THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Indie music recommendations  (Read 7260 times)

AaronB

Indie music recommendations
« on: 09 Jan 2006, 17:21 »

Hey everyone. I'm new here, I just started reading Questionable Content a few days ago and I'm almost finished all of the strips already, it's great.

Anyways, I don't really know much about indie music, and all the references to it from the QC comic has got me interested. So can anyone tell me the best indie bands that I need to hear? The indie bands that all indie rockers know. I want to see if I'd like that kind of music. Thanks.

StarMinion1

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jan 2006, 18:15 »

Well, Jeph has a Recomended Listening page here, as well as his Top 20 Records of 2005 here.

I'm a poser, so I wouldn't really know.  :)

(Also, check out the Hi, I'm New thread and say "Hi")

Spartan Pho3nix

« Reply #2 on: 09 Jan 2006, 18:19 »

We can talk the old school classics, say, such as
Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Pixies - Doolittle
MBV - Loveless

or we can discuss good new music. What were you thinking?

TheoristB

• Larger than most fish
    • http://www.ohnonarecords.com
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2006, 02:18 »

Seconding the list above and adding on...

Modest Mouse
Built to Spill
Neutrall Milk Hotel
Dismemberment Plan
the Promise Ring
Fugazi
Elliot Smith
Mountain Goats

All fantastic
You Smarmy Bastard.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2006, 03:21 »

I'm not sure if these guys are getting too big to be cool to talk about yet, but you really need to listen to every Decemberists album ever, starting with Castaways and Cut-Outs.

Can't go wrong with Ted Leo & The Pharmacists either.

rive gauche

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2006, 08:21 »

You can't even front on Ted Leo & The Pharmacists. Those guys mean business.

AaronB

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2006, 08:44 »

Hey, thanks alot everyone. I'm starting to listen to all of those bands mentioned, I'm listening to songs from Sonic Youth, Modest Mouse, and Built to Spill and some others. I'm looking through Jeph's list right now and I'm going to check out some of the stuff he recommends. Thanks again.

AaronB

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2006, 18:45 »

Another question. Can I get specific songs to listen to from the bands mentioned? I've just been listening to random songs from the bands mentioned here and I might not be listening to some of the better tracks. For example, from Modest Mouse I listened to 3rd planet and Alone down there. I liked both of those songs alot, but then there are some other bands I listened to a couple songs that I didn't like. So, yeah. Recommendations for specific songs please?

AaronB

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2006, 19:04 »

Also, the bands I'm looking to hear good songs from that I didn't listen to yet are Built to Spill, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Arcade Fire (from Jeph's RL, he gave an album but I don't know any songs) American Analog Set, and Pavement. So any of your favorite songs from any of those bands would be appreciated. Thanks for your help everyone.

practicality

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2006, 19:32 »

I'd suggest Rebellion (Lies) and Crown of Love from Arcade Fire.

Mr. Nul

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2006, 13:24 »

Hey, just joined up meself to respond.

Neutral Milk Hotel songs:
King of Carrot Flowers (Part 1), In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, Oh Comely, Wood Guitar

Also, if you haven't heard Elliott Smith yet, let me spoil you:
King's Crossing, Pictures Of Me, Fond Farewell, Speed Trials, Don't Go Down

If you liked Arcade Fire, check out Wolf Parade:
You Are A Runner And I Am My Father's Son, Dear Sons And Daughters Of Hungry Ghosts, Grounds For Divorce

And three suggestions of me own: Final Fantasy, Ninja High School, and Why?
FF:
None Of You Will Ever See A Penny, Took You Two Years To Win My Heart

Ninja High School:
Jam Band Death Cult, By Purpose Not By Plan, It's All Right To Fight, Invasion Party

Why?
Gemini (Birthday Song), Sanddollars, Rubber Traits

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2006, 21:57 »

If you get any Neutral Milk Hotel "Oh, Comely" has to be on the list. That's like, up there with Newton's laws of gravity. It's just how it goes. You must hear that song.

Anyway, Decemberists songs:

Here I Dreamt I Was An Architect, The Legionnaire's Lament, The Engine Driver, Eli The Barrow Boy, The Soldiering Life, We Both Go Down Together, Odalisque

just recent personal favourites. Also I found it really hard to pick individual songs from "Her Majesty" because honestly I love the whole CD so much, so check out other random tracks from that too. :)

I'll let someone else do Ted Leo since I'm only really familiar with the one CD.

ozphactor

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2006, 22:09 »

Quote from: Mr. Nul
Neutral Milk Hotel songs:
King of Carrot Flowers (Part 1), In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, Oh Comely, Wood Guitar

Quote from: Spinless
No way! Two Headedboy, holland 1945 and Ghost for Neutral Milk Hotel.

How about the whole freakin' album. Seriously.

Quote from: amok
Anyway, Decemberists songs:

Here I Dreamt I Was An Architect, The Legionnaire's Lament, The Engine Driver, Eli The Barrow Boy, The Soldiering Life, We Both Go Down Together, Odalisque.

The Mariner's Revenge Song. Because pirates are awesome. Lest we forget.

Micolithe

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2006, 22:45 »

No, if you get any Neutral Milk Hotel that's not on Aeroplane, you have to get Little Birds. The most depressing song in existance and the best stanza about gay buttsex in a song ever.

ozphactor

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #14 on: 13 Jan 2006, 23:14 »

A song about gay buttsex cannot be the depressing. This is a fact.

Micolithe

« Reply #15 on: 13 Jan 2006, 23:37 »

Quote from: ozphactor
A song about gay buttsex cannot be the depressing. This is a fact.
It's still depressing if the next stanza is about beating someone's brains in because they're gay.

mooface

« Reply #16 on: 13 Jan 2006, 23:39 »

QFT.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #17 on: 16 Jan 2006, 00:06 »

Quite true. I was going for musical awesosity as opposed to lyrical/storytelling greatness, but really, there's no excuse for not listening to this song at some point. :)

Tartar Martyr

« Reply #18 on: 16 Jan 2006, 00:39 »

Quote from: AaronB
Also, the bands I'm looking to hear good songs from that I didn't listen to yet are Built to Spill, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Arcade Fire (from Jeph's RL, he gave an album but I don't know any songs) American Analog Set, and Pavement. So any of your favorite songs from any of those bands would be appreciated. Thanks for your help everyone.

With Pavement you have to start with "Summer Babe" first song on the first album, first "popular song".

After that I would suggest Perfume-V because it is one of my favorite Pavement songs, and Fame Throwa because it is fun to sing along with in the car.

Really though, just listen to all of Slanted and Enchanted, it is only 40 minutes long or something.

If you buy S&E and Crooked Rain: Crooked Rain you will have a pretty good idea of what they are about (get the re-issues though, nothing wrong with the originals but the re-issues feature tons of awesome new stuff).

Some of the other bands that pop up from time to time, Slint, Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine even Mogwai (if you are planning on listening to young team, which you should since it is by far their best album) you may want to get into slowly though... they aren't poppy and can be difficult to get into if you don't prepare yourself properly.  Not that you should be coached into liking music, but I would hate to see someone turned off of such a great (and poorly named) genre as indie rock because the first thing they listened to was "The Diamond Sea" by Sonic Youth or something like that.

Pavement is a good place to start though.  As far as I am concerned, they are one of the best bands ever after you factor in all of the off stage quirks.

Spartan Pho3nix

« Reply #19 on: 16 Jan 2006, 18:51 »

You need to listen to more than just some songs by each band.

If you want to get into Mogwai, listen to the new album, Mr. beast. Instantly acessible, not boring, etc.

As for pavement, really, just listen to S&E then CR:CR then Brighten the Corners.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
From Malkmus to the 'Gwai
« Reply #20 on: 16 Jan 2006, 19:42 »

Quote from: Tartar Martyr
Quote from: AaronB

With Pavement you have to start with "Summer Babe" first song on the first album, first "popular song".

After that I would suggest Perfume-V because it is one of my favorite Pavement songs, and Fame Throwa because it is fun to sing along with in the car.

Really though, just listen to all of Slanted and Enchanted, it is only 40 minutes long or something.

If you buy S&E and Crooked Rain: Crooked Rain you will have a pretty good idea of what they are about (get the re-issues though, nothing wrong with the originals but the re-issues feature tons of awesome new stuff).

Some of the other bands that pop up from time to time, Slint, Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine even Mogwai (if you are planning on listening to young team, which you should since it is by far their best album) you may want to get into slowly though... they aren't poppy and can be difficult to get into if you don't prepare yourself properly.  Not that you should be coached into liking music, but I would hate to see someone turned off of such a great (and poorly named) genre as indie rock because the first thing they listened to was "The Diamond Sea" by Sonic Youth or something like that.

Pavement is a good place to start though.  As far as I am concerned, they are one of the best bands ever after you factor in all of the off stage quirks.

How about this pathway (the album on parenthesis is what I'd reccomend as a first listen):

Pavement (Slanted and Enchanted)----->Pixies (Doolittle)------>Sonic Youth (Daydream Nation)------>Jesus and Mary Chain(Psychocandy/Honey's dead)------>My Bloody Valentine(Loveless) ------->Mogwai (Young Team/My Father, My King/Mr Beast)

On Mogwai I'd say MFMK is the best representation of their overall sound, however it's just one song, Young Team is the most awesomest one and MR Beast is the most accesible one.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them
Pages: [1]   Go Up