THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 49   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ask Jeph thread  (Read 1174371 times)

Dienur

Re: The Ask Jeph thread
« Reply #1400 on: 03 Nov 2008, 22:45 »

I was looking through your merchandise section and...

Ever thought of selling hats?

$keith

« Reply #1401 on: 04 Nov 2008, 11:56 »

Gays do have the same rights as everybody: life, liberty, protection from search and seizure, free speech...  I can respect a political opinion, but what does banning gay marriage have to do with rights?   :roll:

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #1402 on: 04 Nov 2008, 14:05 »

wat.
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #1403 on: 04 Nov 2008, 15:36 »

Gays do have the same rights as everybody: life, liberty, protection from search and seizure, free speech...  I can respect a political opinion, but what does banning gay marriage have to do with rights?   :roll:

Marriage in this country is a right, because the ability to get married is given to some people and not given to others. This is, how you kids say, bullshit.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1404 on: 04 Nov 2008, 19:48 »

Ooh, hats!

Would you sell a Worry Hat?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

$keith

« Reply #1405 on: 05 Nov 2008, 09:21 »

Marriage in this country is a right, because the ability to get married is given to some people and not given to others. This is, how you kids say, bullshit.

Nobody is saying gays can't get married.  It's just that if they marry each other, it's not marriage, by definition.

...And before anybody starts playing the "homophobe" card, no, I'm not.  I'm friends with several gays.  I'm actually going out to sushi with some gay friends this weekend.
« Last Edit: 05 Nov 2008, 09:27 by $keith »

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1406 on: 05 Nov 2008, 14:24 »

Your definition of marriage is rather outdated. Yes, I realize that at some point in history "marriage" meant "partnership between a man and a woman" but at some point in history it was also socially acceptable to sell young children into sexual slavery.

I'm not shying away from that fallacy because essentially, your only point is discredited by the given that ideas change with the times.
« Last Edit: 05 Nov 2008, 14:57 by Ballard »

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #1407 on: 05 Nov 2008, 14:25 »

Then redefine marriage.

By its current definition it shouldn't even be legally binding anyway, as it is a union through the church and thus violates separation of church and state.

*edit*
And what Ballard said
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1408 on: 05 Nov 2008, 14:58 »

Jens how awful of a pedant would you have to be to pursue this line of reasoning based solely on a definition and not because you actually take issue?

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1409 on: 05 Nov 2008, 15:21 »

I mean the closest I've ever seen to that is people who are against marriage in general. I know a few couples the members of whom have been screwed over by spouses in the past or have experienced other shitty situations like that and are, as a result, against official marriage of any form. The thing is, these people, for the most part, only care about their own lives and, aside from some cynicism expressed at other peoples' happiness, have no reason to care.

LeCorndog

« Reply #1410 on: 05 Nov 2008, 18:43 »

As much as I appreciate this conversation, and am a huge OPPONENT of Proposition 8, could you guys please take this conversation elsewhere?
This thread is to ask Jeph questions.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1411 on: 05 Nov 2008, 19:02 »

You're not really amongst enemies here. Aside from a few new people who have sprung up through the cracks in this thread and others, this forum as a whole is wholeheartedly against Prop 8.

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct
« Reply #1412 on: 05 Nov 2008, 20:25 »

Whoa whoa whoa whoa stops feeding the troll guys.
boldly going nowhere

MartinLovesPintsize

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1413 on: 06 Nov 2008, 00:36 »

I have two questions and they are about the prop 8 thing. Since election is over, and you said you wouldn't discuss politics any more, I would understand if you didn't answer my questions.

1. Is there a particular reason you feel so passionately about your No position on Prop 8?

2. Weren't you afraid you public reaction to prop 8 would alienate some of your readers?  I mean you reacted pretty strongly about it. I have always though this comic and website did a good job of staying out of politics.  I mean anyone who voted or would have voted yes, now may think of your strong position against it. They may even stop reading.  I figured thats why you tried to stay out of politics for the most part on this website. Don't get me wrong I voted No, (I live in California) But if this was my comic I would have kept it to myself so I wouldn't effect the way my comic is viewed.

I really really don't mean anything mean spirited with these questions. I just found your reaction intriguing or interesting or something like that.     

$keith

« Reply #1414 on: 06 Nov 2008, 08:04 »

Yeah, I should have kept my mouth shut. Hehe.

Totally didn't mean to troll.  I've been reading this forum and the comic for quite a while.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1415 on: 06 Nov 2008, 22:34 »

i guess it's a bit weird but....... is it toooooo weird if i think i'm in love with Faye????

...oh and also, ur comic is just way too fucking addictive
Are your intentions honorable? Somewhere in the archives you can find Jeph talking about how the female characters feel like his "little sisters".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1416 on: 07 Nov 2008, 12:01 »

i guess it's a bit weird but....... is it toooooo weird if i think i'm in love with Faye????

...oh and also, ur comic is just way too fucking addictive
Are your intentions honorable? Somewhere in the archives you can find Jeph talking about how the female characters feel like his "little sisters".

WHY DO CONVERSATIONS LIKE THIS EXIST

erikotaku

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1417 on: 08 Nov 2008, 08:35 »

not to continue this tangent, but i've never been able to ask this question anywhere in a timely fashion (and who knows if I will get a response ^^ ).  I dont perticularly have a strong belief either way on the subject.

I've heard a lot of talk of Civil unions, although I am not sure of the details per state.  I have heard suggested situations where civil unions would be given, and would carry with them all of the same priviledges under the law as a marriage.  Now while this scenario seems to be perfectly acceptable to those who oppose gay marriage, it still seems to be completely rejected by the homosexual community.  Am I missing something there? Given that it would give all of the same inherited rights, the only difference at that point is the wording, which seems to me would be a nice compromise.  Anyone?

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1418 on: 08 Nov 2008, 12:40 »

I guess you could say that those gays and lesbians who might be against civil unions instead of marriage see it as kind of a 'Backhander' or a sop for straight people.

You know "Welllllll ..... We really can't allow you to have a true marriage, but here, here's a nice little ceremony we've come up with for you.  It's kinda like a marriage, but sorta isn't - Ya know?"
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1419 on: 08 Nov 2008, 12:42 »

I guess you could say that those gays and lesbians who might be against civil unions instead of marriage see it as kind of a 'Backhander' or a sop for straight people.

You know "Welllllll ..... We really can't allow you to have a true marriage, but here, here's a nice little ceremony we've come up with for you.  It's kinda like a marriage, but sorta isn't - Ya know?"

My guess is they feel kinda insulted by the condicending nature of it.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1420 on: 08 Nov 2008, 13:03 »

I've seen no sign of that in the UK, where the recently introduced Civil Partnership is often referred to as marriage.  I was "best man" (and the only male allowed to be present) at the ceremony for two female friends only a few weeks after it was introduced.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

tragic_pizza

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Board Certified Curmudgeon
« Reply #1421 on: 08 Nov 2008, 21:18 »

The argument I've heard against civil unions is that it isn't the same as marriage. Apparently the tax breaks aren't the same, or something.
[21:19] andy: Mai, I am sorry, I am going to say this outright that I would doeverything in my power to try and have sweet girl love with you.

LeCorndog

« Reply #1422 on: 10 Nov 2008, 22:39 »

So...ASK JEPH THREAD?
OKAY.

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #1423 on: 12 Nov 2008, 14:46 »

Jeph, thank you for introducing me to uStream.   Do you plan to do any more live drawings like that again?

avra

« Reply #1424 on: 12 Nov 2008, 21:28 »

Hey Jeph,
Just wanted you to know your comic is awesome.   I was sitting around extremely bored during christmas break last year and my boyfriend (who reads a ton of webcomics) gave me a few links, one of them being questionable content.  So far, qc is the only comic that i have started reading and kept on reading.  no other one holds my interest long enough for me to get through the archives.  When I started reading qc, anytime i got online, I was trying to read as much as possible.  Now I eagerly await your updates in the late evenings. 

So yeah, you are amazing because you have kept my interest.  I love QC.  I love the characters. I love the art.  Its all very well done.  You are great!

My only request for you is for more Pintsize.  He has to be my favorite character, the crazy stuff he does is very funny.

saige

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #1425 on: 13 Nov 2008, 05:45 »

hey Jeph, this is not really a question, but it's a follow-up on my last question about the links disappearing - thanks for updating your links panel, and thanks for putting my other frequently-checked comics the top 4! You've got some pretty cool internet friends.

Also, I love that Anders <3 Maria made it on there - i started reading that ever since Rene's guest strip.

XFDDave

« Reply #1426 on: 16 Nov 2008, 23:37 »

Jeph, will you please make a new version of the cast poster? I'll give you money! (I'll buy two of em)

Obaten

• Not quite a lurker
    • http://halomapscouk.proboards50.com/
« Reply #1427 on: 17 Nov 2008, 18:55 »

Jeph, are you going to get Left 4 Dead?
Be nice to the newbie?

vgaer

• Plantmonster
  • The puppy dog eyes will only get you so far...
« Reply #1428 on: 17 Nov 2008, 19:55 »

To continue in the 'ASKING JEPH THINGS' vein: Jeph, do you like people randomly starting annoying arguments in your questions thread?

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture
« Reply #1429 on: 17 Nov 2008, 20:04 »

How do you feel about The Fruit That Ate It Self?

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #1430 on: 17 Nov 2008, 20:05 »

Jeph, what was the thematic issue you had today that you mentioned?

Quote from: twitter
aaaaaaugh, just had to scrap
tuesday's comic because of
thematic issues. fuck.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1431 on: 17 Nov 2008, 21:48 »

Jeph,

The internal monologue strips (impressive, BTW!) invite the question, why so few thought bubbles and looks at internal state most of the time?

If it's been a conscious creative choice, what are the reasons that have gone into it?

Or is it simpler than that, and your characters are so outspoken that there's seldom any need to show what's going on inside?

Or is it simpler yet, and you just write what's in your head, and questions like this are irritating overanalysis?

[I searched the archives for "thought bubble" and "thought balloon". Forgive me if this has come up before.]
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

guyy

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1432 on: 17 Nov 2008, 22:43 »

Apparently no one has thought to just ask this instead of examining the entire archive to figure it out, so:

About how long, in the QC-universe, has this comic been going on? Weeks? Months? Years?

Also, hi, everyone; and here's to another glorious excuse for my total lack of productivity!

Somethingfake

• Emoticontraindication
  • I want to inherit your eyebrows...
    • http://somethingfake.deviantart.com/
« Reply #1433 on: 17 Nov 2008, 23:34 »

Apparently no one has thought to just ask this instead of examining the entire archive to figure it out, so:

About how long, in the QC-universe, has this comic been going on? Weeks? Months? Years?

Also, hi, everyone; and here's to another glorious excuse for my total lack of productivity!

It's been thought of many times and asked just as much.

Jeph, are you ever going to re-start your drawing blog or at least put up some sketches on your current LJ?
Quote from: Jeph
Snoopy lives in a fantasy world. Gromit is a dog who gets things done. Gromit would destroy Snoopy.

guyy

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1434 on: 17 Nov 2008, 23:57 »

It's been thought of many times and asked just as much.

Well...then, what's the answer? Or does no one know?

Also, even if it's been answered before, the answer could be different now, for obvious reasons.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2008, 00:02 by guyy »

allison

• Bling blang blong blung
  • i really want a mustache
« Reply #1435 on: 18 Nov 2008, 05:21 »

http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,21689.0.html

Here's a thread called "Comic timeline", located just seven lines down from this particular thread in the same sub-forum.
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

taliendo

« Reply #1436 on: 18 Nov 2008, 12:49 »

First time poster here. . .

Just had to make a comment that panel 3 in today's comic (11/18/08) is fan-fucking-tabulous, and would probably make a great poster to hang on my wall.

*hint *hint.

Thanks.  :)

Tybalt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Can't always unscramble eggs
« Reply #1437 on: 18 Nov 2008, 13:04 »

Hey Jeph,

shut up!

Your pal,
Tybalt.
...and that's why I eat bugs.

lily-kiernan

« Reply #1438 on: 22 Nov 2008, 00:40 »

I mean the closest I've ever seen to that is people who are against marriage in general. I know a few couples the members of whom have been screwed over by spouses in the past or have experienced other shitty situations like that and are, as a result, against official marriage of any form. The thing is, these people, for the most part, only care about their own lives and, aside from some cynicism expressed at other peoples' happiness, have no reason to care.

But what about commonlaw marriages? Gays and lesbians can't be entered into those (as far as hospital visitation rights and taxes go), so...

YARG. This is an intriguing discussion, but it needs to be moved to a new thread. BADLY.

And saying "I have gay friends" is like trying to excuse yourself for making a black joke. Unless you ARE of the demographic you are dissing, just don't go there. Unless it comes to twilight fans... they DESERVE it. ;)

dreamaboutme

« Reply #1439 on: 22 Nov 2008, 03:52 »

Is the vespa avenger based off of vespa girl from flcl in anyway? They both hit people with their vespas and have similar styles/colorings.

Skofo

« Reply #1440 on: 22 Nov 2008, 16:21 »

Dear Jeff,

Why do you insist on spending many thousands of dollars on the bleeding-edge versions of Photoshop (a tool that only has functions that GIMP doesn't that are pretty much only required by artists that do professional magazine/print work) and super-advanced graphics tablets for a simplistic comic? Wouldn't a $30 tablet and GIMP work just as well?

Yours truly,
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2008, 20:50 by Skofo »

-Karamazov-

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #1441 on: 22 Nov 2008, 20:01 »

Because GIMP is like someone decided to take photoshop and make it ugly, hard to use, and half as useful.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1442 on: 22 Nov 2008, 20:03 »

And free.

Skofo

« Reply #1443 on: 22 Nov 2008, 20:54 »

Because GIMP is like someone decided to take photoshop and make it ugly, hard to use, and half as useful.
I was just making a suggestion with that. From what I understand, Jeff had an older version of Photoshop, which would probably be perfectly fine for most people making a comic like this. I'm asking Jeff why he thinks that spending so much money to buy/upgrade Photoshop and to buy the most expensive graphics tablets out there for a simply-drawn comic is worthwhile.

P.S. I'm not advocating that people shouldn't spend their hard-earned money on things they enjoy doing. But do more professional and expensive things make you enjoy on hobbies(/jobs) like drawing more?
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2008, 20:58 by Skofo »

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1444 on: 23 Nov 2008, 04:10 »

But do more professional and expensive things make you enjoy on hobbies(/jobs) like drawing more?

Yes.  It's math.  More money == more fun.

GenericName

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #1445 on: 23 Nov 2008, 07:23 »

Hey Skofo I'm not seeing where you're getting the idea that the comic is simple. Sure, Jeph isn't drawing photorealism, but that doesn't mean it's easy to do. And if he wants to use the best of the best so his job is the easiest, and he can afford it, more power to him. If you go back and read the newsposts for specific days on which he got upgrades (or I'm thinking specifically quite a few newsposts and twitters from after he got his Cintiq), it seems to me like he really enjoys these upgrades and they make the comic easier and more fun. Of course I can't speak for him but this is just the impression I've gotten.
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

Nausciaa

« Reply #1446 on: 25 Nov 2008, 05:55 »

Yo! Quick question, who does the vocals on Deathmole's "Unicorn Remains"?

If anyone else knows the answer to this, feel free to reply.

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #1447 on: 25 Nov 2008, 11:04 »

Wouldn't a $30 tablet and GIMP work just as well?

No.

There's no way drawing on a tiny $30 no-name tablet will be anywhere near as nice as using a pressure sensitive 20" touchscreen.

GiMP is the biggest piece of unusable crap I've ever had the displeasure to work with. It's a perfect example of design by committee: there are menu bars and tool pallets everywhere with no attempt at organization. If you want a good free paint program on Windows, look at Paint.NET.

BrilliantEraser

• The German Chancellory building
  • We're kings among runaways
    • Brilliant Eraser Productions
« Reply #1448 on: 25 Nov 2008, 18:36 »

Wouldn't a $30 tablet and GIMP work just as well?

No.

There's no way drawing on a tiny $30 no-name tablet will be anywhere near as nice as using a pressure sensitive 20" touchscreen.

GiMP is the biggest piece of unusable crap I've ever had the displeasure to work with. It's a perfect example of design by committee: there are menu bars and tool pallets everywhere with no attempt at organization. If you want a good free paint program on Windows, look at Paint.NET.

Seconded on all counts. I have used both a cheap, no-name tablet and a more expensive Wacom Bamboo. Which do I choose? The Wacom, hands down. Is it worth costing almost three times as much as the no-name tablet?

Hells. Yes.
Quote from: Khar
*bloop bloop bloop*

Tybalt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Can't always unscramble eggs
« Reply #1449 on: 26 Nov 2008, 09:52 »

Well, not necessarily so.  I had bought a $150 tablet that had broken within a month or two.

The point is:  Do your research.
...and that's why I eat bugs.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 49   Go Up