THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mark Z. Danielewski  (Read 3199 times)

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
Mark Z. Danielewski
« on: 02 Oct 2006, 20:04 »

The guy that wrote House of Leaves has a new book out I guess...has anyone seen it?  It looks like as much of a mindjob as HoL was...great, FANTASTIC book, but a complete mindfuck.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

OHsmeat

Re: Mark Z. Danielewski
« Reply #1 on: 02 Oct 2006, 22:22 »

Yeah I heard its going to be another meta-fiction esque novel with the same story told from two sides using the reverso book technique sounds pretty neat.

There might even be some teen angst!

oh check out the book slaughtermatic by Steve Aylett its short but you have to read it like 2 or 3 times to wrap your head around it.

mberan42

• Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #2 on: 05 Oct 2006, 11:46 »

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of House of Leaves, so I bought Only Revolutions. It's a very difficult read for me, at least so far. I'm about 36 x 2 pages into it, and confused.

I've not had a good chunk of time to sit down and just read it, though. Maybe that's why I'm not following it yet. But I'm giving it a good attempt.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #3 on: 05 Oct 2006, 15:15 »

I liked House of Leaves; haven’t read Only Revolutions yet.

One of my friends commented that, for someone so interested in experimenting with form, Only Revoltions’s format seemed very restricting for Danielewski.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

Alarra

« Reply #4 on: 05 Oct 2006, 17:27 »

See...this is why I love this forum. Who else gives Mark Z. D. his own thread? honestly?

I've not seen new book yet. Only Revolutions? I anticipate getting it eventually, but I'm poor. HoL.....great book though. My fiance's favorite

mberan42

• Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #5 on: 06 Oct 2006, 08:50 »

One of my friends commented that, for someone so interested in experimenting with form, Only Revoltions’s format seemed very restricting for Danielewski.
Yeah, now that you mention it, it is rather restricting. I've not done any in-depth analysis, but the two stories seem very similar in terms of word choice, format, spacing, etc... HoL had such a unique style...
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

El Opium

« Reply #6 on: 04 Nov 2006, 04:08 »

I just finished reading "House" of leaves last week, but I bit before that I got to attend a reading by the author were he read some excerpts from "Only Revoloutions", which sounded a lot more like poetry to me. Most interesting part of the reading was probably the Q&A, which proved that Mark Z, isn't as pretenscious as some might think, but that he is a workaholic.

alonelyargonaut

« Reply #7 on: 04 Nov 2006, 09:49 »

house was one of the most amazing and traumatizing books i've ever read
Pages: [1]   Go Up