THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 19:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Im working on this sketch and...  (Read 12413 times)

ComfortEagle

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Im working on this sketch and...
« on: 29 Jan 2006, 12:31 »

Im going to start over, do to my dislike of the body's angle/wierd torso, but I would like some comments and critiques before i start over, hints anyone?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/patbert/File0002.jpg

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2006, 14:55 »

i think that your imagination/style is awesome, but that you need to practice your linework.  unless they start out incredibly disciplined, there comes a time in every illustrator's life where they have to work on practicing their lines, with an aim to making them more fluid and less scratchy.  ie: make them look like all one line, instead of a line made up of many little lines.

for most people it's about confidence & practice.  if this image is indicative of your style then it looks like you've got some interesting things in your head that you want to draw, so i'd definitely encourage you to practice and become more confident.  i'd love to see what else you can do!

ComfortEagle

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2006, 21:38 »

Thanks, thats actually helpful and added to my list of goals.

Any more suggestions?

ComfortEagle

« Reply #3 on: 01 Feb 2006, 18:35 »

This board is slow, and i still would like some sugestions.

Duchess Tapioca

• Larger than most fish
    • Somebody wrote something about me on the internet!
« Reply #4 on: 05 Feb 2006, 03:34 »

I really really like the details on his/her face.

You said you were unhappy with the torso part, and I am not an artist at all, so if you do not like what I suggest, remember it is from someone with no authority.

I do not really like the torso either, I think you need the same level of detail on the torso as the face. It is nice that since it is blank, the heart stands out more, but you could have the same stand-outyness by making the rest of him gray and maybe coloring the heart and eyes a really bright color. (All noir-ish, ya know?)

If it is supposed to be a robot, make him less curvy, add little buttons and joints and things and add bands around his wrists and define all the bendy parts with  little mechanical thingies that would make him move. Like little knobs and pistons and screws. A belt at least. Robbie from Forbidden Planet without the michelin man look. If he is a person, just give him interesting clothes and some gloves.

Also I do not understand his right arm.

Add a background, he looks like he is falling off the top of a really tall building and waving. I think you should give him a parachute and draw that... Unless he is being super emo. Or whatever the background was supposed to be. Make sure he stands out from the background though, all dramatic-like. (Shade him really light and and background really dark or vice-versa.)

lifelesseyes

« Reply #5 on: 05 Feb 2006, 23:10 »

The thing about the torso that confuses me is what exactly the detail on the stomach? is trying to convey. I sorta get the pinched in look, but I'm still confused to what I'm looking at.

Am I being helpful at all?

I think some commentary on what you were trying to convey might be helpful for others trying to help.

ComfortEagle

« Reply #6 on: 06 Feb 2006, 16:46 »

Im not sure, it was just one of those random things that people come up with some times. No real intended direction.
I was kinda thinking some robotic organism thing... the picture made me think ofa scientist. eaither way, Im going to keep working on it.

nEmoGrinder

« Reply #7 on: 07 Feb 2006, 07:06 »

my suggestion relates to est's line work.  Totally true.

here's what I did to get over this:

do an undersketch with a pencil you can pretty much not see (I use a 5H) and then go over with a jet black ebony pencil.  it will give you nice values (for a mid range pencil down to...well as dark as you like) BUT be warned, it is an unforgiving pencil.  It WILL force you to smooth your lines, but the overall image will turn out that much nicer.  just a tip!

I love the face, especially the antennae things!

nEmo
Pages: [1]   Go Up