THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 17:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pop punk stuff? anyone?  (Read 8570 times)

JodyAnthony

Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« on: 17 Dec 2005, 21:38 »

Just wondering if any other QC readers are like me, and are proud to say that they like pop punk

some of my favorites: The Mr T Experience, The Queers, The Travoltas, Sweet Baby, Brent's T.V., The Bomb Bassets, Cub, Beards, The Ne'er Do Wells, The Hi-Fives, Go Sailor, Sicko

Anyone else?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2005, 05:37 »

I'll point Shrimp this way when she comes online. This is definitely her sort of topic.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2005, 05:47 »

I wouldn't really classify Cub and Go Sailor as pop punk, but I love the hell out of them.
Cuddlecore '94!
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2005, 07:05 »

Screeching Weasel's My Brain Hurts is a classic.

But in terms of punk, I'm more of a hardcore person if anything.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2005, 07:31 »

I have never heard of any of those pop-punk bands.

I'm guessing if I mentioned I like some of the mainstream pop-punk bands - and I'm even wearing the Blink 182 shirt I bought at their last UK gig ever - then you'd all shit on me.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

JodyAnthony

Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2005, 09:01 »

I really am not the type of person that is a snob about music. People like what they like. I just wanted to know if there was anyone else that reads qc but has at least 2/3rds of the music references go right over their head.

Also, I love the hell out of green day, and they are about as 'mainstream' as you can get

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2005, 09:28 »

Quote from: JodyAnthony
I just wanted to know if there was anyone else that reads qc but has at least 2/3rds of the music references go right over their head.

There's a good portion of us. Pretty much most of the people here who are big into the prog/metal/etc stuff. And I'm sure there are others, those just happen to be the blatantly obvious ones.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

shrimp

Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2005, 09:33 »

Schweet another Pop-Punk fan!

Do you like The Riverdales?

nescience

Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2005, 12:24 »

Quote from: DynamiteKid
and I'm even wearing the Blink 182 shirt I bought at their last UK gig ever

Wait, why was it their last UK gig ever?  Did they break up or something, or did they just get really tired of England?

Micolithe

Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2005, 12:34 »

Quote from: nescience

Wait, why was it their last UK gig ever?  Did they break up or something, or did they just get really tired of England?
I'm pretty sure they broke up recently but I'm not entirely sure.

Catatonik

Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2005, 12:40 »

I adore Punky Brewster.

surgerydrugsnrocknroll

Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2005, 14:18 »

Quote from: Micolithe
Quote from: nescience

I'm pretty sure they broke up recently but I'm not entirely sure.

i think they're on 'indefinite hiatus'
last i heard at least.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2005, 14:51 »

This Bike is a Pipe Bomb!

Its happy educational sing-along punk.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Freezey

Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2005, 21:17 »

Last year I was on such a MTX binge. Mid 90's pop-punk albums are easy to find cheap at used cd stores, I ended up picking up four of their albums for thirty bucks.

Sonet

Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #14 on: 18 Dec 2005, 21:38 »

My band's rhythm guitarist is all about pop-punk. Fortunately, the rest of us aren't. I appreciate it on no more than an ironic level, our drummer views it with a sort of mild bemusement, and our bassist just plain hates it. So we rely on him to tell the guitarist that we're not playing whatever song he wrote.

Combinethresher

Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #15 on: 18 Dec 2005, 22:12 »

I'm listening to the Teen Idols right now, actually. Good solid pop-punk with a tinge of ballsy rock when necessary.

I think MTX and the Queers are overrated though.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #16 on: 19 Dec 2005, 12:27 »

Quote from: Spinless
They haven't seen each other since the 'indefinite hiatus' which I believe was sometime in the summer. Now each member has their own new projects that they're concerned with.  I think Tim Delonge is has formed an emo band...
Definitely looks that way.
I don't listen to blink 182, but I do do research before i post in threads, god bless wiki.

Also, Dammit was the soundtrack to my whole youth before I turned 14. I will always like that song, no matter what.

Exactly. Indefinite hiatus means they've split, basically. Or, that they'll reform for a lucrative reuinion tour in three years and piss on my memories.

Either way, Dammit is an awesome tune!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #17 on: 19 Dec 2005, 12:27 »

Quote from: Spinless
They haven't seen each other since the 'indefinite hiatus' which I believe was sometime in the summer. Now each member has their own new projects that they're concerned with.  I think Tim Delonge is has formed an emo band...
Definitely looks that way.
I don't listen to blink 182, but I do do research before i post in threads, god bless wiki.

Also, Dammit was the soundtrack to my whole youth before I turned 14. I will always like that song, no matter what.

Exactly. Indefinite hiatus means they've split, basically. Or, that they'll reform for a lucrative reuinion tour in three years and piss on my memories.

Either way, Dammit is an awesome tune!

jariku

Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #18 on: 19 Dec 2005, 13:03 »

Quote from: Chesire Cat

...and they're playing in Brno when I'm not here. Dang!

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #19 on: 19 Dec 2005, 13:24 »

As a whole Pop Punk is an awful genre however there are some good exceptions.

The Chucky No Stars are awesome (http://www.purevolume.com/chuckynostars). Ive seen them live twice this year and they were even better second time around.

Plus my mates band are pretty decent, definately better than a lot of Pop Punk that nakes it into the charts.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

sketchyjoe

• Balloon animal serial killer
Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #20 on: 19 Dec 2005, 15:20 »

People misclassify bands as pop-punk too often. I think of it as punk with pop-hooks rather than punk-influenced guitar pop.

There are some classic pop-punk bands like The Buzzcocks, The Adicts or The Undertones. You could even make a good argument for calling the Ramones pop-punk as all they did was play speeded-up 60s pop songs.

I really like ALkaline Trio though I wasn't a big fan of Crimson. The Bouncing Souls are a great pop-punk band and True Believers is probably the greatest pop-punk song ever written.

Other good bands in the genre include The Descendents, The Max LEvine Ensemble, The Bananas, Groovie Ghoulies, THe Lawrence Arms, The Queers, The Soviettes and THe Vandals.
Limber limp with a dry martini

Until....

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #21 on: 19 Dec 2005, 17:33 »

Does anyone like Jackson? I picked up their EP for about $1 a while ago,  and I think they have some really great pop hooks.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #22 on: 19 Dec 2005, 17:42 »

Quote from: sketchyjoe
The Soviettes

I f'ing love the Soviettes.

I'd consider the Ramones as more of pop-punk, but I don't really like the Ramones in the first place.

jred

Ooooooh
« Reply #23 on: 19 Dec 2005, 17:44 »

...There are some classic pop-punk bands like The Buzzcocks, The Adicts or The Undertones. You could even make a good argument for calling the Ramones pop-punk as all they did was play speeded-up 60s pop songs.
Other good bands in the genre include The Descendents, The Max LEvine Ensemble, The Bananas, Groovie Ghoulies, THe Lawrence Arms, The Queers, The Soviettes and THe Vandals.

I'm old, that stuff is more my speed.  Vandals roxu!

What about Dead Milkmen, we aren't forgetting them, are we?

sketchyjoe

Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #24 on: 20 Dec 2005, 01:47 »

The Dead Milkmen are fantastic. Beezlebubba is one of my favourite albums. They've got such a distinctive sound though I've never really labelled them pop-punk.

Until....

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #25 on: 20 Dec 2005, 20:44 »

People misclassify bands as pop-punk too often. I think of it as punk with pop-hooks rather than punk-influenced guitar pop.

There are some classic pop-punk bands like The Buzzcocks, The Adicts or The Undertones. You could even make a good argument for calling the Ramones pop-punk as all they did was play speeded-up 60s pop songs.

I really like Alkaline Trio though I wasn't a big fan of Crimson. The Bouncing Souls are a great pop-punk band and True Believers is probably the greatest pop-punk song ever written.

Other good bands in the genre include The Descendents, The Max LEvine Ensemble, The Bananas, Groovie Ghoulies, The Lawrence Arms, The Queers, The Soviettes and THe Vandals.

Will....will you marry me?
If you're looking for pop-punk, I've also gotta recommend a little band called The Methadone. They play some really fun stuff. I've totally gotta back up The Larry Arms and Alkaline Trio, definately favourites in my book.
I like the way you work it.

Kid Modernist

Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #26 on: 20 Dec 2005, 21:33 »

I like me some Mr. T Experience. I first heard them on this "Short Music for Short People" comp that Fat Wreck Chords did and ended it with seeing them in Berkeley maybe a year ago.

Good stuff for fun.

Combinethresher

Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #27 on: 20 Dec 2005, 22:30 »

The Dead Milkmen are fantastic. Beezlebubba is one of my favourite albums. They've got such a distinctive sound though I've never really labelled them pop-punk.

I never understood that band. They work in theory, in that they're a clever parody of punk as a genre, but they also kind of suck; their singer is really annoying and they don't have enough intensity to compensate for not knowing how to play. I'll concede that they do have a distinctive sound, but that sound is "bad."

sketchyjoe

Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #28 on: 21 Dec 2005, 07:09 »

Quote from: Combinethresher

I never understood that band. They work in theory, in that they're a clever parody of punk as a genre, but they also kind of suck; their singer is really annoying and they don't have enough intensity to compensate for not knowing how to play. I'll concede that they do have a distinctive sound, but that sound is "bad."
The musicianship of the Dead Milkmen is actually pretty high. Dave Blood was a fantastic bassist.

At their best they can make me singalong or giggle like a schoolgirl.
Quote from: Chesire Cat

This Bike Is A Pipe Bomb are brilliant but I've always thought of them as folk-punk.

Until....

StarGirl

Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #29 on: 21 Dec 2005, 09:47 »

I'm a pop-punk/emo sortta girl, basically I like every manisteam band ever mocked on QC....

...Fall Out Boy, All-American Rejects, The Veronicas, Good Charolette, Motion City Soundtrack, Le Tigre, The Killers, Taking Back Sunday, Prozzak, The Bravery, Biff Naked, Eisley, Garbage and Something Corporate

anybody with me on these?

Praeserpium Machinarum

Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #30 on: 21 Dec 2005, 10:39 »

Aside from Garbage and Eisley, nah ;)

If Pretty Girls Make Graves counts as pop-punk then that's the only pop punk I like.

shrimp

Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #31 on: 21 Dec 2005, 11:55 »

Mmmm Teen Idols! They ROCK live! The Queers are pretty sweet live, they stayed on my friend's floor during a recent tour :). The vandals have graced my eyeballs ad eardrums live 4 times!

See the Ghoulies live as well, ahh the wonders of having friends in Belfast's Foremost punk band, and by foremost I mean MOST prolific. :)

surgerydrugsnrocknroll

Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #32 on: 21 Dec 2005, 12:53 »

lets see, i like a whole bunch of this stuff
alkaline trio
the vandals(awesome live show)
groovie ghoulies(another great live band)
guttermouth
nerf herder
the soviettes
screeching weasel
the living end(also good live)
atom and his package(not really sure if he classifies as pop-punk, but i think he does)
old blink 182 and old green day are always fun

and im not sure about this bike is a pipe bomb classifying as pop-punk though, they are more folky, imo

Merkava

Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #33 on: 21 Dec 2005, 15:29 »

Quote from: Awkward Silence
Uhh...if I listen to anything related punk it's hardcore.
That being said, I do own a copy of Nerf Herder's American Cheese.

Nerf Herder is the shit. Van Halen, man. Van Halen. :P

I really have no guilty pleasures. It seems overnight I've become open and mellow about my musical tastes. I'll listen to pop-punk, as long as it's...good? I don't know what I'm trying to say here. >_<

xan

Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #34 on: 21 Dec 2005, 15:48 »

Well, anytime people start naming great bands like the Soviettes, Queers, Descendents and the Dead Milkmen, I guess I've got to add a couple more to the list:

Against Me - Okay, granted more punk than pop-punk, but hey they're on the same label as the Soviettes, so thinking of one makes me think of the other.  Besides, Cliche Guerra from the album As the Eternal Cowboy is probably on my top five punk songs of all time.  

The Bouncing Souls-  No one can beat us.  We drink beer and wear Adidas.  Oh, and they also put on a good live show as well.  

Again, decidedly more punk that pop-punk, but if the above bands made the cut.. meh, obviously everyone's just having a good time and not policing this too hard which is the way these things should be done.

sketchyjoe

Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #35 on: 21 Dec 2005, 16:39 »

[quote="xan]          Against Me - Okay, granted more punk than pop-punk, but hey they're on the same label as the Soviettes, so thinking of one makes me think of the other.  Besides, Cliche Guerra from the album As the Eternal Cowboy is probably on my top five punk songs of all time.[/quote]Their latest album is definitely pop-punk but it's not as good as their earlier folk-punk stuff.

Until....

Combinethresher

Pop punk stuff? anyone?
« Reply #36 on: 21 Dec 2005, 17:38 »

I'm surprised no one's brought up the Lillingtons (at least, I haven't seen their name yet). One of the best buzzsaw pop-punk bands ever, with a good lead vocalist to boot.

Also, the Spooky are really good if you like your pop-punk combined with horror movie lyrics. Mike Monster's creepy, high voice really made them stand out from other horror punk bands.
Pages: [1]   Go Up