THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 22:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Painting with a tablet > Painting with a brush  (Read 20230 times)

Sonet

Painting with a tablet > Painting with a brush
« on: 17 Dec 2005, 16:07 »

But only because I suck at real painting.

Just turned this in for my very last final... It's not as polished as it should be, but I'm pretty happy with how it's looking. I could still work on it if I really wanted to... But meh. I'm free for three weeks, and I intend to slack off to the fullest extent possible.

http://stu.aii.edu/~adp301/cottage_final.jpg">http://stu.aii.edu/~adp301/cottage_thumb.jpg">

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2005, 09:48 »

Put a face on the Sun. DO EET!
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

monkeyangst

• Not quite a lurker
    • Monkey Law
« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2005, 12:50 »

Wow. I still can't get the hang of generating something from scratch with my tablet. I need to have something on paper first.
Monkey Law - A webcomic for the highly evolved.

Rawr and Stuff

« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2005, 12:57 »

Cool painting, but I think analog painting still wins. At least for me because I can actually feel the paint on the paper and that just helps me control it better. That and you can get high off of it if you get bored ;P

Sonet

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2005, 13:19 »

Heh. If I were to work on it more, the sun would be my first task... It's too blandly orange. It's hard getting across the appearance of an intense glow... And the straw roofing. It's teh sux. Oh well.

Wish I could show you guys the rest of the final illustrations that were turned in. They ranged from jaw-dropping awesome to jaw-dropping horrendous. Some with insane levels of detail and great use of color, to some which had just been started that day in class with the visual coherency of a 5-year-old's idle crayon drawings.

This wasn't done entirely from scratch, though... I had a simple line drawing to start with. Some illustrators, such as http://www.ryanchurch.com/">Ryan Church, can do incredible work completely from scratch, but for most, the better the line drawing to start with, the tighter the final illustration.

Stifled Dreams

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2005, 13:24 »

I need a line-drawing to start with, uhh. And I totally like painting with a brush better, as fun as tablets are. Because having something tangible that you can glop on and move around with your brush and physically mix is SO FUN. I had posted my first painting since like summer yesterday, but I took it down because I want to work on it some more.

Want a critique or no? Pretty rad, but there are a few places it could be tightened. Like the shadows and the mood, though.

Sonet

« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2005, 13:37 »

I've got a lot of ideas about what could make it better, but critique away. The instructor is supposedly e-mailing us his own critiques, as well.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2005, 14:26 »

The perspective on the house is messed up.

You used a brush preset to do the leaves and at least part of the grass- something I've tried in the past but I find it just makes everything look like a Bryce 3D model.

The thatching didn't turn out very well, and it overlaps the tree trunk in the foreground. While you have a good command of lighting (particularly on the surface of the house) you need to work on your textures. The tree trunks don't look like bark. Some of the shading work on the structure of the house is bleeding over onto the windows and door.

Fixing the sun would be easy, it's just a matter of throwing some crafty lighting filters on the background layer. Assuming, of course, that you didn't just paint this all on one layer in Photoshop. There should be light bleeding through the gaps in the leaves. You did some highlighting on the left-hand tree, which is nice, but it's getting overwhelmed by all that flat green.

The shadow on the lefthand tree is pointing the wrong way.

The shading on the house would seem to indicate a light source behind and to the left of the point-of-view, not the sun in the back of the house.

From a compositional point of view, that tree on the right is totally overwhelming the rest of the painting. I'm interested in looking at the big bright white house in the middle of the piece, not the huge blob of solid green leaves covering the top 1/5th of the painting, but those leaves effectively crop out that part of the picture. It doesn't look to me like you were interested in painting the tree so much as obscuring the top of the house.

The painting needs more balance- you've got these big chunks of color all grouped into blobs around the "canvas" like kids at a middle school dance. Mix them up! Pull some of the lighter tones from the house into highlights on the leaves- which, again, shouldn't have been a brush preset if you're going for "fine art", which I'm assuming you were since this is a final project. Take the time and at least do some Impressionistic paint daubs or pointillism or SOMETHING* more interesting to look at. Use more than three shades of green for the foliage- the shrubs probably wouldn't be the same color as the deciduous trees above them. This isn't background art for a comic strip or something meant to compress down into a 256-color PNG file. There's no justification for limiting your pallette in that area. The semi-opaque, blurry leaves in front of the sun look really crappy.

*My current favorite foliage trick is to take an oval or similarly irregularly-shaped brush, crank up the "scatter" setting, and lay down tons and tons of widely dispersed dots. On small scales (ie the size of one of my panels) it pulls of a fairly decent foliage facsimile if you're crafty with the shading.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Sonet

« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2005, 14:44 »

Dude, what the hell, I never critique YOUR work... ... Oh, wait...

Heh. Yeah, texture is one of the things I have a lot of difficulty with, and it's something I intend to practice more. I had to rush this one a bit, thanks to other, weightier finals taking up most of my time. That'll also be my excuse for using the brush preset. Point taken on the pallette, though. Also on the disproportionate weight of the tree in the foreground. It wasn't specifically intended to cover up as much as it did, but that's what ended up happening due to a lack of forethought.

Thanks for the input. I'm buying a tablet of my own probably this week (as opposed to checking them out from the school, which I obviously can't do over break), and I'll definitely get in a good amount of practice with it... Only one day on break, and I already barely know what to do with myself.

Pengraffe

• Admin emeritus
  • Emoticontraindication
« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2005, 14:46 »

I cannot use a tablet to save my life. In fact, I don't even do pencil sketches. However, I can paint with any liquid medium so I have a few suggestions. I'm not sure how much color theory you used, but using a blue grey to affect shading tends to make things look more muddy or smoky than actually in shadow (especially on the door to the house in this case). Better shading can be accomplished by selecting a cooler shade of the same hue. Highlights are best accomplished with warmer shades of the same hue. Something I do know from computer graphics: the eraser tool should be your best friend. Cleaning up little "smudges"(for instance the one over one of your windows) or mistakes (like the thatching in front of the tree) will make your work look much more polished.

Edit: Something i just notice that made me giggle, the orange highlight on the small tree looks like cheese melting over broccoli. This could probably be avoided by using something other than the paintbrush tool for that sort of halo effect. :)
HONK HONK, I'm a pengraffe.

MutantCircus

« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2005, 01:46 »

I've tried both tablet and paintbrushes, and regardless of which is better, that is an awesome picture.

Sideways

« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2005, 15:12 »

If you sat down, with a single layer in photoshop, and painted all of this on the one layer... then it is pretty freaking awesome!!

If you used layers, then I think you really need to pay attention to some of the critiques that have been made already.

The only critique I have is it looks as though there's a transparent portion of the house itself... right around the top-left corner of the door to the house, where the tree branch is... it looks like there's background there, when there should be.......house.

Sonet

« Reply #12 on: 19 Dec 2005, 18:19 »

It was indeed painted all on one layer.

I should have my own 6x8 Intuos3 tablet by the week's end, and I'll be spending some quality time with it, as I don't have any other particular responsibilities to tend to.

Sonet

« Reply #13 on: 23 Dec 2005, 20:02 »

Whee! My Intuos3 tablet came today. It came bundled with Corel Painter Essentials 2... So I gave that a quick whirl, as I've never used Painter before.

Pages: [1]   Go Up