THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 00:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PHP! HTML! WTF?  (Read 2874 times)

nEmoGrinder

PHP! HTML! WTF?
« on: 10 May 2006, 11:45 »

ok I've got my comics coming out on a regular basis but for some reason sending them to people over msn is not working very well....

so I need to make a webpage, I posted before about what to use and I've settled with dreamweaver or go live (since everything else is in adobe) but that is not my problem.  I'm starting to get a little bit of a hang on making basic web pages BUt it seems that the majority of comic sites, including questionable content, uses php code to keep bandwidth usage low as well as making the site easy to update/browse.

so how does php work?  is this something that I could somehow learn and apply to my site within, oh, i dunno, a week?  should I stick with fully HTML or should I really be seeking professional help?  if professional experience IS the answer, does anyone want to make a site for free and then teach me how to update?!?  no?  nobody?

nEmo

Catfish_Man

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • Assorted Stuff
PHP! HTML! WTF?
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2006, 01:49 »

PHP is a full on programming language, although a relatively easy one. Not something that someone new to the field could just dive into without some work.

Unfortunately, no, I don't know anyone (professional or not) who would be willing to work for free. I'd say go with a simple static page for now; not sure what to do about archives. If you're not too concerned about bandwidth for the time being, take a look at my artwork page; Dead simple code, updated by a little shell script a friend of mine wrote.

SeanTheFilmGuy

PHP! HTML! WTF?
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2006, 20:42 »

that really is pretty simple code.  nice pics though, especially the portraits...off topicness ends now!

try using a template if you don't want to go into codding pages.  try signing up for some picture storage space, and a blog...and use that?  seems to be the dead simplest way to me...although not really pretty

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
PHP! HTML! WTF?
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2006, 21:52 »

Step 1: make a page in html & update it when you update the comic
Step 2: see if your webhost supports php & and has a *sql (mysql, postgresql, or even MS SQL) database
Step 3: if it does, see if you can learn php. if not, keep updating in straight html.

The content is more important than the format.  Way more important.  So long as you can get a page up that people can read you are taking a step ahead.

As someone has already said, php is a programming language.  In order to get the most out of it in the way that you probably want you will more than likely need to pair it with a database that will store things like your newspost, comic descriptions, titles, etc.  All of that takes a while to learn.

As an alternative, there are a few content management suites around that are built with comics in mind.  The only one I can give you any kkind of info on is called http://static.flickr.com/49/117775559_b9dd47c779_b.jpg">ATP Autosite.  It is the one that Scary Go Round uses.  I am not sure if it is any good.  Have a look around at other webcomics and see if you see any "powered by" or "managed by" links & follow them.  You might find something you can use yourself.

Hope at least some of that helps.

lb969

PHP! HTML! WTF?
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2006, 20:46 »

I can help you with your site.

I like NukePHP as its easy to use, and easy to learn. and there is a fairly large community to support it.

Oh and its Free.

Also there are a number of comic modules available.

Its also very easy to setup forums, and upload new modules.

If you would like, I can help you set up your site, and help you learn PHP if you are interested.

Also, PHP has more of a... finished look over most homebuilt HTTP sites.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
PHP! HTML! WTF?
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2006, 07:04 »

Get a blog.

No seriously, some of the blogging places and tools around could work for this kind of thing.

Also, look at places like Toothpaste for Dinner, you don't need anything fancy.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

iconoclast

• Plantmonster
  • quaker oats for you, it's the right thing to do
PHP! HTML! WTF?
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2006, 08:15 »

also, you'll save just as much space by making sure your comic images are of a reasonable size. try to push their size down enough.

Luke

PHP! HTML! WTF?
« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2006, 11:12 »

I just taught myself enough PHP to convert my main pages entirely from HTML. I am very happy with myself right now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up