THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 06:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Tiny Cities"  (Read 4757 times)

ripvanwormer

"Tiny Cities"
« on: 15 Jan 2006, 19:12 »

I really liked Sun Kil Moon's last album, so I was extremely aroused to see a new one in the store. It made my brain hurt a little, though, that it looked like he might have been covering some Modest Mouse songs (or at least stealing their titles).

Turns out they're all Modest Mouse songs, which blew my mind in a bleh sort of way.

I think this album is hilarious! It's funny like a clown, assuming you've heard the original Modest Mouse versions and you think clowns are funny, and who doesn't? And who hasn't? Also, they're kind of sexy. Especially their noses.

Basically all the quirky Built to Spill stylings of Modest Mouse are sung very sadly, as if all the clowns in the world had died of colon cancer. So he's all, "I'm driiiinking driiiiiinking driiiiinking driiiiinking Cocaaa Cocaaa Colaaaa..." as if that Coca Cola died while whispering delicious nothings into his colon, as if there's nothing sadder and sweeter in the third planet and all its satellites than punching someone in their glasses.

This is pretty extraordinary, I suspect. Themed, tightly focused cover albums are fun.

Of course, compared to "Ghosts of the Great Highway" this album is bunk, but maybe I just think that because I've heard all the lyrics already. I'd probably find "Jesus Christ Is An Only Child" just as blasphemtastic as I originally did if this was the first time I had been made aware of it, even though Mark Kozelek apparently thinks working real hard for Internet cash is the most tragic of all occupations.

Dara

"Tiny Cities"
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2006, 12:44 »

it's interesting, at least.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
"Tiny Cities"
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2006, 13:43 »

I've only heard one song - "Ocean Breathes Salty" - and I really didn't like it. The off-kilter lyrics and phrasing that you find in Modest Mouse songs just sound awkward when done in a folk kind of style.

I loved Ghosts of the Great Highway but I doubt I will be buying Tiny Cities.

Write more songs, Kozelek!

Micolithe

"Tiny Cities"
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2006, 13:45 »

Oh I have to hear this.

Jarne

"Tiny Cities"
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2006, 15:01 »

It looks terrible. Modest Mouse can only really be done well by the people in Modest Mouse, while people could play songs from, say, the Ramones and still make them sound good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up