THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 11:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keasbey Nights vs. Keasbey Nights  (Read 3786 times)

Evilpopsicleguy

Keasbey Nights vs. Keasbey Nights
« on: 04 Mar 2006, 22:58 »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000005ZFF/103-6238805-5039841?v=glance&n=5174

vs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006212W2/103-6238805-5039841?v=glance&n=5174

okay, Keasbey Nights was Catch 22's best album (this is not arguable, as it is fact), and the best ska album of all time (this is arguable, as it is only a broadly accepted opinion). so when Their lead singer leaves (Tom K), he starts the band Streetlight Manifesto. I guess he's holding some sort of grudge or something, because this tuesday, he's releasing a cover version of Keasbey nights (called "Keasbey Nights vol. 2"), done by him and Streetlight. it's leaked, so anyone who's got the chance to have heard it (i.e me), feel free to comment on it. personally, I'm partial to the original , but I do think the new one is really good, and will probably buy it.

discuss!

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #1 on: 05 Mar 2006, 02:25 »

i like the new one better.  i listened to the old one, and for some reason it just didn't click with me.  and it's not that he's "holding a grudge", the story's a bit more complicated than that.  from the conversation between the two computer voices playing over the end of "1234 1234" on the new version:

"1: Please describe the experience of making the new album.
-Making the record was not unlike chipping out each piece.

2: What took so long to make it?
-Did it take long? If so it's because be are very busy. You see, bands make almost nothing from record sales, so we were out touring and whoring in order to pay rent. Plus some other reasons which we are keeping quiet. We rely a lot [cuts out]...

3: What is the record exactly, as it's called Keasbey Nights, but no one knows yet what the record contains.
-It's Keasbey Nights. We wanted to get it right for once. Plus let's me sleep at night knowing that blood sweat and tears are poured into a record as opposed to paying 13 bucks for a record they only put a flashy new cover on it. This release is a pre-emptive strike, I guess. Whatever you want to call it, it'll piss people off. And that, at the end of the day, is all that really matters.

-This confuses me, aren't they paying 13 bucks for a record they already own? Because that is what I thought was happening, sounds like I have it wrong?
-Yep you've got it wrong. If there's one thing I can't stand it's when a CD is re-released untouched sonically, with a new cover, and maybe a live video and kids are tricked into buying this new edition of something they already have. I was upset when I was told the guys were going to do this with Keasbey so I offered to re-record it, because I've always thought it sounded like pure garbage sound-wise. Plus, the budgets we get are laughable, particularly for a band with 7 musicians to record, so we used some of our own money and took our time with this one. I'll tell you right now, we have no intent of hiding our intentions, we wanted to prevent the re-release of Keasbey untouched as well as to get the record to sound how it should have sounded originally. For that we sacrificed months of our time, and our money and now we feel what we have is worth paying for. Although, truth be told, I don't care if a single record is sold as it is, indeed, old music and kids have a right to know what it is and to decide whether or not they'll pay for it. Do I think it's worth 13 dollars? Yes, very much so, but that's my opinion. What other people decide, that's their own opinion. We're going to keep doing what we do whether or not a single record is sold.

We're going to keep doing what we do whether or not a single record is sold. We're going to keep doing what we do whether or not a single record is sold. We're going to keep doing what we do whether or not a single record is sold. We're going to keep doing what we do whether or not a single record is sold. We're going to keep doing what we do whether or not a single record is sold. We're going to keep doing what we do whether or not a single record is sold.

-Wow. Okay. First time I have heard it said that this is the same songs. Every time you were asked, you skirt that issue.
-Whatever you want to call it, we will piss people off. And that, at the end of the day, is all that really matters.

-As my good friend always says, you are indeed a cassette, and unfortunately just don't get it.
Peace out, bitches."

and it's been speculated that the band leaked the album themselves to let the listeners decide whether the CD is worth buying or not.

but most of all, i'm just happy that these songs are back in the hands of their rightful owner and not Ryan Eldred and his band of hacks.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Ghostwriter

« Reply #2 on: 06 Mar 2006, 08:17 »

Oh man, I'm a big SM and C22 fan, but I didn't know this had been leaked yet.  I've now heard the first three tracks, and...

I just don't know what to think.  Nothing I've heard strikes me as being particularly better than anything on the original album.  It's not necessarily bad either, but I don't want to hear the same album all over again, you know?  It seems like they were trying too hard to recreate it, and that's just boring.
Pages: [1]   Go Up