THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 08:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Serenity/Firefly  (Read 3736 times)

Katori

Serenity/Firefly
« on: 31 Dec 2005, 22:36 »

So, i am new to this forum and i mused about the movies thing, and noticed no topics of this nature, and felt the need to make one. One engulfed in the greatness of Firefly and its movie acclompice (spelled so wrong im sorry) Serenity.
First of all Firefly is my favorite show ever, even though i never knew it existed until after it was cancelled. And as most shows i like, it was cancelled to early
two more for example...Freaks and geeks
Futurama (had a good run but want more)
BUt yes, Serenity is tied with King Kong as the best movie of 2005. NOt only for Firefly fans (as this movie introduced me to the wonderful goodness) but for any liker of sci fi fans and/or movie fans. Joss is such a great writer, and its such a refreshing movie with all the sci fi brumble admist the sea of movies.
And the show is just as good. And by good, Wonderful Brilliance with a coat of awesome fun.
Yea, so there ya go, Enjoy if you will

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
Serenity/Firefly
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jan 2006, 06:58 »

I loved Firefly, but is it just me who thought Serenity was, you know, kinda crap? I went into it hoping for more Firefly, but I got some other film based vaguely off Firefly. The characters were all different, no-one seemed to give a rats ass about the ship (seriously, tying the corpses to Serenity? I can't imagine Mal from the series doing that).
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Bunnyman

Serenity/Firefly
« Reply #2 on: 01 Jan 2006, 13:11 »

I did rather like Firefly.  I'm actually re-watching it now, and It's a lot better when you're not surrounded by people obsessed by it.  You can spend less time listening to people figure out which character archetype they represent and more time soaking in the show.

Serenity was a rather standard Sci-Fi flick with the Firefly cast and setting.  Not horrible, but the structure was cliched and there were too many concessions to the form.  Also, they seemed to be going more epic, but without enough ideas resorted to stealing from Blade Runner, Homeworld, etc.  Steal from the best, but Blade Runner has been overplayed, and quite frankly that vision of a dark future isn't really in the spirit of the Firefly universe, in my opinion.

I suspect the same raving fanatics from the first paragraph may have spoiled my attitude about the movie by going on and on about how great it was, but seriously, Joss Whedon, you can do better than that.  If you're gonna do epic Sci-Fi, at least pull a Mad Dutchman Verhoeven and do a total satire of it, Robocop style.  I know you have it in you.  Jerk.

practicality

Serenity/Firefly
« Reply #3 on: 01 Jan 2006, 13:17 »

I enjoyed Serenity enough. It wasn't OMG fanstastic, but it was entertaining. I've only seen a couple Firefly episodes, so I didn't really "know" the characters before the movie.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
Serenity/Firefly
« Reply #4 on: 01 Jan 2006, 14:40 »

I loved Serenity, but I'm a fanboy, so its hardly an unbiased opinion, but I thought it was lacking a few things.

1) No mention of space prostitues ANYWHERE
2) It was lacking the real feel of love they have for the ship in Firefly (though I disagree about the series Mal not doing the corpsifying thing, I thought they did a good job of showing how Mal was pushed over the edge, but it did add to the feeling I had that they just didn't give as much of a crap about Serenity)
3) It seemed like because they killed off the two characters that nobody thought they would have the balls to kill off, they had to make cheap concessions to the fans in the form of the Kaylee/Simon hook-up (though all of Kaylees Simon-related lines were gold)

I didn't mind the fact that they killed off two characters, I thought it added a real sense of danger to the end of the film, but I thought that scene of Simon without a shirt on sucking face with Kaylee was just utterly cheap.

I still think it was the best film of 2005, but I wasn't surprised that Serenity didn't have a huge impact on the main-stream sci-fi culture. I'm still hoping it does well enough on DVD to warrent a sequel, because I get the feeling any other movies in this series are going to be able to focus soley on being excellent sci-fi movies, rather than having to strike a balance between introducing new people to the verse, and paying lip service to the fans that got the movie made in the first place.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk
Pages: [1]   Go Up