THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 17 Apr 2024, 21:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter Mixtape Exchange: Feedback Thread  (Read 8487 times)

Outshined

Winter Mixtape Exchange: Feedback Thread
« on: 31 Dec 2005, 23:30 »

Because someone had to take the initiative ;)

So, did anyone discover any cool bands?  I haven't gotten mine yet... hope it arrives soon... as I'm leaving for college in three days >_<

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jan 2006, 01:19 »

I got a super-terrifically awesome "Christmas to New Year" mix from Johnny C.  It'd divided into three sections: "Christmas Cheer", "Boxing Day Blues", and "New Year's Bash."  The track-list is as follows:

1) Eazy-E: "Merry Mutha******* Christmas" (not sure if the asterisks are an official part of the track name or not!);

2) Architecture in Helsinki: "It'5";

3) Brian Wilson: "On a Holiday";

4) Jason Collett: "I'll Bring the Sun";

5) Richard Hawley: "Coles Corner";

6) The Cinematic Orchestra: "Postlude";

7) L.C.D. Soundsystem: "Tribulations";

8) Wilco: "Hummingbird" (live);

9) Sufjan Stevens: "Prairie Fire That Wanders About";

10) Coldplay: "Yellow";

11) The Fiery Furnaces: "Here Comes the Summer";

12) Wolf Parade: "I'll Believe in Anything";

13) Roky Erickson & the Aliens: "I Think Up Demons";

14) Broken Social Scene: "Cause=Time";

15) The Go! Team: "Bottle Rocket";

16) Sylvie: "Mid Laugh";

17) The Wedding Present: "Ringway to Seatec";

18) My Chemical Romance: "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)";

19) Metric: "Monster Hospital";

20) The Weakerthans: "The Reasons".

The final section (which also seems to be the longest) is particularly rockin'.  Although I could live without the My Chemical Romance, I was delighted to hear the Fiery Furnaces: I hadn't yet got around to checking them out, but I'll definitly be rushing to buy something of theirs when I next get the chance.  I was initially dismayed to see Coldplay: "Yellow" is one of my least favourite songs - so imagine my surprise and delight when it turned out to be some dinky instrumental synthesiser version of the song!  Sure, the melody's still sappy as all hell but at least I don't have to put up with the awful lyrics and the recording's pretty damned funny.

I was curious about Eazy-E: I know next-to-nothing about hip-hop so I'm always curious to hear stuff.  There's a lot of funk in this tune, though the lyrics are something of a gangsta cliche which is unfortunate.  Still, a groovy way to start off the mix.

The Go! Team, like the Fiery Furnaces, are a band I haven't got around to checking out yet.  I don't know how well integrated the rap was to the rest of the tune and I'd be curious to find out if this is a typical track of theirs; however track ended in very funky style which makes me think the band may well be worth checking out when they tour hear shortly.

Wolf Parade was pretty good - another much-hyped, as yet unheard band - though I think for now I'll stick to Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.

Wilco were a bit underwhelming - I know this is the ultimate sacrilege 'round here, but I just can't get into them.  Don't worry, though, I'm still a huge Uncle Tupelo fan!

I've only had a chance to listen to the C.D. once so far, so I can't remember everything about a lot of the other tunes.  However, this is most definitely a great mix!  And I can well imagine listening to the final "New Year's Bash" section, which I guess starts with the Fiery Furnaces, by itself as a kind of sub-album.  Thumbs up, Johnny!

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
Re: Winter Mixtape Exchange: Feedback Thread
« Reply #2 on: 01 Jan 2006, 09:35 »

Quote from: Outshined
Because someone had to take the initiative ;)

So, did anyone discover any cool bands?  I haven't gotten mine yet... hope it arrives soon... as I'm leaving for college in three days >_<

Hope it arrives soon? MAYBE YOU SHOULD PM ME YOUR FREAKING MAILING ADDRESS.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

El Opium

« Reply #3 on: 01 Jan 2006, 10:26 »

My mix from Azathoth: Neo Psychedelic Freakout
Spectrum-Owlsley
Neurosis and Jarboe-His Last Words
Polvo-Downtown Dedication
Disco Inferno-In Sharky Water
Temp Sound Soloutions-Madman (On psychotropic drugs)
Alcian Blue-Angelica Take Me Down
Glifted-On and On
Skywave-Tsunami
Spiritualized-Electricity
The Ecstasy of St. Theresa-Absinth
Spacemen 3-Losing Touch With My Mind
Unwound-Off This Century
Malachi Constant-The Spice of Life
Primal Scream-Accelerator
Ceremony-Too Many Times
Kinski-Fell Asleep On Your Lawn

I must say that I greatly enjoyed this mix. There were some artists I was familiar with, some I'd heard of but not heard and some who were entirely new. My absolute favorites were Spectrum, Alcian Blue, Glifted, Skywave and Spacemen 3.

Outshined

« Reply #4 on: 01 Jan 2006, 11:41 »

Quote from: Valrus

Hope it arrives soon? MAYBE YOU SHOULD PM ME YOUR FREAKING MAILING ADDRESS.

I think you are confused.  You are supposed to mail your mix to the guy underneath you on the list... so you aren't mailing back to whoever is sending you the mix.  I think mine is coming from El Opium, actually...

That said, the mixes posted so far sound pretty cool.  That synth remix of "Yellow" sounds hilarious!  (I'm actually rather fond of the original version myself >_>...  call me a sap if you must)

Valrus

• moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #5 on: 01 Jan 2006, 13:06 »

omfg, I fail at life

TheLoweringTide

« Reply #6 on: 01 Jan 2006, 18:54 »

I received my Winter Mix CD from est a few days ago, and though it features some pretty cool music, it featured no tracklisting, so I am not sure what any of it is (save Do the Whirlwind by Architecture in Helsinki with which I was already familiar).

Sadly, I failed at sending out my mix in a timely fashion, but now I'm just waiting for La Creme to provide me with an address.

Outshined

« Reply #7 on: 01 Jan 2006, 21:53 »

Quote from: Valrus
omfg, I fail at life

It's not so bad... a pretty easy misunderstanding to make =P.  Just make sure the right guy gets his tape soon, hehe.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #8 on: 02 Jan 2006, 20:43 »

i received not one but two discs! i have been somewhat busy what with the arrival of Heather and sorting things out so that we are comfortable here, so i haven't listened to it as yet. however, i can still say that it came in a wonderfully creative case and a winter/summer motif (to reflect that while you guys are making Winter mix cds it is Summer over here).

so thanks McTaggert, and i'll post in here once i've listened to it properly.

@TheLoweringTide: ah crap, sorry.  i meant to send you a PM with the tracks listed out.  i know that it includes The Strokes - Juicebox, The Boat People - Unsettle My Heart, LCD Soundsystem - Give it up, Little Birdy - Six months in a leaky boat, Missy Elliot - We run this, the Go! Team - Bottle Rocket (i think?), Goldfrapp - Lovely 2 C U, that Architecture in Helsinki song, and Broken Social Scene - 7/4 (Shoreline)

i am having a niggling little feeling that ther are more tracks.  perhaps something by the Editors?  can't remember.  i'll have to post a complete track listing once i get home :)

sjbrot

« Reply #9 on: 02 Jan 2006, 21:13 »

If you want to check out the NES "Yellow" cover (along with a few others), you can check it out here.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #10 on: 03 Jan 2006, 04:54 »

Oh, while you're there, check out their cover of Europe's THE FINAL COUNTDOWN.

Best song in the universe being covered.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Outshined

« Reply #11 on: 03 Jan 2006, 11:45 »

Hehehe.  I always rock out to The Final Countdown during final exams or events like that.... it is like the soundtrack of final events.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #12 on: 03 Jan 2006, 13:27 »

here's that complete tracklist i promised :)

Little Birdy - Six Months In a Leaky Boat (Album: She Will Have Her Way)
Blueline Medic - Making the Nouveau Riche (Album: The Apology Wars)
The Strokes - Juicebox (Album: First Impressions of Earth)
Editors - Bullets (Album: the Back Room)
LCD Soundsystem - give it up (Album: LCD Soundsystem )
The Boat People - Unsettle My Heart (Album: yesyesyesyesyes)
Radiohead/Jungle Brothers - How Ya Want It Mashup (Album: Me & This Army: Radiohead Remixes)
Missy Elliott - We Run This (Album: The Cookbook)
the Go! Team - bottle rocket (Album: Thunder Lightning Strike)
Goldfrapp - Lovely 2 C U (Album: Supernature)
Architecture in Helsinki - Do the Whirlwind (Album: In Case We Die)
Broken Social Scene - 7/4 (Shoreline) (Album: Broken Social Scene)
The Books - Owl With Knees (Album: Lost and Safe)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #13 on: 03 Jan 2006, 16:01 »

POSTULATE: "Bottle Rocket" is the perfect mixtape song.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

nescience

« Reply #14 on: 03 Jan 2006, 18:19 »

Agreed on the Bottle Rocket assertion.  Try this: From Erlend Øye's DJ Kicks, do Avenue D's "Too Drunk to Fuck", then the next track DJ Kicks track, which is the mixed-in Rapture snippet of "I Need Your Love", and then "Bottle Rocket."  No mix-ins needed for DANCE MASTERY.

Outshined

« Reply #15 on: 13 Jan 2006, 16:44 »

Anyone else got some mixes? I'm rather eager to hear if my disk has arrived yet... it should have by now... I sent it forever ago =P.

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #16 on: 13 Jan 2006, 17:38 »

just wondering... how frequently do mix CD exchanges happen on this forum?  i really wanted to participate, but i was back home for winter break and thus didn't have my computer that has all my music on it.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #17 on: 13 Jan 2006, 22:13 »

WHERE IN THE FUCK PEOPLE

SERIOUSLY, IT'S JUST ABOUT FEBRUARY
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Outshined

« Reply #18 on: 16 Jan 2006, 22:09 »

Seriously... how much longer could I take to send a cd than a normal letter.  Sure, holiday traffic and all, but this is ridiculous =P.

El Opium

« Reply #19 on: 16 Jan 2006, 22:51 »

Don't worry, I finally got around to mailing the mix last thursday. My messed up sleep schedule was making it hard to make it to the post office when it was actually open.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jan 2006, 10:28 »

I got nothin' yet. Haven't heard from the guy I mailed to either, hope he got his ok :(

Valrus

• moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #21 on: 17 Jan 2006, 18:45 »

Well, I mailed mine to sjbrot a week or so ago, so hopefully he got it or is about to. Of course, he's in the vast featureless wintry plain of Canada, so it's probably being delivered to him via caribou-driven sleigh, scheduled to arrive sometime in mid-April assuming no one freezes to death.

Happy winter!

sjbrot

« Reply #22 on: 17 Jan 2006, 19:46 »

If a man or a caribou dies in the process of delivering your mixtape, I'm sure it'll be worth it.

I wouldn't know, though. My mailbox has only had bills for my sister for the past few weeks.

Outshined

« Reply #23 on: 21 Jan 2006, 23:39 »

I heard my cd arrived... mum is gonna ship it down to the college address soon.  Yay!  Now, if only Valrus would finally get my CD.  I shipped it a couple weeks before Christmas... hope the darn thing didn't get lost in the mail =/

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #24 on: 22 Jan 2006, 08:02 »

Sorry amok, I haven't mailed it yet >.< I'll do it tomorrow, I need to send off my college application then too.

I haven't received mine yet, but I'm too lazy to mind much.

Valrus

• moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #25 on: 22 Jan 2006, 08:16 »

Outshined, I got it. But I've only listened to it once so far. I need to give it the thrice-over (or more) before I can write some decent feedback, but it sounded pretty good on the first time through.

Outshined

« Reply #26 on: 22 Jan 2006, 22:47 »

W00t!  Well, at least it's there, now.

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #27 on: 24 Jan 2006, 04:21 »

i received 2 cds from inlander today... a winter one and a summer one. in a pretty red and blue case. i forgot that it is summer where you are. so i haven't heard of most of these songs. which is exciting! yay! i also liked how you divided the songs into categories.

so here's what i think.  p.s. i am writing this as i listen.

winter

grey afternoon: watching the rain

track 1 - jackie leven - when i was a farm boy
honestly, i don't care much for this song. it's a bit too twangy-country music like for my tastes and i felt like the melody was sort of repetitive and boring. there was a bit of an interesting instrumental bit in the middle though.

track 2 - sodastream - cane and rice
starts out moody, slightly melancholy... i like that. vocals sort of sneak in and aren't overpowering at all.... interesting as well. i like this song... i can see this getting put into regular play on my itunes. i also might need to find more songs by them.

track 3 - scud mountain boys - freight of fire
halfway through and i don't really have anything to say about it. i guess i'm sort of indifferent to this song.

dark early: reminiscing by the evening fire

track 4 - lester young - these foolish things (remind me of you)
yay for saxaphone. yay for piano. yay for this song.

track 5 - iron and wine - bird stealing bread
you win for including this song. it is one of my favorites. but then i just really love sam beam. if you've seen my last fm profile you'd know that it might be a bit of an obsession.

track 6 - great lake swimmers - moving, shaking
this was pleasant.

track 7 - silver jews - random rules
not really liking his voice much. or the trumpety bits. this might be an okay song, but i can't get over the not liking his voice part.

track 8 - gerry mulligan quartet - moonlight in vermont
these jazzy bits are nice.

track 9 - dolly parton - will he be waiting for me?
twang twang twang. don't hate me, but i skipped this song after about a minute.

late night: frost & starlight

track 10 - youth group - skeleton jar
i rather like the first half of this song. it reminds me of something... not sure what... but something that i like. then it gets to some part in the middle... maybe around 2:20ish and i kind of stopped liking it as much. and the instrumental part is pretty repetitive. overall, an okay song. i'd listen to it again.

track 11 - cat power - metal heart
starts out nice. stays nice. i tend to like sort of slow, slightly gloomy sounding music like this though.

track 12 - micah p. hinson - the day texas sank to the bottom of the sea
before this song even starts, i like the title. okay listening now... like the opening. whoa i was totally expecting a girl to start singing. again with the not digging the voice so much. oh stringy part starting... yay. very yay. okay, liking the vocals now that they've started up again and it's sort of a duet thing going. this is a very pretty song. i like it.

dawn: mist in the half-light

track 13 - j.s. bach - prelude from the cello suite no. 1 in g major
hey, i know this song! good choice.

track 14 - ahmad jamal - 'no greater love'
this really doesn't strike me as a dawn type song, but i like it nonetheless.

morning: new day, bright & clear

track 15 - darren hanlon - winter takes fall
i remember that you sent a bit of darren hanlon stuff to the qc gmail account and i liked it a lot. and i like this a lot too.

track 16 - blur - for tomorrow
what a fun song! i never really listened to much blur before. except that song 2 song. and the one where the video has a giant milk carton in it. that was a cute video.

track 17 - kate bush - hounds of love
she has a unique voice. i kinda didn't like this song much though.

okay. there was a lot of music that i didn't know on here, and some of it i liked a lot and the rest was kind of not my style. but this mix was all over the place! a bit of country, a bit of jazz, a bit of mellow awesomeness... it was fun to listen to! and i think i will be checking out a few of these bands as well. oh, and i'll listen to and type up randomness about the summer mix eventually as well.

thanks, inlander ^_^ *hugs*
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #28 on: 24 Jan 2006, 05:14 »

I'm glad you like it, and my nonsensical categorisation!  I'm sad you didn't like the Dolly Parton, but I guess bluegrass isn't for everyone.  The "Summer" C.D. is more upbeat.

And yes, both the C.D.s are very all-over-the-place, genre wise.  Welcome to my musical world!

P.S.: I was thinking the Ahmad Jamal suited "dawn" because of that kind of tingly sensation you get at that time of day, when everything's just starting to wake up . . . seemed to suit his piano style.  But maybe that's just me!

P.P.S.: Lester Young was the best tenor saxophonist ever.

sjbrot

« Reply #29 on: 30 Jan 2006, 17:04 »

I got my mix CD from Valrus a few days back. Thumbs up, buddy.

Radiowar

• Obscure cultural reference
    • my music
« Reply #30 on: 30 Jan 2006, 18:26 »

Still haven't received mine yet...

jariku

http://forums.questionablecontent.net/posting.php?mode=reply
« Reply #31 on: 31 Jan 2006, 05:12 »

I still haven't received my CD from lastclearchance. Also, I've no idea if theenginedriver got the CD I sent can't-remember-when.

Valrus

• moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #32 on: 31 Jan 2006, 14:38 »

Ok, Outshined has been bugging me to send him some feedback, so I'm obliging right now with a track-by-track. S/he (probably the latter, just based on who tends to frequent the music threads) calls it the "Hot & Cold mix," so I'll try to keep that in mind as I write my, um, review.

1. The Mars Volta, "Roulette Dares (This is the Haunt)" - OS likes TMV and I told him I like them too, so this was kind of a gimme. I hadn't realized that this would be a good mixtape first track, but it is. Sounds like a Hot song to me. Because of, you know, all the Hot latin riffs. And such.

2. Children of the Monkey Machine, "Super Metroid Brothers (Dreams In Red)" - Oh, man. Super Metroid. One of the best fucking SNES games ever. I don't suppose there's any way OS could have known how I love this game, but there you go. I haven't played it in a while, but this music sounds like Maridia to me.

Ok, I just checked. It's Brinstar. Man, Super Metroid had the most incredibly atmospheric music of any SNES game, hands down. Wow. Anyway, good choice. This made me want to play Super Metroid all over again.

Oh, and, uh, sounds like it could be a "cold" song.

3. Rootaka, "The Chemical Imps" - Starts out sounding like it could be another track from Super Metroid, really, but that doesn't last long and it turns into a hoppin' electronic dealy. Nice beats, good melodies, nothing spectacular but it's quality. Kind of abrasive and, um, hot-sounding.

4. Tangerine Dream, "Sequent c'" - Definitely a cold song. Another electronic-sounding thing, this one tame, slow-moving, subdued, the soundtrack to the inside of a glacier. Very effective and atmospheric.

5. Yann Tiersen, "La Valse d'Amélie" - I hadn't really appreciated this tune for its own merits before; although it's certainly effective and appropriate in the titular film, it stands very well on its own.

6. Chris Cornell, "Moonchild" - Whoa, lyrics. I'm not crazy about this guy's voice, never was, and the melody doesn't grab me. Still, the lyrics are decent and there's some good guitar in there.

7. Citizen Cope, "Hurricane Waters" - This song is hella chill, and I like it a lot, even though the lead singer somehow pronounces "hurricane" like it has only two syllables. Kinda dumb lyrics too. But it sounds good, and that's the important thing, dammit!

8. Tool, "The Patient" - I never really warmed up (if you will) to Tool, probably because although the time signatures sure are interesting, the melodies tend to be either all the same or nonexistent. This song is no exception, although it does have its moments.

9. Esem, "~ pt. 2 (8,0ºE  30,51ºZ)" - Um, I'm not sure if I got that name right. This track is all warm strings and synths, light drums and very little melody. It's nothing amazingly special but it sure is pleasant to listen to. It doesn't change a whole lot, so it's good that it's not that long.

10. Opeth, "The Drapery Falls" - Nice acoustic opening leads directly into some rawk with very sweet and understated guitar melodies underneath it. This is a long song (over 10 minutes), so by necessity it's got a few different parts to it. The voice is quality when he's actually singing, confident and well suited to the music and lyrics. But I guess I have to admit that I can't stand the tuneless growling "metal voice" in the middle part of the song; it can be all right when used in moderation, but four verses of it in a row is just too much for me. The dissonant guitar in the middle section is pretty awesome, though, and the track goes back to normal singing before the end, so I'd say it comes out ahead. The contrast between the acoustic and harder parts is also very effective.

11. Aphex Twin, "Lichen" - I know this one, it's from Selected Ambient Works, Vol. II. Not my favorite Aphex album except as background music, but this is a good track from it: not too long or dissonant or repetitive.

12. Pinback, "Rousseau" - I don't know who these guys are, but they have some quintessential indie vocals in this song. I like the staccato piano and the melody in the verses; the chorus is considerably less interesting. The lyrics are pretty good too. Too bad I can't understand what anyone's saying. Good song, but flawed enough that I think it wears out its welcome before its 5 minutes is up.

13. Yann Tiersen, "Sur le Fil" - Much more somber than the Amélie theme, but arguably just as good. Nothing fancy, just darn good piano music with a great melody.

14. Opeth, "Hours of Wealth" - After "The Drapery Falls," this song makes it clear to me why Opeth is kind of difficult to categorize. No rawk, no metal voice (mercifully), just low-key guitar, keyboard and somber vocals. I don't find the melody particularly compelling, but it's a good song and a better album closer.

In short: Nice mix. The instrumentals, in particular, are basically unimpeachable. A few songs I'm not crazy about, but they're outweighed by far. Thanks!

Outshined

« Reply #33 on: 02 Feb 2006, 23:32 »

Glad to hear you liked it =).  I had a heck of a time trying to cram all those different genres in a way that would make sense, but I wanted to add a lot of variety so you would at least find something to latch on to.  Hence the wierd juxtapositions between mellowed out indie and death metal the next track, haha.  Did I write Super Metroid Brothers for track 3?  Oops!  Must have been thinking of another snes game, lol.  It's actually  "Super Metroid Brinstar" but you figured that out on your own.  If you are interested, I found two other remix variations on this theme, both of which are radically different from all the other takes.  Pretty cool.  

I also got my mix from El Opium, thanks a ton!  I really enjoyed it!  There is a lot of really good "music to zone out to" on here.  It's great as a chill out mix.  You really have to listen to this album with headphones on, there a lot of subtle, delicate sounds in there.  

Here is what I thought of individual tracks:

1)  Blowin Cool - Swervedriver: A nice, jangly, upbeat indie track to start the album.  I really enjoyed his voice.  The skill of the drummer in this song is kind of understated, but he's actually really good.  I didn't notice that on the first listen.  
2)  A Street Scene - Bark Psychosis: A more laid back song.  It has some nice atmospheric synth in the background and an understated, but funky, bassline going for it.  I'm still trying to figure out all the lyrics, but I like what I hear.  The outtro, with it's decrescendo of a very minimal guitar melody, struck me as very emotive.  
3) Sunday - Sonic Youth: This was actually my introduction to the much-talked-about Sonic Youth.  Noisy, dissonant guitars that seem to be the definition of this area of indie rock.  Quality stuff.
4) Morningrise - Slowdive: The first time I heard this track, I didn't really like it.  But after a few listens, it really does kind of develop a pleasant, almost lullabye kind of quality to it.  The lyrics and melody kind of drone on, and after a while this kind of lulls you into a pleasant state of numbness.  This band kind of reminds me of a more ambient Pinback with less emphasis on vocals, especially how the song had to grow on me, too.  
5) (Lets Do The) Empty House - The Comsat Angels: This song was a pleasant breather from the mellower tracks before it.  A little more upbeat and poppy, this song has lyrics and melodies that are catchy as hell.  I like the guy's voice a lot.  The kind of remind me of another, less sassy and more melodic take on the 80's revival type sound that you hear in The Faint and Franz Ferdinand.  I liked this song a lot in general.
6) Driving With Bert - Neil Halstead:  A meloncholy song, kind of in the same vein as Iron & Wine.  A nice folky feel to it.
7 & 8) October Part I & II - Tim Hecker:  An interesting change from the earlier more indie tracks.  This composition goes althogether ambient (drone?).  It was interesting, but didn't really pull me in like other ambient tracks have.
9)Rebuilt Passage - This Empty Flow:   This track had a lot of different influences, and an interestingly balanced composition.  It started out very mellow, and towards the middle had a string section that reminded me a little of M83, and finally there was a dissonant guitar section at the end.  The intro felt a little long, though.  
10) Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten - Arvo Part: A very delicate and emotional string composition.  I wonder if there is a background event to this song, as the title suggests.  
11) I Was a Prisoner in Your Skull - Swans: This track was just plain -wierd-.  Soon after the beginning, a really dissonant section comes in, that was decidedly unpleasant to listen to.  After that, a strange, nonsensical vocal loop comes in, and finally, a really strange monologue continues on and on, as some guy rants on and on about how "you are more fucked up than I am".  This one is just waaay out there.  I'm not really much for speaking or monologueing in music, and between that and the earlier dissonance, I didn't really like this track so much.  
12) Antartica Download - Seht: Pure drone.  It establishes a loop, and then elaborates it in extremely subtle ways over the course of 10 minutes.  It his kind of undulating feel, with the volume growing alternately louder and softer.  At some points, it reminds me a little of the sound of air flowing over a rotating fan.  At first I thought it was boring, but if you listen to it long enough, it just kind of draws you in and wraps all around you, lulling you into this sort of nirvanic state of numbness.  I actually kind of liked the hypnotic effect.  

After hearing the album through, I really get the feeling that you enjoy very mellow, sedated tracks.  If you haven't heard them already, I'd highly recommend checking out Pinback.  I have a feeling they'd be right up your alley.  They hay be a little upbeat compared to the music on this disc though, as a caution.  Worth a check out, at least.  Thanks again for the disk, good stuff overall!
Pages: [1]   Go Up