THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 02:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: knitting!  (Read 43224 times)

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
knitting!
« Reply #50 on: 12 Jul 2006, 13:58 »

Geeze, a scarf on 3.5mm? It must have taken you for goddamn ever
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Lise

• Furry furrier
    • Face Me
knitting!
« Reply #51 on: 12 Jul 2006, 14:13 »

Yeah, a couple of friends of mine were knitting scarves with borrowed needles from their Aunts. SIZE ZERO needles. Size 0.

The yarn they purchased was meant for Size 8. They're insane, the scarves took weeks to knit. It shouldn't take more than a week. And I've tried to knit with Size 15 needles on Size 8 yarn, it looked awful.

Sometimes it's worth it to save the $5 on new needles if you need say, Size 11 and already own Size 10, but you sure save yourself some grief.

PS. Red, I like that hat you made, too. Did you knit in a round, or use straight needles and stitch it together at the end with a needle? I have trouble doing the latter.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
knitting!
« Reply #52 on: 13 Jul 2006, 04:13 »

I knit it entirely on straight needles, but with short-row shaping I only have to sew up a single seam which is already curved exactly how I want it to be. Also, I didn't have to weave in the ends from any of those color changes, which is certifiably awsome;)
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

heather

• Emoticontraindication
knitting!
« Reply #53 on: 22 Jul 2006, 20:20 »

KNITTING :)

I have at least three projects going on right now. My current one is a cropped hoodie. I should have pictures of the finished object in the next day or two.

Stifled Dreams

knitting!
« Reply #54 on: 22 Jul 2006, 20:30 »

Have I talked about this? I'm finally finishing a project I started some months ago. A Knitty pattern, a toy nautiloid! It is cute and sort of geeky and it will make a nice gift. I'll post pictures when I'm done!

ALSO:
Does anyone know knitting rules for airplanes? You can take wooden needles on, right? I'm always terrified that I'll bring my knitting and they'll take it away from me because they will be all, "YOU WILL KILL SOMEONE WITH THOSE NEEDLES!"

(I'm not great at knitting, but I really enjoy it. It's relaxing! And I can multitask. This year I brought a scarf I was working on to school and I would knit during class. My teachers were pissed until I raised my hands and took part in the discussion, and then they stopped caring - it was fun.)

bujiatang

knitting!
« Reply #55 on: 22 Jul 2006, 22:13 »

a little over two weeks, I knitted it ribbed. 42 stitches across, knit 7 pearl 7...

I think bamboo are kosher...

heather

• Emoticontraindication
knitting!
« Reply #56 on: 22 Jul 2006, 23:29 »

SD, the times I brought my needles (bamboo) on the plane, I had no trouble whatsoever. Technically, the TSA is supposed to allow all types of needles on the plane, but not all airports follow these guidelines, sadly. :(

There are 30 pages of discussion about this here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=14840.0

This will give you various experiences with needles on planes.

Lines

• Awakened
knitting!
« Reply #57 on: 23 Jul 2006, 07:12 »

Quote from: Stifled Dreams
Have I talked about this? I'm finally finishing a project I started some months ago. A Knitty pattern, a toy nautiloid! It is cute and sort of geeky and it will make a nice gift. I'll post pictures when I'm done!

i saww those! they are really cute. i love knitty.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

heather

• Emoticontraindication
knitting!
« Reply #58 on: 24 Jul 2006, 21:16 »

I finished my hoodie!!! :)

Lines

• Awakened
knitting!
« Reply #59 on: 25 Jul 2006, 07:19 »

yay!

i wish it was cold... :(
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

ruyi

• Beyoncé
knitting!
« Reply #60 on: 25 Jul 2006, 17:13 »

wowww heather. that is so awesome!

Lise

• Furry furrier
    • Face Me
knitting!
« Reply #61 on: 10 Aug 2006, 11:19 »

OMG HEATHER I LOVE IT <3 <3 <3.

I was fortunate enough to see that hoodie in the makings ;). (I asked heather a knitting question and she was kind enough to take pictures of her knitting for me).

If it's not too much trouble to ask, is it ok if you share the pattern with me :)? I'd love to try making that!

PS: YEYY I just finished making my leg warmers, and I love them! They're very easy to make (I'm just a knitting beginner, and I had no trouble), here's the pattern in case anybody wants to try them:

Materials:

2 skeins Cascade Yarns Cascade 220 in light blue (or other color)
2 skeins Madil Kid Seta in light blue (or other matching color)
One 12 inch (30-cm) circular needle size US 8 (this needle is quite small, so it might be more comfortable for some people with double-pointed needles)

Directions:

Hold the two yarns together and cast on 46 stitches. Join for working in the round and work in knit 1, purl 1 pattern until it is approximately 26 in. (66 cm) long. Then bind off in the rib pattern and weave in ends. Do the second leg warmer exactly the same!

Note: they're supposed to be one-size-fits all but my calves are sort of skinny, so they tend to slip off. If I were you I'd measure your calves and cast-on accordingly :).

Here's the finished project! (does not include fuzzy duck slippers):

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up