THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 05:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod elitism has a new reason  (Read 4121 times)

Laurie

iPod elitism has a new reason
« on: 02 Jan 2006, 22:49 »

Before I get lynched for the heading, I think iPods are nifty toys, and handy... I just enjoy teasing the people who become absorbed in them, to the extent that normal conversation is impossible.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/ptech/01/02/ipod.designer.honor.reut/index.html">I can just picture the Queen rocking out.

eagle14

« Reply #1 on: 03 Jan 2006, 02:50 »

royal moshpit! anyone?

Kid Modernist

« Reply #2 on: 03 Jan 2006, 02:53 »

Bueller?

Laurie

« Reply #3 on: 03 Jan 2006, 12:00 »

So, I'd totally have to fly to England, but you can bet I'd be there.

I visited Jolly Ol' a couple years ago, and my most expensive souvenir was a ten-pound note from the ATM that has Charles Darwin on one side (hmph. And we get "In God We Trust") and on the other side, the Queen Mum was wearing glasses, smoking a joint, and had a goatee, with "FUCKIN ANARCHY!" written underneath.

It finally becomes clear.

Man, if I were on money, I'd totally go around defacing my own image.

AdamIsConceited

« Reply #4 on: 03 Jan 2006, 12:38 »

He created the Ibook... so I'm glad he got props.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #5 on: 03 Jan 2006, 18:53 »

OK whats the real diff between generation 3 and generation 4 ipods?  I am now totally gay for Ipods and pretty much *will* have one in 4 months or *will* commit suicide.  But I dont really know the diff between all the various newish ones, I've kinda avoided info on Ipods because it just makes not owning one harder to bear.

Also, whats the deal with photo and video Ipods, where do they fit into the spectrum.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #6 on: 03 Jan 2006, 19:15 »

3rd generation has the buttons above the touch wheel.  The buttons also have red/orange backlights.  My friend has a 3rd generation, he loves it, but I can never get the hang of the buttons because you don't push them, you just touch them.

I have a 4th generation 20gb color screen, and I like it.  4th gen and upward have the buttons under the touch wheel.  Even though the buttons aren't backlit it's easy to use them in the dark because you can remember where they are by touch.  The buttons are click, not just touch, so I find it easier to use.

Photos (like mine) are basically 4th gen with color screens and photo storage capability (jpeg,gif,tiff,png).  Videos are 5th gen.  They have wider screens and are shaped somewhat differently than the 3rd and 4th gen iPods.  Videos are also SUPER-THIN.

stevethepirate

« Reply #7 on: 03 Jan 2006, 19:35 »

I don't like ipods, or just apple in general, and I don't care who knows it. I'm all for the little guys, and apple isn't little anymore. Plus, they don't have all the features I would need for an MP3 player.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #8 on: 03 Jan 2006, 20:20 »

Ok my roommate has a 20gig 4th gen then.  I thought it was 3rd gen because the firmware was 3.0somethingsomething.  It has no buttons, just the wheel and a colour screen.  

Im thinking, Ipod photo is totally unnecessary, just a step along the path of Ipod to Ipod Video, so looks like Im in the market for a 4th gen, at least 20 gig :)
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: 03 Jan 2006, 22:22 »

Mention must be made of the video to Motorheads cover of God Save the Queen, in which a look-alike of the Queen does, indeed, get in the pit, and headbutts a skin, if my memory serves me well.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

La Creme

« Reply #10 on: 03 Jan 2006, 23:20 »

Whole new meaning for the term "a royal ass kicking".

Also, iPods are fucking amazing. Quite bitching about them being sucky because they're trendy. Who fucking cares? They're good mp3 players, despite being slightly unreliable, and they are goddam classy.

Laurie

« Reply #11 on: 04 Jan 2006, 11:20 »

Quote from: La Creme
Quite bitching about them being sucky because they're trendy.

Hunh? The only person even coming close to that was Steve, who said that he preferred to support the little guy-- and he followed up with an honest criticism of the iPod, which is that it doesn't have all the features he would need. No need to get vicious.

As for me, I don't find it necessary to have music playing during the four-minute walk between classes, and when I'm in my room, I have my laptop. Even in my car, I spent $40 and it's now rigged up to play my laptop music through the radio. Considerably cheaper than an iPod, and I have enough space for over 11 gigs of music, as well as everything else that comes with a laptop, and a larger screen.

I'd say I have myself an excellent MP3 player, and it's pretty darn classy, too.

Jude

« Reply #12 on: 04 Jan 2006, 12:11 »

She should have given them a Royal Appointment instead. I'd love to see that little symbol on the backs of the cases. 'Producers of mp3 gadgetry for Her Majesty The Queen'.
Pages: [1]   Go Up