THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 06 Jun 2024, 17:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who's going to see Superman Returns tonight?  (Read 5376 times)

logosmonkey

Who's going to see Superman Returns tonight?
« on: 27 Jun 2006, 16:10 »

So? I've already got mine and my mates tickets so I know I'll be there at the 10pm CST showing at the RAVE in Little Rock. Anyone else going to catch it tonight?

cacahuate

« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2006, 16:18 »

I'm seeing it on Friday at the IMAX.

Hopefully it maximizes my experience.

logosmonkey

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2006, 18:10 »

Mmm, yeah I'm a comic geek.. but the nearest IMAX that shows feature films is 5 hours away... and well I'm not that big of a comic geek.. at least not over superman.. but dammit if there was one within an hour distance or so I'd be all over it.

logosmonkey

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2006, 16:29 »

Man was I ever happy with this flick! It turned out to be an absolute blast of a film. Routh makes a great Superman, Bosworth is a good Lois and Spacey is one bad ass Lex Luthor! Even the Jimmy Olsen character was pretty well done.
The CGI is virtually seamless throughout most of the movie. I was really afraid that some of the CG would be so out there that it would look like crap but they really pulled it off.
The storyline is good. The dialogue is great. Also, to my surprise, the movie is hilarious. Their is really just joke after joke... I didn't expect that and honestly when they first started I thought "Oh crap they are going to ruin this with crap puns and poorly written jokes" in the end though they had just enough and their wasn't a single line that made me cringe.

I give it two thumbs up.

kadie

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2006, 16:19 »

I really liked it, especially Spacey.
The end was kind of predictable, but sometimes that can be good, and, well, it's Superman after all.
Over all, I'd say go see it.

cacahuate

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2006, 16:41 »

Quote from: cacahuate
I'm seeing it on Friday at the IMAX.

Hopefully it maximizes my experience.

I lied, I guess. My IMAX fails to deliver quality movies.

I will be watching it tonight at any rate.

Houdinimachine

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • http://www.myspace.com/houdinimachine/
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2006, 19:18 »

I fell asleep during it. :/
She gave me a pen. I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2006, 20:46 »

I found it kind of disappointing, I mean it wasn't a bad film but it wasn't a great one either

Atrocity Exhibition

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2006, 22:34 »

I thought that the film was passable as a form of killing a few hours, but overall a bit contrived. It allowed no characterization of Superman or of the other characters; there was no insight into Parker or Superman's emotions or reasoning behind any of it.
Spacey as Lex Luthor was indeed a good combination, and I think the strong point of the film, but fell victim to the pitfall of "great actor+sub-par role= ridiculous." He delivered some power, in particular with his dialogue, but we were left in the cold when it came to his motivations to destroy Superman on a personal level, rather than just wanting him gone for the crystals.
the film was passable as entertainment, but I wouldnt say that I would ever consider watching it again.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #9 on: 01 Jul 2006, 01:14 »

Hearing that Superman lacked characterization is being told that Antarctica lacks trees.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #10 on: 01 Jul 2006, 01:34 »

Hehe.

There are totally cactai down th'ar.

MatticusPrime

« Reply #11 on: 01 Jul 2006, 07:48 »

Quote from: Johnny C
Hearing that Superman lacked characterization is being told that Antarctica lacks trees.
Which is a shame because it doesn't have to be that way. But yeah, that's how the character has been treated for the most part so...

logosmonkey

« Reply #12 on: 01 Jul 2006, 15:53 »

I've heard so many mixed reviews of this =P. I really liked it.. so did the other people with me. We felt it harkened back to the original movie. I guess I went in with really low expectations so I wasn't disappointed.

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
« Reply #13 on: 03 Jul 2006, 20:26 »

Well, you have to realize that it is a sequel of sorts to the first two Superman movies (the one where Lois finds about Clark=Superman; axed). So, in that way, they might have not felt the need to go over the motivations, or any more in depth characterization.

That said, I liked the movie. It was very entertaining, if not the best film in existance. Although it suffered from LotRS (Lord of the Rings Syndrome) in which the movie ends FOURTEEN DIFFERENT TIMES>

Other than that, thumbs up. 3.5/5
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #14 on: 04 Jul 2006, 15:05 »

I enjoyed it! The bit with the plane crash was especially cool. The flying effects in that scene were awesome, and you really got a sense of Superman's speed and the weight of the plane. Really well done. Maybe the second half dragged a little, but I thought it was pretty fun and very faithful to the Superman legacy, which is all I ask from a Superman movie.

Kevin Spacey was great, and Brandon Routh played a very good Supes.

Kaktion

« Reply #15 on: 04 Jul 2006, 16:13 »

Saw it a few days back, and I really, really liked it. I went in there not expecting much, and came out thinking "holy crap, that was some great eye-candy!" The special effects, I mean.

logosmonkey

« Reply #16 on: 04 Jul 2006, 16:44 »

Quote from: Kaktion
"holy crap, that was some great eye-candy!" The special effects, I mean.

Uh-huh.. sure you do :P. But seriously the special effects were outstanding in it. The scene with the eye and the bullet.. I mean come on that just rocked. I agree though the way they caught the feel of his powers, the flying, the speed, the heat vision, the strength...it all just worked so well.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #17 on: 04 Jul 2006, 16:53 »

While I was watching the plane crash I was thinking "wow, there's no way they could make this scene look this cool in a comic book". That is a good indication that they did something right.

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #18 on: 07 Jul 2006, 05:45 »

I liked Superman Returns, but it was over-shadowed, in my opinion, by its 'Comic Hero' precessor, Batman Begins.
Pages: [1]   Go Up