THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 15:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: learning how to learn... help!  (Read 18348 times)

minignome

learning how to learn... help!
« on: 23 Feb 2006, 06:39 »

a lot of people here have posted some great artwork in general and I was looking for a bit of help for a new guy who wants to learn.

What do you do to start really learning how to draw?  Is it just sitting down day after day and trying randomly or is there some hidden process of try this for a bit, then try this for a bit, etc.  Is taking a class the way to go?

On a similar note, I was wondering how strong the correlation is between being able to draw by hand and being able to work digitally, on a tablet or whatever.  I would guess the theories (shading etc.) would be similar, but I really don't know.

Any input would be appreciated ;o)

mrtuesday42

« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2006, 08:10 »

ok...well i would like to direct you to teh "draw like jeph" thread as it has tutorials and input on my own drawing endeavors and i think that it would help you get a base down...and cuz no one has posted recently...anways...

start with stick figures! not the pointy ones u drew when u were 3 but teh ones with elbows and knees and shoulder and hips...work with positioning them first...then take the stick figures and make boxes out of them like a body...torso biceps etc etc and work with that...the hardest part is the neck and teh head so idk just work simply with that till you have something...then just keep trying!

for things...just sit and look around and draw what ever you see...a pen a book whatever and just work with that...good luck!

torg

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2006, 10:34 »

Well, my digital works are way more better than my works on dead trees, so i guess there IS a difference.
and yes, you have to draw a lot. only practice will help you getting better. practice  practise practise.....

Sean C

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2006, 10:21 »

You really learn to draw when you really feel dedicated to learning. The real learning begins when you discover a passion for art.

Draw like crazy. Draw anything. Draw everything you see. Get anatomy books. Study other artists. You'll eventually find your niche.

Sean C

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2006, 10:21 »

You really learn to draw when you really feel dedicated to learning. The real learning begins when you discover a passion for art.

Draw like crazy. Draw anything. Draw everything you see. Get anatomy books. Study other artists. You'll eventually find your niche.

lexxie_lizzie

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2006, 12:56 »

draw-whore is a good method. just draw anything and everything. things in your head and things in real life. things from photos, things from kiddies picture books. one time, someone might ask you to draw something,a nd you'll be able to draw that thing. and even if it doesn't turn out good, it's there!

Matt

« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2006, 17:25 »

The first step is definitely to draw so much that you get your initial thirty thousand bad drawings out of the way first.

At least that's the optimal way. Me, I just drove right in.  The more you draw, the better you get, yup.  I personally prefer to go around and try mimicking styles/poses of other artists, then see if I can draw them within my own style. THen I mess around until I think something looks right, then I repeat.

Get a sketchbook, too.  Then every day, try to fill at least one page (cram it full) with sketches.

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2006, 04:36 »

what helps is just randomly throughout the day, take the time to REALLY look at something. it'll gradually help your ability to improvise/draw from memory
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

minignome

« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2006, 05:36 »

thanks guys, I'm now officially hard at work on this ;o)

pencilears

« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2006, 16:55 »

doodling is pretty much all that I do. if you want a good art site you could check out deviantart, they have a lot of good tutorials http://www.deviantart.com/ certainly helped me out a bunch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up