THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 04:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Makeover  (Read 16532 times)

BSG

• Not quite a lurker
    • http://www.zentatsu.com
Makeover
« on: 05 Feb 2006, 11:35 »

I had never done a character sketch before, and had always done hard line art.  Needless to say, I didn't know what I was missing.  I've since given BSG a little makeover [If you have NO clue what I'm talking about, go here] and swooshed his hair over.  Furthermore, I've given him a little bit more character with some anime influences.

Hope you like it:

Any suggestions to improve him?

BSG
You are the reason God invented shooting people in the face.
I am the reason you invented God.

BSG

• Not quite a lurker
Makeover
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2006, 17:12 »

I'm going to make one bump, which is probably going to make people hate me, but that's all.  Just one.

Rawr and Stuff

Makeover
« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2006, 18:15 »

Alright, so because you bumped, gonna reply.

You definitely have your own style working for ya, but I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of anime artwork so the anime influences...are optional to me.

But I like the look of the sketches and it seems a bit better then the last comics you posted. I'd like to see some colored versions of this style...that'd be cool. But good work.

BSG

• Not quite a lurker
Makeover
« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2006, 19:35 »

I'm actually considering coloring the sketches and then hardlining the sketch a bit, deleting the light sketch and doing the comic as a sketch-comic completely, as I enjoy it far more than the cartooned comics I posted formerly.

Oh, and I really am not an anime type, either, but I have to admit the style snuck in without my knowledge :-P

Thanks for the feedback.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Makeover
« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2006, 22:08 »

i'd suggest going over your sketches with a firmer hand afterwards so that your lines look smoother, then erasing the sketch lines.  i can see the style that you're shooting for, and it's nice to see someone who is going for something that hasn't already been done to death.  i think that if you can firm up your lines it'll start to look really good.

Mollinda

Makeover
« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2006, 13:29 »

I think the fact the anime 'snuck in' speaks volumes.

You're pulling on influences around you and moulding it into your own style. That's great - a true artist changes and evolves, never be scared to try something new! I mean look at QC - it has changed so much over the years and just gets better and better!

I've just changed the layout, the speech bubbles, the line thickness etc with my comic and basically I love it! If I feel like doing something different, I will - a new comic will always be a work in progress.

Sorry I'm rambling - basically it's great to see someone evolving their own style :D

BSG

• Not quite a lurker
Makeover
« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2006, 18:42 »

I guess you're right.  It's very interesting to look at it that way, but I can see exactly what you mean.  I've NEVER sat down and attempted to draw a specific style.  

One time I tried to draw like Jeph and it ended up looking ugly, and I immediatly stopped and went back to experimenting with my own style and letting it take it's own shape.  

I can definetly see the influences some of my characters have by Jeph's drawing, but NONE of that is because of the one time I tried to mimic his style.  It's all collective, which I hadn't noticed until your post.

Thanks a bunches for your comments.  I'm going to try doing a little more sketching with this character tonight.  You can see a gross attempt at hardlining and coloring here:

The colors were random, and accidently that close.  Ooops.  I really don't like how these turned out.  Any suggestions?

BSG
Pages: [1]   Go Up