THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PVP"Alive"  (Read 16323 times)

Sideways

PVP"Alive"
« on: 03 Jan 2006, 07:23 »

Hey all.

If you haven't seen/heard of this yet, I urge you to visit www.pvponline.com before reading further, thus gaining your own, neutral opinion of Kurtz's newest idea.

-----waits for people to click the link-----

Ok.  It really fucking sucks.  I mean, I thought this was a bad fan submission at first... it's just THAT unfunny... and then I realized - as of Kurtz's newspost today - that he's actually serious about this (since he decided to lambaste anyone who e-mailed him with a negative critique).

For those of you who couldn't be bothered clicking the link, essentially what Kurtz is doing is putting sound (terribly voice acted, probably by one of his few friends) to images from his comic.  The images are basically just static frames, some of them obviously cut-n-pasted from his comics.  The first one involves Brent and Skull talking on the phone one night.  Given how - in the actual comics - I've laughed the most at the different scenes where Brent and Skull are relating, I thought this could've been a working idea.

It isn't.

It sounds adlibbed... and not funny "whose line is it anyway" sort of adlib... the painful "oh god, why does my friend think he's funny... he so isn't funny... PLEASE GOD MAKE HIM STOP" sort of adlib.  Apparantly this guy thinks it's hilarious though, as he's actually laughing through much of the soundbyte.

It's bad.  Real bad.

But that's just one man's opinion.  What does everyone else think of it?

JJMitchell

PVP"Alive"
« Reply #1 on: 03 Jan 2006, 07:58 »

It sucked.  I'm a PvP fan regardless of Kurtz, who I don't have an opinion on, I just enjoy the comic.

I didn't make it all the way through it, the voice acting was horrible and did sound like they were trying to be adlibby.  (Yeah thats a word)

Let me say this again, it sucks.

Laurie

PVP"Alive"
« Reply #2 on: 03 Jan 2006, 12:18 »

I wasn't even interested until you said how much it sucked. Man, that is terrible. I'm not a PVP fan, but my bf is so I catch it from time to time when it's his turn at the computer, but it never really caught my interest. *shrugs*

But yeah, that's terrible.

DarthCat

PVP"Alive"
« Reply #3 on: 03 Jan 2006, 12:44 »

Yeah, checked that out the other day. The voices are so bad I really couldn't stand it for more than a minute or so. If I were to have gotten something like that from a fan, I would urge my readers to lynch him/her.

The fact that Kurtz & Friends did it themselves is disgusting. Lose-one's-breakfast, lunch and dinner-which-has-not-yet-been-eaten disgusting.

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
PVP"Alive"
« Reply #4 on: 03 Jan 2006, 12:58 »

looks far nicer

though kinda cheesy
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

Laurie

PVP"Alive"
« Reply #5 on: 03 Jan 2006, 13:24 »

Yeah... but you have to *pay* for it, and... I dunno.

Wonder if PVP "Alive" could be some kind of response... yeesh.

Sideways

PVP"Alive"
« Reply #6 on: 03 Jan 2006, 14:04 »

Oh it totally is.

The CAD WoW players were acting like jackasses long after Tim left the guild (got tired of playing WoW).  Since they represented CAD though, Tim would come in from time-to-time and make sure everything was cool.  He had to yell at people for being beligerant little asshats so often, that he eventually came in one night, saw his 'fans' being dickheads again, and just deleted the guild.

In comes Kurtz (who will take any opportunity to try and make Tim look bad, because he's pissed that Tim's comic is way more popular) who 'rescued' the CAD guildies and 'gave them a home' with his own guild.  He then went on to refer to the event as 'Hurricane Tim' and proceeded - on that 'rescued' forum - to gobble up as much of the 'Tim-flaming' as he possibly could, while - mostly - staying out of it himself.  You could tell that he was in his glory, though... a petty little victory for a petty fat guy.

As you can tell I don't like him.  We've had two run-ins, Kurtz and I.  Both started out pleasant enough, and ended with him being a complete asshole.  One involved me asking him about his influences, and he responded kindly enough talking about Kirkman - who he works with - and I went on to ask how Kirkman could be an artistic 'influence' for him, when Kirkman has only been with image for about 2 years, and PVP's been around for more than 5 or 6 years... he somehow twisted that into an insult against Kirkman, and proceeded to flame me - via e-mail - for about a full page and a half.  When I tried to politely clarify, he said I was trying to backtrack, and started talking about how I was the type of person who tried to twist arguments to my advantage.  I just gave up at that point.  Kurtz is a dickhead.

MutantCircus

PVP"Alive"
« Reply #7 on: 04 Jan 2006, 16:36 »

Yeah, Kurtz claimed it wasn't anything to do with CAD, but he's totally lying. He takes a shot at Tim whenever he can, not that Tim never deserves it, but this is just another example of Kurtz trying to "innocently" take a cheap shot.

I mean, it's not like anyone would think his very poor "animated" version of his webcomic is going to have anything to do with the other popular webcomic that is putting out an animated series. It's just a coincidence that these things happened at the same time, right?

Kurtz enjoys web drama way too much.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
PVP"Alive"
« Reply #8 on: 04 Jan 2006, 18:34 »

AM I THE ONLY PERSON WHO IS FUCKING SICK TO DEATH OF THIS KURTZ SHIT? I do not care for the comic and do not read it and everywhere I go someone is complaining about him. Chill out people, you browser has many, many buttons, few if any lead you to PvP. The fact is you don't have to isten r react to him just because he is there. The internet is a big place, and it's easy to ignore somebdy on it.

Just freaking chill out people.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Justin

PVP"Alive"
« Reply #9 on: 05 Jan 2006, 01:52 »

at first i wasn't impressed with it at all, well truth be told i'm still not impressed, but the first one was almost an insult considering how much he hyped it up. it was so bad i actually looked at his forums to see what other people were saying about it. kurtz insists it's not a jab at tim buckley, although i think i might've liked it more if it had been, that way i could've forgiven how crappy it looks.

but i did laugh at the second one, i laughed every time i saw cole "walk" in, i love how they didn't try to conceal that it was just a torso cutout, it just looked so funny to me, and i'm also a sucker for people spitting out their drinks. so sue me.

so, professional? eh, no. funny? kinda. that's my opinion anyhow.

Sideways

PVP"Alive"
« Reply #10 on: 05 Jan 2006, 09:10 »

Quote from: ironoxide887
AM I THE ONLY PERSON WHO IS FUCKING SICK TO DEATH OF THIS KURTZ SHIT? I do not care for the comic and do not read it and everywhere I go someone is complaining about him. Chill out people, you browser has many, many buttons, few if any lead you to PvP. The fact is you don't have to isten r react to him just because he is there. The internet is a big place, and it's easy to ignore somebdy on it.

Perhaps you're the one who should chill?  You're being more aggressive about this than any of us... so what does that tell you?

And maybe following some of your own advice is good.  If you think it would be easier/better for us to just ignore Kurtz/PVPOnline, since we don't like it... maybe you should just ignore posts about Kurtz/PVPOnline when you don't like them?

Seriously man, complaining about how people complain about things?  Is this a school study on hypocracy or something?

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
PVP"Alive"
« Reply #11 on: 08 Jan 2006, 14:02 »

You are completely right, I should probably not get that angry about that stuff, and I'm not usually one to do so. I genuinely apologize for that post people of the internets.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

jarofflies

PVP"Alive"
« Reply #12 on: 08 Jan 2006, 17:07 »

Finally, other people who think it sucks. Since noone seems to have mentioned it, its actually Kris Straub's(checkerboard nightmare/starslip crisis) invention. They try to act like this is some brand new form of animation, when honestly its just a crappy variation of flash. I keep seeing all these other webcartoonists saying how great it is, but no its not.

GunShyMartyr

PVP"Alive"
« Reply #13 on: 12 Jan 2006, 10:23 »

I take it you were the same Sideways who was posting in the thread on PvP's forums? That is, before Kurtz wiped it.

Octillus

PVP"Alive"
« Reply #14 on: 12 Jan 2006, 11:02 »

Judging by the poor quality of this venture, and also the fact that CAD's animation costs money, well, I have little hope for Penny Arcade's finger puppet theater.

Micolithe

PVP"Alive"
« Reply #15 on: 13 Jan 2006, 00:47 »

I have to just say that the PVP animations are a hell of alot funnier than CAD's animations. Neither are that good, but PVP is definitely better.

But seriously guys, stop caring about why Scott Kurtz does things. If you have nothing better to do than to speculate about how Kurtz wants to "Stir things up on the internet" as Lowtax put it in an SA update once, you really need to get a life.

practicality

PVP"Alive"
« Reply #16 on: 15 Jan 2006, 19:06 »

They've gotten considerably better. The last one didn't make baby Jesus cry. Although he might have welled up a bit.

jarofflies

PVP"Alive"
« Reply #17 on: 15 Jan 2006, 19:13 »

Quote from: Micolithe
I have to just say that the PVP animations are a hell of alot funnier than CAD's animations. Neither are that good, but PVP is definitely better.

Hey uh, sorry to break this to you but the CAD series doesn't start till february.

Grimmy

PVP"Alive"
« Reply #18 on: 18 Jan 2006, 07:38 »

You are completely right, I should probably not get that angry about that stuff, and I'm not usually one to do so. I genuinely apologize for that post people of the internets.

and i TOTALLY pictured you saying that in the gruffy voice of the monster from fosters home for imaginary friends "whose name i cannot remember"
POTATOES?

Aram

PVP"Alive"
« Reply #19 on: 21 Jan 2006, 09:06 »

Alright, let me throw in my two cents. Guys, this Kurtz ranting is getting annoying. Every place I go, every thread that has to do something with PVP, someone goes and rants about Kurtz. It's getting -really- annoying. I don't have an opinion of Kurtz, mainly because I just read his comic for the entertainment. "Web-issues" get annoying after everyone starts blasting their heads off at the mention of a name.
And to keep this thread on some semblance of a topic, I thought PvP Alive was rather entertaining. He didn't really mean for it to be a professionally done animation or anything, he was just screwing around, thought it was funny, and put it up on his site. Of -course- CAD-Animation is going to look better. It's done by professional animators and voiced by real voice actors. Kurtz was just having some fun.

October Blues

PVP"Alive"
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jan 2006, 18:27 »

Quote from: Sideways

Perhaps you're the one who should chill?  You're being more aggressive about this than any of us... so what does that tell you?

And maybe following some of your own advice is good.  If you think it would be easier/better for us to just ignore Kurtz/PVPOnline, since we don't like it... maybe you should just ignore posts about Kurtz/PVPOnline when you don't like them?

Seriously man, complaining about how people complain about things?  Is this a school study on hypocracy or something?

"You're stupid." "Your mom!" "Yeah? Well, go make babies!"

Seriously, though? I don't care for PvP, it's never held my attention, and it leaves me no way to get to the first comic without pressing 'previous' a bunch of times, which I do not enjoy doing. But, I guess, that if  webcomic artist wants to post stupid fun on his website, he'll probably find that a few of his fans will enjoy it, though, no one is required to enjoy it.

Sideways

PVP"Alive"
« Reply #21 on: 03 Feb 2006, 13:43 »

TO:

Anyone annoyed with the 'Kurtz Ranting'

Someone who has frequently 'Kurtz Ranted'

Here's a tidbit... a thought you may not - yourself - have had.  How many people complain about Gabe or Tycho?  How many complain about Jeph?  How many complain about Nick over at PBF?  How many complain about Sam Logan?   Now... how many complain about Kurtz, or Tim Buckley?

Think about it for a minute.  You think it's because of some unfair bias?  You think it's merely fanboyism?  Try to come to the most objective and rational answer, think of Occaum's razor here.  

People bitch about Kurtz and Buckley because Kurtz and Buckley are known to be self-centered high-and-mighty loudmouth asshats, who engage their talkorgans before their thinkbones.  They stir shit, they encourage flames, and they just happen to hate each other, with some heavy emphasis on 'hate'.  Why is that?  Perhaps they see a bit of themselves in each other?

----------------[ASIDE]-------------------
In my own experience, having had some lengthy back-and-forth (at least 10+ pieces of correspondence) converstations, with both Tim Buckley and Scott Kurtz, I can speak - once again, only from my PERSONAL experience - to this one fact;  Tim was pleasant, funny and interesting.  Kurtz was an asshat.  Now I know Tim has stirred shit on the internets before, hence my use of him as an example, but I wanted to clarify that in my personal (EMPHASIS) experience in corresponding with him;  he was a really cool guy.
----------------[/ASIDE]------------------

The point is; there are many webcomic artists who avoid the drama by simply acting in this manner;

"Hey guys, glad you like what I do.  Here's what I think about <insert game, movie, indie band, etc>.  Hope you're having a good day!"

They don't act in this manner;

"Hey guys, I just thought I'd let you all know that I think <insert product, webcomic, person, book, etc> fucking sucks, and all people associated with it are snobs.  Have a good day!"

What is going to get the negative reaction out of those two statements?

In conclusion... if you're sick and tired of hearing people complain about specific webcomic 'personalities' just take a moment - instead of bitching those people out - to think; 'these personalities have brought this upon themselves'.  Maybe they're the ones you should direct your ire towards?

Culpability... crazy thought, eh?

almost thursday

PVP"Alive"
« Reply #22 on: 04 Feb 2006, 08:06 »

i actually seriously found that shit funny. i don't get what the hell is wrong with it.

jarofflies

PVP"Alive"
« Reply #23 on: 04 Feb 2006, 13:54 »

Quote from: October Blues

"You're stupid." "Your mom!" "Yeah? Well, go make babies!"

Seriously, though? I don't care for PvP, it's never held my attention, and it leaves me no way to get to the first comic without pressing 'previous' a bunch of times, which I do not enjoy doing. But, I guess, that if  webcomic artist wants to post stupid fun on his website, he'll probably find that a few of his fans will enjoy it, though, no one is required to enjoy it.

See that button that says 'archive'? :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up