THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Something I Call Faux-Vectors  (Read 16121 times)

beckrokk

Something I Call Faux-Vectors
« on: 06 Dec 2005, 06:04 »

These were done with the pen tool in Photoshop and the brush for minor touch-ups. Each took four hours to finish despite the difference in size.

All constructive criticism is welcome.

Kid Modernist

« Reply #1 on: 06 Dec 2005, 11:42 »

Did you seriously completely draw these, or are they pictures with filters over them?

If you hand drew them, then these are pretty awesome.

beckrokk

« Reply #2 on: 06 Dec 2005, 12:42 »

I hand did them using the pen tool and the brush in Photoshop. Thank you.

Luke

« Reply #3 on: 06 Dec 2005, 12:46 »

Is the first one single?

I jest. Awesome work!

Stifled Dreams

« Reply #4 on: 06 Dec 2005, 12:51 »

Am I going crazy? The second one looks really familiar. Have you posted it somewhere before?

I like them a lot, though! On the first one, if you changed the shape to be like... more hair-like (smoother ends?) it would look even cooler, I think.

beckrokk

« Reply #5 on: 06 Dec 2005, 13:32 »

I may have posted the second one before, and I used the search before I  made this thread and couldn't find it.

Smoother hair, huh? Interesting idea.

And both of the girls are celebrities. Christina Ricci and Elisha Cuthbert, respectively.

Bunnyman

« Reply #6 on: 06 Dec 2005, 23:00 »

Mmmm Vectors.

I love this stuff...does the work of a photo but only through the relationship of color zones instead of gradients.  Simple, elegant, extremely cool.

The fact that it took me another look to notice the pattern on the shirt in the first one is rather good...kinda distracting now tho.

The second one is a more solid piece technically, the first is a better composition.

saturnine1979

« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2005, 10:01 »

while i don't really understand why one would want this sort of look, you did a damn fine job of recreating vectors in photoshop. i definitely applaud you for that.

Jamoky

« Reply #8 on: 04 Jan 2006, 21:04 »

uh, i thought the pen tool in photoshop was vector?

Anson

« Reply #9 on: 05 Jan 2006, 00:27 »

The pen tool in Photoshop IS a vector tool. Most people use Illustrator for this technique though.

Some gooders:
http://www.designchapel.com/

One that my classmate did:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/wool_power/2344.html

Justin

« Reply #10 on: 05 Jan 2006, 01:23 »

hey great stuff beckrokk, ya got anymore? or a website perhaps? keep it up!

beckrokk

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2006, 18:21 »

As far as I know, these things aren't truly vectors because if I were to resize them, they would lose quality. From what I learned in Flash class, a true vector image is one that can be resized without losing quality. Thus, Faux-vectors.

But hell, I'm probably wrong. And yes, here are some more:

ozphactor

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #12 on: 21 Jan 2006, 18:25 »

That's pretty freakin' awesome.

almost thursday

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jan 2006, 19:03 »

that guitar picture is even better than robots.

beckrokk

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jan 2006, 23:53 »

The guitar one is of Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead that I did for a friend. It took me about 15 hours.

Justin

« Reply #15 on: 23 Jan 2006, 18:48 »

really cool stuff man :)

kid_militia

« Reply #16 on: 23 Jan 2006, 22:56 »

pretty cool stuff. If I have one critique, its your method. If you're using this style with the pen tool, why not use illustrator and utilize vectors? Or if you're going to use photoshop, why not save yourself some time and nerves and just use the paintbrush with the same cut-down style/palette? In my opinion, one of those two things would give you more for your effort.

beckrokk

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jan 2006, 02:37 »

Thank you for your opinions.

However, I do not have the patience to use the brush throughout the making of these things. If anything, the pen tool makes things easier because it allows for precise curves and the Fill option is a dream come true. While I do have Illustrator, I've only opened it twice by accident. I'm sure it has vectoring options like you mentioned, but where's the fun and creativity in it if you can click your mouse once or twice and have what I have? I actually like doing things the hard way because it strengthens my abilities with the tools at hand and it gives me time to enjoy my music while I work.

But thank you all the same. Maybe one day I'll see what Illustrator is all about.

Tenjou

« Reply #18 on: 24 Jan 2006, 08:07 »

Very nice work!  I use what you call "faux-vectors" quite a bit so I know what goes into them.  The fact that it can take sometimes upwards of fifteen hours to complete a single image makes it all the more rewarding, though.

Cave Monster

Flash
« Reply #19 on: 26 Jan 2006, 04:19 »

You mentioned a Flash class. I think that Flash is an amazing, simple tool for vector work. If I were you, my next step might be to try working without the photoreference, Your color sense is great, you have amazing patience. Try a still life, I'd love to see it.

beckrokk

« Reply #20 on: 26 Jan 2006, 11:46 »

That sounds like quite a challenge. I'd love to try it as well. Unfortunately, I don't have Flash. Of course I could "get it" (nudge nudge wink wink) but I'd really rather not. Thanks for the compliments as well. Maybe I'll see if I can't do something along those lines anyway.

kid_militia

« Reply #21 on: 27 Jan 2006, 00:13 »

Quote from: beckrokk
While I do have Illustrator, I've only opened it twice by accident. I'm sure it has vectoring options like you mentioned, but where's the fun and creativity in it if you can click your mouse once or twice and have what I have? I actually like doing things the hard way because it strengthens my abilities with the tools at hand and it gives me time to enjoy my music while I work.

But thank you all the same. Maybe one day I'll see what Illustrator is all about.

It's actually got the pen tool just like you are using, the benefit would be that its real vectors and benefits from the whole scaling thing. I totally understand the thing about maintaining creativity and skill building, its just that your abilities in this style would probably only get better with the added benefits that illustrator has to offer.

(^_^)
Pages: [1]   Go Up