THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 07:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i know, i know, i know, this is INCREDIBLY lame  (Read 4615 times)

blanketarms

but i've got a record and i need to sell it.
i've got only thirty copies, but a really small DIY label put it out taking a risk on me, and now i'm afraid no one's gonna buy it cos it's really obscure stuff.
**i'm not asking anyone on here to buy my music**
i'm just curious if anyone on here has any DIY music projects of their own.
and how they sell their music to folks other than their friends.
i mean, im sure i'll sell a few copies at shows, but this album was written for a childhood friend who had a baby - its an album full of baby songs. weird, cute, creepy stuff.
i'm not sure how to market on the internerd.
anyone think they can help?
(i feel mega lame and uber-n00b.)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
i know, i know, i know, this is INCREDIBLY lame
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2006, 10:30 »

*shrug* My band sells self-produced albums (as in no production, recorded live and put out how it is) for a pound each to anyone who will have them. We don't sell many, but a dozen records is plenty to me.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2006, 18:21 »

Well, it's nice to put up samples of stuff; people don't generally just take a wild chance on something they've never heard, especially if it's not a big name. Some sort of website in general. A lot of small groups use Purevolume and Myspace. Then whore it out like crazy. (I think myspace is better for this part of the job).
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

blanketarms

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2006, 18:26 »

Quote from: Kai
Well, it's nice to put up samples of stuff; people don't generally just take a wild chance on something they've never heard, especially if it's not a big name. Some sort of website in general. A lot of small groups use Purevolume and Myspace. Then whore it out like crazy. (I think myspace is better for this part of the job).

yeh, i have a myspace. i just hate it. especially since newscorp acquired it.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2006, 14:40 »

Quote from: Kai

I prefer purevolume. Myspace is a place for emokids to whore themselves. Purevolume is just the music.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2006, 14:49 »

While yes, myspace has more annoying fuckwads on it than PV, it also has a generally easier way to whore yourself out. I'd reccomend both.

Besides, it's not like the bands on Purevolume are any better. :D

Speaking of which, the worst band I've ever seen on PV that took themselves fully seriously? Hollywood Undead. www.purevolume.com/HollywoodUndead.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Radiowar

• Obscure cultural reference
    • my music
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2006, 14:00 »

I sell albums through Lulu.com and I have a soundclick...I've sold 2 so far which isn't bad since my only means of promotion is through internet forums.

TheoristB

• Larger than most fish
    • http://www.ohnonarecords.com
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2006, 17:39 »

we sell our disks at shows.  We play lots of shows.  Between 5 and ten a month.  You wont sell many online without amazing promotion.  So yeah, play shows.
You Smarmy Bastard.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2006, 18:58 »

That's actually probably the best advice you could get. Play like crazy. Put on a good show. And people will purchase.

almost thursday

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jan 2006, 04:43 »

man, if you wanna promote yr music a great way to do it is to do a split with somebody else that's in the exact same situation as you. that way, all his freidns will have no choice but to listen to yr material, and all yr friends will be forced to listen to his. and if any of them like it enough, they really won't mind acquiring the earleir material too. also, like everybody else says, shows.

Chingyul

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jan 2006, 23:15 »

You can give cd baby a try

www.cdbaby.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up