THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 16:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Chronicles of Narnia  (Read 10739 times)

RedLeather

The Chronicles of Narnia
« on: 05 Dec 2005, 11:03 »

Must..see movie..this firday...all..can say..is....it's ABOUT DAMN TIME!

Stifled Dreams

The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #1 on: 05 Dec 2005, 12:14 »

I'm not looking forward to it. I've always had one way that Narnia looked in my mind; I think the movies would ruin that for me. I like living in my own world, I guess.

JJMitchell

The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #2 on: 05 Dec 2005, 13:58 »

CS Lewis didn't want movies made out of the books.
Its marketed towards Christians which means parts of the book will be left out not because there wasn't time but because they could be anti-religion.

No thanks.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #3 on: 05 Dec 2005, 14:33 »

Marketed towards Christians is not the same thing as made for Christians.  I get really sick and tired of all this post-childhood loathing that gets directed towards the Narnia series as soon as people find out it's a Christian allegory.  I read the books as a kid and loved them, so did my brother, so did my mum, so did all my friends, and not a single one of us has converted to Christianity as a result.  Now that I'm older and realise that there's a Christian message in there, but I'm smart enough to be able to view the film on the level of pure fantasy that I enjoyed so much as a kid.

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #4 on: 05 Dec 2005, 17:20 »

this movie doesn't get released in japan until 4.march.2006.

damn.

christian allegory or not, i still want to see it. i loved that book as a kid. sure i have my own views of how the world looked and the movie might ruin that. but that's how it always is with books made into movies and i doubt a bad movie would make me love the book any less. harry potter and the goblet of fire is still my favorite book of the series so far, even though the movie was junk.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

keyoung

• Plantmonster
The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #5 on: 08 Dec 2005, 20:20 »

I'm so excited about this movie!
I actually dressed up as Reepicheep the talking mouse one year for Halloween.  I think I was 7-ish.  I made my own costume.  It had a little sword and everything.
I know I'll end up being unhappy with parts of the movie since I have such a set way things should look in my head.  The chronicles were the first picture-less books I read to myself and the first books I ever remember my mom reading to me. Even though I'm old enough now to understand the Christian allegory it does not really "detract" from the story for me like it does for some people I know.  I am not Christian, and from a completely non-religious point of view I would argue that the Bible does have some neat stories in it. As do the Mahabharata, the Buddhist Scriptures, the Tao Te Ching (OK, so that one does not really have stories so much as really confusing poems) etc.
I don't think this movie is going to convert anybody.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #6 on: 09 Dec 2005, 05:45 »

Never read the books, but I went to see it last night.

Let's just say that I was sufficiently impressed to go read the books now. I have no way of judging how the two media compare. It would seem that they left some stuff out - I didn't see a talking mouse, for example - but the movie on it's own was pretty quality.

I'm looking to going home so I can read the Chronicles myself over Christmas.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

StupidityKills

The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #7 on: 09 Dec 2005, 08:51 »

I want to see it because I read it and also because I loooooved the tv version that was on when I was younger. I can still remember it so well. Its out tonight actually but alas I have no money/time to go. Still, very excited indeed.

Mnementh

The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #8 on: 09 Dec 2005, 11:04 »

Quote from: Inlander
Marketed towards Christians is not the same thing as made for Christians.  I get really sick and tired of all this post-childhood loathing that gets directed towards the Narnia series as soon as people find out it's a Christian allegory.  I read the books as a kid and loved them, so did my brother, so did my mum, so did all my friends, and not a single one of us has converted to Christianity as a result.  Now that I'm older and realise that there's a Christian message in there, but I'm smart enough to be able to view the film on the level of pure fantasy that I enjoyed so much as a kid.

You know, he may have had some allegory to christianity in there, but they were kids books first and formost.  Hell, his wife was a jewish woman from NYC, one of his sons is a pastor, the other is a rabbi.

Oh to be prince caspian
afloat upon the sea

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #9 on: 09 Dec 2005, 11:46 »

The Christian allegory is pretty thick, but the books are still incredibly awesome as kids' fantasy novels. I've been wanting to see this movies for months. Looks bloody great.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Kid Modernist

The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #10 on: 09 Dec 2005, 11:47 »

Yeah, I agree with you Mnementh, I mean, one of the book's allegory is arguing that it doesn't matter what your religion is, as long as you lead a good life and mean well.

One of the Calormenes who worship Narnia's version of the devil gets into heaven, and they ask Aslan (Jesus) why he is in heaven if he worshiped the devil and Aslan says that basically he lead a good life and did good deeds, and "Nothing good can be done in the devil's name, nothing bad can be done in mine." or something like that.

Mr. Jimmy

The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #11 on: 09 Dec 2005, 18:23 »

I will see it.

ayePod

The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #12 on: 11 Dec 2005, 02:57 »

Christian allegory 'controversy' aside,I though this movie was absolutely hum-dinging. There is absolutely no character development whatsoever. Sure,the battle scenes are awesome but why not just watch Lord Of The Rings.

It - An extremely bad adaption of a childrens classic.

Me - Disgruntled movie fan and broken childhood.

Simulacra

The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #13 on: 12 Dec 2005, 00:56 »

Quote from: Switchblade
I didn't see a talking mouse, for example - but the movie on it's own was pretty quality.

Meh, Reepicheep doesn't show up til prince caspian, book 2.  the mice were given the power of speech because of the help they gave aslan on the stone table.

Kid: that scene in the last battle wasn't so much about the fact that the calormene did good things, but that he worshipped something wholeheartedly and faithfully and that kind of worship can never be given to something evil.

I felt the movie was rushed.  they left out some really good stuff and added some stuff that wasn't there to make it more exciting (e.g. the waterfall scene)  but all in all i enjoyed it after i divorced myself from my memories of the book.  it was still a good film.

Rawr and Stuff

The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #14 on: 12 Dec 2005, 05:09 »

The movie was alright, just it definately had Disney written all over it. But then again you can't be expecting a truly epic movie with a PG rating. It could've been done better for sure.

nihilist

The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #15 on: 12 Dec 2005, 11:25 »

Eh.  I went.  I left.  Two point five hours of my life gone.  I'll take the books + my imagination any day.

Also: fuck kids that sit in theatres and scream about what is happening.  What the fuck.  If I'm a parent, my kids will be ball-gagged.

LeeZion

• Larger than most fish
I thought, wow.
« Reply #16 on: 12 Dec 2005, 14:14 »

Read books as child. Read them again as an adult. Loved the movie. They got it right; the only things I disliked were MINOR quibbles — unlike the Harry Potter movies, which I put up with rather than enjoy.

Here are two of my minor quibbles: The White Witch, to me, wasn't white enough. Her skin should have looked dead. Also, in my mind, the professor was supposed to look like a professor, not Jim Broadbent trying to look like Michael Palin pretending to be a professor in some Monty Python TV skit.

I've seen Tilda Swinton in other movies, so I knew in advance that she would make an excellent White Witch. And she was — one scene nearly knocked me out of my seat, when Edmund arrives at her castle. She sweetly questions him, then flies into a rage. Now that was powerful stuff, and it was done without special effects. just people being people.

They seemed to get what the Harry Potter movie crew didn't — that what makes a movie memorable are scenes of people interacting. All the special effects in the world can't save clunky dialogue.

As to the person who complained about the lack of character development, there wasn't much in the books, either. Nor was there any in Lord of the Rings. Just a bunch of generic British heroes being generically heroic.
"If now I have found grace in thy sight, put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me." (Genesis 47:29 KJV)

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • All roads lead to WAAAGH!
The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #17 on: 18 Dec 2005, 22:35 »

Just got back from it. It is fucking awesome. FUCKING AWESOME.
I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome, Swooping down from heaven to carry me home.

Tenge

• Not quite a lurker
The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #18 on: 19 Dec 2005, 00:03 »

Oooh, mixed ratings. Go opinions ^_^.

Anyway, its been a while since I read the books or saw the tv series. But the movie doesn't look too bad from its ads, as it's yet to come out here. I'd see it just for the eye candy it's looking like.

Go low movie watching standards! Glee!

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #19 on: 19 Dec 2005, 03:21 »

I rather enjoyed it. Went to see it with the girl friend. Neither of us could remember much of the books which we both read as kids.
I thought the effects were brilliantly done and it was only noticable once or twice. I would have preferred more British accents and a whiter witch but otherwise I really enjoyed it.
The acting was good for kids but still pretty ham-fisted as far as I'm concerned. It didn't hinder the movie though. Just one more thing on that, Lucy, shut your goddamn mouth for once!
Jesus or not I rather liked Aslan and the Minotaur general, both were excellent uses of CGI.
Tilda Swinton was a suitably evil witch. Her scenes in the battle were very impressive too.
All in all I'd give it an 8 out of 10.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

amishgirl281

The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #20 on: 25 Dec 2005, 14:45 »

About the allegory thing, it can be found anywhere as long as there is a battle between the forces of good, and the forces of evil. Now, I am a Christian and I understand that C.S. Lewis wrote the Chronicles of Narnia as his witness and such, but that doesn't mean anything honeslty. If you don't want to see the allegory, then don't. If you don't want to get anything out of it, then don't. Just please, don't knock the book or say 'I won't see it, it's just Christian crap' just because you don't want to see the allegory. Heck, I did a paper for school on the Christian Allegory that can be found in Harry Potter! Seriously, if you look hard enough, it is in almost every story with a good against evil type plot.

Now onto the movie :)

I loved it. The scene on the stone table made me cry as it always does (I'm a big fan of the old movies with Angelica Houston as the White Witch). I was amazed by the White Witch's preformance. She was exactly what I always immagined her to be, just as beautiful, powerful, and deadly. Also, it may just have been my over active and perverted immagination, but did anyone else get a Mr. Tumnus/Lucy romance vibe? Yes, I know, he's over 100 and she's a little girl, but it just seemed to me that by the end...there was something else besides friendship.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #21 on: 26 Dec 2005, 08:34 »

God has like 50% of the world become so jaded that their sense of suspended disbelief has faded.  You people are insufferable.

Its a movie, its not required to broaden your mind and change your life.  If you sit back, relax, and just watch, you'll find movies alot more entertaining, esp epic fantasies.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Bearer

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • The Corgi Commands Awesome
The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #22 on: 26 Dec 2005, 10:38 »

I saw the movie, and I must say that, christian refrences aside, it was amazing.  It had a great director (or at least he was good in this film), the opening credits and battle scenes were done verry well, and over all, the graphical style of the animals fit.  They were a tad cartooney which fell into place with the setting quite well.  I enjoyed the books as a kid, and I enjoyed the movie.  btw, it was the best book to movie translation i've sen in a while, if not the best.  That all being said, the uncanny ammount of christian refrences will turn people off to the movie, but if you don't mind it that much, I highly recomend seeing it.
Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #23 on: 26 Dec 2005, 11:14 »

I think the film laid the christian references on a bit thick myself. Especially compared to other screen and stage adapations (ie the BBC version, the Royal Shakespeare Company's stage version, the liscensced stage version): the script, as well as the use of lighting and music,  rather hammered home Aslan's divinity as well as certain other points. I'll have to check, for example, but I don't think that that fantastically Christ-like "It is finished" is in the original. There was even some sort of attempt to change the theology into perhaps a more modern or protestant form: I didn't catch any references to the Emperor Over the Sea (God), and they removed the distinction between the Deep Magic From the Dawn of Time (The Old Testament) and the Deeper Magic From Before the Dawn of Time (The New Testament). I thought it was a decent film. It suffered a bit from lackluster child acting, trying too hard to be Lord of the Rings, and trying to take itself a bit too seriously, which made the retro fifties childrens book aspects stick out too much. Still, a good film. I take it as definite proof that it is now entirely possible to make very good secondary world fantasy films, and that Lord of the Rings was not a fluke. I hope to see a new surge of such films in the future: it's now not beyond the bounds of possibility for films to be made of the more popular fantasy novels such as The Sword of Shannara and Edding's Belgariad series. There are two things my heart really yearns for though: First, decent Discworld films. Second, I sincerely hope Jackson can secure the rights to The Hobbit. The Hobbit is the best childrens book ever: though Tolkien and Lewis were both contemporaries, friends, academics and devout Catholics (indeed, it was Tolkien converted Lewis to Catholicism) only one of them was a genius. And his name wasn't Clive.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Vlishgnath

The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #24 on: 27 Dec 2005, 08:36 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Second, I sincerely hope Jackson can secure the rights to The Hobbit.

"New Line have the rights to produce a film of The Hobbit, but it has to be distributed by MGM. If you remember, about six or eight months ago, MGM was bought by Sony, which was frustrating, because it looked like Time Warner [New Line's parent corporation] was going to be the buyer -- and then all the rights would've been in the family. But now Sony and New Line will have to talk to each other. I keep asking about it, just out of interest, but they haven't sat down yet. Hopefully someday the phone will ring -- "Hey, let's do The Hobbit" -- which I'd be perfectly happy to do."

-Peter Jackson

Source (full quote is pasted here anyway)

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #25 on: 29 Dec 2005, 14:00 »

Khar: I have my doubts about a decent Discworld movie, too much of the really important/awesome stuff isn't speech or blocking/action, and would be hard to put into a movie. On the other hand, if they turned the Belgariad into a movie series, I would dance and cry like a small child.

I am going to see Narnia in the new year, once I can be guaranteed there won't be any kids in the cinema with me. Goddamnit I hate being in the cinema with kids. I'm looking forward to it, though I think I'll be a little disappointed. The White  Witch looks awesome, and Liam Neeson as Aslan is                                                             beautiful casting, but the trailer made it look like the children are going to let it down a little.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Sideways

The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #26 on: 29 Dec 2005, 14:08 »

I thoroughly UN-enjoyed this movie.

But I can't fault the movie itself... what I didn't enjoy was the story, and how completely nonsensical some of it was.  I guess I needed to read it as a child, so I could adore it for what it is, rather than seeing an adaptation of it as an adult - and being exposed to the whole NARNIA thing for the first time thusly - and becoming very critical of it.

It felt like a poor man's LOTR.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #27 on: 29 Dec 2005, 15:27 »

Quote from: Sideways
I thoroughly UN-enjoyed this movie.

But I can't fault the movie itself... what I didn't enjoy was the story, and how completely nonsensical some of it was.  I guess I needed to read it as a child, so I could adore it for what it is, rather than seeing an adaptation of it as an adult - and being exposed to the whole NARNIA thing for the first time thusly - and becoming very critical of it.

It felt like a poor man's LOTR.

Suspended disbelief, look it up.

Sideways

The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #28 on: 29 Dec 2005, 15:35 »

Yeah... thanks for patronizing.

Just because I didn't like something you liked doesn't mean you have to get snotty.

Subject Philosophy / relativism... look it up.

:)

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #29 on: 29 Dec 2005, 18:12 »

touche ;)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #30 on: 31 Dec 2005, 07:05 »

Quote from: Hat
Khar: I have my doubts about a decent Discworld movie, too much of the really important/awesome stuff isn't speech or blocking/action, and would be hard to put into a movie. On the other hand, if they turned the Belgariad into a movie series, I would dance and cry like a small child.

They'd just have to do their adaptation properly. Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music have both been turned into decent cartoon series, and Mort, Guards! Guards!, The Colour of Magic and the Light Fantastic have all been done as graphic novels or comics. As long as they can pare down the plot without losing too much, which the abridged cassette audiobooks prove is possible (all it really takes is shaving off a few sub-plots or less funny scenes most of the time), and, crucially, DON'T MAKE ANYTHING NEW UP, then a decent script would be easy. Of course, decent direction, casting, set design, make-up and special effects would all need to be heftily included. And I do recall that Pratchett himself is opposed to films.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #31 on: 31 Dec 2005, 07:48 »

it doesn't look like narnia, it just looks like new zealand

and small gods would make a good movie
i'm reading it now, and bill bailey would fit didactylos pretty well
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
The Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #32 on: 31 Dec 2005, 08:21 »

I'd just like to point out that the "S" in "C.S. Lewis" stands for "Staples."

Staples.

That is all.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.
Pages: [1]   Go Up