THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 03:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: darkBASIC?  (Read 4239 times)

Rubby

• The German Chancellory building
    • http://members.shaw.ca/baby.snakes
darkBASIC?
« on: 09 Mar 2006, 00:49 »

Does anyone know anything about this. I'm sorry to all you super duper coders who think something like this is a pile of shit, but you know, I was just wondering what it is like and stuff.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
darkBASIC?
« Reply #1 on: 09 Mar 2006, 04:55 »

I use it's nearest competitor, Blitz3D (www.blitzbasic.com)  Check out my game Flamewar! a couple threads away to see something I've done with it.  Long story short, the main difference between the two products is reflected in the development philosophies of their respective creators: the people who do DB are all about packing in the latest bleeding edge features as quickly as possible, while Blitz is built in a more paced way to focus on a well-designed language and stable features.  As a result, DB has snazzy effects like shaders, but is a horrible language and is terribly bug-ridden.  Conversely, Blitz is slightly behind the times in technology (eg. it's based on DirectX 7) but is a much better language and has pretty much zero bugs.  I think it's clear which way I prefer.

Incidentally, the new version of Blitz, BlitzMax, will have a 3D module soon, and that'll use OpenGL and run on Windows, Macs, and Linux.  It's kinda silly to base purchasing decisions on predicting the future, but Blitz Research has a great track record so it's something to keep in mind.

Rubby

darkBASIC?
« Reply #2 on: 09 Mar 2006, 10:49 »

I went to the Blitz3D site and incidentally flame war was the first thing listed there. What an awesome game. Anyways, thanks for letting me know about Blitz. I think I'm just gonna play around with both of them. darkBASIC appeals to me because it's based on BASIC which I know quite well. But I guess there is no harm in learning another language right?

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
darkBASIC?
« Reply #3 on: 09 Mar 2006, 11:22 »

Quote from: Rubby
I went to the Blitz3D site and incidentally flame war was the first thing listed there.

It's a coincidence that you asked this question right after I finished the game.

As for the language, note two things.  One, the site is BlitzBasic.  Two, neither is much like what you might think of as BASIC.  For example, neither is anything like Visual Basic (which is itself nothing like the original BASIC from the dawn of computing.)

Rubby

darkBASIC?
« Reply #4 on: 09 Mar 2006, 14:53 »

Yeah I actually know Visual Basic (and C++ for that matter), I had just assumed that VB was BASIC plopped into the Visual Studio environment.
So does DB and Blitz use the same syntax as VB or is it altogether different?
Pages: [1]   Go Up