Poll

Do you have a MySpace account?

Yes – and it, like, OMYGOD rawks!
- 6 (17.1%)
Yes – and I wish I didn’t join
- 15 (42.9%)
No – but I’m considering getting one
- 0 (0%)
No – and I’m not touching them things with a goddamn barge-pole, ya hear me!
- 14 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: 18 Feb 2006, 09:25

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MySpace  (Read 12035 times)

zutonna

MySpace
« on: 18 Feb 2006, 09:25 »

What do you think of MySpace?

A friend yesterday was complaining to me about how so few people at school have a MySpace account, and I felt guilty for making her feel lonely, web-wise (? if that makes sense).

It made me think: is it worth getting one of these accounts?
I've never been bothered so far because it just looks like some huge attention-whoring community.   – But I am willing to be “enlightened” :)
In addition, I was wondering how MySpace compares to Bebo, as I am more familiar with the latter service.

So, post your criticism, good and/or bad!

Edit: Oops! Moderators, move this topic to the Computer forum if you feel it doesn’t belong here.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
MySpace
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2006, 09:36 »

It is pretty much an attention-whoring community. Avoid it like the plague.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Stifled Dreams

MySpace
« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2006, 09:58 »

Waste of time. I've got one, and I almost never use it - and when I do, I'm amazed that my friends bother sending me all these chain letters.

Coolhanderik

MySpace
« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2006, 10:11 »

^ what they said

siobhan

MySpace
« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2006, 10:13 »

my friend list on myspace is the same people who are on my msn list so it doesn't have much of a purpose for me.

Michey

MySpace
« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2006, 10:49 »

The chain letters are getting old and annoying, and the people with 25754 friends....well, those people need a life.

But aside from all that, I really have nothing against MySpace. Because of it, I've gotten in touch with 2 friends that I havn't talked to/heard from in years.
So as much as it is full of attention whores, it does have it's redeeming qualities.

Micolithe

MySpace
« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2006, 13:31 »

The "Anti-Way: MCR SUCKS!" group is the best Myspace group EVER. (To clarify, because of all the stupid 12 year olds that try to tell us that our opinion is wrong. And then make unfounded claims. It's hilarious.)

I never read bulletins, and I post nonsensical ones.

trolley

MySpace
« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2006, 13:59 »

I'm a member. Soley because you need to join to look at all the stupid photos people post. i currently have no friends on my completely blank page.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
MySpace
« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2006, 14:33 »

I use it for event planning and also for working a wonderful prank on a friend.  (I also started up the QC myspace group, check sig.  Some of the folks from here are there!)

I also found some cool people I didn't get to know better, or want to get to know again from there.  Yes, the majority is bad, but myspace can be what you make of it.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
MySpace
« Reply #9 on: 18 Feb 2006, 14:48 »

Facebook is much nicer, if anything just for the fact that yo ucan do to someone's page without having the fear of seizures or hearing Hawthorne Heights playing. The lack of customization is great.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
MySpace
« Reply #10 on: 18 Feb 2006, 16:59 »

Quote from: trolley
I'm a member. Soley because you need to join to look at all the stupid photos people post. i currently have no friends on my completely blank page.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
MySpace
« Reply #11 on: 18 Feb 2006, 19:07 »

I don't have one, solely because I don't need one.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

visceralviscous

• Emoticontraindication
    • lastfm!
MySpace
« Reply #12 on: 18 Feb 2006, 19:39 »

i like how i can discover local bands, and find out when/where they're playing and so on. but that's the main reason i use it whatsoever.. it's basically a stupid one-up contest between redundant scene kids.

Duchess Tapioca

• Larger than most fish
    • Somebody wrote something about me on the internet!
MySpace
« Reply #13 on: 18 Feb 2006, 19:54 »

It's just a website.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
MySpace
« Reply #14 on: 18 Feb 2006, 20:37 »

I use it to get tour dates on my favourite bands (read: Type O Negative, KMFDM, NIN etc  not Underoath,Atreyu etc).
And I post ridiculous nonsense comments on my friend's profiles.
I had one or two people from here on it but they turned out to be myspace whore's who spammed me so I deleted them.
My page is pretty plain and well coded.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

nescience

MySpace
« Reply #15 on: 19 Feb 2006, 03:09 »

I'm surprised I'm the only one who voted OMYGODRAWKS.  I'm on it purely for the sheer enjoyment of leaving NSFW comments on my friends' profiles.  Now that I know who's on it, I don't look at anyone's profile but my friends'.

I can't go to a bar in SF without hearing someone say, "OMG, you're on MYSPACE?! Me too!" or "Did you see Kelly's new comment??  OH SHIT~~~" and such.

jake-s

MySpace
« Reply #16 on: 19 Feb 2006, 07:58 »

i joined it but i prefer bebo (and i HATE chain emails)

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
MySpace
« Reply #17 on: 19 Feb 2006, 09:52 »

This poll needs a fifth option: "I've got one, and I think it's okay".

Because that sums me up right there. I've got one, and I've got a group of friends on there, and I avoid the attention whores because they aren't the types of people with whom I usually associate, but that's about it. It's not this terrible place full of whiney emo slut-kids like people make it out to be, but neither is it the promised land.

Much like everywhere else on the internet, then.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

ramenXnoodles

MySpace
« Reply #18 on: 19 Feb 2006, 10:03 »

Yeah, I have Switchblade's opinion. It's nice for talking to friends and stuff. Oh, and I have a custom page that is really well coded and not seizurelike, with Radiohead playing in the background.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
MySpace
« Reply #19 on: 19 Feb 2006, 11:08 »

ITs a good way of promoting your band. The whole personal scene thing its got going is quite lame.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

zutonna

MySpace
« Reply #20 on: 19 Feb 2006, 11:44 »

Quote from: Switchblade
This poll needs a fifth option: "I've got one, and I think it's okay".

Oh yeah, sorry about that :) (I would adjust it but I...don't know how!)
The first option was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek because I wasn't expecting anyone to be so excited about MySpace! Wrong, apparently.

Anyway, thanks for everyone who has commented so far. If you have something else to add, please do so!

Also, jake-s, could you elaborate on why you prefer Bebo? Thank you.

The Mighty Mopdecai

Its useful
« Reply #21 on: 21 Feb 2006, 05:20 »

I have set up interviews with bands for my radio show because of this website granted i don't update as much as i should do but I know no other website that allows me to do that.

Narr

MySpace
« Reply #22 on: 21 Feb 2006, 07:53 »

Quote from: Michey
The chain letters are getting old and annoying, and the people with 25754 friends....well, those people need a life.

But aside from all that, I really have nothing against MySpace. Because of it, I've gotten in touch with 2 friends that I havn't talked to/heard from in years.
So as much as it is full of attention whores, it does have it's redeeming qualities.

This sums up my opinons pretty well.  It can be horrifically frustrating at times (I want to deck anyone in the face that puts up a music thingy.  I don't care if I like the song!  I've got my OWN music playlist going, well... pretty much always, and I don't need your music overriding my headbanging to Bulls on Parade, kthxbai) but I have reconnected with a couple friends in high school I probably wouldn't have any other way.

There is a certain amount of drama associated with the site, but then again, that's to be expected.  People, in groups, create issues with each other.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
MySpace
« Reply #23 on: 21 Feb 2006, 07:55 »

I don't exactly use myspace, but I do have an account.  It's mostly to reconnect with old friends I haven't seen in years.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
MySpace
« Reply #24 on: 21 Feb 2006, 10:59 »

i use it for my bands, my friends bands. tour dates of (real) bands. and keeping in touch with friends who live far away. it serves its purpose. i dont have many friends, just people who i actually know. i delete people constantly, even people i know. i have no patience for spamming and emo-ness or any other middle school crap.

edit: i was actually found and contacted by my...get this....best friend from kidnergarten! kindergarten. i havent seen this girl since...first grade...maybe second...and she sends me a message out of the blue "hey remember me?" crazyness
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

AdamIsConceited

MySpace
« Reply #25 on: 21 Feb 2006, 12:37 »

Another poll would be: "I had one and made a smart decision by getting rid of it"

Before I got rid of mine I liked checking on my favorite bands by just clicking on their page... it seemed alot faster than going to each of their individual websites... plus some bands actually updated their Myspace more than their own webpage.

Plus talking to friends from "way back" was nice... but I could easily do without.

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
MySpace
« Reply #26 on: 21 Feb 2006, 13:40 »

Myspace in a way is similar to heroin.

'Cause at first it seems kinda fun. But then you start to hate it, but yer totally addicted and you need to check some pointless groups everyday and do silly things to customise yer page.

I'm a complete cunt on myspace though. Seriously, just read through it

I'm not like that in real life, just a wee bit cynical really. I like to take the piss on myspace 'cause people take it far tooo seriously. :-)

edited for: Typo and overuse of the word "just".

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
MySpace
« Reply #27 on: 21 Feb 2006, 13:58 »

I'm going to have to say I'm more of a cunt on myspace. You're mildly offensive. http://www.myspace.com/riz_soldout
I spend most of my time on there (around 3 minutes a week) deriding stupid people and making fun of idiots who try to add me.
I don't want this to look like a competition, more of a gathering of myspace haters.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Zaarin

MySpace
« Reply #28 on: 02 Mar 2006, 02:05 »

I joined for the sole purpose of laughing at other members, and mocking the hilariously awful screamo bands. My one blog entry reads something like "why the fuck did I sign up for this?", and I have no friends bar Tom, and he's not a real friend anyway, the bastard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up