THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Great moments in music  (Read 4328 times)

Sideways

Great moments in music
« on: 28 Dec 2005, 15:55 »

What do you think some truly awesome moments in music are/were?

For me, it had to be the events at one Radiohead concert in New York, as described by Michael Stipe (R.E.M.) in an interview with 'The Rock Voice':

Quote from: Michael Stipe
Well, for me personally, the end of the Great Quiet came in the summer of 2003, at a Radiohead show in New York at the Beacon Theater. It was a televised thing, and they had sold tickets for $2. The entire place was filled with fanatic Radiohead fans. Typically at a Radiohead show, everyone sings along to every song; they know every lyric. Sometimes you can't even hear Thom Yorke's voice over the din of the audience. But this night, when they walked onstage and started playing the first song, the audience was quiet, reverential. No one was singing along to any of the songs. It wasn't until they played the song "No Surprises" that says "the government, they don't speak for us." And on that line, every single person in that room shouted out "the government, they don't speak for us!" And on the next line of the lyric, they were dead quiet again. I was there with a group of people, including Q-Tip, and I looked over at Tip, and his mouth was hanging open. And I was like, "Did that just happen?" And he just nodded his head yes. Afterwards, we were sitting around at the bar with Thom and the band, and Tip and I said, "Do you realize what happened tonight?" And Thom said, "I almost fell over. I almost couldn't sing the next line of the song." That, to me, was the beginning of the end of the Great Quiet in New York. And of course New Yorkers would get it first because they were there. Anyway, the sentiment and this feeling of the Great Quiet had ended for me, in one line of one song in one moment in New York City. And thus began a period of great personal activism, I think, in the U.S. that is still spreading like wildfire across the country. Now I think people feel that they were quiet, their feelings were sublimated for so long by this shock and this loss of innocence and this mass tragedy that we all shared, and now they want to raise their own voice. They're wearing T-shirts, they're arguing publicly, they're educating themselves, they're reading about stuff that's outside of the mainstream media.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Great moments in music
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2005, 16:15 »

Mike Patton pissing in his shoe and then drinking it.

On a more serious note; Bob Dylan being born.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Great moments in music
« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2005, 16:24 »

Worldwide, it's easily when Maiden were getting egged at Ozzfest *spit* and Brucey ran out right into the teeth of it waving the Union Jack crying "These colours don't run!". British. Fucking. Steel.

As for personal moments, that is, moments in concerts I've attended that just surpass awesome and travel into some sunny upland beyond:

In Flames: First time I ever saw a band I actually liked in concert. I don't like In Flames that much, but I was in tears by the second song, it was just so good to finally be watching something decent and not another shitty hardcore band.

Apocalyptica: "Because ve are Cello quartet from HELL, ve play for you original black metal masterpiece: EDVARD GRIEG, HALL OF ZE MOUNTAIN KING!" Then, as the piece started, the drummer led us in a clap whilst keeping time with the pedals. the clap getting faster, and faster, and faster: they ended up almost a scream of distorted cello, with the pit beneath them going wild. Classical music is fucking metal.

Motorhead: They finish an acoustic number (first of the encore). Instruments are chucked to roadies and Lemmy lights up (it was a no smoking venue, but this was MOTORHEAD. The air was thick.) A roadie comes forward and hands him his bass. He has a few drags as he straps it on, then spits the fag out into the press pit. "Alright boys and girls. Looks like it's that time of the night again." Ace of Spades begins. Everyone goes INSANE. At the 'Don't forget the Joker" bit, Lemmy palm mutes, and spins the microphone stand out toward the crowd. Every voice in the venue screams back at him. Awesome.

Oh, and like, every single fucking SECOND of Alice Cooper. Fucking hell.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Great moments in music
« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2005, 16:45 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Worldwide, it's easily when Maiden were getting egged at Ozzfest *spit* and Brucey ran out right into the teeth of it waving the Union Jack crying "These colours don't run!". British. Fucking. Steel.

My friend was at that show. Bruce's quote from right before they launched into The Tropper is still in his AIM profile. "You won't hear this song on your local cocksucking corporate radio station, and you sure as fuck won't hear it on some fucking MTV reality show!" Up the irons indeed.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Cobra Kai

Great moments in music
« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2005, 16:49 »

The locust doing like 10 minutes of brutal feedback during their show with Andrew WK. The bro's looked like they wanted to die.

nescience

Great moments in music
« Reply #5 on: 28 Dec 2005, 17:28 »

-Guitar Wolf, in one of the last shows Billy Basswolf would play in his life, is accosted by a drunk fan who steals Seiji Guitarwolf's guitar.  Seiji is pissed until the guy doesn't go anywhere, but straps up the guitar and starts playing it, to which Seiji goes crazy.  Two weeks later, Billy is dead.

-Pixies and Kraftwerk in the same night

-Wayne Coyne in a bubble.  For that matter, Steven Drozd playing the synth line to "Race for the Prize" on a heavily distorted guitar an octave lower.  Really pretty.

-This is uber sappy and not that interesting, but it was sweet: at Coachella 2004 the bass player (or was it guitar?) for Broken Social Scene proposed to his girlfriend onstage.  Okay, 'nuff of that...

-Antony trying to improvise a song about coconuts and screwing up.

-Oh yeah, and the funny iconic 90's bit: tenth grade, 1998, going to a Pearl Jam & Sean Lennon show, Pearl Jam is playing "Alive" and this long-hair shimmies up one of the huge lighting towers about halfway back in the crowd and plays air guitar to the whole song.  Climbs back down and is violently arrested.  Yea PJ.

Shaft

• Obscure cultural reference
    • Bass Cleft
Great moments in music
« Reply #6 on: 28 Dec 2005, 20:20 »

Khar - I believe the phrase was

"This is an English fucking flag and these colours do not fucking run"

Despite not liking Maiden, I have to admit it's a pretty cool thing to say.
Quote from: tommydski
i realise that i am slightly buzzed on coffee in the toliets of a boeing 737 rubbing a wet rock on myself. if you've ever had a similar moment of clarity i think you may be able to relate to the feeling.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Great moments in music
« Reply #7 on: 28 Dec 2005, 20:23 »

If you don't like Maiden, you were probably molested as a child.

NOTE: I am kidding. Please do not maul me with the whole "Just because they don't have the same taste as you" argument. This was said in a joking manner. :D See? I even put an emoticon!
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Signum_Tenebrae

Great moments in music
« Reply #8 on: 29 Dec 2005, 01:56 »

If we're talking about personal moments..

Seeing Averse Sefira perform their (at that time unreleased) album Tetragrammatical Astygmata live.  It was absolutely amazing.  It was almost like a ritual.  Afterwards, they came back on for an encore with some of their best tracks off of Battle's Clarion and I lost my mind when Wrath dropped his guitar and jumped into the pit swining his spiked-gauntlet'd arms around like a madman.

Willem

Great moments in music
« Reply #9 on: 29 Dec 2005, 04:41 »

http://www.chezlaurent.com/boots/artwork/David%20Bowie%20-%201980%20floorshow%20-%20Front.jpg

David Bowie eating guitar on stage (if somebody has different pictures from this (I know they're out there) then please place them or pm me)

ayePod

Great moments in music
« Reply #10 on: 29 Dec 2005, 05:32 »

The first time I went to see Mogwai,after they played their set,the duct taped their guitars to the amps and let the feedback and they just started weird crowd chants and this lasted for 20 minutes,and it was fucking awesome.

Another good one is Win Butler being electrocuted halfway through a song and continuing to play it.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Great moments in music
« Reply #11 on: 29 Dec 2005, 12:34 »

Wasn't that Radiohead concert responsible for REM making a really shite album though?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
Great moments in music
« Reply #12 on: 29 Dec 2005, 13:00 »

There is too many to list. But Blink 182 splitting up was a pretty decent moment.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Great moments in music
« Reply #13 on: 29 Dec 2005, 14:28 »

and Korn's guitarist becominga born again Christian and leaving them*.

*RIght up until the point where they get a new guy an make another album.

La Creme

Great moments in music
« Reply #14 on: 29 Dec 2005, 21:13 »

Quote from: Kai
Mike Patton pissing in his shoe and then drinking it.

Also, when he played with his one time project Moonraker.
Also, while Bungle was just early on, when he went onstage dressed as Hitler and the first song they played was a rendition of "Hava Nagila".
Also, every time him and Rahzel are in a room together.

Unrelated:

- At an Eels w/Strings concert, the part where The Chet pulled out an guitar and they played "Dog Faced Boy".

- 1:40 -> 2:00 of Tin Hat Trio's "Things That Might Have Been".

- The beginings of the following songs:
---Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - The Stain
---Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - The Creature
---Liquid Tension Experiment - Paradigm Shift
---The Pogues - Turkish Song Of The Damned
---Mephiskapheles - Break Your Ankle Punk
---Fantomas - Page 16 - (11 Frames)
---Primus - Jerry Was A Racecar Driver
---Eels - The Last Time We Spoke
---Eels - Jehovah's Witness
---The Sugarplastic - The Bodice Of A Young French Girl
---The Bad Plus - Do Your Sums - Die Like A Dog - Play For Home

Ahhh.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Great moments in music
« Reply #15 on: 30 Dec 2005, 04:19 »

Quote from: Kai
and Korn's guitarist becominga born again Christian and leaving them*.

*RIght up until the point where they get a new guy an make another album.

You do realise they've already made an album with a man short?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Great moments in music
« Reply #16 on: 31 Dec 2005, 10:23 »

If we're talking about great moments on albums...

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath (From the album 'Black Sabbath'): Intro

Storm, rain bells...then the first chord of heavy metal layed down by man. It only got more evil from here. \m/
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Great moments in music
« Reply #17 on: 31 Dec 2005, 15:10 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
If we're talking about great moments on albums...

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath (From the album 'Black Sabbath'): Intro

Storm, rain bells...then the first chord of heavy metal layed down by man. It only got more evil from here. \m/

The scary thing is that that album was released in 1969. Iommi was light years ahead of his time.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there
Pages: [1]   Go Up