THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 04:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bootlegs.  (Read 4727 times)

Iwan

Bootlegs.
« on: 10 Jan 2006, 09:59 »

No idea if anyone started this but seems like a good idea.

How do you feel about bootlegs?
Would pay for bootlegs?
Do you have any bootlegs? If so, name some of your favourites or your most recent bootleg...

Maybe if this hits off, we can share bootlegs or something... Just an idea...

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
Bootlegs.
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2006, 12:38 »

I got a bootleg from the arcade fire show I was at. It's fairly good.

ASturge

Bootlegs.
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2006, 13:07 »

I have live Decemberists and Neutral Milk Hotel bootlegs!

Some are crap, some are awesome.

ayePod

Bootlegs.
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2006, 13:13 »

I have an Arcade Fire bootleg,an Idlewild bootleg and I am trying to obtain a bootleg from the Idlewild christmas show,it was so awesome.

iamlost

Bootlegs.
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2006, 14:09 »

Where do you get your bootlegs from?  The closest things i have to bootlegs are 3 Pixies live cds.  1 of a concert i went to a free one i was given and another one i bought late at night on ebay when i was bored.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Bootlegs.
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2006, 14:12 »

The way I see it, no way in hell would I pay for a bootleg. I'd consider stealing one from the rack of a bootleg shop.

You're stealing money from the artist, why should I fucking pay you anything, mate?

However, saying that, I'd rather there not be bootlegs at all.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

sketchyjoe

• Balloon animal serial killer
Bootlegs.
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2006, 15:11 »

I have quite a few Bob Dylan and Dead Kennedys bootlegs and some other random stuff.

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree.php is pretty good for live stuff.
Limber limp with a dry martini

Until....

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Bootlegs.
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2006, 15:16 »

The way I see it, bootlegs aren't really "stealing money from the artist" because usually they're not a substitute for anything.  Somebody who goes to the trouble of finding a bootleg album is almost certainly somebody who loves the artist in question, and will also buy all of their official recordings.  If that person also wants to get a bootleg of a show that the artist otherwise has no intention of releasing recordings of, what's the harm?  Buying a bootleg of an Arcade Fire concert seems to me to be a hugely different matter from buying a pirated copy of Funeral.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Bootlegs.
« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2006, 19:17 »

My favourite bootleg is Current 93, Sol Invictus and Death in June live in Frankfurt. Apart from that I have the obligatory Mayhem 'Dawn of the Black Hearts' bootleg, Type O Negative live at Myrtle Beach, a pretty bad quality Twisted Sister bootleg and several Death in June and Sol Invictus albums that began as bootlegs before World Serpent issued them properly. (Which is what eventually happened to Live in Frankfurt, which was released as 'Day of the Dawn' I think). Apart from that I also have a few individual bootlegged tracks of silly live covers, such as Type O Negative performing The Beatles 'Back in the USSR' and The Sisters of Mercy performing Hawkwind's 'Silver Machine' and Pink Floyd's 'Comfortably Numb'.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

kate_kate

Bootlegs.
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan 2006, 20:00 »

i have lots of Our Lady Peace boots

<3

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
Bootlegs.
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jan 2006, 21:23 »

Quote from: kate_kate
i have lots of Our Lady Peace boots

<3

That's too bad

Iwan

Bootlegs.
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2006, 01:10 »

Quote from: iamlost
Where do you get your bootlegs from?  The closest things i have to bootlegs are 3 Pixies live cds.  1 of a concert i went to a free one i was given and another one i bought late at night on ebay when i was bored.

1. Keeping my eyes open and checking ads. Also ebay is a good place for boothunting.
2. Downloading. Bittorrent and IRC are pretty good resources.
This site http://bootleg.freakin.nl is pretty good too. Not all bootlegs are in MP3-format (SHN and FLAC are pretty popular too) but with the right plugins, it shouldn' be any problem.

I don't have a problem with bootlegs. If you're a fan of a band that has got a solid live reputation, then sure why not?

My boots? Mostly downloaded. The only bootlegs I've bought were two of Metallica.

Latest bootlegs; Elliot Smith and "Abortion the other white meat" by The Mars Volta (very special because the band just jammed for 40 minutes because they couldn't get a setlist together).

I've got Mayhem too but I can't listen to it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up