THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 02:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: on the murder of the english language  (Read 17601 times)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
on the murder of the english language
« on: 08 Nov 2005, 15:34 »

a nice take on the subject from Scott:

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=171

prognosis: awesomesssssss

Garcin

« Reply #1 on: 08 Nov 2005, 17:39 »

Scott, for the win.  I think that his take on the story behind Ms. Pacman was created is one of the funniest thing that has ever been created by man.  Although PA's take on what certain certain gaming systems are doing to the English language was pretty funny as well.

nescience

« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2005, 23:34 »

The little PA dots are the webcomix incarnation of Lynne Truss!

le uber face d'taz

« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2005, 00:46 »

the destruction and slaying of the language is ridiculously rampant in my part of town, around sydney australia. the crazy crazy use of shorthands...bah.especially numbers which are secretly inflitrating the letters. 2, 4, 8...a thousand curses upon their heads

le uber face d'taz

« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2005, 00:47 »

the destruction and slaying of the language is ridiculously rampant in my part of town, around sydney australia. the crazy crazy use of shorthands...bah.especially numbers which are secretly inflitrating the letters. 2, 4, 8...a thousand curses upon their heads

Sideways

« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2005, 08:40 »

Wtf u t4lkin about?

Actually, what pisses me off more than anything else is people who say - that's right, SAY - "lol".

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2005, 21:23 »

Ell Oh Ell, Oh Emm Gee.

Sadly, I have read a few posts around here that do this kind of ting, and not in an ironic fashion. It makes me sad.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

gmcalpin

« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2005, 14:06 »

Quote from: Sideways
Actually, what pisses me off more than anything else is people who say - that's right, SAY - "lol".

I would say I'm dumbfounded except for the fact that would be, um, kind of obviously inaccurate.

Micolithe

Re: on the murder of the english language
« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2005, 14:08 »

Quote from: est
a nice take on the subject from Scott:

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=171
You know what's sad?
Most people on the VGC forums haven't even seen Resivoir Dogs, and could really really use this lesson.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
Re: on the murder of the english language
« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2005, 16:38 »

You know what else is sad? You misspelled Reservoir.

I know, I know, I'm a jerk. Still, in this thread? Thin ice, buddy. ;)
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

Garcin

« Reply #10 on: 16 Dec 2005, 13:18 »

Something Positive had a great strip about one of the characters dumping his date on the spot when she said "lolled".

I don't understand the general intolerance for forum linguistic shortcuts.   Every medium of communication has it's own vernacular.  You don't talk on the phone the way you would have punched out a telegram in the '20s.  I don't really see a difference between rofl, lol, omg, ftw, et al. and "Roger, Wilco" or "sincerely yours".

What I find abrasive is not the use of the internet lingo, it's the misuse.  OMG doesn't bother me.  OMGGGGGGG!!!!!!! is sort of annoying.  "OmG wat u sayinng" is inexcusable not because of the "OMG" but because it's just sloppy.  But on IM?  You can bet I use "u" "wtf", etc.  because it's appropriate there.  You want to hit enter ASAP.  I'm not retentive enough to review my IM's and my friends aren't retentive enough to mind.

American society was extremely leery about the introduction of the telephone into residences.  There was a lot of talk about it destroying the community and such.  I've read social theorists that suggest  that it took about two decades for a social etiquette to be devised for making and receiving calls.  The internet has been around for more than two decades, but forum culture is still a baby born in the late '90s.  The etiquette is inarguably inchoate.  We're making it up as we go along.

Edit: As pointed out by Valrus, who apparently is working pro bono as my editor.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #11 on: 16 Dec 2005, 15:15 »

Even had that post not been well thought out and written, your use of the word "inchoate" would cause me to forgive any peccadilloes.

Like the one in the last sentence of the third paragraph. ;)

Eventually I'm going to make a mistake of my own in here and someone's going to call me on it, but until then, watch out everyone.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.
Pages: [1]   Go Up