THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 21:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The OCD Soapbox  (Read 92760 times)

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
Re: The OCD Soapbox
« Reply #100 on: 26 Apr 2007, 08:28 »

Do you mean Hanners instead of Penelope?

a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Blind_Io

« Reply #101 on: 26 Apr 2007, 11:00 »

*headslap*

Yes, I mean Hanners.  No more posting at 2 AM when I should be sleeping.  Previous post is now edited so I don't look like a complete dork.

omigod

« Reply #102 on: 29 Apr 2007, 11:50 »

someone was questioning how hannelore was able to go into a bar where the likes of Jimbo inhabit.

I find that as long as i don't see people do anything gross, i won't feel the need to constantly wash my hands. y'know "what you don't know can't hurt you"

Although travelling on the bus every day does start to make me feel abit paranoid about pressing the bell to stop the bus or having to hold onto a railing (i've found i can just get on the bus and then get off at the popular stops where the bus HAS to stop anyways) that and i find myself feeling very unsure when i can't sit in one of the few seats i've decided are "OK" to sit in - Although there's always going to be the day, when someone sits in your seat and you think "oh god i'm going to get thier germs, i'll not sit there for the next week"

Although in places where young people in thier 20's go, (i.e. university) i find myself compelled to ALWAYS wash my hands after using the campus computers 'cos you never know who's been usuing it before you (icky sex germs).

I have a problem with washing my hands too much. but i don't do it until my hands go red raw, i'm just going to have joint problems when i get older. and then i can't dry them on the hand towel because everyone else has used that towel.

wow i don't need to sign up with a psychiatrist, i can just pour everything out here

Johnny Evilguy

« Reply #103 on: 29 Apr 2007, 14:27 »

Although in places where young people in thier 20's go, (i.e. university) i find myself compelled to ALWAYS wash my hands after using the campus computers 'cos you never know who's been usuing it before you (icky sex germs).

I have a problem with washing my hands too much. but i don't do it until my hands go red raw, i'm just going to have joint problems when i get older. and then i can't dry them on the hand towel because everyone else has used that towel.

I work as a computer maintenance / admin, and let me tell you: You don't have to have OCD to wash your hands after using the computers... How people can't is beyond me... I'm not going to tell any stories but there were instances when we had to call security...(spitting tobacco + fist fights)

I've always wondered: can't you hire and talk to a psychiatrist online these days? Or is it still the office and couch?

question to omi: I've watched shows on people with OCD, is yours strictly germ-related? or does it cover a broad aspect of habits...like waking up at the exact times, or checking something a set amount of times?

Of course if you don't feel comfortable to answer its cool...

That said...

LOOK OVER THERE! *ninja vanish*

omigod

« Reply #104 on: 30 Apr 2007, 05:41 »

question to omi: I've watched shows on people with OCD, is yours strictly germ-related? or does it cover a broad aspect of habits...like waking up at the exact times, or checking something a set amount of times?

Of course if you don't feel comfortable to answer its cool...

That said...

LOOK OVER THERE! *ninja vanish*

I'm actually finding it quite liberating being able to discuss OCD on here because for the past 9 years i've kept it a secret from everyone (except my family). Even friends who thought they knew EVERYTHING about me, didn't know about it.

I'm not strictly germ-related, but germs are a BIG worry to me.
I have to check i've turned the boiler off at least 3 times (because once i left it on and then was told i nearly burned the house down  :-( )
Locking doors is also a bit confusing because i can't tell if i've locked it and i have to unlock then lock again.
I don't really know how to control the times i wake up 'cos sometimes i can't sleep.

when i was younger i tried to take an even number of steps because i was worried i'd wear out one leg more than the other etc. Cracks in pavements didn't really bother me. But the vinyl flooring (because it's easier to keep clean than carpet) in my bedroom has a sequence of coloured squares, but i keep staring at it and can't find a pattern to it. that's becoming quite annoying.

Also through an over-active imagination i get really worried that my friends have got home okay incase anything bad happens to them on thier journey. I thought it was just sincerity and that i really cared about them (and i do) but now i'm also thinking that perhaps it's just OCD.

The only shows i've seen with people who have OCD is 'Monk' and 'Scrubs'. What other shows are there? 

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #105 on: 30 Apr 2007, 07:04 »

when i was younger i tried to take an even number of steps because i was worried i'd wear out one leg more than the other

I used to do exactly that, and now I still try to step on the same number of dark and light paving slabs with each foot. I've managed to stop doing the hopping thing though, where I would hop on one leg to make up the right numbers.

I don't think I've really got OCD but if it's a sliding scale, I'm higher up it than I'd like to be. Particularly with the germs thing. In fact I'm off school today because I'm feeling a bit queasy and I know I will not be able to go into the school toilets if I'm feeling sick. In fact it would probably make me sick.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Johnny Evilguy

« Reply #106 on: 30 Apr 2007, 10:53 »

I must have OCD too because you described what I used to do as a child; In fact, that and combined with my sleepwalking rewarded me to a trip to the doctor ala brain wave tests... They said I was "normal" although the next day I was throwing toys at other kids, man I think I was just  :evil:

The only shows i've seen with people who have OCD is 'Monk' and 'Scrubs'. What other shows are there? 

As far as shows go, it was one of those documentaries, "I have OCD" type they have on Discovery channel... or used too... Discovery Health has similar programming... They went inside the life of a married couple whose husband had OCD and did everything in routine... if he messed up he would do it again regardless of time...or something...

That said Monk and Scrubs are awesome shows....

And I agree with Barmy that OCD is probably a sliding scale...

mahvelousmeat

« Reply #107 on: 10 May 2007, 21:04 »

I'm diagnosed OCD, panic disorder and depression. Whee!

Basically, from the research I've done (medical obsessions are a bitch...I used to read medical books obsessively as a kid to make sure I wasn't coming down with a life-threatening disease) I've learned several main points that have not been discussed here:

* To be diagnosed with OCD, the obsessions and/or compulsions need to significantly interfere with your daily life.  Most places I've read have cited this as >1 hour per day.  Basically, if it's stopping you from completing the major tasks and interactions of the day, it's probably something you should talk to a psychiatrist about.
* You can have Pure Obsessional OCD, Pure Compulsive OCD, or a combination of Obsessional/Compulsive.
* To the person who posted about being diagnosed at age 7 after several strep infections, this is something called P.A.N.D.A.S (Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal infections).  You can get OCD from having too many strep throat infections.  Weird, huh?
* Monk is a pretty severe example, but he seems pretty accurate. 
* There are several different categories of compulsions; most people with OCD fit into multiple.
* Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder is different from Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder.  People with OCD realize that what they are doing is irrational, but they can't stop themselves from doing it (at least without significant anxiety.)  People with OCPD don't realize that what they are doing is irrational.  They think it's weird that YOU think it's weird that they spend fifteen minutes making sure that all the chairs are properly lined up.
* People with OCD aren't going to kill you in your sleep!  I had a friend who used to joke about this, lumping me in with those who have severe psychotic or delusional issues that may cause them to commit heinous crimes against their fellow man.  Just because someone has OCD (and therefore an often-visible sign of "being crazy") does NOT mean that they are unaware of their surroundings or the way they interact with people. :-/

There were more things I wanted to say, but I can't remember them.  However, I will leave you two funny stories about my OCD...

* Two Septembers ago, I had just been diagnosed with OCD and was in the process of trying out different treatment options, etc.  I was frustrated that I wasn't making any progress, so I decided to try and take things into my own hands.  What did this translate to? Disorganizing my closet.  I had a VERY rigid system for ordering my clothes (it would take about 10 minutes to explain this system, no joke.)  I spent a good half an hour yanking hangered clothes out of my closet, shoving hangered clothes over, and reinserting the clothing item in it's new, disorganized location.  My roommate (who, by the way, had only known me for about 2 weeks at this point) sat on her bed and laughed her @$$ off at me.  When it was done, I sat on my bed and tried to do homework...I had to shut the closet door in an effort to stop myself from going over there and reorganizing it again :-P

* I have an issue with stepping on cracks.  However, this was later that year, and my treatment was starting to work...I was feeling great.  My roommate (same one!) and I were walking down the hill to our dorm room, and I was jumping around and being silly.  I decided to prove to her that I could step on cracks now, and that my treatment was working!  I started jumping on every crack I could find - jump, jump, jump - and she was laughing.  Then, I take a really big leap onto the crack that divided the sidewalk and the grass. Unbeknownst to me, the sidewalk was about 2" higher than the ground, so I fell and rolled down the hill, giving myself a nasty gash on the knee in the process.  To this day, this event is known as "Bridget's Great Crack Fiasco".  :-P

Clobbersaurus

• Emoticontraindication
  • homosex
« Reply #108 on: 22 May 2007, 02:41 »

can't. stop. squeezing. pores. and. popping. zits.

on myself or anyone else that lets me. it was getting pretty bad for a while but i've been able to curb it by keeping mirrors is hard to reach places, or dim lighting, as well as arguments with my current bf, and it has since calmed down to where it doesn't interfere with life (or more specifically, conversation. i'd be paying more attention to a black head on someone's face than what they were saying to me, and out of nowhere ask "can i squeeze that?")

at its worst i felt like i was going to go crazy and feel physically ill if i didn't squeeze the offending pore or zit. there's also something erotic to it that i can't really explain, but it definetly never translated into some wierd fetish or anything. i just felt as ease and more intimate doing so, so it became an obsession to find people willing to let me pop them. also at its worst, i stayed in a not-so-beneficial relationship mainly because that person let me pop their pores. i would be more excited to see what new black heads this person had than actually seeing him... so yeah, it was pretty bad.

i still love to do it, and my current bf lets me pop him, and it is regulated so that my pincer-like fingers dont get too squeeze-happy.

and yes, i visit that zit fetish blog on LJ. afjsldkjflkajsdf  :lol:
male elephant seals are really ugly.

Neadric

« Reply #109 on: 04 Jun 2007, 10:50 »

it takes me about 5 minutes to set the alarm clock every night because 1 time it didn't go off. so i have to make sure that my phone is charging (i use cell phone for alarm) that the alarm is on, and that it's on for the correct time, then i gotta make sure its not set on vibrate... yea and if i don't do it i can't fall asleep  :|

also at the helpdesk i work at we have to sign off our phones, one day i didnt sign off for the weekend. so now i have to say "sign off" about 37 times out loud while signing on and off before i can leave for the day without thinking about it.

once i start cleaning, i cannot stop. i mean that literally when i used to live with my parents, i would start cleaning my room and i would wind up cleaning the whole house. when i do it at my house now where i live with 3 roomies i have to distract myself with some other activity after i finish cleaning my room so that i don't start cleaning our townhouse.

« Last Edit: 04 Jun 2007, 10:58 by Neadric »

Heresiarch

« Reply #110 on: 22 Jun 2007, 09:28 »

I don't know anything about OCD except what I've read in this thread, but there's a book that I think people here would enjoy - The Pleasure of my Company, by Steve Martin. Yes, that's Steve Martin the comedian, but don't let that turn you off. The book is not wild, wacky, or crude - it's very well-written.

The main character is a mathematical savant with OCD issues. For instance, the wattage of lights that are turned on in his apartment has to add up to 1,125. If he turns off a light in one room he has to turn on a light in another room to maintain the balance. Also, he can't step off a curb, he can only cross a street where there are symmetrically opposed driveways on either side of the road. Later, when he goes jogging with a neighbor, he has to step off a curb and it's a big deal. He doesn't want to embarass himself and manages to do it by following his neighbor, maybe imagining that his neighbor temporarily broke through the barrier. That's why I say it's a good book - who would imagine that I'd be riveted by reading three pages about a guy psyching himself up to step off a curb

So it seems like the depiction of OCD in the book is pretty feasbile.

One question though, can people with OCD be "triggered" into adopting compulsions that they hear or read about? I'm guessing the answer is "no," or else this thread wouldn't have very many replies.

chefhoagy

« Reply #111 on: 22 Jun 2007, 09:38 »

Okay...here's a question. As a person who is woefully un-educated about such things as OCD (other than a discussion about it in Psychology class at college), is it possible that it can be triggered by other people's actions or by the way they were raised?

I ask that because of Hannelore's reaction to her mother's impending visit. Is Hanners the way she is because of her mother, or because of something specifically in Hanner's mental make-up, and nothing to do with her mom?

HellPuppi

« Reply #112 on: 02 Jul 2007, 19:17 »

I used to have fairly bad OCD, but now with the help of my friends it's just turned into a mild anxiety disorder. I can really identify with hanners and I'm glad she's in the strip.
I have piercings, and I smoke. Smoking helps calm me down. I know it's not the best thing to do but like Faye I'd rather smoke, or in Faye's case drink, then be on an RX for the rest of my life.

I used to have to stack thing before I ate them, and the kitchen would always have to be clean (just giving some examples). I didn't realize how bad I had some of these things until I was washing dishes at every friend's house I went to, or that I was stacking animal crackers by shape...and yet I I mix together food before I eat it and don't have a problem with that?  Contradictions are just part of life, i think. It's being a person, not someone you laugh at on television.

I also have a mild panic attack when I have to go into someplace new, or meet people I haven't met before.

...yeah...this whole long post was simply 'I don't care if hanners is textbook OCD or whatevs, I'm just glad she's around'. It makes me laugh and feel better about my own problems.

RefD

• Larger than most fish
  • A heartfelt, moving tribute to ennui.
« Reply #113 on: 03 Jul 2007, 22:49 »

i have depression, PD and anxiety disorder.

the anxiety comes and goes over the course of a day (but can at times nearly overwhelm me for weeks at a time), tho.

good thing, too, cos otherwise i wouldn't be able to sing and play music for ppl or do my dayjob/career-that-i-hate!

i know ALOT of ppl in both the entertainment (performers even) and IT fields who can barely even talk on a telephone, ppl you would never know had anything going on cos they seem so together when you walk up to them...but you get to know them and discover they're loaded down with all sorts of stuff.

you can't really tell what's going on under the hood with ppl just by looking at them on the surface.

myself, i can go from interacting with a clamouring crowd of ppl or an angry customer in a calm and friendly manner to practically curling up in fetal position and chewing my hands bloody within the space of a few minutes.

panic attacks are far worse for me.

i don't know if i could cope with OCD, but anyone who can get through a day with that in their life has both my sympathy and respect.

vunja

« Reply #114 on: 16 Jul 2007, 10:09 »

i think something else about OCD that has been inadequately mentioned is how close it ties with anxiety disorders. most of us with just quirks, it annoys us if we can't do whatever it is, maybe even worry a little, but with OCD it's blown completely out of proportion. lots of people with OCD also think that they have much more control over the world than they actually do; not checking the stove 20 times might cause the entire world to end. (and lots of people really believe that. and holding millions of lives in your hands, who wouldn't be worried?)

having said that, it can also work in reverse. i have horrible, awful anxiety. (and for the record, i've had it as long as i can remember. if my parents would have admitted i had a problem, i should have been in therapy since i was six or so.) without my meds, i can't go out into public, i can barely post online. i become destructive and alone and in a constant state of panic. now, with my meds, i keep it mostly under control. however, i have traded that anxiety for another, which is a common side effect of anti-anxiety meds. i have "OCD tendencies due to severe anxiety", quote from my therapist. instead of having a meltdown whenever i come into contact with another person, i just have to arrange things and do some things a certain way. i'm completely fine with this.

also, someone mentioned OCD having close ties with Asperger's / Autism. not all autism-spectrum people have OCD tendencies, but most of them have an intense desire to do whatever needs to be EXACTLY as they want it to. this blows everyone's regular quirks out of proportion. if it looks slightly better even, then it absolutely must be even.

i speak mostly in generalizations, but, yeah. it's true. OCD is awful. and i love Hanners. <3

mahvelousmeat

« Reply #115 on: 07 Aug 2007, 07:19 »

Anxiety and OCD are linked for a lot of people.  I started having panic attacks (which have gotten increasingly worse over the years) because of the anxiety caused by my OCD.  They can trigger from non-OCD-problematic circumstances, but that's a major reason they came into play in the first place.

As for the autism/asperger's link, I'm an Education major (going to be an English teacher, woo) and I had to take a class about special education as part of my program.  My professor told me that OCD, as far as special education is concerned, is classified as "high functioning autism" because of the rigidity of routines and the distress caused by not following them.  Now, lots of people with OCD can function in a normal school/work environment, they'll have their quirks but they can function.  Only if someone had OCD so badly that they would have trouble with the everyday classroom tasks (completing assignments and tests, doing in-class work, completing projects, walking from class to class with everybody else, etc) might they have a full special education program (called an IEP, if you care) written up for them.  Generally, though, I think these plans would be in conjunction with the therapy they are already having (it wouldn't isolate them from the things that bothered them forever; it would be gradually adding them back so that the patient could eventually lead some semblance of a "normal" life.

So, rambling about special ed = super cool, apparently.  But yes, I agree with you, vunja...OCD suxxors and Hanners is awesome.  :-)  And well said, RefD.  Sometimes the person who seems the most pulled-together can be dealing with a lot more than you know.

tonyb640

« Reply #116 on: 09 Aug 2007, 05:04 »

I agree with DM almost everyone has OC Traits it is the brains way to understand the world even if we dont understand it everyone makes patterns and has a need for symmitry or asymitry based on the type of person you are.  Just because i have to type a sentence out as is would say it regardless of grammer dosent mean i have ODC.  I just cant read anythin i wright if it isnt how i would say it.  This lead to alot of problems in school but i cant make sence of my wrighting if i get the grammer just riight.  I just wanted to drop that in and see what you thought.

Fluffy the Destroyer

« Reply #117 on: 16 Aug 2007, 19:56 »

I've had mild OCD for my whole life, and have plenty of contradictory behaviors. Some days it's not even noticeable, and other days I'll waste massive amounts of time on the most trivial things. I can usually function at 100%, but when nothing important is going on, it'll take a whole hour to square up and space every single thing on my desk. Sometimes I wash my hands every half-hour, but other days I can pick up change off of the ground without the slightest thought to sanitation. Once again, "C" does NOT stand for consistent.
Also, obsessions are often entirely contextual; if you view an object, say, for instance, sunglasses, simply as a random, meaningless object, you can entirely ignore the fact that those glasses are not just an article of dirty clothing, but also belong to the disgusting Natasha.
This is just my experience.

[Keep in mind that Hanners is a fictional character.]

Lazer

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • PIZZA TIME
« Reply #118 on: 23 Aug 2007, 13:05 »

I want to think I have OCD but I'm not quite sure about it. It's more just everytime I clean myself I have to do the bathing motions in multiples of three, or start over the whole process. ie: I'm taking a shower so I have to wash my hair nine times, then my arm nine times, so on and so forth. Same with cleaning my hands. I also have a big problem with certain substances landing on me. I especially despise ketchup getting on my bare skin. If it does I'll probably have an anxiety attack until I can find my way to a bathroom and wash my hands.

To a lesser extent, I sometimes get weirded out about how things are arranged and will occasionally go ballistic on my room and reorganize everything for no reason in particular.

Also if I'm having an anxiety attack caused by the things mentioned above it helps me to calm down until a more permanent solution is resolved by tapping on things in multiples of three.

Jeeze Louise I'm retarded.

s0ck ninja

« Reply #119 on: 23 Aug 2007, 16:28 »

Some compulsions make sense and some don't.  I yell or swear when an embarrassing though enters my mind.  That in itself can cause an embarrassing moment in a public place.  But it makes some sense.  It's a way to get the thought out of my mind quickly.

I saw this on the first page of this topic and immediately felt like I needed to post a reply. I have a few compulsive quirks, but my one genuine obsession-compulsion is that I can't embarrass myself, think about embarrassing myself, or watch someone else being embarrassed. It gets to the point where, if I'm watching a TV show and a character says something stupid, I cover my face with a pillow for the rest of the hour or just run out of the room. I distinctly remember watching comedies as a kid and rolling around on the carpet muttering to myself because I couldn't deal with it. It makes movie-watching with friends awkward sometimes. xD I've been writing since I knew how, and drawing, too, so looking back at old pieces of work amplifies the usual "artist's shame" to, literally, curl-up-and-shiver proportions. That one makes sorting through old note/sketchbooks a bit troublesome - it's on my mind because I just had to do some of that today. Bleh.

Tobuway22

« Reply #120 on: 25 Aug 2007, 00:01 »

I yell or swear when an embarrassing though enters my mind.  That in itself can cause an embarrassing moment in a public place.  But it makes some sense.  It's a way to get the thought out of my mind quickly.

Thought I was the only one who did that, feels good to know im not alone.  It still sucks knowing that at any moment I could start swearing like a drunken sailor with tourets syndrome who just stubbed his toe, but I still feel better thanks for shareing

RefD

• Larger than most fish
  • A heartfelt, moving tribute to ennui.
« Reply #121 on: 26 Aug 2007, 01:12 »

I have a few compulsive quirks, but my one genuine obsession-compulsion is that I can't embarrass myself, think about embarrassing myself, or watch someone else being embarrassed. It gets to the point where, if I'm watching a TV show and a character says something stupid, I cover my face with a pillow for the rest of the hour or just run out of the room. I distinctly remember watching comedies as a kid and rolling around on the carpet muttering to myself because I couldn't deal with it. It makes movie-watching with friends awkward sometimes. xD I've been writing since I knew how, and drawing, too, so looking back at old pieces of work amplifies the usual "artist's shame" to, literally, curl-up-and-shiver proportions. That one makes sorting through old note/sketchbooks a bit troublesome - it's on my mind because I just had to do some of that today. Bleh.

wow, this totally sounds like me!

Ari

« Reply #122 on: 23 Sep 2007, 16:28 »

So, I've been meaning to check these forums to see if anyone had posted about Hanners and I'm not surprised to find how long this thread is ;)

I previously had a minor case of OCD (to the point where my therapist actually had to check the criteria to be sure it needed to be treated) which was diagnosed while I was recieving treatment for another mental illness. I'm glad a lot of people have covered the difference between OC behaviour and actual OCD, because I wouldn't want anyone turning into a hypochondriac for no real reason ;) Unless it causes you significant distress, you're not unwell. Just a little obsessive. Or compulsive :)

Some of the stuff here is unfortunately very familiar, and I'm glad to hear most of you deal with it fine. (needing numbers and repeated actions to add up to a multiple of 2 or 5, avoiding cracks or differently coloured tiles or bricks when walking, making things "match the pattern", obsessive cleanliness, inability to deal with embarrassment, (I hadn't even realised that was a compulsion until now! fortunately it's reigned along with the others) repeated pressing of buttons and flicking of switches, the obsessive need to make sure things don't fail "Is the remote really switched to TV?" "Did I sign out properly?", etc...) From what I remember, if you're actually suffering from the disorder, you're unlikely to just have one isolated obsession or compulsion.

What struck me about the depiction of Hanners is that recently she's begun to say she enjoys those activities. That's not exactly OCD as the whole reason it's a disorder is the anxiety caused by not wanting to trip your obsessions or compulsions. Other than that though, she's been a really good example of OCD and I'm always glad to see mental illnesses portrayed faithfully, not the least because it raises awareness. (Although OCD and depression usually get the most exposure, hopefully this will make people more aware of mental illness in general :) ) Hopefully you'll also consider the fact that some of you can recognise similar behaviour in yourselves without counting as having the disorder as evidence that those of us dealing with mental illness really aren't that different. :)

Madartistgirl

« Reply #123 on: 30 Sep 2007, 05:18 »

I know that I'm not OCD by any stretch of the imagination. I'm just a little... weird.
 It's really funny how tons of people seem to have the treading-on-cracks thing. I knew I wasn't the only one but I didn't know it was so common!
 But then I also have a thing where I have to sleep with my blanket covering my head otherwise I feel like someone is going to stab me in the head or something. I keep telling myself that a blanket isn't going to provide much protection if someone IS going to try to kill me in my sleep but that doesn't really work. Oh well...
 I also have the other common obsession (or is it a compulsion?) where if I touch one side of my face or something, I have to touch the other side as well.
 I breathe funniily, too. Sometimes I breathe in time to a song that's in my head or if I breathe in, I have to breathe out the same amount of air. I don't even notice I'm doing it until suddenly I listen to myself breathing.
 Also, I'm not sure if this counts as an obsession, but I also have to tuck my hair behind my ear all the time. I physically can't stop myself from doing it, even when my hair is tied back. Then when I untuck my hair again, because it looks better when it's loose, I immediately have to tuck it back behind my ear.
 God, it's strange that I never thought I had that many quirks, but when I write them all down, it sounds like I have mild OCD (I don't; when I was about 8 I constantly washed my hands, but I've grown out of that).
 Still, it's good to know that so many people have the same obsessions (or compulsions? Not sure which.) as me!

Bishop138

• Plantmonster
  • Suave....
« Reply #124 on: 14 Nov 2007, 09:19 »

I'll just go with the throwing tomatoes option  :-D :-P
"Oh, that's not him taunting you.
That's his idea of a welcome gift.
Instead of a basket with wine and cheese,
you get jpegs of equine molestation."

Phelix

« Reply #125 on: 20 Nov 2007, 00:09 »

It's oddly relieving to read so many other people's quirks. I wouldn't say I have bad OCD, but I definitely get bad cases of it when I'm stressed.

Holidays are horrible. I clean to gain control. Hell, there've been a few times where my mother deliberately upset me to set off a cleaning binge. Gah... those were pleasant. In regular life, if I start to feel out of control, if I start to worry or stress, I rearrange furniture. One week last year I completely rearranged my bedroom five times. My roommates didn't complain until I completely rearranged the common furniture.

At work, I cannot work until I get my desk into my pattern. I share a desk with two other people, so when I'm not there, they use the desk and usually leave it however they feel. I can't handle that. Whenever I get there after they've used my desk I have to clear the desk and start fresh. I file their things, I toss their trash, I wipe the desk with antibacterial cleaner, I spray the keyboard with canned air and then wipe the desk again, and then wipe the keyboard and mouse down, as well as the phone. At that point, I start setting up my pattern. I pull out my pen, my note pad, my files, and set them in their proper places. It completely freaks me out when someone uses my pen and puts it away incorrectly. I'm sure they use it when I'm not there, but I know when they put it away in the wrong spot. If I find my pen, or god help me, my files, in the incorrect location I have to disinfect them and then figure out who used them. Not so much the pen, but the files... I track down who used them, why, and make sure they know where the files belong. The worst thing is when someone takes my pen. Think Office Space and the red stapler. At the end of the day I put everything away in its proper space and do my best to make sure that the station is clean and ready for whomever uses it next.

Today, that general office need for order extended to our supply closet. I spent about two hours reorganizing a three by three room. I moved 70% of the things in the closet, wiped 90% of them down with disinfecting wipes, and removed and trashed about 20% of the things. It all started because someone left a box of pens in the wrong spot, which lead me to putting them in their proper location, where someone had misplaced felt tip pens, whose proper location was taken up by highlighters... and it went on. There are twelve shelves in our closet, I ended up relabeling most of them.

Gah... thinking about it now, and it looks crazy from the outside... let's just hope my supervisor likes the changes I made.

Anyhoo... I'm done rambling now about my crazy tendencies. Thank you all for sharing yours... it helped me. :)

piccolo14

« Reply #126 on: 11 Dec 2007, 23:59 »

It's interesting that someone drew a correlation between Asperger's Syndrome/Autism and OCD. I'm diagnosed Asperger's (albeit very, very mild), and have always demonstrated obsessive and compulsive tendencies. I always just chalked it up to being highly neurotic. I might even have OCD, I don't know. However, since everyone else is sharing their quirks, I may as well.

I demonstrate certain compulsions, such as constantly checking the locks (This is the one; I'm constantly checking the doors and windows, and even the vents, to see if a thief or assailant could get in, to the point where it often keeps me up at nights; More on this below), and checking the burners. I crack my fingers constantly, have to have the lights at a certain brightness level, I bite my nails ridiculously short, at first signs of the slightest growth (and violently, vigorously attack hangnails), and I organize relentlessly.

My organization has been a bit of a problem. It only manifests in certain situations, usually revolving around entertainment, such as books, movies, and games. My desk is an absolute mess, but my video games and books are organized alphabetically by author/director/developer, and alphabetically by title, unless it's a series, which the series title is filed alphabetically, and the individual books/games/movies are organized by chronology of events (The Kingdom Under Fire games really threw me a loop; I traded them in without hardly playing them as a result), and all discs have to be rotated to the proper position (Text has to be upright). This pisses the hell out of roommates, as I'll refile their games and such, but it bothers me greatly when they aren't organized just so. However, that's the easy part to deal with. Whenever I go into a store's Electronics or Books section, I have to reorganize their products. I have to make sure every CD is level with every other CD, they're all pushed against the back of the case or hook, and alphabetized. This actually got me in trouble when I worked for Walmart, as they have a specific "zoning" system, which inconveniently requires everything to be pulled forward on shelves and and hangers. Blech.

The compulsions are fairly mild. With the exception of causing problems at work (I've mostly worked retail; See my comment on Walmart, as it goes for a decent few chains), it hasn't really affected my life very negatively, save for a few bloody cuticles and pissed off roommates. In fact, I can name one situation where the organizational compulsion helped; I once worked a temp receptionist gig at a place that had me reorganize their files. They loved my work. The real problems that I've had are the obsessions. See, I can deal with just the compulsions, but when I get obsessed, it usually revolves around a paranoid fantasy which makes me question whether it's not something a bit more serious than just OCD or Asperger's.

The first one I remember was The Dog. I once had a daydream as a child that a hulking, growling, slavering, beast of a Pomeranian was gonna break through my second story window and eat me. Typical childish nightmare, right? Nope. This fecking Living Monolith of a rat-dog stayed with me for six years, until we moved. Every night, Dad had to check to make sure the blinds were down and the curtains drawn, so the damned creature couldn't see me. I realized it was completely ridiculous, but it still kept me up nights.

After we moved, I was fine for a few years, save for the one obsession that never passed, an insane, crippling obsession with looking for signs of rejection and affront, that dominates my days, keeps me up nights, and has led to homelessness, job abandonment, and abandonment of friends and family (All based on paranoid delusions regarding each situation). However, I have my own suspicions regarding that, and very few of them have to with OCD. That's always been there, ever since I was a toddler. I didn't get my next real "obsession" until I was thirteen or so. That was when I played Resident Evil 2. Zombies were everywhere for two years, and I had to barricade my bedroom door and draw the blinds, and get up and check them every so often. I got over that one, and a new one crops up all the time, with each year or two usually yielding a new obsessive fantasy. Most of which revolve around locking and barricading my door and keeping the blinds and curtains drawn.

I don't know if it's OCD or OC quirks, or some other variety of fecked-up, or a mixture of any two of the aforementioned, but I figured I'd bring it up, since I completely relate to Hannelore.

« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2007, 00:49 by piccolo14 »

TheEternalN00b

« Reply #127 on: 16 Jan 2008, 09:19 »

My twitch is when people refer to obsessive or compulsive tendencies as OCD. OCD stands for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. It is a psychological disorder that was actually quite adequately defined earlier on in this thread. OCD should not be used as in the sentence: "Oh man, I am so OCD about my socks, they have to be organized in just this way."
For those of you who truly have to live with the disorder, my sympathies.

Trillian

• Furry furrier
« Reply #128 on: 16 Jan 2008, 10:21 »

I am rather late in approaching this thread (as per usual as I have only been actively posting for two days), but I just wanted to say that I am really glad that someone actually decided to discuss this topic, and that there have been many helpful posts to broaden the general understanding of the condition.  Hanners is rad.  I was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder at 12, and currently I smoke as well as have piercings and a tattoo.  OCD manifests itself in many ways, and different people have different methods of dealing with it.  I do like that Hanners does seem to be pretty consistent...at least I can identify with her.

As The EternalNOOb pointed out, it is kind of funny how many people think they have obsessive compulsive disorder based off of certain quirks they have in their daily behavior.  In my experience, everyone has some vaguely obsessive behaviors.  The point in which it becomes OCD is when you feel like you can't control it and it is enough to completely hinder your ability to function (for example, my family came home from a trip and my sister threw her dirty clothes in the laundry room without sorting them or putting them in hampers.  I went into my room and passed out from exhaustion, but shortly afterward woke from a dead sleep in a panic because I realized subconsciously what had happened.  I couldn't go back to sleep until I had done all of the laundry because it bothered me so badly.  In case you hadn't noticed, I am big on organization, and that everything has a place and it should go there dangit!)   I find it to be rather difficult to try and explain the disorder when so many people have a rather off-kilter version of the disorder stuck in their minds.

Anyway, I do agree that Hanners is fairly consistent with the reality of the disorder.  She has he quirks, and I love her for them.  :) 
Quote from: zerodrone
When we form our cuddlecore band, can we be like The Kills and get as close to having sex onstage as legally possible?

Last.fm

Naoko

« Reply #129 on: 23 Jan 2008, 10:33 »

I'm late to thread, too, as Trillian said - I finally made an account yesterday, after reading QC for over a year and sometimes stalking the forum.

Anyway, I agree with Trillian and Eternaln00b's posts - tendencies =///= OCD. I don't know anybody with serious OCD, but a lot of people I closely know do have some kind of compulsive/obsessive behavior.

Actually, I have a lot of compulsive behaviors. It doesn't affect my life (except for people staring/calling me weird), and it doesn't actually take up any time from my day, so it's not really OCD. Still, I feel really unbalanced if I don't follow them.

Does anyone else have a need to feel balanced, whether you have OCD or just an odd tendency? That's my main problem, though it really doesn't bother me. It's just little things like having to shut both doors of a cabinet or fridge at the same time. Or, I have to make sure my feet walk the same way. If one foot skids across the ground or slips, I have to do the same with the other foot. If one foot touches the ground toe first instead of heel first, I have to touch the ground toe-first with the other foot. It especially applies to cracks, where if my heel touches a crack, I have to touch the next crack with the heel of my other foot, but if I touch the crack with a different part of my foot, then I have to touch it with the other part on the first foot. And it goes on. Extremely confusing, but I do that most of the time. If I'm focused on something, I usually don't pay attention to the cracks or my feet, and I don't go back to correct how I step if I get to where I'm going, so it doesn't take up extra time. It's just kind of odd.

Oh, and if I turn in a circle, I have to turn back around the other way. Like when going up multiple flights of stairs, you're eventually turning in circles, so I turn the other way around after finishing a flight of stairs. Or when getting into a car, if sitting down would cause a circle, I'd have to turn around, and THEN sit down. Does that make sense to people? This is the only time that people actually notice anything, actually.

But, it doesn't bother me at all, and they don't take up any time. So it's really not a disorder because it doesn't actually cause any problems or anxiety. All it does is make me feel unbalanced or awkward for a couple of minutes, or until something grabs my attention. They're just very weird tendencies I have, and I've heard that they're a common compulsion for people who seriously have OCD. In the end, I'd rather keep my odd ways of doing these things, hahah. For those of you who seriously have a disorder, good luck to you.

But then I also have a thing where I have to sleep with my blanket covering my head otherwise I feel like someone is going to stab me in the head or something. I keep telling myself that a blanket isn't going to provide much protection if someone IS going to try to kill me in my sleep but that doesn't really work. Oh well...
 I also have the other common obsession (or is it a compulsion?) where if I touch one side of my face or something, I have to touch the other side as well.
 I breathe funniily, too. Sometimes I breathe in time to a song that's in my head or if I breathe in, I have to breathe out the same amount of air. I don't even notice I'm doing it until suddenly I listen to myself breathing.

Hey, I do those same things, too. I taught myself some weird ways of sleeping when I was a kid, and now I can't change them. No matter how hot it is, I REQUIRE having a blanket covering me, and my feet MUST be entirely covered. Otherwise I get that same "someone is going to kill me in my sleep" thing. Uncovered feet = death? Hahah. Kind of weird.

And... Hanners is awesome.

hasrobcu

« Reply #130 on: 05 Feb 2008, 22:00 »

Some compulsions make sense and some don't.  I yell or swear when an embarrassing though enters my mind.  That in itself can cause an embarrassing moment in a public place.  But it makes some sense.  It's a way to get the thought out of my mind quickly.

I saw this on the first page of this topic and immediately felt like I needed to post a reply. I have a few compulsive quirks, but my one genuine obsession-compulsion is that I can't embarrass myself, think about embarrassing myself, or watch someone else being embarrassed. It gets to the point where, if I'm watching a TV show and a character says something stupid, I cover my face with a pillow for the rest of the hour or just run out of the room. I distinctly remember watching comedies as a kid and rolling around on the carpet muttering to myself because I couldn't deal with it. It makes movie-watching with friends awkward sometimes. xD I've been writing since I knew how, and drawing, too, so looking back at old pieces of work amplifies the usual "artist's shame" to, literally, curl-up-and-shiver proportions. That one makes sorting through old note/sketchbooks a bit troublesome - it's on my mind because I just had to do some of that today. Bleh.

I saw this thread and just had to post. I know I'm not OCD, I won't even start to say that I am, but I definitely have an obsessive personality. I do the above as well, going so far as to turn off the tv when I'm watching my favorite movies, even when I know what's going to happen, I can't STAND to watch people get embarrassed. I can't go back over what I've written without going OMG this is horrible! I had a short story I wrote when I was in 10th grade, my teacher said was the best piece of fiction she'd ever read. I decided to try to type it up and couldn't because I thought it was just so amateur and I didn't know how to fix it. I never thought of it as being apart of my obsessiveness.

So, here's my list of things apart from that:
*I prefer things to be a multiple of 5. Anything ending in 5 or 0 is wonderful, I can divide it with no problems and it just feels more balanced to me.
*I have to break words down into syllables. Syl-lab-bls. They have to have the same number of letters in each syllable that are there.
*I have to force myself not to crunch leaves. I completely want to, and can feel them calling me to be crunched, but I refuse!
*When I do clean (laziness takes over my obsession for order) things have to be lined up JUST RIGHT or I go crazy. But once I use them, meh. No big deal.
*I have crazy thoughts about what it would feel like to stab myself with a knife. Never really felt compelled to do it, but I imagine what the pain would feel like. Sometimes I can almost feel it.

Not so weird after reading other stories about people with obsessions, but I tell you, I lost a lot of friends in school because I would become obsessed with them. My mom thought I was a lesbian for part of my life because of my obsessions over my friends. I've almost got control over that, but it is so...I don't know, I can't even begin to describe it.

It also doesn't take over my life, it's not time consuming so I know I don't have the disorder.

shoegazer

« Reply #131 on: 15 Feb 2008, 20:28 »

does anyone here get panick attacks from their ocd? I do and it really sucks. like if theres a door open in school I can't just get up and close it so I just sit and panic until it gets so bad I won't be able to breath.

To top that off my parents don't believe in stuff like Ocd/ panic attacks/add so theres no real way I get any help. they always think I'm faking to get attention  :-(

BladeDancer

• Not quite a lurker
  • It's hard to be a filler
« Reply #132 on: 18 Feb 2008, 00:24 »

I think OCD tends to be a trait of intelligent to highly intelligent people. I've observed this in a lot of people. Smart kids do really weird things. I don't consider myself OCD as such, though. I just have my superstitions.

Me, I have issues stepping on cracks because it causes an imbalance in the feelings between my two feet, so I have to step on another to even it out, and so on. When I was little I used to get into pattern fits if I accidently pressed my face to hard, and then had to balance it out, and then had to balance out the "well, that side was first last time so this side is first this time" kind of thing...

I also have to do things in odd numbers, because they seem more balanced that way. I mean, they have the lever in the middle on which to balance, as opposed to empty space. But it even goes out to candy and bubble gum and stuff. Odd numbers are comforting.

But sometimes I purposely deny myself, just to prove I can. So there. *grins*

On a similar note, I was watching Monk last night. Man, that show is excellent.
That was almost scary. The thing about being balanced, with the feelings in the feet? (Or hands, or face, or whatever) I used to have that all the time. Still sometimes, but not so much. Too much feeling in one, needs balenced, but the other foot's feeling is older, blah blah blah. It balances out with time.
I agree, odd numbers are better (again, I like the balance) but even has never bugged me, cause I can still fold it over and have symmetry.
When I work on homework at the kitchen table, I sit at the long side, and I move the chair to the middle, and the second chair behind me so I can concentrate. One behind, one chair on each side. I love symmetry. I totally know what you are talking about here. All done now!

BladeDancer

• Not quite a lurker
  • It's hard to be a filler
« Reply #133 on: 18 Feb 2008, 11:51 »

Golly, this is really interesting!
It sure is!

I am glad that those of you with OCD have been open enough to share your stories, I have found it interesting.

That said, I also agree with Near Lurker. Most of us don't have OCD. We are complex human beings and all have our odd quirks.

However, when quirks become obsessions is when it turns into a mental health issue.

I would also like to know if people who have OCD with a particular thing (counting in thes example) actually like doing the behavior as a job. I would think that if you have an obsession that you are trying to get over, then you wouldn't enjoy doing that obsession as a job. This is all theoretical though and just my mind pondering. I don't think that Jeph should have done it differently, because the fact that she is OCD about counting and has a job counting is entertaining.

Oh, and Hannelore is my absolute favorite character.  I am filled with glee everytime Jeph puts up a strip with Hanners in it.  If there ever was a QC spinoff, I'd love to see a storyline with Hannelore as the main protaganist.  I might have a seizure due to overwhelming levels of awesome, though.

I love Hanners too, although she would have to be a bit more developed for a spinoff storyline to be created for me to be interested.

As with all obsessions/addictions they are only "bad" when they affect your life in a negative way. If obsessively counting stairs as you climb them interferes with your life then you have a problem. If obsessively counting stairs does not interfere with your life then it's just a quirky part of you.

It's a good thing I'm not OCD about spelling because I can't spell worth beans. :)

I agree on 3 accounts. I used to count stairs (even were better) and it didn't disrupt me at all, so I didn't worry about it. Hanners is only awesome because she only appears sometimes. If she was in every comic, she wouldn't be as fun. I can't spell to save my life. Really, spell checker is my best friend. However, I am pretty good about typos.

Darcy

« Reply #134 on: 23 Feb 2008, 22:26 »

Does anyone else have a need to feel balanced, whether you have OCD or just an odd tendency? That's my main problem, though it really doesn't bother me. It's just little things like having to shut both doors of a cabinet or fridge at the same time. Or, I have to make sure my feet walk the same way. If one foot skids across the ground or slips, I have to do the same with the other foot. If one foot touches the ground toe first instead of heel first, I have to touch the ground toe-first with the other foot. It especially applies to cracks, where if my heel touches a crack, I have to touch the next crack with the heel of my other foot, but if I touch the crack with a different part of my foot, then I have to touch it with the other part on the first foot. And it goes on. Extremely confusing, but I do that most of the time. If I'm focused on something, I usually don't pay attention to the cracks or my feet, and I don't go back to correct how I step if I get to where I'm going, so it doesn't take up extra time. It's just kind of odd.

Oh, and if I turn in a circle, I have to turn back around the other way. Like when going up multiple flights of stairs, you're eventually turning in circles, so I turn the other way around after finishing a flight of stairs. Or when getting into a car, if sitting down would cause a circle, I'd have to turn around, and THEN sit down. Does that make sense to people? This is the only time that people actually notice anything, actually.

But, it doesn't bother me at all, and they don't take up any time. So it's really not a disorder because it doesn't actually cause any problems or anxiety. All it does is make me feel unbalanced or awkward for a couple of minutes, or until something grabs my attention. They're just very weird tendencies I have, and I've heard that they're a common compulsion for people who seriously have OCD. In the end, I'd rather keep my odd ways of doing these things, hahah. For those of you who seriously have a disorder, good luck to you.

Hey, I do those same things, too. I taught myself some weird ways of sleeping when I was a kid, and now I can't change them. No matter how hot it is, I REQUIRE having a blanket covering me, and my feet MUST be entirely covered. Otherwise I get that same "someone is going to kill me in my sleep" thing. Uncovered feet = death? Hahah. Kind of weird.

I have the same thing with my feet. I was laughed at by my friends so much in high school for that. We took a trip to New York and we walked everywhere. Soo many sidewalk cracks. Or if my hand brushes against a wall, the same part of my hand has to touch the wall again. Everything has to be in even numbers for me. Except in some cases (I haven't been able to tell which cases yet) I can settle on 3 or multiples of 3.

And the circles. Ever since I was about 5 or 6 I always felt like there was a string attached to my back and I couldn't wind it around myself without feeling utterly dreadful about it. I would obsess so much about it. It still do it today, but I hate drawing attention to myself by spinning in circles, so I tend to tense up and kinda of shiver or twitch. The shiver/twitch actually happens whenever I can't make something "feel right." Sometimes it's overwhelming and I'll just sit there, randomly closing my eyes as hard as possible, slight open, immediate close, then shiver. It's really weird. And obnoxious.

I can't sleep if anything below my waist is uncovered or if my back is turned towards the closer edge of the bed. Closet doors have to be shut. And no mirrors can be visible.

Oh, and symmetry. I like to doodle randomly, but every design I don't end up throwing out has to be able to fold over at some point and be identical.

I bite my nails too. If there's any bit of growth, I'll find it and get rid of it. I've done that for as long as I can remember.

*I have crazy thoughts about what it would feel like to stab myself with a knife. Never really felt compelled to do it, but I imagine what the pain would feel like. Sometimes I can almost feel it.

I've been there too. I've actually cut myself before (don't begin lecturing), but not for any over dramatic teenage "I derserve it!!11!" reason. I wanted to know what it felt like. It was equivalent to a cat scratch, but it was killing me to not know what it felt like.

I've never been diagnosed with anything, but then again, my parents still believe I've been putting on an act for my entire life, so I've never been to a therapist or anything.

I'm kinda twitchy right now, so typing is rather difficult. I'll leave my problems at that for now.  :-P

frullic

• Furry furrier
  • Warning: Contents under parental pressure.
    • An Adventurer is Me!
« Reply #135 on: 25 Feb 2008, 20:23 »

I don't really have OCD but I thought I might as well share my quirks since this is the place.

I constantly make sure my computer is configured the way I like.example: I get angry when someone merely changes my screen alingment. I also hate getting liquids in contact with my skin, I'm agorafobic, I'm always stretching, and I stress all the time. I also have that zit compulsion. I'm trying to stop that.

BTW, Hanners is so cute but I prefer bipolar brunettes, says the scar on my arm.
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Muppet King

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #136 on: 29 Feb 2008, 19:16 »

This probably wasn't the best thread for a hypochondriac to read.  I have never been diagnosed with OCD, and I don't personally believe I have it.  However, I do have some rather nagging issues with some things in my life.

When showering I have to do everything in a precise order and rhythm.  If I don't then I have to step out of the shower, dry off, and then redo everything in the proper order.  If the water pressure isn't strong enough I have to shower until I feel I'm clean enough.  If I go a day without showering because I'm sick, I have to do everything twice to get the second layer of dirt and germs off.

If I mispronounce a word I have to repronounce it correctly several times, putting emphasis on the part I mispronounced initially.

If I see anyone crack their knuckles I have to do it too.

I have to balance everything in my life, even my bad habits.  When I chew on my lip I have to do it in a number ending in zero or five and once I'm done on one side I have to do the same on the other side.
Yes, as a matter of fact, we'll probably use algebra like mad today!

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #137 on: 29 Feb 2008, 22:24 »

If I see anyone crack their knuckles I have to do it too.

Back in high school I broke my wrist jumping over a bush (yes, all teenaged males are retarded.  Period).  Now, if I move my hand right it goes clickclickclickclick.  If I ever have to stop you taking over the world, I know how.  Mwa ha ha ha ha ha!

About Hanners' smoking.  Any of you ever heard of David Sedaris?  He's a humorist with OCD.  Every once in a while he feels the compulsive need to touch something.  Then he will very, very carefully do so.  In one of his books he describes his mother and elementary school teacher bonding over his oddities, describing him with his tongue between his teeth, inching his finger forward until it touches a book.  Or taking his shoe off and touching the heel to his forehead.  Or touching someone on the back of the head.

In college, Sedaris discovered the joy of cigarettes.  Not only is nicotine addictive, but cigarettes defused his OCD.  Whenever he felt a compulsion he'd just light up and ahhhhhh.... no more compulsion.  Plane rides became torturous for him because... imagine you're sitting in 14f and you just have to touch the back of the head of the fat guy sitting in front and to your left... and you know the only way you're not going to be in an incredibly mortifying situation is if you light up... but you CAN'T because you're on an AIRPLANE.

So I can understand Hanners smoking.  It totally chills her out.

JoeMoron2000

« Reply #138 on: 29 Feb 2008, 23:13 »

I have a symmetrical form of OCD, not the cleaning form...
When I do things, they need to be even.  It's not that it has to be, but it nags me until I make them even.  For example, I've hit the spacebar like 50 times with my left thumb so far this post, and I need to press the spacebar that many times with my right thumb in order to feel right.  Whenever I touch something with one hand, I try and have the same part of my other hand touch something else.
When I scratch my itchy beard-thing, I have to scratch on both sides simultaneously and symmetrically or else I slowly start twitching.
When walking home from school, I try to take exactly 2 steps on every square -- 1 with my left foot, 1 with my right foot.  I try never to step on the lines between them, but if I do, I have to do the same with the other foot.
I always thought I was just insane (well...more insane than I actually am) until I read this thread.  I'm not alone!

Alphalpha

« Reply #139 on: 01 Mar 2008, 04:37 »

I guess everyone has obsessive (or compulsive) quirks. One of my friends, once reaching the bottom of a glass, will refuese to drink the last bit. She doesn't even know why, she just finds it, for want of a better word, icky.

Myself, I'm nowhere near OCD either, but I do have a slight thing with symettry, particularly with my jaw or my arms. My top and bottom teeth don't quite fit together at the back which really annoys me, and if I notice a particularly thick hair on my arm I have to pull it out because it doesn't look right. I also like to line up things with straight sides against the side of the table. Sometimes I'll do it with glasses too, using my finger as a kind of T-square to make sure it's right up against the edge.

Book series and DVD boxsets in particular have to be in the right order, although I like to alphabetise individual things too. Recently I alphabetised my DVD collection for the first time and it felt great, hehe.

I also have a thing about the toilet. If I'm going on a journey of half an hour or more I pretty much always have to go to the toilet beforehand, because there's no toilets in a car or a bus, and what if I have to go while we're driving? It's almost the same with trains - they do have toilets on them but what if I'm in there and I miss my stop?

I'm not really a clean-freak but I do like the kitchen to be in order. I have to stack up plates and saucepans etc. next to the sink if they've been used then left. Also the kitchen cupboard in our house will invariably end up how I like it because it just looks messy to me otherwise.

See what I mean. Everyone has quirks.

In other news: Hanners is really cool. I'm not really up on the ins and outs of OCD but by all accounts Jeph has a provided in Hanners a pretty realistic OCD character.

JoeMoron2000

« Reply #140 on: 01 Mar 2008, 13:10 »

I was thinking about this last night after I went to bed.  One of my cats stepped on my leg to sleep on my bed (and it turns out, between my knees...wow), and I could feel the same place in my other leg just begging to be stepped on.  It was very...disturbing...

Irewild

« Reply #141 on: 04 Mar 2008, 15:57 »

This is a great topic to make my first post in! I really like Hanners, I relate to her because I have mild OCD, and her symptoms are amusing to me because they're real enough to be believable but just exaggerated enough to still be funny. Bravo, Jeph!

Anyway, my little ticks are that if I touch something with one hand, I have to touch it with the other hand because I can put it down or walk away from it. I constantly look at the clock in an attempt to make small math problems out of the numbers by adding signs, parentheses, negatives, or other things like. I'm even making a list. And lastly I can't walk on uneven planes (like slopes, or up/down hills, etc) without getting dizzy and wanting to sit down.

littlelove

• Plantmonster
« Reply #142 on: 07 Mar 2008, 22:24 »

I am not sure if I am OCD, and I think a lot of people label themselves as such just because it's "cool". Nevertheless, each night before I go to bed, all cupboards and drawers must be shut to their tightest capacity. I can't sleep if I have not touched each cupboard or drawer. I also must check my lock before and after I turn out my light at night.

...now that I type it out it really just seems like a routing to me.

Bowie

• Plantmonster
  • Member of DNA (National Dyslexia Association)
« Reply #143 on: 09 Mar 2008, 17:53 »

I've got the same thing as Darcy/Joe who posted here. Everything's got to be even. If I crack my knuckles twice on one hand, has to be the same on the other hand. If I step twice, once with my right and once with my left foot, on a block of cement, I have to do it on the next one exactly the same way. Then it changes from the cement to something else and I get thrown off.

It's become less pronounced recently, or maybe I've just stopped noticing it and it's become normal to me, and to everyone else I look ridiculous doing the piano-tapping thing with my hands.

JoeMoron2000

« Reply #144 on: 09 Mar 2008, 20:21 »

Back when I used to play Yugioh, I used to play with those little duel mat things, and I always used to try and get the cards to line up perfectly with the outlines :lol:

Darcy

« Reply #145 on: 09 Mar 2008, 23:58 »

Back when I used to play Yugioh, I used to play with those little duel mat things, and I always used to try and get the cards to line up perfectly with the outlines :lol:

Anything like that bugs the hell out of me. I can NEVER make it perfect, no matter how much patience I have.

Bowie

• Plantmonster
  • Member of DNA (National Dyslexia Association)
« Reply #146 on: 11 Mar 2008, 16:18 »

Yeah, whenever I play any game where cards are put on the table, like poker or go fish, they have to be in perfect piles all the time. Hard to do on carpet.
I never did understand Yugioh. They kept releasing the 'ultimate card,' and then a month later there would be a new 'ultimate' card and the old 'ultimate' card wouldn't be special anymore.

JoeMoron2000

« Reply #147 on: 11 Mar 2008, 17:57 »

:lol: It was always a weird game.  I just love my deck because it has THE best card in it I could possibly want.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #148 on: 11 Mar 2008, 21:42 »

Might want to point out that I have been diagnosed with OCD.

So...yeah.  Still not too keen on the whole "psychiatry" thing.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Amaroq

« Reply #149 on: 12 Mar 2008, 12:35 »

Good psychiatry is enlisting somebody else to help you with something that you're struggling with.

It doesn't have to be all confrontational and negative, and you're under no obligation to see somebody a second time if you don't feel a connection or rapport with them.

My first therapist took a swing and a miss: I told her I'd just had a heart attack, was on a bunch of new meds, and was feeling depressed, which is not an uncommon post-cardiac-event experience.

"Great, so... tell me about your childhood. Were your parents home a lot? ..."

I'm kinda looking at her like .. "You have got to be kidding me. This isn't childhood trauma, I promise."

I didn't have to go back; I didn't go back.

My second therapist explained it as "Look, you're paying me to help you with whatever it is that you tell me is 'a problem' for you." 

Incidentally, he was a psychiatrist with an MD as well as his PhD, not an LMFT. The depression, unsurprisingly, turned out to be a side-effect reaction to one of the cardiac drugs I was on, combined with the sudden face-to-face with mortality and some other things going on in my personal life at the time. Getting off the drug, and dealing with the mortality question got me to a point where I could be productive about the other issues instead of depressed about them.

So, not too related to OCD, but it was a neat example of bad therapy, good therapy, and the fact that the patient is in control, which too often is forgotten in our modern mental image of psychiatry.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up