THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: KONG!!!!  (Read 11291 times)

Spinless

KONG!!!!
« on: 22 Dec 2005, 16:34 »

WHERE THE HELL IS THE KING KONG THREAD?!!?
Seriously, I think it's the greatest film ever made. It IS the greatest film ever made.
Although, there were parts missing from the trailer. Where were my alligatosaurus? What happened to the beach?
And I swear the black dude bitch kicked a much bigger dinosaur in the trailer.  Not Adrian Brody with a slightly smaller one. Speaking of...
ADRIAN BRODY! I'd turn gay for him.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
KONG!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2005, 16:51 »

There were alligatosauruses. The things chasing Ann into the hollow tree trunk.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Kid Modernist

KONG!!!!
« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2005, 18:36 »

Greatest film ever made?

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
KONG!!!!
« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2005, 19:29 »

I saw it the other day and I really liked it. Not the best film ever but definately top 100 material. Sure, it was bit long and the story was a little naff but oh god, those visuals.
Prettiest movie of the year definately.
They cut a lot out, I expect there'll be tonnes of deleted scenes on the DVD. For instance, the ads show Kong on the boat, no Kong on the boat in the movie, ads show them filming on the shoreline, no filming on the shoreline in the movie. Personally I'm in favour of these cuts. It was too long as is. They could have cut all the crap about the cabin boy "Oh we found him on a log in the ocean..." Who cares? That's a 5 minute story I could've done without. I mean sure, that's why the dude does so much to protect him but come on, it's not neccessary.

Did anyone else notice the homage to Braindead, the cage marked "Sumatran Rat Monkey"? Awesome. Did anyone see Jackson himself? I wasn't paying attention...

All in all a very good movie. I give it 8/10 just cause it was too bloody long.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Rawr and Stuff

KONG!!!!
« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2005, 22:39 »

I have to admit I loved the action scenes. If you wanted over done but still freaking awesome action battles between huge creatures or humans against huge creatures, this movie has it.

But the slow "dramatic" parts completely killed off the rest of the movie. Too many close up's on Anne's face and the attempt at symbolism was...well, let's just say horribly overdone.

Overall good though.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
KONG!!!!
« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2005, 23:47 »

Quote from: Rizzo
Did anyone see Jackson himself? I wasn't paying attention...

I was looking. I figured he'd be one of the airplane pilots that killed Kong at the end, like Merian Cooper was in the original, but I didn't notice him.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
KONG!!!!
« Reply #6 on: 23 Dec 2005, 00:02 »

he was in the theatre near the end.

Hey, that fucking chase scene took way too long. It apparently takes brontosauruses 15 minutes to fall off a cliff.
also israel

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
KONG!!!!
« Reply #7 on: 23 Dec 2005, 00:46 »

Yeah, those dinos could have died a bit quicker...

It was awesome to see the Civic Theatre (Old, protected and awesome) getting smashed to pieces by Kong. Sitting there thinking "Swweeeeet, he just destroyed the seats I usually book tickets for". Ah New Zealand, crops up in so many movies.
What was Braindead called outside Australasia? It was supposedly the goriest movie of all time if that's any help. Something dead or Dead something... It was Jackson's second film and it was bloody brilliant (Puntacular).
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
KONG!!!!
« Reply #8 on: 23 Dec 2005, 11:29 »

Dead Alive
also israel

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
KONG!!!!
« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2005, 21:28 »

It was freaking awesome, but the ending, guh, I jsut wanted it to end.

On subsequent watches, I will just stop watching once Kong is captured and they leave the island.  So the Climax will actually be climactic, instead of a crappy ending to teh most intense Gorilla vs 3xTrex in the most awesome fight scene EVAR.

And Adrian Brody is like the scariest writer alive, I mean shit, heys punching and kicking ass all over the place, then escapes King "Beat up 3 Trexs one handed" Kong by catching a lift on a giant vampire bat.  Like seriously, do they teach you that in writing school?

Then theres Jack Black, didnt ANYONE hold him responsible for anything?  I mean, he's indirectly the cause of like 3000 people dieing in the course of the movie.  And not just dieing, but getting so pummeled-by-a-giant-Kong-that-they-have-to-have-a-closed-casket, dead.  Like jeez, what a prick, but I love him.

And of course, the X3 trailer at the begining of the movie.  Shit, I am so fucking geared up for that movie to come out that the goosebumps that X3 started actually lasted until Ann Darrow bored them off of me.  Like shit, you *cant* love a 30 foot gorilla, like the mechanics of it are mind boggling, and quite gross.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
KONG!!!!
« Reply #10 on: 25 Dec 2005, 00:46 »

Dead Alive? Excellent. I hope everyone on this forum has seen it.

So yeah, my favourite was seeing my local theatre being smashed to pieces. Riot Riot Upstart!

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
KONG!!!!
« Reply #11 on: 25 Dec 2005, 14:35 »

I love watching Peter Jackson movies because I've seen Dead Alive. I can watch LotR or Kong and think, in the back of my mind, "This is the same man who made a movie with a zombie priest who has sex with a decapitated undead nurse on a dinner table."
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

nescience

KONG!!!!
« Reply #12 on: 25 Dec 2005, 14:45 »

Dead Alive??  That shit is chill!

On a related note, has anyone noticed how unfattified Peter Jackson has become?

Crazy!

Bunnyman

KONG!!!!
« Reply #13 on: 26 Dec 2005, 03:04 »

That's not Peter Jackson.

Imagine, if you will, that there's a celebrity add-on for Impossible Creatures and two of the 'races' are Russell Crowe and Peter Jackson.  What you see above is the result of crossing the two.  Possibly the most devastating ground unit in the game.

ayePod

KONG!!!!
« Reply #14 on: 26 Dec 2005, 06:49 »

Greatest movie ever? There's absolutely no justification for that statement. Appart from it being the greatest day of the year.

OPPOSITES DAY!

Peet

• Curry sauce
  • The Second Gabber
KONG!!!!
« Reply #15 on: 26 Dec 2005, 16:14 »

Awsome film, but it was too long.

Peter Jackson's weakness got themselves displayed good and proper here. He bluescreened the streets of New York early on (a sequence that needed a good edit) which seemed pointless to me. With a budget of close to a billion dollars, couldn't he have built a set?
      The script was mostly good but, like Lord of the Rings, had the odd line that made you cringe, and needed half an hour chopping out. Jamie Bell's character was entirely superfluous, we didn't need the extra suspense.

I choose to blame the script on Fran Walsh, because I like Jackson and don't want to blame the movie's butchered, tattered remnants of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings on him. Thus, the script was Fran Walsh's fault and Jackson is awsome.
Quote from: Slick
I think Astaldo should be the next Dr. Who

Kid Modernist

KONG!!!!
« Reply #16 on: 26 Dec 2005, 16:51 »

I think Peter Jackson is a pretty second rate director, the only thing he rides on in makeup and action and not casting/acting/storytelling.

Autumn Rain

KONG!!!!
« Reply #17 on: 26 Dec 2005, 19:42 »

I loved it.  Took a little long to get going, but it was worth it.  I was surprised at how emotional it was at times, especially with Anne and Kong.  I was really skeptical about people saying similar things, but I teared up a bit at the end.  And of course, the CGI action doesn't disappoint.  I loved the film.

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
Re: KONG!!!!
« Reply #18 on: 26 Dec 2005, 22:06 »

Quote from: Spinless
Speaking of...
ADRIAN BRODY! I'd turn gay for him.

yes. well, since i am a girl i wouldn't have to turn gay for him or anything. but yay for you saying that.

i liked it okay... definitely not the best movie ever. and maybe it wasn't worth the 1800 yen i paid to see it. but it was a good movie.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
KONG!!!!
« Reply #19 on: 27 Dec 2005, 20:09 »

Quote from: Kid Modernist
I think Peter Jackson is a pretty second rate director, the only thing he rides on in makeup and action and not casting/acting/storytelling.

As a New Zealander I'm obliged by law to defend Peter Jackson with my life... he's pretty much the only thing we have to offer other than sheep.
In this case though I can't... I can't lie. He makes good movies but really there's nothing special there interms of storytelling or acting. The casting is good though, I think it is any way.

drpepper_phd

• Plantmonster
KONG!!!!
« Reply #20 on: 27 Dec 2005, 23:50 »

I don't mean to rain on the parade--- but I nearly fell asleep during Kong. Jack Black was subpar- and they hide the movie's shortcomings under a nice glossy layer of CGI. Not as bad as Yours, Mine, and Ours, but pretty damn close.

Note to Peter Jackson: This isn't a quest to save middle Earth. There's no need to make this a three hour plus movie. I would've much rather have seem better casting in an hour-and-a-half abridged Kong than a eye-pleasing three hour snoozefest.
You know the taste of love- http://lamb.atspace.us/">Lemonade and Manic Blue.--Twin sister's Webmanga

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
KONG!!!!
« Reply #21 on: 29 Dec 2005, 04:05 »

King Kong is a top notch kick-ass flick. Probably best film of 2005.

If you havn't seen it yet go see it/purchase the DVD/Video. Seriously do.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

ayePod

KONG!!!!
« Reply #22 on: 29 Dec 2005, 05:44 »

Best film of the year was Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. By a mother crunkin country mile.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
KONG!!!!
« Reply #23 on: 29 Dec 2005, 13:50 »

Quote from: ayePod
Best film of the year was Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

If I wasn't a Firefly/Serenity Fanboy I'd agree with you so hard

Still, I liked Kong. Needed to be a lot shorter though. They could have cut so much out of this movie, as long as they kept the T-Rex fight, nobody would have cared.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
KONG!!!!
« Reply #24 on: 30 Dec 2005, 13:01 »

Dear Peter Jackson.

WE GET IT. YOU MAKE LONG MOVIES.

Now put some effort into it, huh? Make us not hate all the human characters for being boring. Make us not worry about the mental state of the woman who wants to bone a 30 foot ape. Make us not need to pee in our coke cup to see the end of the movie, even though we all know that the monkey dies.

Also, squeezing what seems to be 3 shorter movies into 1 disgustingly long one is not a good idea in this, or almost ANY case. Just for future reference.

P.S.
Stick to your strengths. Make a damn "The Hobbit" movie.
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

Katori

KONG!!!!
« Reply #25 on: 31 Dec 2005, 22:27 »

I loved this movie, though not the best ever i admit it was high on the list of best ever. Its pure cinematic magic, best special effects in any movie yet, awesome plot that didnt get old at all, good casting, and a battle between Three T-rex's and King Kong
*gapes in awe*
Perfect movie to end the year with, Frighteners, LOTR, and King Kong.
What will you do next Mr. Peter Jackson, how can you top those.
Tied with best movie of the year with another movie  in my opinion, and i stand by my words of high praise.

Grumpus

KONG!!!!
« Reply #26 on: 02 Jan 2006, 00:20 »

I liked the movie nothing brilliant but good. And it dosn't matter how cinical about CGI you are (and I am fairly cinical), 3 T-Rexs fighting a gorila is freaking awsome.

Also blah-blah it was to long blah-blah why would a big dumb ape like a circus chick.

Also did anyone else notice that the "scene filmed by jackblacks character aboard the boat is taken direct;y from the original King Kong but is actualy part of the movie instead of the movie within a movie.

Daniel

KONG!!!!
« Reply #27 on: 03 Jan 2006, 19:20 »

Kong fighting the T-Rexes made me say "oo-oooooooh". Most of the stuff on the island, actually, was ridiculously awesome.

I didn't really find it too long, either - it certianly could have been shorter, but I enjoyed all of it, and there weren't any stages where I was just wishing for it to end.

But, yeah - Jackon doesn't seem to be to be an overly fantastic director, the action scenes were great, but the comedy and the romance parts fell flat. I want to see his earlier films, to see how he manages without a massive budget.

The low point of the film? Where the writer guy types "skull".

Maximo Bean

KONG!!!!
« Reply #28 on: 08 Jan 2006, 05:21 »

Adrien Brody was one hot arse dude in that film.
Meh, it was good but it was lacking a bit.
I thought it had a bad script.
Also, how did they get Kong to New York?
HOW DID ADD CLIMB A LADDER WITH HEELS ON?
All madness I say.

lingy

KONG!!!!
« Reply #29 on: 14 Jan 2006, 13:34 »

wonderful, but bloody damn long T_T.

And those insects were damn scary. Oozing out with slimy tentacles aahhhghhgh...my mom was freaking out, she grabbed my knee in terror like six times!

It was pretty funny how it transitioned from WAHHRHHGHHG to yayhappyfunkthnxbai...and the happy parts were with the king kong...

fun stuff.

Merkava

KONG!!!!
« Reply #30 on: 15 Jan 2006, 09:51 »

Quote from: neomang5
Dear Peter Jackson.

WE GET IT. YOU MAKE LONG MOVIES.

Now put some effort into it, huh? Make us not hate all the human characters for being boring. Make us not worry about the mental state of the woman who wants to bone a 30 foot ape. Make us not need to pee in our coke cup to see the end of the movie, even though we all know that the monkey dies.

Also, squeezing what seems to be 3 shorter movies into 1 disgustingly long one is not a good idea in this, or almost ANY case. Just for future reference.

P.S.
Stick to your strengths. Make a damn "The Hobbit" movie.

Idiot. Are. You.

Put that in a sentence. Seriously. Anyone who thinks that Anne wanted to bone King Kong should loose thinking privledges. It's called fascination and sympathy. If you met a giant puppy, you would probably get googley eyed and engrossed by it. If it were in trouble, chances are you'd want to help it.

Christ, people. It's like love is constantly confused with sex. I'm an adolescent teenager and I know better than you. Sure your comment was a joke, but it was a dumb one.

Also, Adrien Brody is an ugly, ugly man. I'd rather Naomi Watts, my pick for most beautiful woman alive, maybe do the captain. That guy had a hot ruggedness. :P

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
KONG!!!!
« Reply #31 on: 15 Jan 2006, 11:57 »

When they kissed Brody's nose dug right into her face ahaha.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Gryff

• Summary sense... tingling!
KONG!!!!
« Reply #32 on: 16 Jan 2006, 15:45 »

My opinion sits somewhere in the middle:

I thought the movie was too long, but then again I didn't find myself feeling bored at any stage. Having said that I probably would not be keen on too many repeat viewings.

There certainly could have been bits cut out, and there were probably freakin loads of scenes cut out already. I predict a "director's cut" DVD with like an extra hour of footage or something.

The action scenes were way cool, although that bit with the kid blasting bugs off Adrien Brody with a machine gun was just silly. I thought the romantic scenes were suited to the kind of grand, sweeping old fashioned action blockbuster. The casting was spot on too, in my opinion.

Definitely not the best film ever, and not even the best of 2005, but certainly a beautifully shot, fun and exciting movie.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
KONG!!!!
« Reply #33 on: 16 Jan 2006, 19:05 »

NO MERVAKA, SHE TOTALLY WANTED APE DONG

Sorry. I really am for that.

I haven't seen the movie, but I've been planning to, assuming it's till, like, in theatres.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
KONG!!!!
« Reply #34 on: 17 Jan 2006, 00:05 »

My opinion:

Decent movie, but how could it even be anywhere near all-time great?

The acting was pretty middle-of-the-road, the story itself followable but utterly uncompelling, the last line completely laughable.

It was an action film,  where the gasp exceeded the reach. Jackson wanted to make it into more but the story simply wasn't there for it. What you end up with is a lot of pretty CGI, some awesome actions scenes, and some dramatic sequences that aren't really believable or compelling.
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

my infernal affairs

KONG!!!!
« Reply #35 on: 17 Jan 2006, 04:53 »

The latest movie I watched, it got me out of my apartment when the carpet cleaners came.  I have to say that it filled my time well though the first hour was kinda hard to sit through, the character development didn't really matter for most of the characters at least.

The Kong vs.  Triple T Rex was awesome! Bugs were gross, seems perverse to me.

Maximo Bean

KONG!!!!
« Reply #36 on: 17 Jan 2006, 06:54 »

Quote from: Chesire Cat
When they kissed Brody's nose dug right into her face ahaha.

Fuck.
If he kissed me if he could put his nose wherever he liked.

Gryff

• Summary sense... tingling!
KONG!!!!
« Reply #37 on: 17 Jan 2006, 12:41 »

Oo-er.

cibohphobic

KONG!!!!
« Reply #38 on: 19 Jan 2006, 15:56 »

The action scenes were entertaining, and alot of the CGI - while used far too often - was very pretty. But seriously, does Peter Jackson have some sort of aversion to editing or something? By the end I was literally humming to myself "Here we go, biplanes, here we go!". Then I would execute two tiny, close-to-inaudible stomps. Then repeat. I was that eager for the fucking monkey to die so I could be done with that excessively long movie.

Really, though, other than that, good film.
Pages: [1]   Go Up