THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 00:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Heavy metal  (Read 50733 times)

Cerulaetas

Heavy metal
« Reply #100 on: 09 Mar 2006, 15:49 »

Quote from: abadname

Trivium is super talented musicly but when Mathew sings its not as good but he can scream.

I see it the opposite way.  He can yell, which sounds absolutely horrid, and then he can sing with some decent ability.  Unfortunately, it seems he prefers to yell.  Because it makes him XxHardXcorExX.

abadname

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • double plus good
    • http://www.myspace.com/roseofsharyn7
Heavy metal
« Reply #101 on: 09 Mar 2006, 18:57 »

Quote from: Cerulaetas

Trivium is super talented musicly but when Mathew sings its not as good but he can scream.

I see it the opposite way.  He can yell, which sounds absolutely horrid, and then he can sing with some decent ability.  Unfortunately, it seems he prefers to yell.  Because it makes him XxHardXcorExX.

trivium isn't even hardcore haha.  But nice scene reference.

youbelongtothecity

Heavy metal
« Reply #102 on: 09 Mar 2006, 19:33 »

I like Pelican/Isis/Jesu style metal, not much else though.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Heavy metal
« Reply #103 on: 09 Mar 2006, 22:03 »

I'm pretty sure that I could name about 15 guitarists within the realm of metal off the top of my head that are better than the guy from Trivium. Without even really trying.

The problem with Trivium and Posion the Well is the problem with a lot of metalcore bands: they're incredibly derivative and unoriginal. Which isn't to say this problem is reserved to metalcore; basically every band to come out of the Florida death scene is just a knockoff of Possessed who produce the same album 5 times. I have only heard about half a dozen Trivium songs, but they more or less sound exactly the same. Plus emocore, no matter how much talent you have, is whoring yourself out for more money. This is not speculation, it's fact.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
Heavy metal
« Reply #104 on: 10 Mar 2006, 01:34 »

Srsly. I you "don't like metal vocals", get Falconer's Self-titled album. Or just get it anyway, even if you do like metal vocals, or even like falconer or even have that album. Get another copy.
also israel

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
Heavy metal
« Reply #105 on: 10 Mar 2006, 08:17 »

Quote from: Storm Rider
I'm pretty sure that I could name about 15 guitarists within the realm of metal off the top of my head that are better than the guy from Trivium. Without even really trying.

The problem with Trivium and Posion the Well is the problem with a lot of metalcore bands: they're incredibly derivative and unoriginal. Which isn't to say this problem is reserved to metalcore; basically every band to come out of the Florida death scene is just a knockoff of Possessed who produce the same album 5 times. I have only heard about half a dozen Trivium songs, but they more or less sound exactly the same. Plus emocore, no matter how much talent you have, is whoring yourself out for more money. This is not speculation, it's fact.

Exactly.

I watched a Trivium video last night on Headbangers Ball. It was horrible. I seriously dont understand what people find in them. The vocals are mildly ok, the guitarist isnt that good, and the mosh was pathetic (like Khar said,  crap stage presence and crowd interaction).
The drummer, though, was pretty good. Thats it.
Sadly, this goes for almost every metalcore band I have ever heard.

And yeah, most of the new bands that come out of florida sound just the same.
Damn, I miss Morbid Angel. *puts on Blessed Are The Sick*
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

kikanjuuneko

Heavy metal
« Reply #106 on: 10 Mar 2006, 08:32 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Something about Killswitch

You mean... oh, I don't know... something like this?

Maybe one day I'll be an honest man
Up till now I'm doing the best I can
Long roads.Long days, of sunrise, to sunset
Sunrise to sunset

Dream on brothers while you can
Dream on sisters I hope you will find the one
All of our lives, covered up quickly by the tides of time

Spend your days full of emptiness
Spend your years full of loneliness
Wasting love, in a desperate caress
Rolling shadows of night

Dream on brothers while you can
Dream on sisters I hope you will find the one
All of our lives, covered up quickly by the tides of time

Sands are flowing and the lines are in your hand
In your eyes I see the hunger, and the desperate cry that tears the night

Spend your days full of emptiness
Spend your years full of loneliness
Wasting love, in a desperate caress
Rolling shadows of night

As for the record cover, everyone knows that's a total rip on Shai Hulud's 'Hearts Once Nourished With Hope and Compassion' anyway. That, and I am far too lazy to dig up some record cover by some metal band that surely is as soppy as anything you could accuse Killswitch of. I have a life, you know.

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
Heavy metal
« Reply #107 on: 10 Mar 2006, 10:28 »

Is it sad that I am now looking for every band mentioned in this forum (save the ones I KNOW are shit)?

I need more metal in my life. All i have right now are Skyclad, Dragonforce, In Flames, Immortal, Impaled Nazarene, and Finntroll. Im sure I have more at home, but still, my appetite for metal is not satiated.
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
Heavy metal
« Reply #108 on: 10 Mar 2006, 10:51 »

I think Dark Tranquillity and Edge of Sanity would do you good.
Dark Tranquillity's new album is brilliant, give it a shot.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
Heavy metal
« Reply #109 on: 10 Mar 2006, 12:22 »

For those of you harrassing metalcore, you need to listen to some proper metalcore.
Something like Shai Hulud, 100 Demons, Nine, and most of all Shai Hulud again. This isn't MTVcore, it's straight up metal meets hardcore and Shai Hulud still do it best.
Such a shame they broke up. Their show last year was fucking amazing.
"That Within Blood Ill-Tempered" is probably their best album. If you can get that and listen to "Two and twenty misfortunes".
Ahem. Fanboy rant done.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

TrueNeutral

Heavy metal
« Reply #110 on: 10 Mar 2006, 12:44 »

Oh and korn is a million billion trillion thousand million times worse than killswitch but korn is still waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy better than limp bizkit or slipknot

Okay, I used to be a nu-metal kid before I actually started *listening* to music, and I gotta say that there is no fucking way that KoRn is better than Slipknot. When KoRn makes a record, they make the same song twelve times. Granted, most of their albums sound different from the others, but the songs on them sound mostly the same. Slipknot actually writes SONGS. Bad songs, but songs nonetheless.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
Heavy metal
« Reply #111 on: 10 Mar 2006, 17:44 »

Quote from: Rizzo
For those of you harrassing metalcore, you need to listen to some proper metalcore.
Something like Shai Hulud, 100 Demons, Nine, and most of all Shai Hulud again. This isn't MTVcore, it's straight up metal meets hardcore and Shai Hulud still do it best.
Such a shame they broke up. Their show last year was fucking amazing.
"That Within Blood Ill-Tempered" is probably their best album. If you can get that and listen to "Two and twenty misfortunes".
Ahem. Fanboy rant done.

None of us said that all metalcore is bad.
Its just that most of what we heard was terrible. I myself like Lamb Of God and Unearth.
I will check out those bands you mentioned.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

ChozSun

Heavy metal
« Reply #112 on: 10 Mar 2006, 21:48 »

<- noob, old man alert.  My favorite metal is pretty close to home.

My metal list (most of these I own the entire libraries for): Metallica, Judas Priest, Megadeth (small doses), Anthrax, Iron Maiden, Dragonforce, Iced Earth (I still cannot get enough of "The Glorious Burden"... Gettysburg Parts I to III has got to be some of the greatest 30 minutes of metal ever made.)

I love prog metal with a passion and I still think Dream Theater is the end all to be all.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Heavy metal
« Reply #113 on: 10 Mar 2006, 22:22 »

Fancy. Iced Earth are ace.

You should totally check out Demons and Wizards. It's the guitarist from Iced Earth and the vocalist guy from (I think) Blind Guardian's side project, and it is awesome.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

ChozSun

Heavy metal
« Reply #114 on: 10 Mar 2006, 22:24 »

Quote from: Kai

You should totally check out Demons and Wizards. It's the guitarist from Iced Earth and the vocalist guy from (I think) Blind Guardian's side project, and it is awesome.

Checking it now.

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
Heavy metal
« Reply #115 on: 10 Mar 2006, 22:26 »

It is indeed Hansi, from Blind Guardian.  Their most recent album has fucking amazing drummer Bobby Jarzombek, brother of Ron Jarzombek, both of whom played in crazy-ass prog band Spastic Ink.  Seriously, they manage to write a song in 4/4, using only C and C#, and make it freaking nuts.  And the best part is, it actually grooves, unlike a lot of insane prog out there.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Cerulaetas

Heavy metal
« Reply #116 on: 11 Mar 2006, 00:18 »

Quote from: youbelongtothecity

Take a look into Sullenoid.  I posted a link to one of their songs in the Graduation Songs thread.

Quote from: ChozSun

stuff

Check out Ayreon, Time Requiem, and Sage when it comes to prog.  I guess Stream of Passion could also work, but haven't heard too much from it, and even though Arjen Anthony Lucassen (the guy from Ayreon) is running the show in that one, it may not be as proggy as his other stuff.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
Heavy metal
« Reply #117 on: 11 Mar 2006, 04:55 »

Quote from: Bastardous Bassist
crazy-ass prog band Spastic Ink

Hell yes!

As for Jesu. Their album was kind of a disappointment. I fell in love with the EP, beautiful hypnotic ambient sludge. So I baught the album, and found it boring, all the songs just sounded the same to me. I need to give it another listen though.
I really hope Justin Broadrick will realese another album with this project.
I understand there's a new EP, anyone heard it yet?
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Heavy metal
« Reply #118 on: 11 Mar 2006, 05:57 »

straight up metal meets hardcore

I thought that was Stormtroopers of Death.

I have friends who play me endless amounts of metalcore. Everyone from Sinai Beach to Shai Hulud to Bleeding Through to Bring Me the Horizon to OMG OLD UNEARTH BEFORE THEY SOLD OUT LIEK through to any old commercial rubbish and so on and so forth. Still not found any I like, or anything to erase my opinion that metalcore and modern hardcore should be swept under the carpet and replaced entirely with 80's thrash, grind, crossover and hardcore.

@Kikan: That's a ballad versus an album. Also, 'soppiness' is not the issue here, it's damn stupid fucking bullshit cliche emo imagery, lyrics and musical elements designed only to sell albums and not enhance the sound or image of the band in any way, means, or form. Something which, incidentally, Iron Maiden are not clean from, although in another form. You cannot tell me that the whole band was not thinking 'AIRPLAY AIRPLAY AIRPLAY' when they wrote 'Can I Play With Madness?'.

Hopefully the emocore bubble is going to pop really soon and all the bands who jumped on the bandwagon are going to be left in a musical limbo as profound as all those latter-day nu-metal acts.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Heavy metal
« Reply #119 on: 11 Mar 2006, 06:29 »

....or Run to the Hills. :D

I myself just can't get into the whole metalcore... thing. It just doesn't sound all that great to me. A friend of mine is pretty gung-ho about it.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

kikanjuuneko

Heavy metal
« Reply #120 on: 11 Mar 2006, 08:55 »

I have friends who play me endless amounts of metalcore. Everyone from Sinai Beach to Shai Hulud to Bleeding Through to Bring Me the Horizon to OMG OLD UNEARTH BEFORE THEY SOLD OUT LIEK through to any old commercial rubbish and so on and so forth. Still not found any I like, or anything to erase my opinion that metalcore and modern hardcore should be swept under the carpet and replaced entirely with 80's thrash, grind, crossover and hardcore.

@Kikan: That's a ballad versus an album. Also, 'soppiness' is not the issue here, it's damn stupid fucking bullshit cliche emo imagery, lyrics and musical elements designed only to sell albums and not enhance the sound or image of the band in any way, means, or form. Something which, incidentally, Iron Maiden are not clean from, although in another form. You cannot tell me that the whole band was not thinking 'AIRPLAY AIRPLAY AIRPLAY' when they wrote 'Can I Play With Madness?'.

Hopefully the emocore bubble is going to pop really soon and all the bands who jumped on the bandwagon are going to be left in a musical limbo as profound as all those latter-day nu-metal acts.

That's because you're goddamned stupid, then. I'm done with this debate, as I've had it fucking five times on these forums already, and you people are too fucking numb in your dicks to realize that it's a genre like any other one. You don't have to like it, but you don't have to be fucking dicks about it either. I don't like the majority of the music people discuss here, but I'm not all like "OMG THIS MUSIC SUCKS HGLHBLUGHGHUGL".

Fuck it, I'm done with these forums. As I said in the other thread, there's like three people I really like who frequent or have frequented these forums (Norma, Sam and Lauren), and the rest of you make me want to go on a killing spree.

Good luck to you, Rizzo. I hope these fucking cocks don't drive you insane.

nescience

Heavy metal
« Reply #121 on: 11 Mar 2006, 09:34 »

Now THAT'S the way to go.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Heavy metal
« Reply #122 on: 11 Mar 2006, 14:28 »

Ditto; I'm also partial to a little Sunn-O))) style soundscape-metal, and also Mastadon and Femme Fatale.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
Heavy metal
« Reply #123 on: 11 Mar 2006, 14:33 »

Quote from: Johnny C

Ditto; I'm also partial to a little Sunn-O))) style soundscape-metal, and also Mastadon and Femme Fatale.

Negura Bunget?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Heavy metal
« Reply #124 on: 11 Mar 2006, 14:37 »

I'm sorry, I don't know what that means or is. Do explain?
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
Heavy metal
« Reply #125 on: 11 Mar 2006, 14:48 »

Quote from: Johnny C
I'm sorry, I don't know what that means or is. Do explain?

Sorry, that was me being a minimalist poster.

If you're into the whole soundscape thing I would suggest for your listening pleasure a neat little combo called Negura Bunget. They are awesome. Their latest CD has four tracks: |, ||, |||, ||||.

Now, that's cool.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
Heavy metal
« Reply #126 on: 11 Mar 2006, 14:58 »

You might also like the japanese group Boris.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Heavy metal
« Reply #127 on: 11 Mar 2006, 15:03 »

Quote from: kikanjuuneko

That's because you're goddamned stupid, then. I'm done with this debate, as I've had it fucking five times on these forums already, and you people are too fucking numb in your dicks to realize that it's a genre like any other one. You don't have to like it, but you don't have to be fucking dicks about it either. I don't like the majority of the music people discuss here, but I'm not all like "OMG THIS MUSIC SUCKS HGLHBLUGHGHUGL".

Fuck it, I'm done with these forums. As I said in the other thread, there's like three people I really like who frequent or have frequented these forums (Norma, Sam and Lauren), and the rest of you make me want to go on a killing spree.

Good luck to you, Rizzo. I hope these fucking cocks don't drive you insane.[/quote]

Way to prove that everone to do with emocore isn't a whiny self-obsessed drama queen there.

OH WAIT.

You really are a fucking moron. All I'm saying, and please say you disagree with this, because you probably ARE still reading this, is that there is a current trend for pathetic emocore bollocks which has caused many bad bands to be formed and be given record contracts, sometimes based on just what they look like (Aiden anyone?): metalcore bands have watered down, indie bands have added a bit of screaming, everyone's a jumping on a bandwagon fuelled by the money of 14 year olds.  It's EXACTLY what happened with nu-metal. I wasn't even dissing your fucking true scene, I just said I don't like it. All I was dissing was commercialised shit.

Anyway, I was lying. I forgot I liked SikTh, though I'm not sure I'd call them Metalcore. I like some old Blood Brothers stuff as well. There, happy?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Heavy metal
« Reply #128 on: 11 Mar 2006, 15:04 »

are they both metalcore? I have a SikTh album, and March On, Electric Children is ace.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Heavy metal
« Reply #129 on: 11 Mar 2006, 15:12 »

Well, SikTh obviously have some metal. And some core. Dissolved in a big pot of crack. They're probably light mathcore or something. They're about twenty times zanier than DEP anyway. Just for 'How May I Help You?'. Pirate vocals are always the win. I only really liked about half of 'The Trees are Dead and Dried Out, Wait For Something Wild' though. The real problem I have with metalcore is I find something deeply unlikeable about the rhythms and drumming of modern hardcore. It just rubs me up. The rest of it is mainly Gothenburg MDM, which I don't mind at all, but the rhythms and breakdowns just grate on me, as does the emo singing style. There'll be bits I like in a lot of songs, even by bands like Bullet For My Valentine (not surprising with the amount of riffs they pilfer from Dark Tranquillity), but then they'll ruin it totally, and I can only really like a song I like bits of if I find the rest of the song 'ok' and not 'ewww'.

I've got Burn Piano Island, Burn and rather enjoy it. Tracks I've hard off later efforts have just been too...normal, however.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Heavy metal
« Reply #130 on: 11 Mar 2006, 15:28 »

I think I have The Trees are Dead and Dried Out...

And yeah, Crimes (their latest album) was pretty "meh". This Adultery is Ripe, March On Electric Children ,and Piano Island are pretty fancy though.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Heavy metal
« Reply #131 on: 11 Mar 2006, 15:43 »

Well, Trees... is their only full-length, as far as I know, so it's probably that.

They're very, very good live. Bands of that sort tend to be better live than on CD, I find. Nothing like a crowd of people with raised fists all chanting "LOOK AT THE SKY! LOOK AT THE SKY!"

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
Heavy metal
« Reply #132 on: 11 Mar 2006, 16:30 »

Quote from: kikanjuuneko

Good luck to you, Rizzo. I hope these fucking cocks don't drive you insane.

Woah there son, someone needs to call the wahhhbulance. He'll be back. Besides, I only _like_ metalcore, I _love_ industrial, punk and goth which are all happily discussed here.

Way to prove that everone to do with emocore isn't a whiny self-obsessed drama queen there.
Anyway, I was lying. I forgot I liked SikTh, though I'm not sure I'd call them Metalcore. I like some old Blood Brothers stuff as well. There, happy?

I'd say 98 metalcore bands out of 100 are utter trash so there's no point in trying to defend most of them. I do however object to the comment that all metalcore is bad. As you've said yourself, you like sikTh(who I've never heard of) and bloodbrothers.
Ehhhh, all this genre stuff is crap anyway. Most of these bands are pop so back to the heavy metal!

Can anyone recommend something in the vein of Red Harvest only not so shit?
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Heavy metal
« Reply #133 on: 11 Mar 2006, 16:34 »

ABORYM.

Next?

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
Heavy metal
« Reply #134 on: 11 Mar 2006, 16:35 »

And not Aborym.

I'd be talking to you on MSN but I'm at work... wooo internet access.
So yeah, not Aborym.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Heavy metal
« Reply #135 on: 11 Mar 2006, 16:39 »

Can I ask what Red Harvest is?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Heavy metal
« Reply #136 on: 11 Mar 2006, 16:39 »

AXIS OF PERDITION

Next?

Red Harvest call themselves 'Apocalyptic Industrial Cyber Metal' as far as I remember. Should give you a pretty good indication.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
Heavy metal
« Reply #137 on: 11 Mar 2006, 16:43 »

Can I ask what Red Harvest is?

They call themselves "Industrail metal" but they're not very good at it... Aborym are much better but I still don't like em.
Axis of Perdition aye? I shall investigate.

Ok another musical challenge for Khar...
Are there any metalbands out there that sound something like Venetian Snares/Error but heavier? Really glitchy metal (Not DEP because they're just dischordant and meh). Any help?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Heavy metal
« Reply #138 on: 11 Mar 2006, 16:52 »

Well...what do you want from Industrial metal? Axis of Perdition are the heaviest shit ever you can get from combining black metal and industrial in a relatively hi-fi way, I would say.

Hmnnnn, glitchy metal? That one kinda stumps me. I guess you could try later Discordance Axis stuff. It's metallic grindcore, but the drumming is kinda glitchy, I suppose. If you could give me an example track as to what your looking for, it would help.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Heavy metal
« Reply #139 on: 11 Mar 2006, 16:54 »

Discordance Axis are amazing.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
Heavy metal
« Reply #140 on: 11 Mar 2006, 16:57 »

I'm thinking something along the lines of "Die Winnipeg, die die die fuckers die" By Venetian Snares, meets "Jack The Ripper" By Error meets heavy metal.
I dunno. I'm on  bit of a gltich kick at the moment. Might go download some digigrind. Or just listen to Nasum for a few hours when I get home, after all I am a programmer now. By rights I should listen to nothing but goregrind all the time... it's what progammers do!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Heavy metal
« Reply #141 on: 11 Mar 2006, 17:02 »

Psh, Nasum are posercore. Real programmers listen to the Cock and Ball Torture/Libido Airbag Split on endless repeat until bits of their face start falling off.

ChozSun

Heavy metal
« Reply #142 on: 11 Mar 2006, 17:07 »

Quote from: Everyone
Blind Guardian, Ayreon, Time Requiem, Sage, Stream of Passion, Spastic Ink

This is why I knew this thread would rock.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
Heavy metal
« Reply #143 on: 11 Mar 2006, 17:09 »

I didn't think nasum were core at all...
Besides, I'm only studying programming so I can be as posey as I want to... I'm a student.
Maybe just put Zombie Grinder 3000 on in the background. Meeeean.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Heavy metal
« Reply #144 on: 11 Mar 2006, 17:21 »

Mean indeed.

But please stop posting. Your sig quote makes me cry. I'm trying to listen to some Horna to keep myself grim, but the tears just keep welling up.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
Heavy metal
« Reply #145 on: 11 Mar 2006, 17:28 »

Truly grym and necro? :D
Sorry dude. I'll stop now and replace when someone says something that funny... which no one will.
Yeah, I'm changing shifts now so I won't be on the net anymore.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
Heavy metal
« Reply #146 on: 11 Mar 2006, 19:31 »

Has anyone here heard enough Arafel to suggest getting more of it? I'm looking at you, Misereatur
also israel

Cerulaetas

Heavy metal
« Reply #147 on: 11 Mar 2006, 21:32 »

Ok another musical challenge for Khar...
Are there any metalbands out there that sound something like Venetian Snares/Error but heavier? Really glitchy metal (Not DEP because they're just dischordant and meh). Any help?

I'm not quite sure what glitchy metal is, but to satisfy either this or your previous question (the Apocalyptic Industrial Metal or whatever you called it), I would recommend The Kovenant - SETI.  Most people think it's not so great because they were expecting something along the lines of Animatronic (which I don't own, but I've heard a little off of) and they're completely different as far as I know.  Still, SETI is awesome when it comes to the industrial vein of things, rather than a "techno-ish black metal" like Animatronic is supposed to be.  There's a song sample here, but it's a .ram format, meaning it uses realplayer.  Best I can do though.  Also, for reference, the rest of the CD sounds very little like that song, it's much more industrial, but it gives a good idea of what The Kovenant is capable of doing.

As for some more prog bands, Lyranthe, Opus Atlantica, Evergrey, Sage.  Evergrey and Sage are a bit heavier, but I like them both a lot.  Lyranthe I don't like so much, but you may, and Opus Atlantica I've only heard a little by so I won't pass judgement, but you can check them out as well.

Trollstormur: Arafel!?  I've heard one thing by them (Serpent Land)... very interested in hearing more.  I'm looking at you as well Misereatur :)

El Opium

Heavy metal
« Reply #148 on: 11 Mar 2006, 21:59 »

There are a few noise artists who do metal influenced cut-ups. Kevin Drumm is probably the best known.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
Heavy metal
« Reply #149 on: 12 Mar 2006, 04:48 »

Quote from: Trollstormur
Has anyone here heard enough Arafel to suggest getting more of it? I'm looking at you, Misereatur

Actually, I've never really been into Arafel. I understand their first album is rather good. I heard a couple of songs from it and aside from the bad recording quality it was pretty good.
Their new album, The Second Strike: Through The Flame Of The Ages, should be also good, alas, I didnt buy it yet.
Found some revies on it just now:
http://nocturnalhall.com/frameindex_e.htm
http://www.metalstorm.ee/reviews/more_review.php?id=1496

No use going into their website, they hav'nt updated it since 2004.

You people might also want to try Orphaned Land. Prog' death metal with oriental influences. One of the best israeli bands out there.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up