THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 22:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: photoshop/new comic advice?  (Read 12894 times)

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
photoshop/new comic advice?
« on: 25 Jan 2006, 20:59 »

hi! i'm planning to make a comic out of a story that one of my friends wrote, so i'd really apreciate any feedback people could give. the premise of the story is this: following the quick fall of most of civilization and technology as far as we're aware, our group of friends (9 or 10 of us in the story) sets out together. (if you're interested, it lives here.)

below i have the first page that i've drawn (it's actually the 20th page in sequence), and the section of the story it's meant to illustrate. my biggest problem, i think, is that i really don't know how to use photoshop effectively. the two finished panels each took me *several* hours, so if i'm going to do this for real, i know i've got to find a quicker way to do it. another small concern is, do you think it's a good idea to use our real names and the places in the area the way jerrit wrote them? he has us trekking all over our end of the county, and drawings are based off the real road and bridge where the fight takes place, but people's houses are in here too, and i was kinda planning to draw them as i know them to be. is that generally considered a really bad idea?

Quote from: Jerrit
Route 28 was littered with stopped cars. Most sat on the shoulder, but some were in the middle of the road. A few of them had their windows broken. All of them looked pathetic. I sighed deeply at the thought of my beloved Saab sitting in the driveway, never to run again. Walking down the first hill towards the bridge, it became clear that there was a recently placed baracade across the bridge itself. Barbed wire and overturned cars blocked the way. As our group came close to the foot of the bridge, three strange men came out from behind the baracade. One had a metal pipe, annother had a wooden baseball bat, and the third carried a long hunting knife. The one with the knife yelled out to us, "Food or water to cross the bridge!" There was some muttering, and Adam yelled back, "What do you need water for? You're on top of a small river!" The man was unfazed, and repeated his demand.

thanks for reading all of that, any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

torg

« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2006, 05:15 »

Hmm... i think you should ask your friends if they want do be in the comic with their real names. If not, just use different names. I dont see a problem with drawing real places. You shouldnt try to draw every detail anyway, so its not like you're taking pictures.  

about your PS problem: your panels look nice but you have to much details in the trees and the grass, try to simplify the objects so you dont have to fill a huge panel with tiny dots of paint, but can flood-fill them instead and perhaps just accentuate some details. You also could use patterns or special brushes that create teh desired texture automatically (i am not a PS user, so i dont know how it is done in PS, but in GIMP you can create brushes that do it). Have you read Jephs tutorial or seen his little video? there are some other excellent webcomic tutorials out ther, just google for them. Applegeeks are currently also doing a kind of a tutorial, read Hawks comments below the comic. (btw, where he is using flash you can use photoshop, too).

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2006, 16:25 »

about the names- i shall ask people.

about the photoshop- i used some of the special brushes for the grass, trees& dirt.. i was really dissatisfied with how a plain fill looked. i just don't understand how to use about half the functions photoshop has.. and i couldn't get jeph's video to run :-(

this is the actual size of those first 2 panels- it was shrank by photoshop's size limits, i think.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

torg

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2006, 03:04 »

ok.. let me get home today and i shall post some links to tutorials that i found to be useful.

Mollinda

« Reply #5 on: 02 Feb 2006, 11:51 »

I have to say I think with comics the lines are far FAR more important than the colouring.

I think your colouring is far too fussy and it makes it look amateurish. Definitely try a simpler method.

There are a couple of tutorials over at my site which might help :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up