THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ask Jeph thread  (Read 1174318 times)

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
Re: The Ask Jeph thread
« Reply #2350 on: 24 Jun 2010, 14:37 »

"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Tokumoto

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #2351 on: 29 Jul 2010, 02:37 »

Where is pintsize!!!!

We want a robot world domination movement!

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #2352 on: 29 Jul 2010, 13:36 »

He is probably being punished for misbehaving
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #2353 on: 29 Jul 2010, 15:58 »

Where is pintsize!!!!

We want a robot world domination movement!

Well, you got a bowel movement instead. 

Close enough...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Threk

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #2354 on: 30 Jul 2010, 22:31 »

Hey Jeph,

Did you know that your interview with Katherine Curtis is now up on Youtube?

Despite being on Youtube it's probably NSFW

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #2355 on: 02 Aug 2010, 02:05 »

I'm disappointed that, despite the expectations raised by the studio link, the actual interview was not conducted in the nude.

(By the interviewer, that is. I'm OK with Jeph keeping his clothes on!)
"We are the weirdos, Mister!" -Fairuza Balk, The Craft

Threk

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #2356 on: 02 Aug 2010, 06:52 »

Although Kat often does interviews in the nude (Look for her Kevin Smith interview), when she's covering a con it's kinda hard to arrange.
« Last Edit: 02 Aug 2010, 07:10 by Threk »

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #2357 on: 15 Aug 2010, 00:22 »

Hey Jeph,

Did you know that your interview with Katherine Curtis is now up on Youtube?

Despite being on Youtube it's probably NSFW

those tiny black boxes don't leave that much to the imagination
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #2358 on: 15 Aug 2010, 06:57 »

Wow I really wish that she was more attractive.

EDIT: one of her favorite comics is Least I Could Do. words fail me.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #2359 on: 15 Aug 2010, 11:41 »

Interesting that one of the strips they include in the first montage is a guest spot. Although, I gotta admit, there's one or two guest spots that are among my favorites, too ('Gotherella,' 'Steve trapped in Closet').

The camera angle they use also makes me remember (I think it was Gina Biggs) talking about the fact that when she met the 'Giants of Webcomics,' of which Jeph was one, at a convention, she didn't know the term was literal. Apparently, she's on the petite side of stature.

You're a tall dude, Jeph. So maybe a shot of scotch added to an antibiotic regimen won't discombobulate you.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Bearer

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • The Corgi Commands Awesome
« Reply #2360 on: 22 Aug 2010, 22:17 »

Is Jeph aware of the follwing YouTube videos?  What does he think of them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ0KGPwHzOE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_FjU7I59kI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8UnPXvnkYo

In regards to that last one there, my bad guys.  Blame my old high school's video production club.
Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

Threk

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #2361 on: 22 Aug 2010, 22:28 »

The camera angle they use also makes me remember (I think it was Gina Biggs) talking about the fact that when she met the 'Giants of Webcomics,' of which Jeph was one, at a convention, she didn't know the term was literal. Apparently, she's on the petite side of stature.

I assume you mean Gina Biggs is not especially tall.

Kat is 6'0" which is pretty tall. It was almost comical when she worked with Valentina Taylor who is about a foot shorter.

How tall is Jeph? Judging by the clip I'd guess 6'3"ish.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #2362 on: 30 Aug 2010, 23:53 »

Dear Jeph,

Big ups on playing Worker Bee towards the end of your UStream tonight. They're super rad dudes and are from my hometown, and live they're loud as all FUCK. (This is also partly because of the three of four times I have seen them play it was at a house show.)

Their newer stuff is a lot less Mogwai/EITS-esque but a lot more rhythmic, sort of almost like americana Clinic. Still highly recommendable.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #2363 on: 02 Sep 2010, 15:13 »

Dear Jeph

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=9

Wondering if you plan on using this kind of "This is what I'm thinking while I say this" kind of thing to this degree again. I'm not suggesting that you implement it immediately, or at every possible opportunity. But it was a good idea and I haven't seen it since, well, strip 9.

Eddie 88

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Piano reference, not Hitler reference.
« Reply #2364 on: 07 Sep 2010, 02:43 »

In terms of artwork, how did you go from this to this?

I ask because I'm a writer who's always wanted to be able to draw. If I really busted my ass in Photoshop, I think I might be able to pull off something at least half as good as the earliest QC art style, but I can't imagine ever producing anything anyone would want to look at. I mean yeah, you've been at it for seven years of drawing and practicing constantly to get to where you are now, but...do you think someone with no artistic talent can learn to draw well? Or is it inborn, something you can't learn? If it isn't inborn, how can one go about improving? Pff, hell, for that matter, starting.
There! Now no one will forget how I live, or my attitude regarding butt.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #2365 on: 07 Sep 2010, 03:23 »

In terms of artwork, how did you go from this to this?

By drawing four panels a day, five days a week, fifty weeks a year, for seven years!

Motherfucker has a PhD. in QC by now.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #2366 on: 07 Sep 2010, 11:28 »

do you think someone with no artistic talent can learn to draw well? Or is it inborn, something you can't learn? If it isn't inborn, how can one go about improving? Pff, hell, for that matter, starting.

Jeph answered this one here on his Tumblr. In paragraph #10 he says "Drawing is a SKILL, not a TALENT. It can be learned by virtually anybody with the patience and will to do it."
"We are the weirdos, Mister!" -Fairuza Balk, The Craft

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2367 on: 07 Sep 2010, 22:51 »

Jeph, do you think we should all be loaded on the Golgafrincham Ark Ship B?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #2368 on: 07 Sep 2010, 23:26 »

The chatters in the ustream should probably be in ship C...

:-D

edwinalink

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Likes Glitter and 4x4's
« Reply #2369 on: 17 Sep 2010, 02:55 »

do you think someone with no artistic talent can learn to draw well? Or is it inborn, something you can't learn? If it isn't inborn, how can one go about improving? Pff, hell, for that matter, starting.

Jeph answered this one here on his Tumblr. In paragraph #10 he says "Drawing is a SKILL, not a TALENT. It can be learned by virtually anybody with the patience and will to do it."

I'm a better artist (Albeit an infinitely slower one) that Jeph, and I have to say I agree. people tell me "I wish I could draw like you" and I tell them "I did to! once!"

Just freakin' WORK ON IT.

jordinyc

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #2370 on: 29 Sep 2010, 22:34 »

I'm only asking here because this might be a very NON technical question.

Is the QC chat server down, or did I cross a line somewhere that I shouldn't have? I know one guy was banned for using the N word. I sure as heck hope I haven't crossed such a line myself. I generally try not to, and when I come close I always consider who my actions effect.

jordinyc

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #2371 on: 30 Sep 2010, 03:43 »

Well that answers THAT question :? :-(

All I could find on the ustream page was a FAQ which said if the moderator banned me it's up to him/her to undo. If this has happened, I come with hat in hand. If not, do you (or anyone) know who I might be able to talk to?

Rusty

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #2372 on: 01 Oct 2010, 08:27 »

Jeph,

what would it take to recieve an ackbar wiht my order?  8-)

Gurren Lagann Sex Drive

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #2373 on: 20 Oct 2010, 09:12 »

question followed by analysis
are male characters harder to write for and about?

Alot of descriptions of your comic that are online say that the comic focuses on Marten but i have notice that a great majority of the comics focus primarily on faye and the other female supporting cast. Now this is generally to be expected because the female cast basically outnumbers the male cast (persianXspartan style). so yeah i was wondering if writing male characters is harder for you. I know that I have a much easier time writing stories centered around female protagonists.

the resason i ask you this is because i have also noticed a drop (or a rise in this case) in martens character depth, actually i find the the character(s) who have the most depth of character (characters that have complicated personalities) are surprisingly Sven and Pintsize.

which is actually not that surprising given how close to the issues they are with the rest of the cast. Pintsize constantly harasses the female cast as well as the male cast at every opportunity which results in a variety of retorts and comments from other characters this only further developes their relationship with him no matter how incredibly awkward it is. Sven on the other hand is a issues of controversy with the female cast but also as asavior to the female cast. Sven should technically be credited with unlocking Fayes character potential by transcending her personal boundries (and/or) barriers. Sven also hurt her in the end which forced her to take a route that made her strong.

i love this comic very much i read at every chance i get but i feel as if marten has inexplicably lost his girl-anxieties and now just goes with the flow serving as the mediator and soother of issues i would very much like to see his character potential rather than let it stagnate
Me vs Rulez
0 - 1

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #2374 on: 20 Oct 2010, 09:32 »

Sven should technically be credited with unlocking Fayes character potential by transcending her personal boundries (and/or) barriers. Sven also hurt her in the end which forced her to take a route that made her strong.
Jeez.
I think you may have missed the part where Marten should be credited for unlocking Faye's empathy potential, which has made her empathic.
I mean, JEEZ. It's not as if Faye was having any strength issues pre-Sven. It took a guy with the below-the-radar tempered-steel-type resolve like Marten to get her up to, and beyond, dealing with Sven.

I mean, JEEZ! Faye was on the verge of being a train wreck before Marten.

Seriously, there is more to Marten than you may think. EVERYONE thinks he's a pushover. But he's the architect of the entire social circle that is QC.
Quote from: Is it cold in here?:
Some things are most easily explained by the hypothesis that it's just a fictional comedy with things exaggerated for comic effect. However, this explanation is too boring for us to accept it just because it's true.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2375 on: 20 Oct 2010, 17:41 »

Without Marten this entire comic falls.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Irenfrea

• Emoticontraindication
    • The Eye of the Beholder
« Reply #2376 on: 20 Oct 2010, 21:50 »

Dear Jeph,

I noticed a couple of references to argentinian culture through the comics, not that you are mentioning it everyday but I remember Cosette telling Steve to go to an argentinian food place, and some days ago you mentioned yerba mate. Probably there's more but I can't really remember about it.

I noticed it since I'm argentinian and I found it somewhat surprising to hear about argentinian stuff on your comics more than once, is it because you have an argentinian friend, or is it popular where you live?

Gurren Lagann Sex Drive

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #2377 on: 20 Oct 2010, 22:44 »

Without Marten this entire comic falls.

we as fans know a crap load about faye but not much is known about marten comparatively speaking
i mean she has PROBLEMS
but marten's problems only register a simple "Meh"
his life is......very mellow at least thats what it seems like to me
however everyone else has all these wierd issues

so my question seems pretty valid to me
does writing for male characters come at a greater difficulty than writing for your female cast?
Me vs Rulez
0 - 1

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #2378 on: 20 Oct 2010, 22:58 »

It's not the question that bothered me... it was the analysis that raised an eyebrow.

While we may not know a lot about Marten's issues, we know a great deal about his character. Maybe he just dealt with his issues better.
Quote from: Is it cold in here?:
Some things are most easily explained by the hypothesis that it's just a fictional comedy with things exaggerated for comic effect. However, this explanation is too boring for us to accept it just because it's true.

philharmonic

• Furry furrier
« Reply #2379 on: 21 Oct 2010, 09:47 »

Dear Jeph,
I recently purchased an iPhone 4 and am very pleased that it displays the comic really well. Anyway If you where to create another Antho PC based on it what would you name him (or her) ? ? ?

Also would you consider posting pictures of appropriate size that could be downloaded to a iPhone and used as wallpaper on it like Winslow's face (posted meaning either here or on your twitter twat or flickr) ? ? ?

ok i'll go back to lurking now
*was getting tired of that slug*

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #2380 on: 21 Oct 2010, 11:44 »

It may be necessary to post questions on formspring.me/jephjacques instead. There's been no announcement, but Jeph's been absent from this thread for a long time.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

mbtshoes2011

« Reply #2381 on: 22 Oct 2010, 00:07 »

Fortunately I was too big for the jocks to give me a hard time, and they all thought I carried knives in my backpack or something. I did a lot of art and music, pretty much like I do today. I was friends with all the weird nerdy dudes, several of whom I believe to be genuine geniuses.

Gurren Lagann Sex Drive

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #2382 on: 01 Nov 2010, 19:32 »

is it me or does the hedge look like its inside the cafe and not outside?
todays comic : 1786 tai_squadron42
Me vs Rulez
0 - 1

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2383 on: 01 Nov 2010, 23:57 »

As I wrote only yesterday...
Does anyone else find it odd that the bushes are INSIDE the window in the the first panel?

The plant's been inside since Dora got it; it's called Melvin.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #2384 on: 02 Nov 2010, 07:41 »

I'm only asking here because this might be a very NON technical question.

Is the QC chat server down, or did I cross a line somewhere that I shouldn't have?

Sorry to get to this so late. My account here wasn't activated until quite recently...

Anyway. I had a similar problem to yours. I used to be able to go watch Jeph's show on ustream (and follow the chat). Then suddenly I couldn't. I did connect this with the fact that at about the same time I had upgraded my Firefox from version 3.1.* to 3.6.* I googled for more info, and it turned out that:
  • Mozilla gang had made some fundamental changes to the way plug-ins run in version 3.6.*. Their motivation was to prevent a plug-in crash from crashing all of Firefox.
  • Several similar complaints were seen at a ustream forum. Some were suspecting flash, some were suspecting Firefox.

I first tried downgrading Adobe Flash player, but that didn't help with Jeph's ustream, but (IIRC) did allow me to see some other live webcam broadcast from ustream. Then I installed Firefox 3.5.* => the problem disappeared.

I don't claim to understand what was happening. If you think that my explanation might match with your symptoms, go ahead and try Firefox 3.5. I do recommend that you try that before you rake your brain for clues of any non-PC past behavior.

If my post is totally unrelated to your problem, I apologize for the waste of bandwidth.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

RabTales

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #2385 on: 03 Nov 2010, 17:41 »

Jeff I was wondering if you could take a look at my new short story website www.rabtales.co.uk and if you enjoy it link to it on questionable content. I am currently running a series named 'I Feel Fine' set at the end of the world- "As time runs out a pair of lovers run, a very angry man chases the truth and a million different people spend their last day on earth in their own individual ways." I have been a long time reader of QC and think that the episodic character based styles of both short stories and webcomics can attract the same audience. I would encourage any QC content fans to have a look and see if they enjoy the site  :psyduck: (i just wanted to use that emoticon)

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #2386 on: 04 Nov 2010, 02:56 »

You could always buy an ad on the site through Project Wonderful.  Although I think QC is one of the more expensive sites...

RabTales

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #2387 on: 05 Nov 2010, 19:43 »

Unfortunately I have a budget of zero so buying an advert is not really an option  :-P I have confidence tho that the stories are worth reading and so will attract some attention.
« Last Edit: 05 Nov 2010, 20:07 by RabTales »

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #2388 on: 08 Nov 2010, 02:38 »

1. You spelled Jeph's name wrong. No excuse for that, man, it's ALL OVER HIS SITE. I mean look at the thread title that he himself wrote when he himself started the thread that you are posting in.
2. I don't know where else you've been able to completely shamelessly plug your work and people have found it acceptable but it's a pretty major faux pas 'round these parts. I can't remember if it's against the rules or not but it is one of those things that will get you not very far around here.
3. Try to make it less obvious that you've only barely skimmed the content of the main page and the forums before you pull another shameless plug maneuver. Your use of ambiguous terms like "character based" and "episodic" makes my point pretty difficult to defend against, and saying "I'm a long time reader" does nothing to convince me otherwise.
4. If you can't afford to advertise here, advertise where you CAN afford to. Maybe you won't attract all the cool kids immediately, but Rome wasn't built in a day. Jeph can tell you that, he has worked his ass off from day one. He networked, he researched, he built, he created, and he persevered like a true pioneer. And frankly it offends me that there's people out there who would cheapen the worth of his hard work by asking for a damn handout. That alone is enough to make me not interested. Build your own thing instead of trying to hop aboard someone else's gravy train.

I really do wish I could write this in a less rude and frank way. And I do wish you success. But jeez, man, why you gotta do a thing?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2389 on: 08 Nov 2010, 02:43 »

Also, if you head for the forum called Comics and Drawings, you will find the thread that Jeph started for this very purpose!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Insectile

• Plantmonster
« Reply #2390 on: 08 Nov 2010, 16:57 »

Hey Jeph,

This might have been asked but,

How do you like the San Diego Comic-Con, has does it compare to other cons that you are a part of?
This is not a discussion forum, it's a forum dedicated to the art of performing textual fellatio of Jeph Jacques.

mactoplac

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #2391 on: 11 Nov 2010, 07:19 »

Um, hey Mr. Jeph. 

So if I were to record Hermione and Ginny vs. the Space Wizzards, would you listen to it?  (Link streams)

http://soundcloud.com/stoferin/spacewizzards

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1793

Wasteroo

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • RMB RMB RMB RMB
    • my music
« Reply #2392 on: 11 Nov 2010, 11:15 »

haha, that was actually pretty good!
I have a huge hillbilly boner for banjos

GroupieLady

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
The Ask Jeph thread
« Reply #2393 on: 12 Nov 2010, 21:02 »

Hello!!!
1) Will you ever write out Tais fanfic the Quidditch Field Idyll series?

2) You seem to enjoy adding Yuri to QC. Are you a Yuri fan?

3) When you go a murder'n would you scoop out one of you're many victims brain and leave a note in the skull that read "To Alyssa." (after you dedicate a few to you're amazing wife of course.)

You are rad.

flamingo

• Plantmonster
« Reply #2394 on: 15 Nov 2010, 17:12 »

Is Jimbo secretly gay? Cuz that'd be cool as fuck.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #2395 on: 15 Nov 2010, 19:49 »

He is actually transgender
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #2396 on: 15 Nov 2010, 22:20 »

That would explain a lot. 

Especially the cheesey 'stache. 

GroupieLady

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #2397 on: 15 Nov 2010, 23:21 »

Naw, O'Jimbos gotta be Bi! I can jsu see him saying "I got love for all yalls!"

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2398 on: 15 Nov 2010, 23:29 »

To quote Sally Field from that motion picture epic of the 1970's, Smokey And The Bandit:

"Bo? Did you expect this? I mean, all of this?"

"No, no I did not."
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Gurren Lagann Sex Drive

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #2399 on: 23 Nov 2010, 09:07 »

Um, hey Mr. Jeph. 

So if I were to record Hermione and Ginny vs. the Space Wizzards, would you listen to it?  (Link streams)

http://soundcloud.com/stoferin/spacewizzards

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1793

THIS IS AWESOME WORTHY OF CAPS
Me vs Rulez
0 - 1
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49   Go Up