THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Crappy Computer Thread  (Read 8412 times)

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
The Crappy Computer Thread
« on: 22 Feb 2006, 15:52 »

Are any of you currently functioning with a terrible computer? I am personally running a Pentium with 7.9 gigs of memory and 48 megs of RAM.

Share disdain for your computer.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Mnementh

« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2006, 16:07 »

Maybe you need to install more MEGAhertz.

Unless you have a MACS.  They don't have MEGAhertz. lolz.

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2006, 16:13 »

OUCH! that must fucking hurt.

I'm sitting at 256MB ram and I get annoyed with it running slow.

I got really annoyed when I bought Black 'n' white 2 and tried to run it on my brothers computer (which has a 1GB of ram and other such things) and it installed fine but then was all like "You need pixel shader 1.1 to run this" which means new graphics fecking card. :-( *is non-plussed*

edit: Changed a typo

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2006, 16:33 »

Well it's slow, but the biggest problem is that I can't run yahoo mail all the time because of their moving ads. I'm trying to find a place to get Gmail to no avail.

I don't really need games or animations, but that's pretty crucial.
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2006, 16:36 »

If you really want G-mail I'd be happy to send you an invitation.  I'm not doing anything else with them.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2006, 16:39 »

I would be very much happy if you could, what should I do?

EDIT: I probably shouyldn't derail my own topic. So how about them crappy computers eh?

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2006, 16:50 »

Just sit and wait for the email!  I assume you've got your email address in your profile.

EDIT: Aaaaaand done.  Have fun!

5thWheel

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2006, 05:42 »

I currently work on a PII, 196MB of ram, mostly fine unless I need to do CE.Net stuff in which case it takes an actual hour per compile.  But that <<< I can live with, I just wanted to post the "worst" computer I still regularly use because it is beautiful:
http://www.computercloset.org/AmstradPPC640.htm
This "Laptop" ^^^ takes 10 D cell (non-rechargable) batteries. Its processor speed is getting on for 1000 times slower than a modern PC. It is enormous.

I was nearly the proud owner of a PDP-11 (worth around $14000 AFAIK in 1971, free to a good home in 1996:) but at the time I was still living with my parents and they wouldn't have given me the room to store it.

edscoble

« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2006, 06:35 »

That's nothing I was on a 400Mhz PPC G3 processor laptop, that's right, a G3! they're excellent in being very quiet and rarely get hot, but bloody 'ell, it's slow, that Photoshop take a bloody long time to render a single fliter on a 640x480 image! I brought that PowerBook G3 in Feburary 2000, it's the dog's bollocks back then, 6GB HD, DVD-ROM, 64MB RAM, 400MHz, 2x Firewire, PC card slot, etc. pure performance, until 6 years later.

the best thing about it is that the latest OS 10.4 are supported, and the maxed 512MB RAM can be uppen to 1GB even.

Final Cut Pro is out of the question.

I'm now using the last, most powerful G4 running at 1.67Ghz (15inch) and loving it, MacBook Pro is out of the question considering what I'm doing for uni.

oh and did I mention it has 8MB of VRAM? I even play Return To Castle Wolfenstein in it smoothly, thought the games IS old...

edscoble

« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2006, 06:45 »

Quote from: Nolaw_Nocrime

ahh, Remember back then? in like, 2001 or 1999, where 128MB of RAM seemed rather speedy?

I remember I use to have a DELL Inspiron 2500, it has 900Mhz PIII, 128MB RAM, Windows XP, CD-RW/DVD, 20GB of hard drive space, and I just realise it was 'fine', and now we all need at least 512MB of RAM! while still having the same OS (with the expection of the Windows Service Packs)

bilmey, it wasn't long ago I have a Mac with 64mb of RAM running OS 9, and declared it was the fastest computer I've owned in 2000.

jariku

« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb 2006, 07:51 »

The computer I have to use when I'm visiting my parents is an old Mac Performa 6400 with no real updates, only a slightly larger HD. It had a Voodoo 3000 graphics card in it, but I gave it to my brother.

Connection to the internet is handled trough an old Farallon ISDN router, which I hate almost as much as it hates me.

Luckily I have a laptop nowadays, which I can take with me.

josiah

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2006, 13:11 »

I inherited a computer a few months ago... a laptop from the mid-90's. Ancient Fujitsu LifeBook 530T, circa 1996. Nothing other than the default apps installed except for a demo of some silly game. Norton AV physically removed but not uninstalled. Win95 in all its glory. CD Rom drive , no floppy drive, no USB drive (1996! you gotta be kidding!), internal modem, no network card. 1.3 Gb hard drive. Not much RAM (I'm not currently remembering how much). I should mention that such experiments are not for the faint of heart. Installing onto sufficiently old hardware, especially laptops, can be a frustrating experience. It might work, it might turn the computer into a brick. Fortunately this computer was free (for me, anyway... I think that in 1996, this may have been state of the art).

I wrote an installation report that can be read here. Not something I'm likely to repeat. Until the next time I get a free, ancient, POS laptop :)

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #12 on: 23 Feb 2006, 14:47 »

Quote from: edscoble
Quote from: Nolaw_Nocrime

ahh, Remember back then? in like, 2001 or 1999, where 128MB of RAM seemed rather speedy?

Yeah, but I remember a time when I was able to tell the difference between the enemies and the wall while playing duke nukem 3D. If I try it nowadays I'm stuck with a sorta "The graphics were never THIS bad..." expression. I think it's because we all want our computer to do outrageous things nowadays in the speed it takes us to click a mouse button. It used to be 5 minutes give or take for my computer to start up and me to be able to do anything with it, now it's something like a minute and it frustrates me because I've used computer that start in 30 seconds.

Ah modern life.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #13 on: 23 Feb 2006, 15:19 »

Man, is it wrong that I'm running a Pentium 4 3.4 Ghz, with half a terabyte of hard disk space, a gig of RAM, and a 256Mb Radeon X300 graphics card, and I'm not satisfied?

...It's wrong, isn't it...?

My desire to be up to rec. spec. for X3 Reunion is an unholy sin....
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Bunnyman

« Reply #14 on: 25 Feb 2006, 20:41 »

All wrong except for the graphics card.

What the fuck, man?  X300?  Weeeeeeaaaaaak...

Rubby

• The German Chancellory building
    • http://members.shaw.ca/baby.snakes
« Reply #15 on: 01 Mar 2006, 11:34 »

Quote from: Inlander
If you really want G-mail I'd be happy to send you an invitation.  I'm not doing anything else with them.

I dont mean to kill the topic here, but as long as you're throwing around Gmail invites, can I have one too?

BPMninja

« Reply #16 on: 01 Mar 2006, 12:51 »

Quote from: Bunnyman

I agree.  About $50 on the cost of the card and you can get something that's half decent.

Meanwhile, I'm dealing with my craptastic eMachine.  I have about 1.5 Gigs of HD space left and the memory struggles when I have anything out of the Adobe suite open.  I can't wait until May when I get to buy myself the new Mac Book Pro that I've been drooling over since they released the info on it. *swoon*

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #17 on: 01 Mar 2006, 13:23 »

Pshaw, my Commodore 64 still rocks.  And you guys are just jealous that you don't have the NEW Atari.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

nescience

« Reply #18 on: 01 Mar 2006, 13:23 »

I find it so weird to think that people still need Gmail invites these days.  I have 99.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #19 on: 01 Mar 2006, 14:25 »

My PC isnt too crappy save for the fact my graphics died so Im using my ye olde backup for now.

I do have a totally awesome Win 95 laptop in my room. I use it cos its got Word 95. Word 95 is amazingly fast because there is no uber-freaking-sucky bloatware.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #20 on: 01 Mar 2006, 16:28 »

No shit. I'm getting a new one, though.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

BPMninja

« Reply #21 on: 01 Mar 2006, 17:05 »

Quote from: Bastardous Bassist
Pshaw, my Commodore 64 still rocks.  And you guys are just jealous that you don't have the NEW Atari.

Dang, I miss my comm64.  I still have the floppy disks over at my parents house.

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #22 on: 01 Mar 2006, 21:52 »

I should fire mine up and see if it still thinks 2+2=5...
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Bunnyman

« Reply #23 on: 02 Mar 2006, 23:04 »

Sometime when I was in middle school, my Dad got rid of his Original IBM PC.  It was sad, really.  Pretty pimped out.  640k of RAM (hardwired boards, no less), Hercules hi-res Monochrome graphics adapter, 20mb Hard Drive instead of dual floppies, Microsoft Mouse (which had its own expansion card to drive it).  Beauteous piece of hardware, that.

I'm typing this on a ThinkPad T23...PIII 1.1GHz, 128mb RAM, Win2000Pro.  Crappy, perhaps, but completely bereft of bloatware and bloody brilliant for surfing the web or typing shiz.

I wants me a C64 so I can play M.U.L.E. properly.  And Wasteland.

A friend of mine in college had an Amiga 500 that we could never get working.  Twas a pity, really.  Roadwar 2000 in its proper environs, to say nothing of Lemmings, Hired Guns, etc etc etc.

Jenno

• Furry furrier
« Reply #24 on: 02 Mar 2006, 23:16 »

Oh god, the disk changing... the memories are coming back!

Rubby

• The German Chancellory building
    • http://members.shaw.ca/baby.snakes
« Reply #25 on: 04 Mar 2006, 16:28 »

Quote from: nescience
I find it so weird to think that people still need Gmail invites these days.  I have 99.

Everyone I know assumed that no one needed them anymore, and I was left out all along.

ramenXnoodles

« Reply #26 on: 04 Mar 2006, 20:40 »

I have a P4 1.6ghz, 256 RAM and a fucking geForce4MX420. I want a new one. My old one was really crappy. Like Pentium 1, 200MHZ, 32MB RAM, no GFX card. It couldn't run The Sims.

edscoble

« Reply #27 on: 10 Mar 2006, 14:05 »

Quote from: Switchblade
Man, is it wrong that I'm running a Pentium 4 3.4 Ghz, with half a terabyte of hard disk space, a gig of RAM, and a 256Mb Radeon X300 graphics card, and I'm not satisfied?

...It's wrong, isn't it...?

My desire to be up to rec. spec. for X3 Reunion is an unholy sin....

heh, well it depend on how well you can run Windows XP, my 2GB RAM, 3.40GHz DELL is still bloody fast, I don't have any anti-virus clogging the system, just an decent firewall.

keep your computer in shape (OS wise) and you'll see a speed increase.

I'm typing this on a ThinkPad T23...PIII 1.1GHz, 128mb RAM, Win2000Pro.  Crappy, perhaps, but completely bereft of bloatware and bloody brilliant for surfing the web or typing shiz.

one would said that if you increase the RAM in your ThinkPad, you'll see a much speedier return and believe me, it'll be worth it.

512mb will feel like lighting speed in comparison to 128MB.

what annoyed me is that some old laptop from 2001 or summat has a motherboard that only max to 256mb, really bother me a lots.

I'm so glad I can able to max my Pismo to 1GB, more than the old 512MB ram max.

Quote from: Luke C
My PC isnt too crappy save for the fact my graphics died so Im using my ye olde backup for now.

I do have a totally awesome Win 95 laptop in my room. I use it cos its got Word 95. Word 95 is amazingly fast because there is no uber-freaking-sucky bloatware.

you're quite right, I have OS 9 running in my G4 PowerMac at work instead of OS X, and the result was unbelievably fast, Word 6 open faster than a prostitute's leg, and running Photoshop was smooth.

that if you don't do muilt-task, if you run more than two application, OS 9 won't like that.

AlkalineJoe

« Reply #28 on: 13 Mar 2006, 11:16 »

Just to annoy you all, here's mine:
2 GB RAM, 200 GB HD, AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor, Radeon X300 128 mb graphics card (say nothing, i'm getting a new one soon), DVD drive and writer :)

Sorry about that
Pages: [1]   Go Up