THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 12:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: quality vs time (newbie comic)  (Read 18702 times)

nEmoGrinder

quality vs time (newbie comic)
« on: 07 Feb 2006, 09:00 »

I have attempted web comics before and totally failed (as well as flash cartoons and art postings, I'm just one big failure).

I think the reason why i never get anything off the ground is because I am a bit of a perfectionist.  Mix that with the fact I have horrible organizational skills and it all comes to one result:  No time.

So, now that I have found inspiration to begin ANOTHER web comic, one that I want to stay around long enough to maybe even, dare I say it, get a following, I have come to a conclusion that I will have to give something up; my time or quality of the drawing.

there is a defninite balance that must be found between how much time you want to spend on a panel and how good you want it to look (details and such).

So I have gone from a detailed style to a slightly less detailed style to the following, a stripped down style that looks great (IMO) but only takes a fraction of time to draw (from initial sketch to finished product).

What I'd like from this thread is some feedback on the above picture (whether I took out too much detail, whetther I still have too much) and discus what other people find works best for them.  please post your own work so we can all see what works for everyone!

nEmo

monkeyangst

• Not quite a lurker
    • Monkey Law
« Reply #1 on: 07 Feb 2006, 12:51 »

The detail is very good overall, but there is one area where you could use more... the eyes. Looks like he's had big green buttons sewn onto his face. Give him some pupils, maybe even a Jacques-esque highlight in the eye, and it will look killer.

<inane music trivia nerd moment>
Has anyone ever seen any shirts saying "The Pixies?" Don't they all just say "Pixies?"
</inane music trivia nerd moment>
Monkey Law - A webcomic for the highly evolved.

almost thursday

« Reply #2 on: 07 Feb 2006, 14:08 »

i actually like the eyes that way. makes it seem more stylised. i think this drawing is top, dude.

Stifled Dreams

« Reply #3 on: 07 Feb 2006, 14:10 »

I'm nosy... could we please see a detailed drawing for comparison? Feel free to decline.

monkeyangst

• Not quite a lurker
    • Monkey Law
« Reply #4 on: 07 Feb 2006, 16:55 »

I agree. Let's see a comparison with the highly-detailed one. Unless the detailed one is just far and away superior (and I'm of the school that believes that detail is more of a hinderance than a help in comics), I say run with what you've got up. It's good.

About the eyes... yeah, they're highly stylized, and ultimately it's a question of what the artist likes. They just creep me out, that's all...
Monkey Law - A webcomic for the highly evolved.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #5 on: 07 Feb 2006, 16:56 »

I do like the eyes in general, but I think they need pupils. A healthy medium.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

nEmoGrinder

« Reply #6 on: 08 Feb 2006, 07:11 »

Ok, you're right monkeyangst, the shirt does just say pixies.  I was just too lazy to actually draw the shirt.  its just a ref sketch, lol. (it is my favourite shirt though, its got the guitar and bass tabs for bone machine on the front and tour dates on the back)

So you want a comparison eh?  I actually don't do as much cartoon work as I used to.  I would actually compare this more to me "real" art (I realize saying this on a comic forum may result in my death).  Basically with my other work and my new cartoon, I'm working from actual photographs, most of the people in my comic are real.  so here's what my usual photo art would look like

more to be foudn at
http://nemogrinder.deviantart.com

One of these drawings can take a few hourse to get just right (I draw large, my book is...I dunno 14 or 16" tall...or was until I lost it.)

In this case I guess a picture of the character would help as well

OMG ITZ ME-ZORZ!!!

Ya, about the eyes, I dunno.  I find I put a lot of work into eyes and I'm afraid that I'll be taking to long with the overall art.  I'll continue with experimenting.

It's not a question of what the artist likes though, its more about what his girlfriend says (especially since she'll be in the comic as well...)

Thanks for the feedback!!  I wouldnt mind seeing some of YOUR examples of detail and how much to have.

nEmo

Mrono

« Reply #7 on: 08 Feb 2006, 09:12 »

ooo, I like your style.

I don't have any drawing talent so I enjoy other peoples instead.

Mollinda

« Reply #8 on: 09 Feb 2006, 13:15 »

The new style you've developed is quite similar to mine. I actually prefer a more sketchy look, so a thumbs up from me!

nEmoGrinder

« Reply #9 on: 10 Feb 2006, 12:31 »

damnit...I've got my first few comics done but I'm having issues with hands.  I've been practicing and for the most part I've gotten a hell of a lot better but oh man some poses are just impossible.  I'll try to get a few shots up soon enough but this is what I was thinking:

ARE HANDS REALLY NECESSARY?!?!  would it look too stoopid to just have a mitten style hand?  or could I chalk it up to being my 'style'?  I'm going to play around with the idea, because I know i will run into issues at some point.  maybe I'll find a happy medium where I can do a little of both?  does this sound stoopid or do you think it is reasonable?  or if you have any tips on its execution that would be wicked too!

nEmo

Stifled Dreams

« Reply #10 on: 10 Feb 2006, 14:21 »

Practice hands. All the time. They get easier. I like to start with a mitten hand, and then add details. If anyone cares how, I'll show you - it is a ton easier that way.

Mollinda

« Reply #11 on: 10 Feb 2006, 15:58 »

I demand perfect hands, and I thank god for that little undo button when I'm drawng them :D

Basically choose a style you can draw easily. And stick with it. And do it well.

Duchess Tapioca

• Larger than most fish
    • Somebody wrote something about me on the internet!
« Reply #12 on: 10 Feb 2006, 16:03 »

It wouldn't be stupid if they actually wore mittens all the time, for some valid reason... Like they worked at a zoo and got some horrible hand eating disease transmitted by the praying mantis manifested from their inner jealousy of hands. You could also come up with something creative that makes sense; they live in southern Chile and dislike frostbite,but like clamy mitten hands.

As far as art goes, I would say to spend enough time on it that you are always doing the best you can and are proud of your work, and you will get faster as you practice.

Stifled Dreams

« Reply #13 on: 10 Feb 2006, 18:09 »

Yeah, seriously, I don't think I'm gonna critique your style, because it is yours - and I think you're the type of person who will keep improving it as you draw more often.

mrtuesday42

inherently creepy
« Reply #14 on: 12 Feb 2006, 13:08 »

wow that is mad creepy...cuz my hair does the same thing...and ur black hoodie and wow its just a lot like me so its totally creepy...and idk with teh art the arms/torso looks crudely done compared with what ur capable of...nice job tho
Pages: [1]   Go Up