THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 08 May 2024, 07:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: knitting!  (Read 44564 times)

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
knitting!
« on: 17 Feb 2006, 13:38 »

i like to knit. and i just got 450g of sari silk yarn off ebay. it's like a rainbow + scary "breakfast cereal" + flowers + crack spun into yarn. (see washed-out photo.) but now i have to figure out what to do with it.. if anyone has ideas, i'd love to hear them. and, what have people knitted?
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

heather

• Emoticontraindication
knitting!
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2006, 14:12 »

I have not been able to knit since I got to Australia. My stash is back in the states. And I've had essentially no money until now. I am itching to get going again.

THIS WILL CHANGE SOON. I CAN GUARANTEEEEE!!!

Edit: As far as that yarn goes, it would make an EXCELLENT bag. Perhaps get some bamboo handles for it?

darkhorizons

knitting!
« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2006, 17:32 »

Only on the QC forums would the word 'knitting' be followed with an exclamation mark.

CourtCat

knitting!
« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2006, 19:31 »

I beg to differ - on the other forums I frequent, not only is knitting followed by an exclamation point, but it's in the section set aside for art (vs. music, politics, spiritualism, etc.) - it amuses me in both places, though.  And yes, I agree with whoever it was that said it should be a bag - although funky 70s plastic handles might be better than bamboo.

hoax

• Plantmonster
knitting!
« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2006, 21:31 »

Mostly I can knit only really easy things.  Like scarves.  They're just long straight strips.  I've also made a couple of boring beanie-type hats, and one EFFING AWESOME (imo) hat with earflaps and braids+tassles.
"Don't worry, I don't have low self-esteem.  It's a mistake.  I have low esteem for everyone else."
--Daria Morgendorffer

GebStar

• Furry furrier
knitting!
« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2006, 01:03 »

In 8th grade I knitted a patch which was part of a huge blanket which was given out, among with many thousands (maybe not that many, but a few at least) to the homeless of sydney. That made me feel special. I haven't knitted since.
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
knitting!
« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2006, 09:11 »

well remember, Geb:
http://www.coolboysknit.com/sitestuff/cbkhead.jpg" width="600">

heather

• Emoticontraindication
knitting!
« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2006, 16:03 »

Truer words have never been knitted.

Stifled Dreams

knitting!
« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2006, 16:19 »

Teaching my brother how to knit... didn't work out too well.

I knitted the hat in my avatar! And tonight I'm fixing the scarf that I haven't worked on for like a month.

GebStar

• Furry furrier
knitting!
« Reply #9 on: 18 Feb 2006, 19:20 »

I'd like to start knitting again, but I really don't have the time.
Or the skill, I'm useless at tieing on and off.
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
knitting!
« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2006, 01:19 »

My sister is currently learning from my aunt. I haven't got the patience for it. This is pretty funny, since I somehow find no trouble in using one of these for hours on end.

Oh, well. Now I'll have something to do with all that yarn, since I never got around to getting a loom. Thanks, seeeeestar!
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

SailorPunk

• Obscure cultural reference
    • http://www.xanga.com/moonrose
knitting!
« Reply #11 on: 06 Mar 2006, 14:03 »

i LOVE to knit! i made my boyfriend an awesome flamey sweater for christmas and even though the sleeves are a bit too short he still wears it (that's real love right there, folks)

i have also made copious amounts of scarves, hats, baby sweaters and bags!

my fave yarn is noro kuryon..it is so HEAVEN to work with!
...really polite and kind of squishy...

Emma

knitting!
« Reply #12 on: 07 Mar 2006, 06:19 »

Yay! I love knitting. It's so addictive, although I'm not very good... I've jsut finished knitting a cream coloured scarf for myself.

ChaoticEvil

knitting!
« Reply #13 on: 07 Mar 2006, 09:18 »

*coughs* I don't knit..

but my sister does..

and it irritates me...

stop glorifying this? Please?

All i can hears is *clack clack clack clack*

heretic

knitting!
« Reply #14 on: 07 Mar 2006, 09:47 »

Quote from: hoax
Mostly I can knit only really easy things.  Like scarves.  They're just long straight strips.

not always! i refer you to the pics i just posted in the pic thread. that scarf is zig-zaggy and awesome. not straight and boring. the best part is, the way it curvs fits it around my neck so perfectly, sometimes i can wrap it in suck a way as to cover my ears as well

xladymacx

knitting
« Reply #15 on: 08 Mar 2006, 16:41 »

I love to knit, however I usually don't have time.  Actually, I taught like 40 people how to knit today (I did a seminar for Seminar Day at my HS).  I've knitted a bunch of things, like hata, scarves, a vest, one mitten (yes, only one.  I lost motivation) etc.

In terms of that yarn...I agree with the bag idea.  It also might make a neat shawl.  It's pretty sweet yarn.  Good luck! :)

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
knitting!
« Reply #16 on: 09 Mar 2006, 08:32 »

i wish i could knit. seriously... i cannot do it. that stockinette thing, or whatever... i cannot do the other one. purl? knit? whatever it is. i can only do the one that gets me the garter stitch. is there some secret that i don't get? most likely.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

SailorPunk

knitting!
« Reply #17 on: 09 Mar 2006, 09:24 »

you need to learn to purl. in order to make stockinette stitch you do a row of knit then a row of purl, rinse and repeat.

to purl you have the yarn in front to begin, stick the second needle down and to the back, wrap around and voila! it's kinda a backwards knit.....

i'm sure there are tutorials online somewhere!

once you get the hang of purling it's actually better than knitting because i find it's harder to drop stitches.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
knitting!
« Reply #18 on: 09 Mar 2006, 13:07 »

you can do it yelley!!

oh and i decided to use that yarn to make this sweater, with black for the MC and the colorful stuff for the CC.

SailorPunk

knitting!
« Reply #19 on: 09 Mar 2006, 13:46 »

oooh i love that sweater! i was going to make that one but "life" got in the way...damn you life!

Stifled Dreams

knitting!
« Reply #20 on: 09 Mar 2006, 13:49 »

What a cute sweater! I haven't been knitting lately, because like SailorPunk said, life has gotten in the way. I hope that I can knit lots of wonderful things in my downtime this summer, though <3

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
knitting!
« Reply #21 on: 09 Mar 2006, 17:38 »

well i know how the stitch is done... and i can do it.... but it takes so long and my fingers ache after i do about 5.... something tells me that this means i am doing it wrong.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
knitting!
« Reply #22 on: 09 Mar 2006, 17:45 »

You are not supposed to stab yourself with the needles. You should try not doing that. Y'know… see what happens.

heather

• Emoticontraindication
knitting!
« Reply #23 on: 10 Mar 2006, 03:41 »

There WILL be a stash increase expedition this weekend, I gurarantee you!!!

I'm in the middle of designing some kind of sweater. It will probably be a square neck (I love square necks), perhaps a zip up with a hood, high waist and kind of long. Something to get cozy in. Perhaps some kind of contrast stiching to embellesh it a bit, who knows! And POCKETS. OH YES THE POCKETS.

Hopefully I will have a design completed after I buy the yarn.

REMEMBER TO SWATCH, ALL THE TIME.

(ok I'm done now)

slinkyindieninja

• Plantmonster
knitting!
« Reply #24 on: 16 Mar 2006, 13:00 »

haha! Knitting takes over the QC forum, finally!

This is one of two forums I regularly visit which is not about crafting.

bainidhe_dub, that sweater pattern is gorgeous. I wish I had sizes of needles other than 15!

Michey

knitting!
« Reply #25 on: 16 Mar 2006, 22:49 »

I wish I knew how to knit. Seems like a fun pastime.
I do, however, enjoy cross stitching. Here are two of my works-in-progress.

heather

• Emoticontraindication
knitting!
« Reply #26 on: 17 Mar 2006, 01:13 »

I have started my hoodie! So far I have finished the front two panels up to the armpits. I am going to do the back and sleeves, and then join them at the yoke and work it as one piece up through the hood. The edging is seed stitch both at the bottom and the midde. There will be seed stitch lining the cuffs of the sleeves and the edge of the hood as well. The seed stitch areas will, once the garment is finished, have pink yarn woven into it to look like contrast stitching like you'd do with sewing. All in all a good project so far! I get a lot knit on the train to and from work.

(Yes, I know some of the brown in the left half is off - it's the same dye lot, too. I haven't decided if I'll start over yet.)

devils_daughter

knitting!
« Reply #27 on: 19 Mar 2006, 13:23 »

Quote from: Michey
I wish I knew how to knit. Seems like a fun pastime.
I do, however, enjoy cross stitching. Here are two of my works-in-progress.

Ahh I miss cross-stitching, and knitting. I started sewing up my cuddly animal kits today, a fox cub and a bat. Just need to buy some stuffing tomorrow but I know I'll end up coming home with a cross stitch kit too.

SailorPunk

knitting!
« Reply #28 on: 19 Mar 2006, 14:06 »

Heather - that is sad about your dye lot. I have also had that happen. It fills me with boiling rage.
Is it maybe just that part of the ball?? Maybe just that part was off and if you started over from a different part of the ball it would be ok?

heather

• Emoticontraindication
knitting!
« Reply #29 on: 20 Mar 2006, 01:06 »

You can't really tell in normal light. And I'm going to be the one wearing it, so it's not really that big of a deal. It'll have "charm"! :D

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
knitting!
« Reply #30 on: 20 Mar 2006, 02:01 »

There's this extremely camp chinese guy I know who knits people scarves for their birthdays.

It is awesome.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Stifled Dreams

knitting!
« Reply #31 on: 08 Apr 2006, 15:19 »

So, some of you might be interested to know that I was at the bookstore the other day. Browsing through the magazines, I ended up picking up the spring/summer issue of "Vogue Knitting."

The clothes in this magazine are basically the sexiest knit-things ever. I don't have near enough skill to make most of them, and I think that they all were probably knit with very expensive yarns. I found an adorable skirt that looks doable, though, so I'll eventually give it a shot. I've wanted to knit a skirt for a while!

A quick browse on their website reveals that they are affiliated with two magazines with easier (but still nice) patterns that I think I'ma check out some time.

heather

• Emoticontraindication
knitting!
« Reply #32 on: 08 Apr 2006, 20:04 »

Vogue Knitting was always a bit too trendy for me. Their designs are good, but not really things that are wearable. They're more art pieces than anything else.

Check out Interweave Knits. I find it's a lot better, and the patterns are easiser to do and much more wearable and sensible.

I'm very sad I can't find these magazines here in Australia. I haven't gotten a magazine for about 6 months now. :\

Stifled Dreams

knitting!
« Reply #33 on: 08 Apr 2006, 21:42 »

Interweave Knits? I'll check it out! Thanks, I'm new to the world of knitting magazines.

heather

• Emoticontraindication
knitting!
« Reply #34 on: 09 Apr 2006, 03:43 »

If you want really easy stuff, check out Family Circle Easy Knitting, too.  :)

heather

• Emoticontraindication
knitting!
« Reply #35 on: 09 Apr 2006, 03:55 »

Also, SWEATER UPDATE:

thehoopiestfrood

knitting!
« Reply #36 on: 09 Apr 2006, 14:24 »

Aw man, that's awesome!

JoshWW

knitting!
« Reply #37 on: 10 Apr 2006, 16:34 »

People knit cozies for everything!

(Well... that's crocheted... but still...)

Kukushka

knitting!
« Reply #38 on: 11 Apr 2006, 10:38 »

My grandma taught me how to knit years and years ago. She only just started giving me lessons when she died, though, so I never got particularly good at it. And, since I was using all of her equipment (needles, yarn), I didn't have access to it anymore once my aunt sold everything in the house.

I'd really love to get back into it, though. It was relaxing. The only problem I had was that my fingers get stiff very easily, so knitting would sometimes make them quite sore.

As for that yarn, I agree that it would look fabulous as a bag. I think thick plastic white handles would look great. You know, the ones from the 60s... I tried to find a picture, but I failed miserably.

shatteredshards

knitting!
« Reply #39 on: 26 May 2006, 23:55 »

I started my first clapotis 2 days ago.

I'm using Online Linie 139 Cicada, because it's a very soft-textured yarn. That and who wants to spend $90 on Lion & Lamb for their first one.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
knitting!
« Reply #40 on: 02 Jul 2006, 04:05 »

Hat! Quick and easy, I adore short-row shaping:D I finished this in a day.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v352/redglasscurls/hat-1.jpg">
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v352/redglasscurls/hatback.jpg">

Ignore the bra straps and weird hair, I just woke up
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

KibBen

• Emoticontraindication
  • Nyom.
knitting!
« Reply #41 on: 02 Jul 2006, 09:30 »

I aproove completely. I love knitting, and crocheting. I'm sorry to say, however, that I don't have pictures of anything I've done.
Who travels back in time in an Alfa Romeo?

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
knitting!
« Reply #42 on: 02 Jul 2006, 16:03 »

Kib- I just watched Hitchcock's Vertigo again the other day, your avatar reminds me of the opening bit, with the eye and the weird screen-saver hypnosis things
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
knitting!
« Reply #43 on: 02 Jul 2006, 16:39 »

Quote from: ChaoticEvil

All i can hears is *clack clack clack clack*

?

i used to be able to knit, but i've done nothing of the sort for many years.  i have my own needles somewhere though
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

meg-kate

knitting!
« Reply #44 on: 02 Jul 2006, 22:19 »

I'm knitting a scarf at the moment, it's pretty plain and boring but the yarn is sooo soft, i love it!

Lines

• Awakened
knitting!
« Reply #45 on: 03 Jul 2006, 17:13 »

i am knitting a skirt! whee! i had yellow and orange variegated yarn that was sitting around doing nothing, so skirt it is.

and about 2.5 months ago, i knitted myself a luggy bonnet (see website at bottom for what it is) with stars. even though it was though it was the middle of march and not knit hat weather anymore, i had a pattern for it in a book and i was bored. and i wanted to knit something that wasn't a scarf. i love that hat. to bad it's so freaking hot now i can't wear it.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
knitting!
« Reply #46 on: 04 Jul 2006, 11:41 »

i want to knit a hat like red's :(
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

Lise

• Furry furrier
    • Face Me
knitting!
« Reply #47 on: 11 Jul 2006, 12:54 »

I got into knitting as a sort of stress reliever, though all it really made me do was curse whenever I screwed up a stitch and develop a permanent squint in my eyes.

I actually haven't picked up my yarn and needles in over half a year. Perhaps I should start up again. I made a few scarves for friends, and somehow, SOMEHOW, managed to complete a hat.

They're still nothing compared to Kathy Bateman's hats http://www.platypusdreams.com/. I'd like to learn how to knit using circular needles or knitting in the round. http://www.knittinghelp.com was my life.

Good luck to fellow knitters!

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
knitting!
« Reply #48 on: 11 Jul 2006, 18:17 »

Quote from: El-Rodente
i want to knit a hat like red's :(

I can send you th patten link, if you'd like? It's actually really easy, you only have to know the basic knit stitch.

bujiatang

knitting!
« Reply #49 on: 12 Jul 2006, 13:14 »

I haven't knitted anything in months.  The last thing I knitted was a hat for my nephew.  WAAAAAY too big for a 1 year old.  perhaps this winter it will fit...

I loooved the Icelandic wool.  the fibers are longer so it doesn't pill as much.

I have a terrible habit of useing the wrong size needles.  The scarf I made for myself I call the denser genser, because I don't need to wear a sweater with it.  It called for 6mm needles, and I used 3.5mm... it stopps the wind. and small arms.

[/i]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up