THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 09:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Heavy metal  (Read 50656 times)

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Heavy metal
« Reply #50 on: 06 Mar 2006, 17:25 »

I totally didn't even bother looking on iTunes for Skyclad until just now. They have Prince of the Poverty Line, Folkemon, and Silent Whales of the Lunar Seas. What would be some good songs to get off those three albums?
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Heavy metal
« Reply #51 on: 06 Mar 2006, 17:59 »

Shit, just buy Prince of the Poverty Line.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Soidanae

• Obscure cultural reference
Heavy metal
« Reply #52 on: 06 Mar 2006, 19:32 »

Twice.
I believe these are the days of lasers in the jungle, lasers in the jungle somewhere.  Staccato signals of constant information, a loose affiliation of millionaires and billionaires, and baby, these are the days of miracles and wonders.

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
Heavy metal
« Reply #53 on: 06 Mar 2006, 19:57 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Has anyone even said Mercyful Fate or Judas Priest yet? Please say yes.

I don't think so, actually.  The people who like the bands figured they were far too obvious, I'm guessing (that's what I did).
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
Heavy metal
« Reply #54 on: 06 Mar 2006, 23:18 »

I was gonna post something here, but I realized it would just be metal masturbation, as I don't have anything new to contribute.

metalurbation
also israel

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Heavy metal
« Reply #55 on: 07 Mar 2006, 03:38 »

Quote from: Bastardous Bassist

I don't think so, actually.  The people who like the bands figured they were far too obvious, I'm guessing (that's what I did).

Possibly. But I'd also say that, if you wanted to get a pretty good idea of what, at it's root, just listen to Mercyful Fate - Evil and Judas Priest - All Guns Blazing. It will straighten your teeth and enlarge your penis.

Even if you do not have one.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
Heavy metal
« Reply #56 on: 07 Mar 2006, 06:43 »

Do I listen to metal? Are bears catholic? Does the pope shit in the woods? But as always, this forum is so blimmin' pussy and predictable :p. Props to Misereatur, fucking nice list, but people, people, people. No mention I've seen of Burzum

Has anyone even said Mercyful Fate or Judas Priest yet? Please say yes.

I'm jewish. If I see Burzum I'd like to stab his eyes out and piss in the bleeding holes. And I think his music is godawful.
Dont get me wrong, I have alot of respect for you, I just fucking hate Burzum.

That being said, I only mentioned a very small part of the music I listen to. I thought a full list would just be too long and will be considerd spam.
And yes, Mercyful Fate are absolutly brilliant. The best Penis enlarging metal band.

Plus, Mercyful Fate, Celtic Frost and Venom pretty much invented black metal.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Heavy metal
« Reply #57 on: 07 Mar 2006, 12:09 »

I'm not a nazi. Jeez. And it's not as if Burzum is even nazi music, really. Varg is a nazi, but Burzum itself is probably only about as nationalistic as, say, Wagner. It's widely ackowledged Varg is a complete cunt (though I find him a somewhat more interesting cunt since I learned the majority of online Burzum interviews are fake. Still only interesting in the same way as, say, Stalin. I'd love to mix his personal accounts and the newspaper and police reports to make a film of the whole inner circle crap that didn't sensationalise or romanticise anything), but I simply find him an extremely good minimalist BM and dark/black ambient composer/musician, and some Burzum tracks (War, Ea, Lord of the Depths, Han Som Reiste, Dunkelheit, Tomhet) are just among my favourite ever. I simply dissosciate music and man. I can only listen to nazi shit if I can't hear it in the lyrics. I mean, I like me a bit of Nokturnal Mortum as well, but I simply had to delete 'Call of the Aryan Spirit' because shit like that is just awful. I mean, fair enough, loathe him, but I cannot more disagree on the music. At the very least, you have to acknowledge that his works are extremely seminal. I myself would count Burzum as a musical influence, and his mixing of ambient and even trance elements into the composition of raw black metal has spawned some great stuff. You wouldn't have Wyrd without Burzum, for example. Only thing is, of all my favourite bands, I would simply never buy a Burzum album or official Burzum merchandise. Which is kind of a pity because it's pretty much the only way to get Theodor Kittelsen t-shirts, but there you go.

At least if you don't like Burzum as Burzum, download Ewigkeit's cover of Ea, Lord of the Deeps (called 'Ea 2000: Out For the Count'). He totally takes the piss out of it with zany samples and pirate backing vocals mocking the lyrics, and yet still makes it awesome grim shit. I love it. But then, I practically worship Jim Fogarty and all his works as if he were a God, which I'm not convinced he isn't.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Bastardous Bassist

Heavy metal
« Reply #58 on: 07 Mar 2006, 12:55 »

Possibly. But I'd also say that, if you wanted to get a pretty good idea of what, at it's root, just listen to Mercyful Fate - Evil and Judas Priest - All Guns Blazing. It will straighten your teeth and enlarge your penis.

True.  I just figure it's like someone popping up and asking, "Do you listen to classical music?" and 50 people responding with Mozart at the top of their list.  Yes, they're great and vitally important, but if you don't know them already, you should probably be shot.  Twice.  In the spleen.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

lessthanfirst

Heavy metal
« Reply #59 on: 07 Mar 2006, 13:37 »

Quote from: lessthanfirst
I think most metal is pretty shit. I like Pantera and Metallica (and Megadeth in very short doses) but most metal's just crappy riffs and guitarists trying to outdo each other by either cramming a ridiculous amount of notes into their shitty little guitar solos or trying to outdo each other by seeing who can detune their low E string the most. The double bass drum or double pass pedal is also a bit of a shit invention. I think Poison the Well are the only band I've ever heard use it effectively because if you have the bass drum too loud it doesn't fill the low end. It has nothing interesting to it, just a load of beats on the bass drum except really rapid - big deal. Most metal riffs sound exactly the same, as do the endlessly long solos and death/black metal vocals are just terrible. (This is just my opinion though, don't all you metal fans be taking any offence now :) )

I like Ensiferum though, folk metal, it's kind of fun.

Pantera?  Oh God, I'm sorry.  You're entitled to your own opinion, but I put forth that you haven't listened to the right metal.  Most of what is classified as metal is crap (in my opinion).  However, if you manage to find the right bands, it's really awesome.

I'm quite interested in thrash metal actually but I don't really know much about it.

Bastardous Bassist

Heavy metal
« Reply #60 on: 07 Mar 2006, 13:40 »

I'm not too familiar with thrash metal, but I listen to some Metallica, some Motorhead, a bunch of Megadeth (though, a bunch of their later stuff isn't really thrash), as much as I can of The Crown, but that's about all I know of thrash.  There are numerous other people here who know a lot more about thrash than I.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
Heavy metal
« Reply #61 on: 07 Mar 2006, 15:07 »

I'm not a nazi. Jeez. And it's not as if Burzum is even nazi music, really. Varg is a nazi, but Burzum itself is probably only about as nationalistic as, say, Wagner. It's widely ackowledged Varg is a complete cunt (though I find him a somewhat more interesting cunt since I learned the majority of online Burzum interviews are fake. Still only interesting in the same way as, say, Stalin. I'd love to mix his personal accounts and the newspaper and police reports to make a film of the whole inner circle crap that didn't sensationalise or romanticise anything), but I simply find him an extremely good minimalist BM and dark/black ambient composer/musician, and some Burzum tracks (War, Ea, Lord of the Depths, Han Som Reiste, Dunkelheit, Tomhet) are just among my favourite ever. I simply dissosciate music and man. I can only listen to nazi shit if I can't hear it in the lyrics. I mean, I like me a bit of Nokturnal Mortum as well, but I simply had to delete 'Call of the Aryan Spirit' because shit like that is just awful. I mean, fair enough, loathe him, but I cannot more disagree on the music. At the very least, you have to acknowledge that his works are extremely seminal. I myself would count Burzum as a musical influence, and his mixing of ambient and even trance elements into the composition of raw black metal has spawned some great stuff. You wouldn't have Wyrd without Burzum, for example. Only thing is, of all my favourite bands, I would simply never buy a Burzum album or official Burzum merchandise. Which is kind of a pity because it's pretty much the only way to get Theodor Kittelsen t-shirts, but there you go.

At least if you don't like Burzum as Burzum, download Ewigkeit's cover of Ea, Lord of the Deeps (called 'Ea 2000: Out For the Count'). He totally takes the piss out of it with zany samples and pirate backing vocals mocking the lyrics, and yet still makes it awesome grim shit. I love it. But then, I practically worship Jim Fogarty and all his works as if he were a God, which I'm not convinced he isn't.

I never said that youre a nazi, nor have I said that you love nazi music.
I cant stand nazi artists because of their believes, no mattar how good their music is.
Burzum is nazi, therefor I cant stand him. I dont care if he's a major influence to other, non-nazi bands. I wont listen to his music.
Burzum even killed for his belives. One of the reasons he killed Euronymous is because he was a "Jew Lover" - Euronymous's pen-pal was the vocalist of the israeli death metal band Salem (Dead even wore their "Destruction Till Death" shirt in one of their photoshoots).

Anyway, I will download that cover, sounds iteresting.
I also heard of another band, American, that coverd the same song as "Ea, Lord Of Shit"
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Heavy metal
« Reply #62 on: 07 Mar 2006, 16:00 »

On the subject of thrash metal: Totally some stuff you shoudl check out:

Testament - The Gathering. My personal Favorite of all of their albums, and one of my favorite thrash albums ever. And Alex Skolnick! Fuck YEAH! It's hardcore, it rocks out, And you need to buy it now.
Strapping Young Lad - City. I personally Like "Heavy as a Really Heavy thing" Better, but it's a good thrash album.
Stormtroopers of Death - Speak English or Die. Well, technically, I don't think they're generally called Thrash, they're close enough for me to totally require you to buy them.
Slayer - Reign in Blood - Okay, so they're washed up and shit-tastical now, and Kerry King is fucking retarded and I hate his solos, 80's Slayer was pretty damn Ace.
Motorhead - Ace of Spades. Generally their most widely loved album (I like Orgasmatron better, but go figure). totally badass.
Judas Priest - Painkiller. While not thrash, per say, totally get this anyways.  <3 this album soooo much.
Exodus - Pleasures of the Flesh. Originally formed by Hammet (Until he left for Metallica. lameass). They kick some ass.
Anthrax - Persistance of Time. Alot of metalheads I know don't really like Anthrax for one reason or another. Those people are on drugs. They are fun.

EDIT: And I totally did not know Nokturnal Mortum were racist fucks. I don't have that much of them to tell, I guess.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
Heavy metal
« Reply #63 on: 07 Mar 2006, 16:18 »

Quote from: Kai
On the subject of thrash metal: Totally some stuff you shoudl check out:

Testament - The Gathering. My personal Favorite of all of their albums, and one of my favorite thrash albums ever. And Alex Skolnick! Fuck YEAH! It's hardcore, it rocks out, And you need to buy it now.

Skolnick had already left the band waaaaay before the Gathering.

But get every Testament album, because they are essentially pre-sellout Metallica with the overall awesomeness factor multiplied by, like, 50.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
Heavy metal
« Reply #64 on: 07 Mar 2006, 16:22 »

okay Misereatur -- first of all his name is Varg Vikernez. please please stop calling him Burzum. It's like listening to Nargaroth's "The Day Burzum killed Mayhem".

Secondly, as khar said before, "the majority of online Burzum interviews are fake." so we can't say for certain that  Varg killed Euronymous for being a "jew lover".

I admire Varg most because he had the presence of mind to distance himself immediately from the Odalism movement when he started it.

These guys are grim nekro and krieg all at the same time.
also israel

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Heavy metal
« Reply #65 on: 07 Mar 2006, 17:48 »

Er, actually, in Vargs own words, he killed Euronymus because Euronymus threatened to kill him. Apparently Euronymus threatened to kill people quite a lot, (remember, back in the old days Mayhem's idea of a jolly lark was sending severed sheeps heads to people who gave them harsh reviews) but Varg believed it was serious, so he went for him. The two fell out mainly because they were both complete egotistical bastards: Euronymus saw himself as the 'head' of the Black Metal scene because he owned the Helvete record store and Deathlike Silence Productions, whereas the press generally viewed Varg as the scene's head because 'Count Grishnack' was a much cooler name, and because his statements made better headlines. Euronymus was also more widely unpopular in the scene towards the end because it was generally believed that he drove Dead to commit suicide, and the two were not on speaking terms owing to Varg taking Burzum off DSP because Euronymus had changed some of the track titles to things he thought sounded cooler. The fact that DSP was thinking of signing Salem, and had signed Sigh, wasn't really anything to do with it.    

To be honest, there are worse crimes even within black metal. I'd say both Faust and Jon Nodtveidt probably did worse, at least Varg knew Euronymus and had some sort of motive beyond 'he felt like it'.

The 'Jew-Lover' thing seems pretty typical of fake Varg interviews. From personal experience, these are normally adulatory and written by complete nutjob nazis from some Eastern European hellhole for their crapgasmic webzine. At least its slightly more thought through than the claim that Varg had given up on metal music because guitars were a 'nigger instrument' (someone giving the situation more than five seconds thought from inside a skull not badly eroded by Skrewdriver and Prussian Blue albums would have realised that Varg is a high-escape risk, high-security prisoner, and that guitar strings are probably not at the top of the list of things the Norwegian prison service are going to give him.)

I feel kinda bad defending the guy in even a limited way, tbh, but mainly what I'm driving at is, his music is fecking awesome. No matter how much of a twatbasket he was. Most people don't like it at first, I downloaded a load of Burzum out of curiosity and then just skimmed it for a bit before leaving it. I only got hooked by the inclusion of 'Ea, Lord of the Depths' on Fenriz's 'Old School Black Metal' compilation (the same blessed disc that got me into Nattefrost, Bulldozer and Sarcofago, and made me buy Venom albums other than Black Metal and At War With Satan.) I didn't even know it was Burzum the first time because I was just listening to it without the tracklist. From there on it just grew on me.

@ Troll: Those guys are fucking awesome. The really worrying thing is their video to 'Beer Beer' is only a few degrees more cheesy than something Korpiklaani themselves would do, and synchs up far, far more neatly.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
Heavy metal
« Reply #66 on: 08 Mar 2006, 05:29 »

The wole black metal scene was fucked up back then. But Varg crossed a line as far as I'm concernd. And its hard for me to take him seriously, or listen to his music without hearing Woody Allen screaming in my head "he's a nazi!".

Anyway, I got flamed.
Never mind, I guess though I ow Khar an appology for dragging him to a needless argument about old school black metal.

The most importent thing to remember is to actually enjoy music.. so..
What do you guys think of SunnO)))'s new album?

edit: Kai totally nailed the thrash metal list
let me just add two Kreator albums: Pleasure to Kill and Extreme Aggression.
You may like their new albums, I found them a bit boring.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Heavy metal
« Reply #67 on: 08 Mar 2006, 15:18 »

I actually haven't listened to much Kreator.

On the subject of Sunn O))), I have their new album (assuming it's Black 1, someone check this  for me) but haven't actually listened to it yet. Go having too much stuff to listen to and not enough time to do it. Since starting this post, I've started listening to it, and the intro track thing is pretty fancy.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
Heavy metal
« Reply #68 on: 08 Mar 2006, 15:44 »

Kreator's classic album is Enemy of God, but certainly a great deal of their earlier material is fantastic. Sodom too, if you can get over the horrible sound quality.

And I honestly can't choose my favorite Anthrax album. Spreading the Disease, Among the Living, and the aforementioned Persistence are all very very good.

But picking a best Testament album is like picking between a group of swimsuit models.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
Heavy metal
« Reply #69 on: 08 Mar 2006, 15:45 »

I think most metal is pretty shit. I like Pantera and Metallica (and Megadeth in very short doses) but most metal's just crappy riffs and guitarists trying to outdo each other by either cramming a ridiculous amount of notes into their shitty little guitar solos or trying to outdo each other by seeing who can detune their low E string the most. The double bass drum or double pass pedal is also a bit of a shit invention. I think Poison the Well are the only band I've ever heard use it effectively because if you have the bass drum too loud it doesn't fill the low end. It has nothing interesting to it, just a load of beats on the bass drum except really rapid - big deal. Most metal riffs sound exactly the same, as do the endlessly long solos and death/black metal vocals are just terrible. (This is just my opinion though, don't all you metal fans be taking any offence now :) )

I like Ensiferum though, folk metal, it's kind of fun.

Pantera?  Oh God, I'm sorry.  You're entitled to your own opinion, but I put forth that you haven't listened to the right metal.  Most of what is classified as metal is crap (in my opinion).  However, if you manage to find the right bands, it's really awesome.

I'm quite interested in thrash metal actually but I don't really know much about it.

the only good pantera album is 'power metal' the rest basically sucks.
and i'd like to give high fives to whoever mentioned venom.

p.s. inferno is a way better motorhead album than ace of spades. i'm prolly gonna get castigated for this, but its just way better musically and more well written. don't get me wrong, ace of spades is sweet but all these "die hard" ace of spades people are just liking it to like it. people have this weird aversion to new anything. if a band stays low for awhile and then come out with a new album people always claim the 'old stuff was better' even if it wasnt (sometimes it is. see: Modey Lemon).
so, in conclusion; inferno>ace of spades
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
Heavy metal
« Reply #70 on: 08 Mar 2006, 15:50 »

Quote from: Misereatur
And its hard for me to take him seriously, or listen to his music without hearing Woody Allen screaming in my head "he's a nazi!".

That's funny because I can't watch Annie Hall without hearing varg scream "He's a JEW!"
also israel

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Heavy metal
« Reply #71 on: 08 Mar 2006, 16:09 »

We're talking about thrash...we're talking about Skyclad...what is missing...

oh yes.

"YOU STAND BEFORE THIS COURT ACCUSED OF HERESY AND WITCHCRAFT. HOW DO YE PLEAD?"

"NOT GUILTY!"

"GUILTY! GUILTY! GUILTY!"

Fucking classic.

Cerulaetas

Heavy metal
« Reply #72 on: 08 Mar 2006, 16:41 »

I don't know much about thrash, but Nevermore is pretty awesome

For black metal I, again, don't know much about it, but I've heard some.  There's Kadenzza, Arafel, and Nocte Obducta that I like (don't own any of their CDs unfortunately :/ just familiar with a few songs)

For death metal there's Eventide, Sonic Syndicate, and Kalisia.  You can get Kalisia's entire EP "Skies" (which I hear is widely acclaimed as being a pivotal progressive death metal CD) off their website.

And, for all time favorite, there's Therion.  I can't believe that no one has mentioned them yet.  Still need to acquire Theli, but I have everything from Vovin to Lemuria/Sirius B (Vovin, Crowning of Atlantis, Deggial, Secret of the Runes, Lemuria/Sirius B).

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Heavy metal
« Reply #73 on: 08 Mar 2006, 16:56 »

Quote from: Scandanavian War Machine

p.s. inferno is a way better motorhead album than ace of spades. i'm prolly gonna get castigated for this, but its just way better musically and more well written. don't get me wrong, ace of spades is sweet but all these "die hard" ace of spades people are just liking it to like it. people have this weird aversion to new anything. if a band stays low for awhile and then come out with a new album people always claim the 'old stuff was better' even if it wasnt (sometimes it is. see: Modey Lemon).
so, in conclusion; inferno>ace of spades

As I said, I actually like Orgasmatron better than any of their albums. Most people will generally tell someone new to Motorhead to get Ace of Spades though.

And I tried to download a Sabbat album and ended up with the Japanese band Sabbat. Bands with the same name should totally be punishable by death.

super_rad

Heavy metal
« Reply #74 on: 08 Mar 2006, 16:58 »

sorry to anyone who likes heavy metal, but i really don't. i respect the people who do, i won't rag on your opinions, but i really don't like heavy metal music much.

nescience

Heavy metal
« Reply #75 on: 08 Mar 2006, 17:12 »

Pussy.

super_rad

Heavy metal
« Reply #76 on: 08 Mar 2006, 17:19 »

i actually do like some parts of heavy metal. i really like the musical part of it. i really like how the people in heavy metal bands can usually play their instruments really fast and really well. i just don't like the vocals. i personally am of the opinion that it ruins the music. i'm just not a fan of the growly bear type singing.

abadname

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • double plus good
    • http://www.myspace.com/roseofsharyn7
Heavy metal
« Reply #77 on: 08 Mar 2006, 17:46 »

Poison the Well are fucking TERRIBLE.

I'm sorry but I will have to disagree with you.  Some of their stuff isn't too great, but when they are on they are ON

Also I like 3 inches of blood, Killswitch Engage, Trivium, and lately I've gotten into some hardcore and some straight edge pride hardcore. (I feel dirty saying that)

HEY THIS IS LIKE MY 2ND OR 3RD POST!
----------------------------
Alright I just thought to ask if anyone who is into metal/hardcore went to Sounds of the Underground last year or has seen the lineup for this year?

Amazing
www.soundsoftheundergroundtour.com

Check it out if you're into that stuff!  Oh and thats not all thats just the early lineup.

I'm very excited

Oh and I'm trying to follow the typing rules in this and the Movie Hopper forums.  I'm not used to typing correctly when not typing a paper.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Heavy metal
« Reply #78 on: 08 Mar 2006, 18:58 »

And I'm going to have to double disagree; I think PTW are generally terrible. And Trivium, for that matter.

I didn't go to SotU, but my friend did and loved it.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
Heavy metal
« Reply #79 on: 08 Mar 2006, 20:33 »

Quote from: super_rad
sorry to anyone who likes heavy metal, but i really don't. i respect the people who do, i won't rag on your opinions, but i really don't like heavy metal music much.

What's the point in posting in a heavy metal topic if you don't like it?

On the subject of Kreator, I heard their later work was quite industrial, how true is this? Would it be comparable to say... CNK or more like Ministry or nothing like either?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Cerulaetas

Heavy metal
« Reply #80 on: 08 Mar 2006, 20:34 »

Quote from: super_rad
i actually do like some parts of heavy metal. i really like the musical part of it. i really like how the people in heavy metal bands can usually play their instruments really fast and really well. i just don't like the vocals. i personally am of the opinion that it ruins the music. i'm just not a fan of the growly bear type singing.

Growly bear type of singing?  You're not listening to heavy metal then, most likely death metal.  My recommendations would be Nightwish, Magica, Sonata Arctica, Therion, later Sentenced, Nightmare, and Blind Guardian.  Ok, most of those are power metal, but power metal is quite close to heavy metal, just with some minor stylistic differences, as opposed to what can happen when it comes to death metal...

Also, a great resource for getting into metal is Metal Storm Radio.  It focuses on the more melodic metal genres, like power metal, progressive metal, heavy metal, and gothic metal, though there are a few bands in the mix that fall under the extreme metal genres of thrash, black, and death.

And I'm going to have to double disagree; I think PTW are generally terrible. And Trivium, for that matter.

Add Killswitch Engage to that list.

Bastardous Bassist

Heavy metal
« Reply #81 on: 08 Mar 2006, 20:39 »

I concur with the Killswitch comment.  The computer at my radio station has some Killswitch, and I listened to it to find out if maybe someone else had loaded up some music that I could use on my show (there is some pretty good jazz that people loaded up, so I figured someone might have good taste in metal, too).  Well, basically I stay away from that which is marked "Thrash" from now on, because all that's there is Killswitch and Hatebreed.  No thank you.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
Heavy metal
« Reply #82 on: 08 Mar 2006, 20:39 »

I disagree, Killswitch were one of the first to do what they do. And they still do it better than any of the current bands.

Actually. I haven't heard anything from their later albums, for all I know they could be an MCR tribute band.

*Puts on "Alive or just breathing"*
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Cerulaetas

Heavy metal
« Reply #83 on: 08 Mar 2006, 20:51 »

Sure, Killswitch may be the first to do what they do (whatever that may be), but it's not a style I like particularly.  I can't get into their musicianship, and their vocals just bother me (the screams are terrible, the clean vocals not that great).  The closest to them that I listen to would have to be Sonic Syndicate (two free clips on their "releases" page), which I actually enjoy (especially the song Jailbreak).  Trivium isn't so bad, because musically they're really talented, it's just that their vocalist completely ruins it.

Bastardous: I'm not one for thrash really, but Nevermore is quite good.  The radio link I posted has Nevermore in its database, that's an easy way to get some exposure to the band.  Also, Yahoo! Music Videos has three videos by Nevermore, all of which are quality songs.

But yeah, Hatebreeder and Killswitch, not so good.  I'm not even sure if I'd classify those as thrash, probably as thrashy nu-metal, but not actual thrash.

Bastardous Bassist

Heavy metal
« Reply #84 on: 08 Mar 2006, 20:56 »

Oh, I am a wee bit familiar with thrash (definitely familiar with Nevermore), but my radio station doesn't have any of it, which means I can't play any of it on-air (we're trying to get an FCC license, so we can only play 100% legal stuff, an our manager is limiting us to only using actcual, store-bought CDs).
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
Heavy metal
« Reply #85 on: 08 Mar 2006, 21:49 »

I wouldn't call Nevermore thrash, really. Honestly, I can't define them. They're like Watchtower with a power vocalist and incredibly better sound quality.

And Killswitch, Trivium, and Poison the Well all suck. A lot. Like, one-step-up-from-Korn bad.

El Opium

Heavy metal
« Reply #86 on: 08 Mar 2006, 22:17 »

I recently got hold of Darkthrone's A Blaze in the Northern Sky and I like it a lot. Has a nice raw sound that's somewhat akin to the overdriven thud rock I tend to like.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Heavy metal
« Reply #87 on: 08 Mar 2006, 23:11 »

Quote from: Rizzo

Actually. I haven't heard anything from their later albums, for all I know they could be an MCR tribute band.

If I'm thinking of the right band, emo like a crazy thing.

There's such a thing as 'nu-thrash' or 'future thrash' (if you're being generous. If you're being REALLY generous it's sometimes called 'Groove Metal') that covers stuff like the above mentioned, Raunchy (who win the genre just for their videos), Chimaira, Pantera etc. I quite like a few songs off of 'Cowboys From Hell', but that may just be the nostalgia talking, I haven't got anything later than that.

If you dislike all the vocals in every metal band ever, there's something wrong with ye. The genre encompasses everything from classically trained opera vocals, through to screams, grunts and growls, and every shade in-between. Including just good ol' fashioned rock 'n roll.

nescience

Heavy metal
« Reply #88 on: 08 Mar 2006, 23:34 »

Not to throw myself into non-joking discussion of metal, but I would guess that if someone says they tend not to like metal vocals on a large scale, it's probably due to the level of theatricality used in metal vocals (a rather general artifact of metal's roots in glam) rather than technical considerations.  It's not a sentiment I share, I'm just sayin'.  Whether screamy, trilly, shouty, grunty, sludgy, or otherwisey, this "over-the-topness" is an element that pretty much all vocal metal has to share, and I can see that being off-putting to some.

As counterpoint, I'd take as an example Jeff Mangum, a vocalist whose style (and songwriting) I dislike, but whose voice lacks the theatricality of metal in favor of rather simple emotions.  I could see someone preferring a style of voice with less, shall we say, decorum.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
Heavy metal
« Reply #89 on: 09 Mar 2006, 00:13 »

Quote from: Rizzo

There's such a thing as 'nu-thrash' or 'future thrash' (if you're being generous. If you're being REALLY generous it's sometimes called 'Groove Metal') that covers stuff like the above mentioned,

Like I said, haven't heard anything since... 99? I don't think I'd ever call KSE thrash. Maybe pop metal or metalcore at a stretch but never thrash.

kikanjuuneko

Heavy metal
« Reply #90 on: 09 Mar 2006, 02:07 »

You might be thinking of the right band, but with the wrong classification. A clean chorus every now and then doesn't automatically equal emo.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
Heavy metal
« Reply #91 on: 09 Mar 2006, 02:17 »

On the subject of Sunn O))), I have their new album (assuming it's Black 1, someone check this  for me) but haven't actually listened to it yet. Go having too much stuff to listen to and not enough time to do it. Since starting this post, I've started listening to it, and the intro track thing is pretty fancy.

Yeah, I was talking about Black 1. Its really more "metal" then their other albums, that tend to be more ambient then metal. I was even suprised to hear growls on the album.
I listened to it only a couple of times but I like it. Even more then White 1 and 2.

Quote from: Storm Rider
I wouldn't call Nevermore thrash, really. Honestly, I can't define them. They're like Watchtower with a power vocalist and incredibly better sound quality.

And Killswitch, Trivium, and Poison the Well all suck. A lot. Like, one-step-up-from-Korn bad.

Nevermore are thrash in my opinion. They have more thrash in their music then other influences.

The "future thrash" or "nu-thrash" is basically metalcore. With exeption of Unearth, Lamb Of God and maby a few other bands, most of it sucks.

If you dislike all the vocals in every metal band ever, there's something wrong with ye. The genre encompasses everything from classically trained opera vocals, through to screams, grunts and growls, and every shade in-between. Including just good ol' fashioned rock 'n roll.

Quoted just to say yeah. If you dont like metal vocals you just didnt listen to enough of it.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
Heavy metal
« Reply #92 on: 09 Mar 2006, 09:36 »

Yeah, there's no set style of vocals employed by all metal singers worldwide :\ if in doubt, listen to the song "The Genuine Pulse" by Borknagar for proof. Anyone who's heard it will know what I mean.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Heavy metal
« Reply #93 on: 09 Mar 2006, 11:34 »

@ Kikan: A few light choruses may not be emo, but calling your album 'The End of Heartache', putting this on the cover:

and having lyrics like this:

"Numb and broken, here I stand alone
Wondering what were the last words I said to you
Hoping, praying that I'll find a way to turn back time
Can I turn back time?

What would I give to behold
The smile, the face of love?
You never left me
The rising sun will always speak your name

Numb and broken, here I stand alone
Wondering what were the last words I said to you
It won't be long, we'll meet again

What would I give to behold
The smile, the face of love?
You never left me
The rising sun will always speak your name"

Emo, my friend. Fucking emo, in the most perjorative neologistic sense of the word. Ie: cash-in whores.

@ Amok:

"The genuine pulse! The link of a thoooousand senses.
The genuine pulse! Entire celestial allegiance!
The genuine pulse! Dense induce of the indomitable!
Never to fail thus existence I sail..
THROOOOOOUGH THE ELEMENTS OF FOUUUUUUR"

It's the formula to fucking WIN at post-black metal: ALWAYS get Vintersorg or Trickster G. to sing on your album. For examples of the latters madness, check out 'La Masquerade Infernale' by Arcturus and 'Themes From William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell' by Ulver. Fuck me.

"OHPITYTHEFOOLISHYOUNGMAN! CONSIDERTHEBURNINGDUNGEONTHOUARTCREATINGFORTHYSELFFORALLETERNITY!"

nescience

Heavy metal
« Reply #94 on: 09 Mar 2006, 12:56 »

Quote from: amok
Yeah, there's no set style of vocals employed by all metal singers worldwide :\ if in doubt, listen to the song "The Genuine Pulse" by Borknagar for proof. Anyone who's heard it will know what I mean.

I'm not necessarily talking about style (though the other person above may have been), but maybe attitude.  See, when I hear that song you mentioned I still hear the thing that I'm talking about.  That guy's voice, while more subdued than some of the more genre-typical metal vocals that I've heard (croakers like Bathory to growlers like The Sun to testicularly-challenged howlers like Rhapsody), still has an element of this difficult-to-explain "metalness" to it.  It also (probably unintentionally) palpably reminds me of "Visual-kei", a very theatrical Japanese hard rock subgenre.  So while I don't mean to overgeneralize, but I think it's possible that there really is some je nais se quois* element inherent in vocals in the genre that you can find pretty much throughout the genre, and that element seems to have something to do with at least a glam influence.  

(edit) I'm also not saying this element is exclusive to metal, so one could certainly express a dispreference for it where it is found elsewhere; operatic voices not inspired by soul like Lydia Lunch or solo Freddie Mercury could potentially be viewed similarly, and Patton certainly takes his pipes outside the realm of metal.

I'm not sure this is making sense to y'all.  And why am I defending someone else's statement that I don't even agree with?

*Refer to the "Words/Phrases you HATE" thread

(edited for continuity)

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
Heavy metal
« Reply #95 on: 09 Mar 2006, 13:04 »

call me nuts but I don't hear a glam influence in bands like Darkthrone

I mean, they look like ponces, but in terms of sound... well, maybe I haven't been listening to enough glam :)

edit: ah, I see what you mean now... my point about that song was the way he's growling and doing the operatic singing thing. if someone dislikes operatic singing in rock across the board then fair enough I guess, but "metal" as a genre encompasses so many different styles (both of music and of vocals) that you can't really pin down one style of metal singing. If you're just referring to the Judas Priest school of metal vocals then fair enough ;)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Heavy metal
« Reply #96 on: 09 Mar 2006, 13:35 »

Quote from: nescience
It also (probably unintentionally) palpably reminds me of "Visual-kei", a very theatrical Japanese hard rock subgenre.  

That would maybe be because Visual Kei got kicked off by metal bands like X-Japan.

What you are trying to say is that metal is not lo-fi, soul-less mumbling?

CORRECT SIR.

You are basically saying that metal singers sing in a way that fits the music. Check some decent metal ballads and whatnot, or later Skyclad stuff or something like that, for an example of how the vocalists change when they move off metal. You couldn't have some ball-less, radioheadesque warbling along with a slab of kick-ass metal. That would just be awful. If you have powerful music, you need powerful vocals. If you want silly music, you gotta have silly vocals. If you want to wimp, you gotta wimp.

nescience

Heavy metal
« Reply #97 on: 09 Mar 2006, 13:58 »

Hence my argument that one could indeed disprefer the theatricality (perhaps even flamboyance) of metal vocals entirely and not necessarily be accused of overgeneralizing or jumping to conclusions.

abadname

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • double plus good
    • http://www.myspace.com/roseofsharyn7
Heavy metal
« Reply #98 on: 09 Mar 2006, 15:01 »

Ha you guys hate 3 of my favorite bands.  Trivium is super talented musicly but when Mathew sings its not as good but he can scream.  Poison the Well is good in small doses as long as its the right song.  And I really like Killswitch, Howard may not be too great at writing but he sings the older stuff a thousand times better than the other singer.

I liked almost every band on sotu last year (minus devil driver, clutch, and afew others)

But lately I've gotten super into hardcore and for some strange reason straightxedge pride bands (casey jones) and liek 2 throwdown songs

but we are talking about metal, I can't stand metalica any more!

Oh and korn is a million billion trillion thousand million times worse than killswitch but korn is still waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy better than limp bizkit or slipknot

OH! and even if you don't like trivium if you've seen them live you respect them.  They are by far the best band I've ever seen play live. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents *toss*

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Heavy metal
« Reply #99 on: 09 Mar 2006, 15:14 »

I've seen Trivium live.

I still don't really respect them. Yes, they have a good guitarist, big woop. Bands are a complete package. They have crap stage presence and crowd interaction, and the crowd and pit was so awful (not just a goddamned windmilling pit, but a goddamned windmilling pit full of 13 year olds I could have broken like dolls), that rather then get myself down after getting totally blown away by 3 Inches of Blood (the only reason I was there), I went to the bar and watched small kids with bad taste get hurt. In reflection, that's also probably what I should have done at the Dillinger Escape Plan/Poison the Well (spit) co-headliner gig, like, the moment Ephel Duath stopped playing. The only good bit of the gig was when they encored with a cover of Master of Puppets, but that was kinda put down by my memories of seeing Apocalyptica ripping up the whole fucking Brixton Academy with that song on fucking Cello. Now that's a live experience.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up