THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 05:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Dismemberment Plan  (Read 4503 times)

Weird-Edsel

The Dismemberment Plan
« on: 10 Dec 2005, 00:32 »

I'm very saddened that not many people have heard of this group. Or maybe it's just the people I talk to. Anywho. I just bought Emergency and I and I must say it is one of my favorites now. They are so spaztic. It's a shame they disbanded in 2003. :\

Spartan Pho3nix

The Dismemberment Plan
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2005, 00:57 »

They're hella spastic dude. Listen to their album "Change" for a completly different sound.

Weird-Edsel

The Dismemberment Plan
« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2005, 02:41 »

Thats what I like about them. Their guitars are like random and off-key. It's like they got together one rehearsal and the guitarist said "Look at my new idea for a song!" and flailed his hands on the guitar and they set it to print.

ayePod

The Dismemberment Plan
« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2005, 03:23 »

I used to listen to "8.5 Minutes" all the time when I had to make the trek to my old job. It definetly bashed my head sufficiently enough to wake me.

Freezey

The Dismemberment Plan
« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2005, 18:34 »

This is like my favourite band at the moment. "The Dismemberment Plan is Terrified" is one of the very few albums out there that keeps me guessing the whole listenthrough- it's so incredibly spastic and weird, I love it! Just imagining the songs from that album in a live setting gives me chills- from the sounds of it, Travis Morrison would be an absolute madman in a live setting. It's like pure energy in music-form.

RUMBLEMOOSE

The Dismemberment Plan
« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2005, 18:40 »

The amazing thing about the D-Plan was that they sounded so random and odd, but if you listen really closely, everything was actually meticulously arranged and intentional. The out-of-tune guitar sound is actually just really jarring blue chords, for the most part (unless you're listening to a bootleg where the guitars are honestly out of tune).

That and the speaking-no-wait-singing-no-wait-screaming-like-a-maniac style, which is hard to imitate without becoming kind of self-conscious.

Coonstar

The Dismemberment Plan
« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2005, 01:10 »

I totally agree about Travis Morrison's crazy vocal skills. Especially Girl O'Clock. Wow.

Freezey

The Dismemberment Plan
« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2005, 17:07 »

Yeah that was another good one. Does anybody know if Travis Morrison's solo album is good? I've read mixed reviews...

FallDownTree

The Dismemberment Plan
« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2005, 17:12 »

Happy to see some DC band love here!  My hometown puts out some good stuff.  I love Dismemberment Plan.

I haven't heard T-Mo's solo album yet, but here's a link to Dismemberment Plan's live performance on KEXP:

http://www.kexp.org/aspnet_client/KEXPViewMediaGroup.aspx?rID=171&pID=528&fID=539&artist=AI

sjbrot

The Dismemberment Plan
« Reply #9 on: 11 Dec 2005, 20:03 »

Quote from: Freezey
Yeah that was another good one. Does anybody know if Travis Morrison's solo album is good? I've read mixed reviews...

Like it getting a score of 0.0 from Pitchfork, which is unbelievable?

chrysalidigm

The Dismemberment Plan
« Reply #10 on: 11 Dec 2005, 20:06 »

major fan. i think their website has a whole heap of downloadable mp3s up as well, including a lovely cover of close to me.

yeah, new. hi.

Merkava

Re: The Dismemberment Plan
« Reply #11 on: 14 Dec 2005, 13:26 »

Quote from: Weird-Edsel
I'm very saddened that not many people have heard of this group. Or maybe it's just the people I talk to. Anywho. I just bought Emergency and I and I must say it is one of my favorites now. They are so spaztic. It's a shame they disbanded in 2003. :\

You think THAT's spastic? Check out The Dismemberment Plan is Terrified. That record is pretty underrated, IMO. Amazing Indiespaz.

Also, The Plan = my favorite band.

As for Travis' solo debut. It creates it's own genre. Suckcore. Ok, I'll be nice. Dissapointcore. Either way, it makes me cry. I wish he'd do more spaz and take out some of the cheesey keyboards (Change's chorus is vomit-inducing).

WHY TRAVIS WHY!?

EDIT: I wish they'd release some major collection for them. It would be great to have some live stuff and rare tracks. Just thinking about something like that would make me hard. :P

rive gauche

The Dismemberment Plan
« Reply #12 on: 14 Dec 2005, 14:02 »

Quote from: FallDownTree
I haven't heard T-Mo's solo album yet, but here's a link to Dismemberment Plan's live performance on KEXP:

http://www.kexp.org/aspnet_client/KEXPViewMediaGroup.aspx?rID=171&pID=528&fID=539&artist=AI

That made me smile.

keyoung

• Plantmonster
The Dismemberment Plan
« Reply #13 on: 14 Dec 2005, 14:14 »

I do not really have anything new to add here, but I adore the Dismemberment Plan.  Their shows were always fun too.

Merkava

The Dismemberment Plan
« Reply #14 on: 14 Dec 2005, 14:23 »

Quote from: rive gauche
Quote from: FallDownTree

That made me smile.

I loved his LL Cool J cover and the way he messed up on The City, but I can't seem to find a way to put any of the songs on my MP3 player, and I'd also love to listen to a full-band performance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up