THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 06 Jun 2024, 19:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tristram Shandy  (Read 3268 times)

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Tristram Shandy
« on: 29 Jun 2006, 07:02 »

Referring to both the book, The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman, by Laurence Sterne, and the film Tristram Shandy: a Cock & Bull Story, by Michael Winterbottom.

I have to admit, I probably would never have read the book if I hadn't known there was a film coming out - but having done so (earlier this year) I am absolutely in love with it.  It's like a whole other world of literature.  One of the best, most hilarious books I've ever read - and I don't even know what the fuck half of it was about.  It's a cliche to say such-and-such work of art is a ride - but there's no other way of describing it.  600 pages, and too short by half.

As for the film, I just came back from seeing it tonight (it just opened today in Australia).  Michael Winterbottom is one of my favourite directors working today, and he does a brilliant job of adapting the spirit of the book.  Everyone in the film is superb - most obviously Steve Coogan, but for me the standout was Rob Brydon, stealing every scene just as Coogan (the film character) is constantly fearing he will.

So, anyone else seen the film or read the book?  Discuss!

. . . Please?  My last two threads in this section have gone completely unanswered!

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Tristram Shandy
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2006, 00:23 »

I have skimmed through the book - I didn't know there was a movie coming out.

I mean... How the fuck do you film Tristram Shandy?

*goes and watches the trailer*

Man. This could be a lot of fun.

Inlander

• coprophage
Tristram Shandy
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2006, 01:04 »

Quote from: elcapitan
How the fuck do you film Tristram Shandy?

That's kind of the point!

Peet

• Curry sauce
  • The Second Gabber
Tristram Shandy
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2006, 15:44 »

This is the Steve Coogan/Rob Brydon film?

I saw that with a bunch of friends a few months back... none of them liked it but I was screaming throughout. "Womb with a view".

That enthusiastic (and hawt) PR woman is hilarious. Everything she said had me giggling like a schoolgirl.
Quote from: Slick
I think Astaldo should be the next Dr. Who

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
Tristram Shandy
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2006, 16:23 »

I read the book. I was forced to. It was not an experience I would like to repeat. A movie of the book would have saved me some time.

How do you enjoy this book? It's like watching fragmented paint dry. It's a mess. And really not that great.

Maybe I'm just no man for a satire like this. That must be it.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Tristram Shandy
« Reply #5 on: 01 Jul 2006, 09:46 »

From what I remember (and that's very little - I skimmed it years ago), this book could be described as Gravity's Rainbow on crack, and with less rocket science and Nazis.

I'm going to throw this in my bag when I go to New Zealand next week. I'm keen to go through it again!

Inlander

• coprophage
Tristram Shandy
« Reply #6 on: 02 Jul 2006, 18:30 »

I have to admit, I found the first 50 pages really tough going, and it was only due to my stubborn determination to finish a book once I've started it that I kept reading.  But after that suddenly everything clicked; granted, there were still slow moments later in the book but I started to really enjoy it.  Basically you've got to surrender yourself to the fact that you're not going to understand half of what Sterne's going on about, and that there is essentially no chance of getting a coherent narrative out of the book.  But that's the thing that you end up loving most: for instance, when Sterne cuts off a conversation between Walter Shandy and Uncle Toby in mid-sentence and then says something to the effect of "but before I go any further with this conversation, it's important that you understand something about Uncle Toby" - and then spends the next 30 pages talking about Uncle Toby, before returning to the conversation at the exact same point.

Also, not to sound patronising, but as you get older you start to appreciate different literature.  I first read Thomas Hardy, for instance, in High School (for class) - and hated him.  I returned to him last year, almost 10 years later, and absolutely adored what I was reading.  I think if I'd tried reading Tristram Shandy when I was in High School I probably would have been bored stiff, too.

. . . Also, a healthy appreciation of toilet humour helps a lot.

sunniegreen

Tristram Shandy
« Reply #7 on: 03 Aug 2006, 17:44 »

I loved the movie, although when it ended I looked around and asked if anyone else thought it was a joke. It was so sudden!  I felt like I had watched the preview to a film was cut off in the first few minutes. Probably what they intended actually.
My mom couldnt sit through it because she kept thinking about how much she'd hated the book.  I, however, am dying to find a copy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up