THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 21:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I have not watched a movie in 6 months... is this bad?  (Read 3549 times)

casull

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • LJ

Recently, I've just gotten completely uninterested in watching movies. Even ones that I would probably enjoy, like king kong. The last thing I saw, in theaters or at home, was sin city.

I can't decide whether there's something wrong with me, or what. I've never been able to just sit down and watch a movie. I have to stop every 10 minutes, or eat something, or whatever. A movie, on its own, rarely entertains me. All I really watch any more is the occasional TV show on DVD and a little anime.

I'm weird :(

Discuss.
Say old man, can you play the fiddle?

Bunnyman

I have not watched a movie in 6 months... is this bad?
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jan 2006, 23:34 »

You should really go to a doctor.  This kind of thing is a sign of problems with your pituitary gland...very possibly leading to an aneurysm or somesuch.

Wait, that's sex drive.  My bad.

Alyxz

« Reply #2 on: 09 Jan 2006, 23:42 »

You really should check it out.  Habitual problems like your inability to sit still and allow others to feed your brain could lead to all kinds of debilitating side effects such as: Excersise, unwarranted healthiness, self sufficiency, and in extreme cases even literacy (rare).

Seriously though, (and this is coming from someone who has spent most of his life working in the entertainment industry) if it doesn't interest you, don't watch it.  Turn the television off, and go out and have fun with the money you were going to waste on a movie that wouldn't thrill you.

I've never heard of anyone saying on their deathbed, "God...I wish I'd managed to watch more movies..."

Bunnyman

« Reply #3 on: 09 Jan 2006, 23:47 »

I'm not dead yet.  I do have a 300+ movie queue in Netflix though.  QED.

But, yes.  If it doesn't interest you, there's plenty of other diversions.  Make the world a better place.  Expand your cultural lexicon.  Have some fun, and don't worry about sitting through the dialogue to get to the tits & explosions.

A friend of mine from Washington state dislikes watching movies.  The one he does like is 12 Monkeys, but that's academic.  Usually, he spends his time researching collaborative mechanics, a very interesting and quite possibly fruitful course of study that can and will directly impact the way we structure society.  Time well spent?  I think so.

On the other side of the coin, we have Quentin Tarantino, who spent his formative years smoking pot and watching nearly every movie in existence.  After reshaping the indie aesthetic, he seems to be producing movies like Hostel.

casull

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • LJ
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2006, 00:40 »

Watching all of tarantino's films is one thing I'd still like to do.

Yeah, I pretty much quit watching when I quit enjoying. Who knows.

For the tits, there's literotica, and for the explosions... anime and world of warcraft.

Meh.

There's a long list of books I'd like to read, but I only read them when I'm somehow seperated from the internet. I need to just cancel my internet for a month and become a literate person again.
Say old man, can you play the fiddle?

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2006, 15:45 »

Suddenly losing interest in things you used to like isn't necessarily an unhealthy thing.  Generally its signalling a change in brain chemistry, which could be caused by drugs/medication, perhaps budding depression etc.  That being said, not watching movies in iteself doesn't really mean shit.  It'll suck talking to people in that voiding yourself of popculture references makes for more difficult human interaction, but its nothing major.

I kinda went through this period of 2 or so years of not really watching any TV or listening to much music and missed out on a tonne of stuff, esp since it was my late highchool years.  That there are plenty of times that people are talking about a movie or band that I really didn't know fuck all about.  Or some TV show or whatever,  but all in all, it wasn't really detrimental to anything important.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"
Pages: [1]   Go Up