Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Closer  (Read 6722 times)

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
Closer
« on: 30 Nov 2005, 20:38 »

yes I FINALLY got around to watching 'Closer' and while it's a fantastic movie it has destroyed my faith in love and humantiy.

Thank you and goodnight.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Closer
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2005, 21:29 »

See, I didn't go and see that movie.  The way I look at it there are enough arseholes in real life without paying money to watch movies about them.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
Closer
« Reply #2 on: 01 Dec 2005, 04:55 »

That sounds something like the sentiment I have regarding "Requiem for a Dream," but Closer was actually pretty good. Anyway, my faith in humanity was destroyed in November 2004.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

Leonidas

• Furry furrier
Closer
« Reply #3 on: 01 Dec 2005, 06:36 »

I'm actually afraid to watch this movie. Such is my level of cynicism and lack of faith in humanity and relationships I worry this movie (from what I've heard about it) might kill me off completely.
She looked me over and I guess she thought I was all right...
All right in a sort of a limited way for an off night.

sjbrot

Closer
« Reply #4 on: 01 Dec 2005, 14:52 »

My family hated the movie. They could never catch on when the the movie jumped foward in time. I, however, enjoyed it.

gwyndylynn

Closer
« Reply #5 on: 03 Dec 2005, 07:52 »

I greatly enjoyed themovie b/c it seemedvery real, at least at the point in time where i was watching it compulsivly.  people screw up, some people end up together(julia roberts' character and clive owen's characterR) andsome people don't (natalie portman and Jude law)...
beyond that, the writing was excellent.

so, yes.  great movie.  

I do wonder, however, how "alice"/jane managed to go by a fake name for years and years and years.  Especially a name she made up spur-of-the-moment.

Paper Beats Rock

Closer
« Reply #6 on: 03 Dec 2005, 17:03 »

Yeah, you would have thought that it would make applying for jobs and bank accounts a bit awkward.  Maybe she just always got up before him so he never saw her mail, he is a writer after all.  Probably stays in bed until three in the afternoon.

I thought the acting was good but something irked me about the jumps in time, I think it's just that I like a little more continuity and character development in my films.

A big plus is that it has one of my favourite ever film quotes-

"Have you ever seen a human heart?  It looks like a FIST wrapped in blood!"

Maximo Bean

Closer
« Reply #7 on: 08 Jan 2006, 05:22 »

I love that movie.
Yeah it does destroy faith.
But whatever, Jude Law is hot.

hoax

• Plantmonster
Closer
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jan 2006, 08:11 »

I love the movie too, but I did think the jumps in time were awkward--I just didn't like the fade out/in white.  The white bugged me.  I think the more traditional black fades would have made more sense, aesthetically
"Don't worry, I don't have low self-esteem.  It's a mistake.  I have low esteem for everyone else."
--Daria Morgendorffer

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
Closer
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2006, 04:16 »

The jumps were kinda weird at times. Why not put the freaking date at the bottom at the beginnig of each scene?

It was a so-so film. A bit too pretentious.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
Closer
« Reply #10 on: 16 Jan 2006, 23:56 »

I stayed up nearly the whole night after that movie.

I was thinking very long, very hard and was incredibly upset.

Why, in this movie, did Clive Owen get everything he wanted, and Jude Law get nothing? They both made the same exact fuck-ups, the same exact infidelities. So why did Clive get Julia and Jude get no one?

The answer came to me very suddenly and I fell into a deep and peaceful sleep.

Clive always ALWAYS ALWAYS told the truth. He was completely honest from beginning to end, almost ridiculously unbelievable in that respect. But he was.

It came to me that this movie (formerly a play, which makes the time gaps make more sense to me as they would have been seperate "acts") is basically an attack on how many people deal with difficult aspects of their relationships and, in fact, one need only to be totally honest - even with their mistakes - to find happiness. Even if you get hurt in the process.

Also, I wanted to shake Jude Law at the end of the movie. DONT JUST LET NATALIE FREAKING PORTMAN WALK OUT ON YOU YOU FOOL> MAKE A CONVINCING DRAMATIC SPEECH TO MAKE HER STAY OR AT LEAST MAKE A STAND FOR YOURSELF>

Sigh.

Terrific movie, though.
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Closer
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jan 2006, 12:48 »

I haven't seen it, but from your descriptions the relationships seem quite realistic. The guy doesn't always get the girl, peope are arseholes to each other etc.

Not always the easiest thing to watch, but I for one like the sound of it.

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
Closer
« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2006, 18:05 »

I didn't like this movie.  The writing was really good and the acting was spot on, but the fact remains that I cannot enjoy a movie in which I loathe every character.

Larry came close to gaining some of my sympathy because he was honest and because he had his vulnerable moments, but the fact remains that he was a brutal asshole the sort of which you can't imagine feeling sympathetic towards because they wouldn't be receptive to it.

Jude Law especially needed a good closed-fist smack in the throat.  With Portman pulling in a close second.
"It's funny how you think I'm an asshole because I've got HIGH self esteem"

Maximo Bean

Closer
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2006, 09:20 »

What about Julia Roberts?

octozombie

Closer
« Reply #14 on: 11 Feb 2006, 02:42 »

Agh, brilliant movie. One of my all-time favorites; I like how someone else in this thread mentioned how, after thinking about it, they realized the the characters' fates depended upon how many lies they spoke, and Clive Owen's character, who was not a liar, ended up in a great situation (compared to Jude Law's character).

Beautiful movie. I wish I could've seen the play.

I wasn't bothered by the white-outs, they reminded me of the show Six Feet Under. Subtle artistic touch; I like it.

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
Closer
« Reply #15 on: 11 Feb 2006, 17:50 »

I saw 'Closer' with my mother and her best friend, at the time I was probably about 15... the movie could have been better if they hadn't have kept passing the popcorn in front of my face... Silly mummy, you see/hear/read worse at school.

Apart from that I think I liked it, a bit odd in places, but reasonably good all the same. The fake name thing got me as well... that would take a lot of work.
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

Coolhanderik

Closer
« Reply #16 on: 12 Feb 2006, 00:21 »

I liked the movie alot, made me think about it for a couple of days afterwords, I couldn't stand jude law's character though, I wanted to punch him, he was kind of an emo pussy.

I mean really, who would cheat on natalie portman...especially with julia roberts blech.

Praeserpium Machinarum

Closer
« Reply #17 on: 12 Feb 2006, 08:58 »

It was pretty good, it thrived on the good dialog but as a movie it didn't really have much. Though I would like to see it as a play :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up