THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 04:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amazing Local Bands.  (Read 3449 times)

TheoristB

• Larger than most fish
    • http://www.ohnonarecords.com
Amazing Local Bands.
« on: 08 Jan 2006, 03:13 »

I am sure there have been threads about this in the past, but name some amzing Local Acts from your area, and why they are amazing.  Spread the word and all that jazz.

Anywho, I am from Chicago/Dekalb, IL

Troubled Hubble - All around one of the best live bands I have ever seen.  They also have my favorite bass player ever.  Andrew lanthrum, if you love melodic bass playing he is pretty much the king of it.  They sound kinda like built to spill and modest mouse smooshed together with some D Plan and Neutral Milk Hotel.  If that makes any sense.  They broke up.  It still makes me kinda sad.  I have seen them more than any other band.  

Mt. St. Helens.  - Chicago based band who I went to highschool with.  They are pretty much amazing.  Dark broodking indie rock with lots of reverb and crazy chords.  Catchy melodies and a really tight rhythm section.

Surround Sound -  They are still in highschool, but just finished one of the greatest power pop albums ever.  Imagine Eliot Smith mixed with Superdrag.   The strength of the songwriting and melodies blows me away from a 17 year old.

The Gunshy - He used to be Lancaster, PA based but he moved to Chicago latst year.  Dark introspective lyrics sung in an even huskier and more smoke damaged voice than tom waits.   The songs are sometimes pretty, sometimes harsh, but always interesting and just plain good.  He is usualy one dude, but he is playing some shows as a full band... one at Schubas Tavern in Chicago with Get him eat him and THis is me smiling.

Colossal - frigging amazing.  Awesome guitar work, crazy songs with two drummers.  They are kinda like a more agressive American Football.  The primary drummer used to be in Slapstick and their secondary drummer is in the lawrence arms.  They rock... alot... while being really catchy and pretty.

THose are the big locals for me.  Check them out.  Share yours.
You Smarmy Bastard.

ratatat

Amazing Local Bands.
« Reply #1 on: 08 Jan 2006, 09:08 »

some pretty cool smallish bands from australia:

butterfingers: live hiphop/rock hybrid, which is much better than it sounds. really fucking catchy tracks, and manage to fit phrases like 'I didn't even kiss her but she still let me fist her' and 'everytime I fuck your mum she wants it in the bum/and everytime I'm done it's not because I've come' in seamlessly.

the presets: two dude making sexy dirty electro. kinda like cut copy but horny. awesome live shows, they get as many people on stage as possible at the end, despite the efforts of security.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
Amazing Local Bands.
« Reply #2 on: 08 Jan 2006, 12:17 »

Isn't that being a little bit too wide though? I guess Butterfingers are from Ipswich though, which means I can claim them as "local" for me.

I guess there are two really good local bands at the moment that I'm in love with

The Kidney Thieves: Local funk/jazz/hip-hop/everything fusion group doing an excellent job of just throwing everything at the wall and making it stick. These guys have an energy I just can't get over.

Arcane: Prog Metal band, great guys, with a sound that has some obvious influences, but still manages to seperate themselves from the scum of the Brisbane metal-scene by being extremely talented musicians, and by keeping their live show full of vigour and gusto.

I guess theres a few more, but I have to go to work.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Amazing Local Bands.
« Reply #3 on: 08 Jan 2006, 12:21 »

The Three Businessmen - Frank Zappa if he grew up in Kansas and owned a record store.

Finding Waldo - THis is actually my cousin's band. They're badass, although technically not local; they're in St. Louis, but still.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Mikendher

Amazing Local Bands.
« Reply #4 on: 08 Jan 2006, 12:26 »

Apollo Sunshine - what a crazy group. playing bass/guitar/keyboard with your face? i think so!

Iwan

Amazing Local Bands.
« Reply #5 on: 08 Jan 2006, 12:47 »

From Belgium; The Killbots. Heavy rock 'n' roll. Great live band (played about  every stage in their area). Recorded an album but no company seems interested.
Pages: [1]   Go Up