THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 21:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Music Guilty Pleasures  (Read 86789 times)

TrueNeutral

Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #100 on: 15 Mar 2006, 06:58 »

Quote from: Narr
You mentioning 4th of July got me thinking, I think it's funny songs I never really listened to on my own are now some of my favorite songs.  I retroactively found out I liked a lot of Grunge music because my brother was into Soundgarden and Pearl Jam.  It was like, once I actually started to LISTEN to music, I'd hear some song and say "Hey, that sounds familiar."

The same doesn't go for me. Up until three years ago, Nirvan was the only grunge I knew. The others never really broke through in Holland, at least, not in any mainstream manner.

It's interesting because I was basically six when grunge was really popular and didn't like music at all. I'm basically a late blooming grunge kid.

Narr

Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #101 on: 15 Mar 2006, 06:59 »

Quote from: Speeing
I can sing the lyrics to any Linkin Park song from memory.

I have no idea how I came into this knowledge.
That's not as bad as when you don't realize you're singing along to tha tstupid country song that's all "You make me feel like a natural woman"

I hope I'm not the only person that's mind has been attacked by the vicious aliens from Mars that perpetuate this atrocity.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #102 on: 15 Mar 2006, 07:04 »

VNV Nation are one of my favourite bands but every time I see them mentioned online it's within or followed by a string of comments along the lines of "that band has too many fans", "blah blah overrated shite", "I've heard one too many of their crappy remixes" etc. At a guess it's because they're more well-known in America so they've reached the "cool to hate" area of the popularity-o-meter?

Anyway, if I were to be the type to feel guilty about liking unpopular bands, I guess that'd be the closest thing to an answer to this thread I can come up with...

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #103 on: 15 Mar 2006, 07:19 »

Really? I love VNV Nation and never hear anything about them here in America. Popular in whatever the hell genre of electronic stuff you call them? Yeah. And that's where the stupid fucking elitist kids get annoyed because nobody acknowledged that they were listening to them earlier. I mean, just shut up guys. Their last album was great.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #104 on: 15 Mar 2006, 07:42 »

Quote from: amok
At a guess it's because they're more well-known in America so they've reached the "cool to hate" area of the popularity-o-meter?

I suppose they have if you're a new-school rivethead. But then again, if that's the case, no-one but you can probably tell the difference between your favourite bands, so what you like and dislike is pretty void. I mean, I love me some EBM and Futurepop, but apart from a few mavericks like :wumpscut and Mind.in.a.box it's not the most endlessly diverse genre, and it's also one of those ones where it is pretty assured that the more well known you are the better you are (whereas it is often, of course, vice versa).
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

amok

• Duck attack survivor
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #105 on: 15 Mar 2006, 10:56 »

I wouldn't say it's that rare to find a band with an individual sound*. I guess some people are just, like Kai said, the kind of elitist fucks who hate on them purely as a basis of their success... and then there's people who either hear the wrong bands, or don't get into the genre enough to be able to really tell the difference.

And yeah Kai, I did mean popular within the "cyber goth" culture or whatever you call the people who listen to this stuff... not properly mainstream popular. :D

Also, I agree that their last album was outstanding; the last couple before that, while excellent, were a bit... similar. Matter + Form sounds really fresh and takes a new direction altogether. Love it.

*Khar, if you haven't already, have a look into some of the following bands: synth/futurepop bands with a few original ideas... few suggestions off the top of my head

Resurrection Eve
Syrian
Lavantgarde (album to get: "Inside Out")
Les Anges De La Nuit
Pride And Fall (new CD: Elements of Silence)
Wideband Network ("Universe" album)
Cesium:137 ("Intelligent Design")
Nevarakka (more of a trance-y, mainstream sound but still wicked)
O.V.N.I. (sounds like an Aphex Twin/old Apoptygma crossover)

I agree there's a lot of identikit bands in the genre, went through a period of a few months where I got a bit dissatisfied with it and went back to indie (which led to me registering here actually.. heh) but if you dig hard enough there's plenty fun stuff going on :) although very few bands could be described as truly groundbreaking in the same way as MIAB.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #106 on: 15 Mar 2006, 12:04 »

Thanks for the suggestions. You don't see a lot of unusual EBM/futurepop suggestions bandied about, or if they are they're lost in seas of other suggestions...I guess it might have something to do with the fact that a lot of people who are into the scene are there because of the club culture, and thus the bulk of most peoples musical taste is made up of the popular dance stuff: VNV, Funker Vogt, Neuroticfish et al.

The futurepop/ebm (not even sure if that's what they are tbh) band I love that I see most rarely talked about is E Nomine. I wouldn't say they were anything amazingly innovative, but they do have a very unique, and very rocking, imo, sound.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

amok

• Duck attack survivor
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #107 on: 15 Mar 2006, 12:07 »

That's the thing really, there's plenty of bands that sound individual, but very few who actually do anything really fresh and exciting like MIAB do. So I guess people who don't absolutely love the general futurepop formula will get bored of it pretty fast. But I'm quite happy with listening to 50+ interesting variations on the same general theme.

edit: check out the Leiahdorus track I put up in the "Forced Listening" thread too. I wasn't sure whether to recommend you the whole album but since I ended up putting that song in there, might as well give it a listen.

Houdinimachine

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • http://www.myspace.com/houdinimachine/
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #108 on: 15 Mar 2006, 14:22 »

I love Tom Cochrane's "Life is a Highway." I feel dirty even admitting it.
She gave me a pen. I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen.

citylights

Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #109 on: 15 Mar 2006, 14:25 »

just this morning, yellowcard came up while my mp3 player was on shuffle. i didn't change it...and sang along, as well.

others: weird al, maroon 5, the vines, the white stripes, MOZART, e.l.o., etc.

i know the lyrics of matchbox twenty, eminem, avril, puddle of mudd, and barenaked ladies.

pshaw, i'm not ashamed.

Narr

Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #110 on: 15 Mar 2006, 16:07 »

Man, Weird Al.  That brings back some good memories.  I used to be able to sing along to the entirety of the song "Albequerque," which to this day is quite possibly the most humorous song ever produced.

And the plane went into a tailspin, and EVERYBODY DIED! ... Except for me, you know why?
I had my traaaay table up! and my seat back in the full upright position
had my traaaay table up, my seat back in the full upright position!

15goingon5

Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #111 on: 15 Mar 2006, 16:28 »

I own music by Lacuna Coil *sobs*

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #112 on: 15 Mar 2006, 18:04 »

Lacuna Coil would be magnificent if not for the astoundingly annoying male vocalist..much like Nightwish would be..and Linkin Park minus Mike Shinoda.
Hate, rain on me

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #113 on: 15 Mar 2006, 18:06 »

Hey guys, I LIKE Lacuna COil.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Speeing

Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #114 on: 15 Mar 2006, 18:06 »

Quote from: hey_there_fatty
Lacuna Coil would be magnificent if not for the astoundingly annoying male vocalist..much like Nightwish would be..and Linkin Park minus Mike Shinoda.

I dunno. I'm of the opinion that Chester Bennington resides in his own universe of annoyance and pretention.

citylights

Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #115 on: 15 Mar 2006, 18:18 »

Man, Weird Al.  That brings back some good memories.  I used to be able to sing along to the entirety of the song "Albequerque," which to this day is quite possibly the most humorous song ever produced.

And the plane went into a tailspin, and EVERYBODY DIED! ... Except for me, you know why?
I had my traaaay table up! and my seat back in the full upright position
had my traaaay table up, my seat back in the full upright position!

and the towels are OH SO fluuuuuffy! and anyone will glady shave your back for a nickel!

ahh yes, hermaphrodites with flock-of-seagulls haircuts and only one nostril trying to steal your glow-in-the-drak snorkel.

Iwan

Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #116 on: 16 Mar 2006, 13:32 »

I will be bashed, beaten and burned and raped but...meh, it's just the Internet.

I have really great memories of Good Charlotte. Some nice things happened to me during a period and their excuse for music was, well, a part of it.

I hate when one of the Madden bros tries to be the personal Bono of 14 year old girls (and Bono tries to be Jesus, so you end up with the Madden as the Messiah for girls who haven't reached the point of their first period yet).
And I hate it even more when they use cheap tricks to get the crowd to react ("you, the fans are part of this band", "you, the fans have made our dreams reality" etc.)
And yes, they have shit lyrics, and shit artwork and a shitimage and...well the whole band is basicly shit, so you might as well  plug your earsets into your own turds.
Sometimes, you might get a glimpse of humor but loose focus and think about the fact that you're listening to fuckin' Good Charlotte and it's gone.
But, damn, great memories, so I can't help it but smile everytime I hear one of their songs.

Also; Cher. The woman has got a very deep warm voice. Love 'Gypsys'.

iKitten

Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #117 on: 22 Mar 2006, 05:57 »

I have a minor obsession with Vanessa-Mae.

zoidbergslo

• Emoticontraindication
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #118 on: 22 Mar 2006, 06:25 »

Hmm let me see

- Weird Al this guy f**king rocks
- Pizzicato Five damn I love that Baby Love Child for still unknown reason
- Blink 182 - Damit
- and some 80s pop is kind a cool :D

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #119 on: 22 Mar 2006, 07:35 »

Why is everyone guilty about liking Wierd Al?

I thought hipsters would be totally behind him, at least ironically.

nescience

Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #120 on: 22 Mar 2006, 09:20 »

First rule of hipster irony: leave your junior high music loves at the doorstep unless they made their primary music in the 70s, or they are Prince or Madonna.

Jedit

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #121 on: 22 Mar 2006, 11:03 »

What's bad about liking Faithless?  I'm not a great fan myself, but they're far from sucky.  Are they too mainstream to be cool, or something?  If so, hie thee off and get Dave Randall's solo album and also his first album as Slovo; that'll assuage your guilt.

(Amusing if possibly apocryphal story: Faithless were a last-minute addition to the Berlin Live 8 gig, as the organisers suddenly realised they had no black artists in the lineup.)

I have a certain amount of the Bangles in my collection.  See the sig to see why I really don't care that much.
Warning - while you were typing 14 new replies have been posted. Empires have risen and fallen. New species have evolved, and they too have invented webcomics. You may wish to review your post.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #122 on: 22 Mar 2006, 12:15 »

Faithless are really really cool. Fact.

Narr

Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #123 on: 23 Mar 2006, 22:44 »

Quote from: nescience
First rule of hipster irony: leave your junior high music loves at the doorstep unless they made their primary music in the 70s, or they are Prince or Madonna.
You are quite possibly the most quotable person I know online, just so you know.

Zaarin

Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #124 on: 24 Mar 2006, 00:39 »

I have a guilty pleasure I must admit: the Killers.

I'm kicked out of TEH INDIE FAN KLUB now, aren't I?

Jedit

Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #125 on: 24 Mar 2006, 04:49 »

Quote from: Zaarin
I have a guilty pleasure I must admit: the Killers.

I'm kicked out of TEH INDIE FAN KLUB now, aren't I?

No, you're being kicked out of life. Please report to your nearest Termination Booth for speedy processing.
Warning - while you were typing 14 new replies have been posted. Empires have risen and fallen. New species have evolved, and they too have invented webcomics. You may wish to review your post.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #126 on: 24 Mar 2006, 05:54 »

Quote from: amok
Faithless are really really cool. Fact.

I second that, their live shows are awsome.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Rather Confused

Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #127 on: 25 Mar 2006, 10:19 »

I have the rocky horror picture show album in a prominent place next to the CD player. Also a Best of Meatloaf and Snoopy's Christmas (& other holiday hits). I grew up with the last two and despite how much i am ashamed, I still love them and will refuse to part with either.

Please don't eat me.

nancygirl

Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #128 on: 26 Mar 2006, 05:05 »

Patsy Cline, Barry Manilow, Skinny Puppy, Type O Negative, the Rocky Horror soundtrack and Culture Club are my guilty little pleasures...whenever I need a little lift I generally listen to them and boogie. Thankfully the people I hang out with have pretty varied musical tastes so I don't get too many weird looks

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #129 on: 26 Mar 2006, 05:09 »

Quote from: hey_there_fatty

See, I have a similar opinion of Evanescence. When I heard their first single I thought the interplay between the two vocalists worked well...then I find out that the guy isn't a permanent member of the band.

Just an operatic, warbling woman? No thanks.

I'd still praise that album like fuck if it'd get me in bed with her though.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

TrueNeutral

Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #130 on: 26 Mar 2006, 08:51 »

Really? He annoyed the fuck out of me.

I like Amy Lee's voice. It's pretty powerful. I've always considered it a crime against humanity that she has such a terrible backing band.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #131 on: 26 Mar 2006, 08:53 »

Quote from: TrueNeutral
Really? He annoyed the fuck out of me.

I like Amy Lee's voice. It's pretty powerful. I've always considered it a crime against humanity that she has such a terrible backing band.

Well I think she does have a nice voice. I saw some live footage and she can handle it quite well, she's a good vocalist.

I don't think it was the guy that I liked, but the interplay between male and female. I don't think it works so well in loads of other bands it was something about them, for some reason.

Narr

Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #132 on: 26 Mar 2006, 09:02 »

Quote from: DynamiteKid

Agreed.

@ Dynamite Kid:  What song is that?  I'm not familiar with what their first single was.  The only song I know of that has her in it singing with a guy is when she sang "Broken" with Seether (which is a pretty good song, IMO, and I think Seether is a pretty good band.)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #133 on: 26 Mar 2006, 12:14 »

Quote from: DynamiteKid

Agreed.

@ Dynamite Kid:  What song is that?  I'm not familiar with what their first single was.  The only song I know of that has her in it singing with a guy is when she sang "Broken" with Seether (which is a pretty good song, IMO, and I think Seether is a pretty good band.)

Bring Me To Life.

Wake me up (wake me up inside)
Can't wake up (something something)
SAVE ME (save me from the nothing I've become)
ooooooooooooooh
I've been living a lie
There's nothing inside
Ooooooooooooooooh
I've been living a lie
There's nothing INSAAAAAAAAAIDE

etc.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #134 on: 26 Mar 2006, 14:48 »

Quote from: nancygirl
Skinny Puppy, Type O Negative, the Rocky Horror soundtrack and Culture Club

Okay, Rocky Horror Show maybe, but the others are great fucking bands.

Also, a general point: never be ashamed of MeatLoaf. MeatLoaf is rule.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #135 on: 26 Mar 2006, 15:53 »

I like some tracks from Cowboy from Hell. This is so very untr00 of me.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #136 on: 26 Mar 2006, 15:55 »

Yeah, me too. Of course, it's apparently super cool to hate Pantera so fucking much that's it's ridiculous.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #137 on: 26 Mar 2006, 16:18 »

Yeah, but the problem is, people have applied that stupid retroactive shit to Pantera, just like everyone else. Cowboys From Hell is actually A DECENT ALBUM. Just like early Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Metallica etc. stuff can be pretty good. Just because a band went on to slap the whole metal world in the face with their collective cock and become the icon of spotty little misgendered backwards-cap wearing ne'er-do-wells, doesn't mean they can never have done something good. 'Queen Of Winter Throned' by CoF will stand up to almost any Limbonic Art song, for example.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #138 on: 26 Mar 2006, 16:20 »

I actually haven't listened to much CoF, but could you tell me about what time/album they started to go down the shitter so I can promptly forget any of those albums exist?

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #139 on: 26 Mar 2006, 16:30 »

The thing is, a lot of Bay Area thrash is still better than even early Metallica.

(Everybody's totally expecting me to use Testament as an example here.)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #140 on: 26 Mar 2006, 16:39 »

Yeah, but also, Metallica are by no means some sick nadir of Bay Area Thrash. They're a bit average, they rip off Mercyful Fate, yet they're still, for that, not that bad a band, with a few classic songs. This is just an example of that treatment. You are holding the early works of Metallica to a higher standard than you would hold something by a more obscure artist. They don't   have to be the best in the genre to be listenable, for chrissakes.

@ Kai: the decline pretty much started on 'Cruelty And The Beast'. Some people write them off there, but I believe they're still pretty good up to as far as 'Bitter Suites to Succubi'. The chief thing to remember about Cradle of Filth, and the reason that they have always pissed off tr00 black metallers is because, at least since 1994, they have never made any attempt to be serious. They are deliberately over the top to the point of self-parody: fun music, in a word. Dani may sound, like my girlfriend puts it 'Like a chipmunk gone horrible wrong', but that's part of the appeal, not part of the repulsion. The fact that neither Cradles fans nor their detractors realise that they are [i[meant[/i] to be fundamentally silly is an amusing thing for me.

That said, the last two albums are horeshit, for differing reasons.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #141 on: 26 Mar 2006, 17:14 »

I never said early Metallica wasn't listenable. Disposable Heroes is still a super-awesome-great song.

Jedit

Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #142 on: 27 Mar 2006, 01:08 »

Quote from: Kai
Of course, it's apparently super cool to hate Pantera so fucking much that's it's ridiculous.

Listen up good, I got a lot to do
I know what I want, and I want to get screwed
I call 'em like I see 'em and don't play by the book
200 hair rock albums and I've never been f**ked

Not seen it, not done it, not heard it before
Can't even get action by paying a whore
Tried foreplay, tried washing, I've done all I can
But still like every single other Pantera fan I've

Prayed to be laid
Prayed to be laid
You know I've prayed...
Prayed to be laid

<cough>

supatyouKERI

Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #143 on: 27 Mar 2006, 13:51 »

For some reason unknown to me, I'm starting to like a bunch of shitty screamo[ish] bands.
i.e. i own the new from first to last cd.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #144 on: 27 Mar 2006, 17:45 »

Quote from: Jedit

Listen up good, I got a lot to do
I know what I want, and I want to get screwed
I call 'em like I see 'em and don't play by the book
200 hair rock albums and I've never been f**ked

Not seen it, not done it, not heard it before
Can't even get action by paying a whore
Tried foreplay, tried washing, I've done all I can
But still like every single other Pantera fan I've

Prayed to be laid
Prayed to be laid
You know I've prayed...
Prayed to be laid

<cough>

While not metal, I can totally quote a different song:

Went to a party
I danced all night
I drank 16 beers
And I started up a fight

But now I am jaded
You're out of luck
I'm rolling down the stairs
Too drunk to fuck

Too drunk to fuck
Too drunk to fuck
Too drunk, to fuck
I'm too drunk, too drunk, too drunk
To fuck

I like your stories
I love your gun
Shooting out truck tires
Sounds like loads and loads of fun

But in my room
Wish you were dead
You ball like the baby
In Eraserhead

Too drunk to fuck
Too drunk to fuck
Too drunk, to fuck
It's all I need right now
Too drunk to fuck

Doesn't change the fact that it's a bitchin ass song.

Combinethresher

Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #145 on: 27 Mar 2006, 18:13 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
The chief thing to remember about Cradle of Filth, and the reason that they have always pissed off tr00 black metallers is because, at least since 1994, they have never made any attempt to be serious.

Also, keep in mind that they had the audacity to make money, which pisses off black metal kids even more than punks, for some reason. Well, that and the scene rules for black metal are goddamned stupid.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #146 on: 27 Mar 2006, 19:45 »

Punk and Black Metal kids are both the most elitist fans ever.

Combinethresher

Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #147 on: 27 Mar 2006, 21:05 »

Quote from: Kai
Punk and Black Metal kids are both the most elitist fans ever.

I'd give punks a little more credit than black metal, mainly because a) I am one, and b) black metal is musically inaccessible to most people, making the scene's decision to demand that every band sound exactly alike a dubious one. Seriously, my buddy Ken is really into the stuff and I can never tell who's playing because it's next to impossible to distinguish one howling Norseman from another.

At least with punk, the guys screaming "SELLOUT" at everyone who tries to make a living from music are easy to separate from the others; they're inarticulate morons, and usually MRR guest columnists.

Houdinimachine

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • http://www.myspace.com/houdinimachine/
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #148 on: 27 Mar 2006, 22:52 »

I love White Town's "Your Woman."

I can't deny. Love that beat.
She gave me a pen. I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Music Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #149 on: 28 Mar 2006, 05:12 »

Quote from: Combinethresher
Seriously, my buddy Ken is really into the stuff and I can never tell who's playing because it's next to impossible to distinguish one howling Norseman from another.

Especially as a good whack of them are Japanese, Americans and French putting on Norwegian accents.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up