THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iron chef america  (Read 4799 times)

surefunk

iron chef america
« on: 22 Jan 2006, 18:20 »

so i never much cared for the japanese iron chef, but i'm totally hooked on iron chef america.  does anyone else watch this?  how is it so exciting?  i decided it was the urgency of the commentary.  so i've tried to add it to my life, to inject a little excitement.  "okay, the iron greg is waking up, and it looks like he's going over to the sink to brush his teeth.  can we see what kind of toothpaste that is... crest!  interesting, i'm curious to see what he's going to do with that... okay, now he's gargling, look at that technique!"  
you guys should try it.  
or, you know, just watch iron chef america.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
iron chef america
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2006, 18:30 »

I watch the Japanese one for ONE reason; the celebrity judges' commentary. It's great. You just don't get that sort of hilarity with the American version.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Aram

iron chef america
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2006, 18:39 »

The Japanese one was funny. Bell peppers are the Master Chef's favorite ingredient, you can see him biting into one at the beginning of each show. It's so awesome. He looks so content :P

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
iron chef america
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2006, 18:53 »

Hmm . . . I'm not so sure I'd like this.  Is it made in English?  'Cause the major appeal for me of watching the Japanese version here in Australia is the amazingly over-the-top American dubbing it comes with.

That, and the possibility of seeing somebody make something completely insane like asparagus ice-cream.  Asparagus god-damn ice-cream.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
iron chef america
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2006, 19:01 »

Quote from: Inlander
'Cause the major appeal for me of watching the Japanese version here in Australia is the amazingly over-the-top American dubbing it comes with.

Exactly.

The American one is in English. technically it's more entertaining in terms of cooking, but the judges.. man.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Aram

iron chef america
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2006, 19:04 »

I love Fukkui-san. And the guy who yells his name :P
The commentator in the Japanese one is really funny looking. They only showed him like, once.

Bearer

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • The Corgi Commands Awesome
iron chef america
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2006, 19:15 »

Man, the crazy dubed version was the only reason I even watched food network.  I can't stand the new one, it's actually serious now...>_>  I mean, I can't laugh at the translations and poor dubbing ;)

the bell pepper thing WAS funny though, that always made me laugh.
Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

Aram

iron chef america
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2006, 20:39 »

The new one sucks, in my opinion. I like the commentary, but not as much, y'know?

surefunk

iron chef america
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2006, 16:57 »

the japanese one was good for some funny dubbing and a bit of kitsch, but in like five minute doses.  i don't think i ever watched a full episode of it.  as a cooking show, i think the american one is much better.  but i definitely get that if you're into the dubbing and not the cooking, "battle: iron chef version" goes to the original.  
but there's still the insane cooking ideas.  last night: bacon ice cream.

emmie

iron chef america
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2006, 22:29 »

"Is that ... CRAB??!!"

Haha, I love the Japanese food tasters. They say the funniest things.

Aram

iron chef america
« Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2006, 22:32 »

In the American one, it just seems too... simple. The Japanese one has the speldors of Kitchen Stadium, and all that, with the Master Chef presiding. This one seems to be in a small place. Also, Alton Brown is a good commentator, but he's just not up to par with Fukkui-san.

StarMinion1

• Plantmonster
iron chef america
« Reply #11 on: 25 Jan 2006, 03:44 »

Well, I like the Japanese version. There was this one show where this chef sent a number of his students to battle the Iron Chefs, and he said if they don't win, he'd go there hmself to defest the Iron Chef.

You don't really get crazy rivalries in the American version....

BiCoastal Kid

iron chef america
« Reply #12 on: 26 Jan 2006, 15:14 »

Japanese version was much better:

-Better Kitchen Stadium
-More interesting ingredients (Really... they had catfish as an ingredient here... let's try to compare this to say, sea cucumber? Maybe we can talk about some live octopus?)
-Better Commentary. The people on the Japanese version, as dumb as the dubs may be, you can tell they actually knew something and the commentary ran through the entire show. The American Version the judges are just kind of there for show.
-Less Corny. Really, in the American version, whats with the karate master guy and the whole lid flying up into the roof when the ingredient is revealed? I thought the drape being pulled off was much more dramatic anyway...
-Less Scripted. If you notice, the Americans don't get to choose who they want to face. I think that chairman guy is just trying to make himself seem more important when it's really supposed to be about food. Gawsh!
-Actually had the better Chefs. Now, I'm not saying that the new ones are bad, but besides Morimoto, all the others either have their own show on Food Netwrok(not to mention Alton Brown doing the commentary, really?)

Overall, I really think it's just an overall disgrace. I love old-school Iron Chef. It makes me angry that the original version isn't on DVD and the new crappy version is.

Stifled Dreams

iron chef america
« Reply #13 on: 27 Jan 2006, 15:52 »

Quote from: BiCoastal Kid
live octopus?

That episode basically turned me off Iron Chef forever. So gross. The tentacles didn't stop moving around, even after they weren't attatched to anything.

BiCoastal Kid

iron chef america
« Reply #14 on: 27 Jan 2006, 19:06 »

Still, excluding Morimoto, I would like to see any of the New Iron Chefs even touch a live octopus, let alone make 5 dishes out of it.

I will admit it was pretty gross. Squid, kalamari, isnt so bad with the proper spices though!

AdamIsConceited

iron chef america
« Reply #15 on: 31 Jan 2006, 04:39 »

Iron Chef Japan is awesome... I don't really like the American one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up