THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 04:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you think about it?

Good idea! Even if you have to pay for it...
- 9 (28.1%)
Bad Idea! Noone will pay for it only because ist animated...
- 8 (25%)
Meh... I don't care...
- 15 (46.9%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: 01 Dec 2005, 01:46

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CTRL+ALT+DEL animated series  (Read 23956 times)

torg

CTRL+ALT+DEL animated series
« on: 01 Dec 2005, 01:46 »

CTRL+ALT+DEL will get its own animated series that you can get as a part of their premium stuff.
Will that be the next big thing after free webcomics? Animated series that you get as a part of a webcomics premium package?
When will Jeph start the QC animated series?

Discuss!

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #1 on: 01 Dec 2005, 05:46 »

I don't think this is the next big thing. Not all artists are good at animation. So then you gotta hire someone to aniate for you. So if it is something you have to pay for, then the creator won't get to keep that money, instead he's sinking it into someone to animate things for him/her.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

ASturge

« Reply #2 on: 01 Dec 2005, 06:10 »

CAD stopped being really that funny ages ago.

It's sad, it used to rock.

Cpt.Fantastic

« Reply #3 on: 01 Dec 2005, 06:40 »

Doesn't help that Absath's a cock.

torg

« Reply #4 on: 01 Dec 2005, 10:20 »

the trailer looked quite good to me... although i have to agree that it certainly wont be the next big thing. But the same was said of ringtones for cell phones, too...

Mnementh

« Reply #5 on: 01 Dec 2005, 13:56 »

Quote from: Cpt.Fantastic

I think he's a pretty nice dude, and hilarious when drunk.

Rauko

« Reply #6 on: 01 Dec 2005, 14:21 »

Man, I'm not a fan of threatening violence upon other people. - Mnem

twentyfour

« Reply #7 on: 01 Dec 2005, 14:28 »

Quote from: Cpt.Fantastic

?

He draws amazingly well for a bird!

I think this project is really gonna take off(of course I'm terribly biased). The quality is really good from what I've seen(a rarity on this here interweb), I'd like to hear some of the voice actors and see how the video editing goes. Needless to say I subscribed for a year. :) I contacted Tim about 6 months ago to see if maybe he'd be interested in me animating something for him. No response. I guess I'm gonna haveta find out what studio is handling this and see if they need a freelancer!

Sideways

« Reply #8 on: 01 Dec 2005, 14:38 »

What do people have against Tim?

He seems like a really nice guy!

Is this just one of those things where he's a 'cock' because he's doing something he loves, and is successful at it... therefore people are acting jealous?

cacahuate

« Reply #9 on: 01 Dec 2005, 15:39 »

There's been some debate over Tim, and whether or not he showed his genitalia to some forum-goers a while ago. Caused some major strife on his own forum.

At any rate, I don't think it matters whether or not you like the guy, just whether his comic is up to par... and he has seemingly made the complete switch from gag to full-length, dramatic story. Which is kind of sad. The shorter stories (Mac Panthers was great) were better.

From the trailer I saw, the animated sequences looked fine, I just don't think it'll be anything new.

Stifled Dreams

« Reply #10 on: 01 Dec 2005, 16:18 »

I think he seems like he'd be a nice person! I also think that doing the whole animation thing is kinda cool, I'm sure it will be smooth. I just won't pay for it, though; I only buy things on the internet that I really, really want.

Rauko

« Reply #11 on: 01 Dec 2005, 16:44 »

I was a huge fan when he first started up.  I stumbled onto his website the day his second comic came out.  I followed it for a while and liked his stuff and I had a really good t-shirt idea.  I e-mailed it too him and never got a response back.  One day he had a news post along the lines of "some user submitted this idea and I liked it."  It was obvious that it was my idea well... because it was nearly word for word what I had sent him.  I sent him another e-mail letting that said thanks and that I was the guy that sent in the design idea.  His reply was "oh, that was you."  After that he never replied to any of my e-mails.  I wasn't expecting any money or a t-shirt or anything like that.  A thank you, an acknowledgement, something like that would have been nice.  It was one his most popular shirt designs and he kept it up until he overhauled his merch section and took all the old designs back.

I put it all behind me and stopped reading his comic.  A couple of my friends had started a comic and wanted to make an online group of comic artists sort of like Dailyfree Press before DFP existed.  I suggested they ask Tim because his comic was catching on and maybe they could get some traffic.  They chatted back in forth and the entire time Tim was a complete asshole to me and my friends.  When he found out that I was helping those guys out he stopped talking to any of us.  I refuse to have anything to do with him now.

Sideways

« Reply #12 on: 02 Dec 2005, 09:10 »

I've e-mailed Gabe & Tycho a few times, for different reasons.  I've never received a reply.  I don't think that they're dickheads because of that.  They get over a million people visiting their site a day.

Tim gets around 200,000 people daily.

You're lucky to have received a reply at all.

I'm not trying to take sides, I'm just saying that when someone gets such a massive volume of correspondence... condemning them for not replying to your specific e-mail/letter/whatever is pretty ignorant.

Now, when someone says the person was an 'asshole' when dealing with other people, I like to ask for some examples.

I've dealt with Bryan Adams (Canadian Musician) a few times.  He's a real asshole.

When I tell people this, I don't just leave it at that.  I explain "WHY" he is an asshole.  The why, in this particular case, is because he treats everyone as being below him, he's a nasty, foul-mouthed and caustic individual, and he throws fucking temper-tantrums when he doesn't get his way.

There, that explains my statement of him being an asshole.

Something you guys have failed to do with regards to Tim.

instead there was the light insinuation that he may have bared himself to his forum... but no explanation as to what happened...

Then there was the 'He didn't even say thank you' which does seem kind of dickish, but if that's all the evidence there is of him being an asshole... then it's not much.

Rauko

« Reply #13 on: 05 Dec 2005, 14:15 »

Did you read my post...
I exchanged dozens of e-mails and I've talked to my friend who made the ony webcomic talked to him on the phone once.  He's given me nothing but grief from day one, before he had 200k readers.  Most of my stuff went down when he had a couple hundred, probably less.

I try not to hold grudges against people and two date I've got two.  One is with Tim and the other with someone who tried to steal money from me pretending that a close friend of mine was in trouble.

Cpt.Fantastic

« Reply #14 on: 06 Dec 2005, 00:48 »

Have you ever visited the CAD forums?

It was a better place BEFORE he banned almost all of the main posters.

I still read CAD because the story is kinda picking up again but it is not as good as it used to be.

Also:
http://www.cad-forums.com/showthread.php?t=44434

darkhorizons

« Reply #15 on: 06 Dec 2005, 19:16 »

The CAD animated series looked great a first glance, but honestly, now that I'm thinking of it, it's just going to take attention from the comic.  Which would make me sad.  I want <insert guy's name here, which I forget at the moment> to focus on the comic, not some ulterior goal.

jarofflies

« Reply #16 on: 08 Dec 2005, 19:55 »

Quote from: torg
the trailer looked quite good to me... although i have to agree that it certainly wont be the next big thing. But the same was said of ringtones for cell phones, too...

I just wish it had voices.

GebStar

• Furry furrier
« Reply #17 on: 08 Dec 2005, 23:13 »

I'm a casual fan of CAD and enjoy the comics. When i heard that there would be an animated series i thought, AWESOME, when i heard you needed to pay i though, What a gyp.

The thing that would concern me most with this animated series is, wether the animated stuff is going to be new material, (i.e. not old strips made into an episode) and if the episodes are going to be original, is this going to take away from the updated comic which the non-premium members enjoy. Writing for one comic would be hard enough, but writing a completely different story line for the animated version would be hell. One of them if going to suffer and im assuming it's going to be the comic.
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

HeroX

« Reply #18 on: 13 Dec 2005, 13:59 »

i started reading ctrl alt del a while back and continue to. i agree that the short story lines that spanned a handful of comics were (on the whole) funnier, but it's still well done. a lot of the questions brought up here have been answered by tim. if i remember correctly blind ferret is doing the animation. they're basing the animation on character sketches tim has submitted and previous strips. from the preview it looks like they've done a good job keeping the same feel as the strip. the story line for the comic is completely written by tim. the reason you have to pay for it is because, while ctrl alt del can survive on donations and merch seeing as how it's only a few ppl involved, the studio which makes the animated series has a many more employees that need to get paid for their work.

as for whether tim is an asshole or not, i have no opinion

random side note: bryan adams live acoustic cd is really good. why are so many good musicians assholes?

MutantCircus

« Reply #19 on: 15 Dec 2005, 01:45 »

The current quality of CAD strips is not enough to motivate me to pay for the animations, nor do I think it will generate enough money to go on for much longer than the current contracts Tim should just put some ads on the pages with animation and let advertising pay for the animation thw way it does for his site. I don't know about you but I'd much rather ignore some banners or close some popups rather than shell out money from my own pocket.

casull

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • LJ
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jan 2006, 02:19 »

Quote from: MutantCircus
The current quality of CAD strips is not enough to motivate me to pay for the animations, nor do I think it will generate enough money to go on for much longer than the current contracts Tim should just put some ads on the pages with animation and let advertising pay for the animation thw way it does for his site. I don't know about you but I'd much rather ignore some banners or close some popups rather than shell out money from my own pocket.

Umm... He posted a couple of weeks ago about being surprised at how many people had registered. For the time being, I think it will support itself. He's also continuing the regular comic for free, it's not as though he's straight up asking for money to read it. Besides, he's put a lot of time and effort into it, if it makes him some money, more power too him. I don't expect webcomics to be ascetic artists who work tirelessly to fulfill our every whim.

Oh, and expecting advertising to cover bandwidth is a little different from expect it to cover overhead at an animation studio. :(

/cad fanboy rant

Some artist's styles will lend themselves to animation more than others.

I think an animated QC would not be a good thing. An animated CAD or vgcats, i can see.

I'm thinking about splitting the $30 with a friend. I do like my CAD.
Say old man, can you play the fiddle?

Iwan

« Reply #21 on: 10 Jan 2006, 09:51 »

I won't say anything until I've seen it. Some are already saying that CAD-animated is a bad idea and that he should have stick to comics.
Give the guy a fair chance; if he is willing to take the risk AND thinks he can pull off maintaining a webcomic and writing scripts, let him. Even if he fails he will be able to tell everybody that he at least tried. The future belongs to those who are not afraid to try (if I ever say something like that again, please put me with the rest of the fortune cookies).

Concerning the comics, I think that they are still pretty good (there have been better off course). I had great fun with Emma while it lasted. Winter-een-mas is pretty cool too.
Besides, don't you think that there are CAD-fans out there going all "QC-used-be-be-cool-but-now-that-indie-snob-is going-all-indepth-personalities-PINTSIZE-4-PREZ".

Just one thing I don't understand; why has he taken down the links page?

torg

« Reply #22 on: 10 Jan 2006, 09:51 »

Seems like Scott Kurtz is trying to do something similar (without the paying) in flash. Just not so... err... good as CAD.

ASturge

« Reply #23 on: 10 Jan 2006, 14:01 »

Quote from: cacahuate
There's been some debate over Tim, and whether or not he showed his genitalia to some forum-goers a while ago. Caused some major strife on his own forum.

My brother was a major PLAYA in showing Tim up there :p

Made me PROUD.

generica

« Reply #24 on: 12 Jan 2006, 11:10 »

Quote from: ASturge
Quote from: cacahuate

My brother was a major PLAYA in showing Tim up there :p

Made me PROUD.

Please do go on...

CAD forums is like Soviet Russia only there are fewer Russians and a better art critiquing comunity which is why I hang around. I was briefly banned for linking to checkerboard nightmare's strip that parodied CAD animated. I stick by what I did, was damn funny.

CAD animated is one step close to world domination for Tim. Blindferret, the producers, made me chuckle with their ideas of broadcasting CAD on TV. Funnier than the strip has been as of late, but I'm a fan so I've signed on.

casull

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • LJ
« Reply #25 on: 13 Jan 2006, 00:04 »

Quote from: GebStar
I'm a casual fan of CAD and enjoy the comics. When i heard that there would be an animated series i thought, AWESOME, when i heard you needed to pay i though, What a gyp.

The thing that would concern me most with this animated series is, wether the animated stuff is going to be new material, (i.e. not old strips made into an episode) and if the episodes are going to be original, is this going to take away from the updated comic which the non-premium members enjoy. Writing for one comic would be hard enough, but writing a completely different story line for the animated version would be hell. One of them if going to suffer and im assuming it's going to be the comic.

Ah, tim has said that it will be all new material, from storyboards done by him. no idea how he has time :S

I was going to register for the CAD forums a while back, but the number of REALLY active posters they had banned (1k+ posts) scared me.
Say old man, can you play the fiddle?

troyamayan

« Reply #26 on: 14 Jan 2006, 18:30 »

I'm tempted to subscribe, just to see what an animated version of a webcomic looks like. Plus, Sohmer's directing, and that guy cracks me up. Not that toooo many QC readers would know who Ryan Sohmer is. Two completely different ends of a spectrum of funny.

torg

« Reply #27 on: 15 Jan 2006, 13:12 »

edscoble

« Reply #28 on: 10 Feb 2006, 14:53 »

I'm an animation student, and CAD animation was fairly average at best, it look like it was animated in Photoshop (which is an easy option but can cause a bit of a jerky movement as you can see in the preview, cell animation tend to be smoother because of course, they're hand drawn)

they have a chance to do it, but the main problem is, it take months to make an animation, for example it took me 2 days to do a 10 second animation, that just 120 drawing (24fps) so 14,400 frame gonna take you a lots longer.

The Simpsons take nearly 8 months an average for every half hours worth of animation, it was mainly done in Korea as it cheaper (think child-labour for animation, but without the child part and a decent liveable wages).

for a first timer, it's a good advance, but it'll take more than 1 person to finish a 10 minutes animation in such a short space of time.

edscoble

« Reply #29 on: 10 Feb 2006, 14:55 »

Quote from: ASturge
CAD stopped being really that funny ages ago.

It's sad, it used to rock.

I wouldn't really says that, granted the old stuff is pretty good, had me in tear a coupl' time, but the current comic is still good, it's just more subtlety done.
Pages: [1]   Go Up