THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 09:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stupid Avid  (Read 5412 times)

Alyxz

Stupid Avid
« on: 10 Jan 2006, 21:33 »

I need somewhere to Bitch about this and lucky you I picked here!  Yay!

So I'm building a new editing system for my company.  Used to use Mac (most editing systems are mac based) but I had this computer and quite frankly I like it better.  Feel free to have the usual retarded debate over which is better, It's just my opinion.  More user friendly for people whose brains work like mine does.

In any case, the computer was just sitting here.  Mostly being used for web design.  Had plenty of space left though, and since it's also my ipod platform, it's got my whole collection of songs on it, plus the dual monitors/ass kicking graphics card all said: you could turn this beast into an editing system no problemo.

So I do a little research, looks like Avid is the way to go.  Insanely expensive, but not ridiculously stupidly insanely expensive (those who buy lots of system intensive software understand what I mean..."will that be one arm and one leg?  Or will be paying with both legs, one arm, four teeth and a small kangaroo?").

SO I get Avid express pro.  They send the box.  Bear in mind I'm at least smart enough to double check my system to make sure it meets the requirements for avid express pro.  It does.

It does not meet the requirements for pro HD...which isn't really a problem until later in the story.  I open it up, install away, then plug in the 'Dongle.'

This is a good point to stop while you laugh.

Yes I said 'Dongle."  Apparently the folks at Avid, convinced that morons like Microsoft and Adobe made way too much money by making software accessible, decided to instead follow the revolutionary marketing strategy of high prices - no peeking.

So they made the 'dongle.'  A dongle is a small USB device that looks like a flash drive.  You insert it into a USB port.  The software will not work unless the dongle is plugged into the computer.  Sounds simple and fun right?  RIGHT?

So I plug it in and boot up.  "No dongle attached to this computer."

Begin calls to customer service.  (Bear in mind..the date at this point: Dec 28).  It seems I installed it wrong...no problem.  Hang up and reinstall.  Same message.  Restart customer service call marathon.

At this point I should mention that their hold music will drive any rational human being insane within 5 min.  Average length of call: 25 min.

Long story short: today..Jan 10...still not working, I take the afternoon off planning to do nothing all day but get this stupid software to start.  Not learn how to use the insanely complicated new software.  Not practice my skills on the new platform..just make the damn thing start.

Calls begin.

Turns out my "Dongle" was set for HD, not for pro regular...fine.  They send an update to change my dongle.  I vow to kill the next human who uses the word 'Dongle" in front of me.  No luck here.  Calls begin again.

At this point however, I've become familiar enough that the guy actually calls me.  This makes me sad, but at least I got someone on the line.  Apparently you can't change your dongle like that, the update only screwed me up.  Have to install HD.

Where does that leave me?

Let's see...Day 13 of problem.  Square 1 still.  Just had to shell out more cash to upgrade my RAM.  It's possible that my current OS may or may not work with this version (tune in next time to find out that lovely answer).  Oh and...I need to get an updater to turn my dongle back into HD instead of the Pro-but-wont-work-with-pro-so-basically-useless-dongle that it currently is.

And the cherry on top:  I get to take tomorrow of work too so that I can continue to try to (for those who followed along) GET THE DAMN THING TO START!

I haven't even made it to the part where problems usually happen.  I'm still in the stupid "Make it go" phase.

Mac editing systems are looking more and more user friendly by the second.

Mnementh

Stupid Avid
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2006, 21:47 »

I think this fits better here.

Alyxz

Stupid Avid
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2006, 22:25 »

OK by me.  Truth be told it could go in the trash and I wouldn't mind.  It was the release of the "saying it" that I needed, not so much in the "and otheres listened" part.

TheCourtJester

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • OB/GYN/OMG/WTF/BBQ!
Stupid Avid
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2006, 04:05 »

Alyxz, check your inbox. :)
The sad thing about tennis is that no matter how good you get, you'll never be as good as a wall.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Stupid Avid
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2006, 16:29 »

did you actually order it with a HD dongle, or did they send you the wrong one?  i think i know the answer to that i guess.  if it was the latter then i'd have thought that the solution would be easy :(

Alyxz

Stupid Avid
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2006, 20:17 »

Quote from: est
did you actually order it with a HD dongle, or did they send you the wrong one?  i think i know the answer to that i guess.  if it was the latter then i'd have thought that the solution would be easy :(

Well, the real rub here is that at the end of all this I'm certain the solution will have been something easy.   The problem is pinning down which particular easy thing went wrong.  I'm on easy solution number 12 right now.

As for which was ordered, that gets a bit muddy.  Because it would've made the whole world nicer if I'd done the ordering, but I didn't.  I sent in the request up the chain through a company I work for.  I don't know what really happens after that because I've never cared enough to ask, but if I had to guess I'd say probably anywhere between 3 and 4 people passed it on before someone physically ordered it.

The box just says Avid Express Pro (exactly what was asked for) but it contains two different disks: Pro and Pro HD.

Alyxz

Stupid Avid
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2006, 09:12 »

This is killing me.  

Ok, so this time we actually found the correct simple solution.  Turns out the last sales person I spoke to was correct about the problem, though he could've saved me an extra day by actually helping me solve it.  Todays CS guy actually sent me the correct update for the dongle, which worked.

Program runs fine on my system, OS and all.  Just need the RAM upgrade to make it run smooth.

When ordering the RAM I wanted to make extra sure I got the right kind.  So I went to Dell (this computer is a Dell).  I bought this computer directly from the dell website.  I went back to the exact same website.  I entered the part number and case number for this very computer.

With that number the wensite knew exactly what computer I had, how long I've had it, and whats in it.  They listed some recoomended RAM for me.  I ordered it.  This really should be the easiest part of this ordeal.

It arrived today...wrong kind of RAM (and no as I explained to no less that 5 different Dell representatives on the phone, I'm not THAT big of a moron...I know you have to push: the difference is physical and clearly visible to the naked eye, the gap between the pins on the new RAM is off center, my slots require a centered gap)

On the plus side, it only took 5 people (I never knew Dell farmed out their CS..sounded like India, but thats just a guess) and two hours to agree to refund it.

Now to go buy some new RAM...

Alyxz

Stupid Avid
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2006, 20:15 »

I wonder if anyone is still reading this...I sure hope not, for I am officially the dumbest human on the planet.

The RAm was an optical illusion, turned one way the gap looks centered, turn it around and it looks VERY off center...what led to my stupidity was that on the older models the chips were all on one side, and on the new ram the chips were all on the opposite side.

but just to double check if I was really that stupid, I tried turning it around.  Everyhting works.

I feel like an idiot now.  I think I shall hereby ban myself from discussing computers for 1 year.

Look for my insane rantings in Jan 2007.

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Stupid Avid
« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2006, 20:39 »

You put it in backwords?  I'll keep my laughter to myself. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up