THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 13:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Memoirs of a Geisha  (Read 6119 times)

mooface

Memoirs of a Geisha
« on: 25 Dec 2005, 00:28 »

I read the book a few months ago and loved it to death.  I couldn't put it down- I finished it in a day.  When I came back to the States I found out they made a movie for it, and I went to go see it last night.  They changed some random details in the movie version, and stuff was cut out... obviously.  But all in all I thought they did a really good job of staying true to the book- much better than I anticipated.  The only problem was that I felt like if I hadn't read the book beforehand, I would have been very confused, especially at the beginning.

Has anybody else seen this movie?  (If you haven't read the book or seen the movie yet, I strongly reccommend you do so :))

nescience

Memoirs of a Geisha
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2005, 11:12 »

Haven't read the book or seen the movie yet, but I'll be interested to see how they can get away with casting the main (Japanese) characters with Chinese-heritage actresses and not spark more intense criticism from the Japanese than the book originally incited.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
Memoirs of a Geisha
« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2005, 12:08 »

Because they're hot.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Stifled Dreams

Memoirs of a Geisha
« Reply #3 on: 25 Dec 2005, 12:55 »

I thought the book was fantastic, it was a good read. There has been a lot of criticism from the Japanese so far - I imagine they're pretty pissed off! Casting non-Japanese actresses was a bold move. I'm a little bit skeptical, but I still really want to see the movie, because it has so much potential.

Bunnyman

Memoirs of a Geisha
« Reply #4 on: 26 Dec 2005, 03:02 »

I'm seriously doubting this movie, since the lead actress is not only Chinese, but knows little-to-no Japanese or English, and essentially parroted the lines.  How in the sweet fuck-all is someone going to emote convincingly if they don't know what the bloody hell they're saying?

And the trailer was awful.  But then that's par for the course.

kissy0560

Memoirs of a Geisha
« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec 2005, 21:23 »

i really really liked the movie.

StupidityKills

Memoirs of a Geisha
« Reply #6 on: 27 Dec 2005, 13:20 »

Wow I'm shocked to hear that they used Chinese actresses. That's so blatantley wrong!?
But I loved the book, if the film is half as beautifully shot as the book describes it'll be worth just seeing anyway.

zerofiftysix

Memoirs of a Geisha
« Reply #7 on: 27 Dec 2005, 23:02 »

The first thing I noticed when I saw the trailer a few months ago was that it was Ziyi Zhang playing Sayuri (or Chiyo if you want to argue).  Maybe its because I'm an Asian boy but that was the first thing I noticed.  I was like, "WTF, she's totally Chinese."

Guys, you can't even believe how many times American (or non-Asian) movie productions use mismatched Asian actors in relation to each other.  Like sometimes a Korean actor would play a character who is a son of a Chinese guy, for example.

I understand the Japanese's anger towards this movie because its majorly ironic.

1.) Chinese actresses.  The girl that played Pumpkin was Japanese.  And the Chairman was Japanese - Ken Watanabe - He was in The Last Samuri (another ironic movie about Japan).

2.) They spoke English, even the old Japanese ladies.  We all know that the law of the universe is that old Asian ladies never ever, under any circumstances, speak English.  Ever.  At all. :-p

3.) The book was written by a Caucasian GUY.  About Asianic WOMEN.  To be fair, the guy had some sort of degree on Japanese studies or something something from Columbia or something something.  

But I did see the movie and I really liked it.  Purely from a "I-don't-care-about-those no-good-Japanese-protesting-I-just-wanna-see-this-goddamn-movie-and-eat-my-popcorn-with-my-date-and-maybe-a-little-macky-mack-later", I thought it was alright.  

I LOVED THE SOUNDTRACK.  I mean, I. Perlman and Yo Yo Ma and John Williams.  Can't get any better music.  You can't.

*References to Japanese Hate is totally meant to be funny.  I, in fact, heart Japanese people.  My mom, however, likes to despise them.  It's an Asian thing that I don't really understand.

mooface

Memoirs of a Geisha
« Reply #8 on: 27 Dec 2005, 23:23 »

Quote from: zerofiftysix
The book was written by a Caucasian GUY.  About Asianic WOMEN.

he did a scarily good job, though!  i didn't realize the author was a man until halfway through reading it when i began to wonder who the author was (because i was starting to become half-convinced it was an actual autobiography).  when i saw the name i was all "wtf?!" and it threw me off- i had to take a break from reading it, actually.

darkhorizons

Memoirs of a Geisha
« Reply #9 on: 28 Dec 2005, 14:20 »

I read the book around 6 months ago and absolutely loved it, saw the movie the first day it came out.  I thought that it was really well-done, and the story was preserved through the book-to-film transition.  There were only a couple of problems.

-- The girl who played older-chiyo SUCKED.  Man, they could have cast her SO much better.  She was OBVIOUSLY Chinese.  And this is coming from a 15-year-old WHITE girl.  The way she said her lines was, for the most part, lacking the emotion needed.  I thought the girl who played little-chiyo did a MUCH better job.

-- Also, the woman narrating it (a supposedly older Sayuri) had a voice several tones deeper than the actor, so there was a lot of trouble realizing that, in fact, they were the same character.

I loved the other characters (esp Hatsumomo, Mameha).  They were v. true to the book and fit their roles WELL. Whoever the hell played the Chairman was excellent as well.

All in all, I loved the movie.  I cried twice...

Anson

Memoirs of a Geisha
« Reply #10 on: 29 Dec 2005, 01:53 »

I'm really glad that I'm not the only one who's seen the irony\hilarity of having a movie based on a book written by a white guy, starring Chinese actors playing Japanese characters with english dialogue.

BellaChaos

Memoirs of a Geisha
« Reply #11 on: 06 Jan 2006, 10:18 »

Quote from: Anson
I'm really glad that I'm not the only one who's seen the irony\hilarity of having a movie based on a book written by a white guy, starring Chinese actors playing Japanese characters with english dialogue.

Yeah, I was questioning all this while sitting through the ten hour movie!

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Memoirs of a Geisha
« Reply #12 on: 06 Jan 2006, 18:19 »

I'm inherently suspicious of any film set entirely in a non-English speaking culture, yet which is in English.

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
Memoirs of a Geisha
« Reply #13 on: 14 Jan 2006, 13:21 »

it starts out in japanese, and then turns to english

but anyway

i saw this today, as i was late due to being in england. (also NEARLY bought sideways, which always reminds me of inlander)

i loikes it
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

lingy

Memoirs of a Geisha
« Reply #14 on: 14 Jan 2006, 13:32 »

ooh. I saw it =D. It was really quite beautiful, but bloody long T_T.

And my mom was sitting next to me griping on how she would have liked it so much better if the main actress wasn't so ugly.

-shrugs- i've heard bad and good on Zhang Ziyi.

The movie was like...linear though. It wins at life =D.

AdamIsConceited

Memoirs of a Geisha
« Reply #15 on: 31 Jan 2006, 04:40 »

I've got 50 pages left in the book.  It's a good read.

emmie

Memoirs of a Geisha
« Reply #16 on: 04 Feb 2006, 18:39 »

I don't think you can really compare the book to the movie; the movie was an incredible movie and the book was an incredible book. That said, I'm not the biggest fan of Zhang Ziyi. The girl playing Chiyo was so cute! What happened? The woman playing Hatsumomo is so mad hot.

What was up with all that "I want a life that is MINE!!!" stuff, though? I never got that impression from the book.

airamek

Memoirs of a Geisha
« Reply #17 on: 27 Feb 2006, 06:13 »

i think i need to read the book again. i really liked it [when i read it] but that was like one and a half years ago. i only got to see 3/4 of the movie! my brother had a copy so i watched it there and thought i had time to finish it.. but no.. still probably had ages to go. hella long movie.

the only thing i found that annoyed me [until i read the book again] was that he dialogue was in english. i hate that in moves when its so obvious that they would not have been speaking english if it was a real ife tihng. which of course its not but still. subtitled movies are great, i dont see why they need to use english language when they could use their own. look at crouching tiger, hidden dragon: fantastic movie, and was in subtitles. :nods:

floatating

Memoirs of a Geisha
« Reply #18 on: 02 Mar 2006, 13:46 »

i loved the book, but the film came off as complete garbage to me. the sets were beautiful, yes, but it almost had no relation to the book, and the mockery of japanese culture was ridiculous (cherry blossoms everywhere? come on).

SiLeNtPuNk

Memoirs of a Geisha
« Reply #19 on: 07 Mar 2006, 05:38 »

I haven't seen the movie or read the book but  it-was-like-wha?  when I saw the advert for -lemme just research this...aha- 'Max Factor Masterpiece Mascara in Rich Black'.
Has anyone else seen this?
They are actually using the image of -basically- a Japanese Prostitute to sell make-up!
''Look how fabulously oppressed these women are: made to wear gallons of make up, uncomfortable shoes and perform for men! You too could look just like them!''

But sure, let's just cal it post-feminism shall we?
(hehe , sorry if I went a little off topic)
-Jen
Pages: [1]   Go Up