THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 16:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Abstract Hip Hop.  (Read 4464 times)

Decima

Abstract Hip Hop.
« on: 28 Dec 2005, 18:04 »

Well I saw there was a thread bout hiphop, so I thought, hey, lets make another one!

But this thread isnt about just any kind of hip hop. Its about abstract hip hop. Now, to avoid missunderstandings, what I refer to as abstract hip hop is the kind of music made by DJ Shadow, DJ Food, DJ Cam, and so on. Make Trip Hop instrumental and it tends to become Abstract Hip Hop.
I dont now if Abstract Hip Hop stops being abstract if you ad lyrics, I really just know what Ive learned from friends, Ishkur and wikipedia, and that may be completely incorrect.

However, defining genres was not what this thread is supposed to be about. Its supposed to a discussion about good Hip Hop that could fit into Abstract Hip Hop, Trip Hop, Turntabelism, and stuff like that.

Ive mostly listened to DJ Shadow to be honest, I got his Entroducing for christmas and its fucking amazing. More then that, DJ Food and DJ Cam has pleased my ears many times, and Ive been listening to some instrumentals by UNKLE and Massive Attack.

Anyone know about something newly released stuff? Any classics that I just HAVE to hear?

And remember people, listenable links are a gift from god. Entroducing... with DJ Shadow is listenable in the UK istore for everyone who got itunes.

MilkmanDan

Abstract Hip Hop.
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2005, 09:16 »

Sixtoo - Chewing On Glass & Other Miracle Cures

DJ Krush - Kakusei

Prefuse 73 - Vocal Studies and Uprock Narratives

Octavious - Audio Noir

DJ Vadim - USSR: Life On The Other Side

DJ Spooky - Songs of a Dead Dreamer

Lots of other Ninja Tune Stuff.

nescience

Abstract Hip Hop.
« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2005, 11:48 »

Given the work he's done with hip-hop artists, I'd say the work of Daedelus is pretty fitting, though often it's not as obviously "hip-hop" and tends to have a more downtempo feel.  But anyway:

Daedelus - Invention

Daedelus - Rethinking the Weather

He's also done collaborations with artists like Busdriver and Radioinactive (on The Weather) and his latest album, Exquisite Corpse, features collabs. with MF Doom, Prefuse 73, TTC, and others.

TheLoweringTide

Abstract Hip Hop.
« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2005, 20:12 »

Just buy a Ninja Tune compilation.  It'll give you a pretty decent cross-section of what's out there and it's guaranteed to be completely full of amazing music.

Catatonik

Abstract Hip Hop.
« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2005, 20:59 »

Daedelus rocks.

I got three albums and each one kicks my ass regularly

kikanjuuneko

Abstract Hip Hop.
« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2005, 21:33 »

Uh, I thought trip-hop was usually instrumental.

nescience

Abstract Hip Hop.
« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2005, 21:36 »

Not true at all.  The three most popular originators of trip hop (Portishead, Massive Attack, and Tricky) all featured vocals prominently in their music.

Decima

Abstract Hip Hop.
« Reply #7 on: 30 Dec 2005, 03:28 »

Some of the pages you linked to required membership, but of the ones that did not, Sixtoo was what I found to be most interresting. Specially that track with the 6/8 feel.

kikanjuuneko

Abstract Hip Hop.
« Reply #8 on: 30 Dec 2005, 08:03 »

Okay, I'll take that, but there's lots of artists that don't have any vocals at all, or only use samples as vocals, and they're described as trip-hop too. My point was probably more that hip-hop (as a music genre) usually requires some kind of vocal input other than samples to be just that.

Decima

Abstract Hip Hop.
« Reply #9 on: 01 Jan 2006, 06:10 »

So you mean that Hiphop without vocals is Triphop? Naaah, offcourse theres such a thing as instrumental hiphop. I guess hiphop is a kinda wide expression too. And, though as I said before this is strictly based on Ishkur and Wikipedia, most people seem to define Abstract Hiphop as DJ Shadow and the Ninja Tunes label.

Some of the Ninja Tune compilations are even called "Abstract Hiphop"blabla right?

Bunnyman

Abstract Hip Hop.
« Reply #10 on: 01 Jan 2006, 13:06 »

Don't feel bad about making another thread about hip-hop, mang!  It's a very expansive label.  Would you feel bad about making another indie rock thread?  No!

Abstract, Experimental, and Instrumental hip-hop are only really seperable by degree.  On one end you have the instrumental version of "Dr. Octagynecologist," on the other side you have cLOUDDEAD's "Ten," and everything else falls somewhere in between.

Or something like that.  Ishkur's separation of Abstract and Experimental was tenuous at best, probably an excuse to include more samples.  A worthy cause, mind you.

And on that note, cLOUDDEAD is the most far-out stuff anyone could really call hip-hop.  Beautiful production, gibberish lyrics, and queues stolen from indie rock make it very unique stuff.

DJ Shadow's "In Tune and On Time" is a bitchin' live album.  The CD radiates energy, and the DVD ain't bad either.

Krush is great.  The single coolest man in music, his turntable style is totally zen (watch a DVD of his performance...he's so into it.  No theatrics, just the slightest movements).  And I don't care what Pitchfork said, I actually liked the more raw feel of "Code 4109."  "Kakusei" is quite awesome, and Jaku is cool too.  His CDs feel like hour-long movie soundtracks, in that his characteristic building of tension and climax is very cinematic.  Listen to the song 'pretense' and wonder why that isn't in a movie somewhere.

Coldcut is awesome.  More Ninja Tune-style stuff, and that ain't a bad thing in the slightest.

RJD2 has great stuff, too, but then you already knew that.  Everyone and their mother seems to be extolling the virtues of "Deadringer" (justifiably so), but his other works, such as "Since We Last Spoke" and "Constant Elevation Say" are bumpin' as well.  He also has a collection of remixes called "Loose Ends," which features some amazing stuff.  The man has a range.  And he does a great live show.

TH89

Abstract Hip Hop.
« Reply #11 on: 01 Jan 2006, 14:41 »

The Herbaliser!  One of the coolest artists on Ninja Tune, great acid jazz influences.

http://www.herbaliser.com/

Also, how about Odd Nosdam?

Not to mention DJ Spooky, who along with a few others, has released some really awesome stuff on Thirsty Ear.

[Spooky 1]
[Spooky 2]
[Spooky 3]
Pages: [1]   Go Up