THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 06 Jun 2024, 15:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An Inconvenient Truth  (Read 7334 times)

Garcin

An Inconvenient Truth
« on: 05 Jul 2006, 15:03 »

If you can physically see An Inconvenient Truth, you owe it to yourself, and to any future generations you may some day spawn, to see it.  Like, right now.  GO!

More information here: http://www.climatecrisis.net/

This is easily the best movie I've seen this year, and the most informative movie I've seen in recent memory.  Al Gore outlines, step-by-step and cartoon by cartoon, the scientific basis for global warming, and ends by making suggestions about what you can do about it.  

The key point: if C02 continues to accumulate in the atmosphere at its current rate, within the next 50 years, hundreds of millions of people will be displaced, natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina will become more common and more damaging, and the earth we leave to the next generation will be a tattered remnant of the one we inherited.

Also, and I know that this is hard to believe given that it's a science movie involving Al Gore, parts of it are really funny!

EDIT: Roger Ebert actually said it a lot better than I did.  His review starts as follows:

Quote from: Roger Ebert
I want to write this review so every reader will begin it and finish it. I am a liberal, but I do not intend this as a review reflecting any kind of politics. It reflects the truth as I understand it, and it represents, I believe, agreement among the world's experts.

Global warming is real.

It is caused by human activity.

Mankind and its governments must begin immediate action to halt and reverse it.

If we do nothing, in about 10 years the planet may reach a "tipping point" and begin a slide toward destruction of our civilization and most of the other species on this planet.

After that point is reached, it would be too late for any action.

captainawesome

An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jul 2006, 20:25 »

It's rather convenient that in order to "get the message out" it also costs $9 to see.

If he really cared that much, he'd put it up for free on a torrent site.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #2 on: 05 Jul 2006, 20:52 »

He probably doesn't want to clog the tubes.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #3 on: 05 Jul 2006, 21:18 »

Quote from: captainawesome
It's rather convenient that in order to "get the message out" it also costs $9 to see.

If he really cared that much, he'd put it up for free on a torrent site.

...do you think making feature-length documentaries is free?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #4 on: 06 Jul 2006, 01:48 »

Man, your petty "realistic concerns" don't hold any grounds in the plane of pure ideas, man.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Spinless

An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #5 on: 06 Jul 2006, 05:43 »

Feature length documentaries that take away YEARS of your life Khar. Don't forget that.

If this was a free bittorrent things, who'd watch it? Nobody.

It's being shown in cinemas, where people go all the time. This way you can't avoid it. And not only do they need to make money back on this, but cinemas tend not to show things for free. Especially things of this nature.

Lesson learned: Al Gore is a superhero!

moley

• Plantmonster
    • http://www.moley3d.be
An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #6 on: 06 Jul 2006, 06:54 »

It'll be on bittorrent by yesterday.

If you're really that cheap that is.

Ravenbomb

An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #7 on: 06 Jul 2006, 11:33 »

But I think we all know what the REAL threat is......Manbearpig....

Ravenbomb

An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #8 on: 06 Jul 2006, 11:33 »

Hmph, doublepost

Kid Modernist

An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #9 on: 06 Jul 2006, 16:35 »

Quote from: Ravenbomb
But I think we all know what the REAL threat is......Manbearpig....

Half-man! Half bear-pig! Hilarious episode.

Also, I think you can delete the second double-post until someone posts after it. Like this one! SUCKAH!

As for an Inconvenient Truth, I think it is mostly a good movie except where he says it isn't about politics and then keeps talking politics.

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #10 on: 07 Jul 2006, 05:43 »

Another theory --  The change of climates is a cycle in the climate of the Earth.  As you know, there was an ice age, and the world warmed by itself.  Many scientists believe that a volcanic eruption on a massive scale could easily lead to the next ice age; but, yes, I'm very against pollution.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #11 on: 07 Jul 2006, 12:52 »

Without getting into what I think about global warming, I'll just say why I hate the movie:

Jus tlike with Fahrenheit 9-11, the only people who will watch the movie are the people who already agree with it. It's nothing but a political ploy for Mr. Gore to get his name out there again. And that's pretty goddamned lame.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Kid Modernist

An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #12 on: 07 Jul 2006, 18:00 »

Hear hear

Merkava

An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #13 on: 07 Jul 2006, 20:25 »

Giving obviously genuinely concerned people cynical motives out of the blue, FTW!

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #14 on: 07 Jul 2006, 20:39 »

SERIOUSLY

but Global Warning is a communist plot.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #15 on: 07 Jul 2006, 22:27 »

Man I seriously don't care whether it's just preaching to the converted, or all a cynical attempt by Al Gore to get back into politics, or what.  The reason this planet's going to shit is because everyone's too busy sniping at each other for unbelievably petty reasons to get off their arses and actually do something.  Right now I'm ready to support anything that says "LISTEN PEOPLE!  YOU'VE GOT TO REALLY SERIOUSLY START THE FUCK WORRYING ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING!"  Because we've gotta get that message through somehow, and it's sure as not gonna be done by keeping our mouth shut.

As for whether global warming is man-made or just part of the natural cycle: in science there's a thing called the precautionary principle.  Basically you assume the worst and act accordingly, because if you assume the best and you're wrong then you're royally screwed.

Mnementh

An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #16 on: 07 Jul 2006, 23:01 »

Quote from: Ozymandias
Without getting into what I think about global warming, I'll just say why I hate the movie:

Jus tlike with Fahrenheit 9-11, the only people who will watch the movie are the people who already agree with it. It's nothing but a political ploy for Mr. Gore to get his name out there again. And that's pretty goddamned lame.

Have you seen it or read the book?

The man is genuinely concerned and has repeatedly said he has no desire to get back into politics.  The book and the movie aren't about politics, if you had read or seem it you'd know this, it's very much intended to be a piece convincing folks that this is a moral, not a political issue, and to wake up and do something.

Johnny C

• Mentat
An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #17 on: 07 Jul 2006, 23:35 »

I don't know, man. He's been doing this whole "Climate-Change" hurly-burly for decades now so I'm pretty sure he's just been plotting this whole time.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #18 on: 08 Jul 2006, 07:02 »

I'm telling you! communist plot. Al Gore is in with the communists.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Merkava

An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #19 on: 08 Jul 2006, 08:21 »

Quote from: Inlander
Man I seriously don't care whether it's just preaching to the converted, or all a cynical attempt by Al Gore to get back into politics, or what.  The reason this planet's going to shit is because everyone's too busy sniping at each other for unbelievably petty reasons to get off their arses and actually do something.  Right now I'm ready to support anything that says "LISTEN PEOPLE!  YOU'VE GOT TO REALLY SERIOUSLY START THE FUCK WORRYING ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING!"  Because we've gotta get that message through somehow, and it's sure as not gonna be done by keeping our mouth shut.

As for whether global warming is man-made or just part of the natural cycle: in science there's a thing called the precautionary principle.  Basically you assume the worst and act accordingly, because if you assume the best and you're wrong then you're royally screwed.

The caps are what the movie is about. Oh, and he disproves the "it's just a cycle" crap that's being spewed. Oh, and you know how people used to say that there were discrepancies with early scientific reports?

Hah. Think the number 0 for the percent of Global Warming denial.

Wait a sec.

Global Warming. George W. GW. GW.

COMMUNISTS!!!11

Bunnyman

An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #20 on: 08 Jul 2006, 21:48 »

Meh.  I don't trust any movie with an agenda, even one I agree with.  I include 9/11 and Who Killed The Electric Car? in this statement.

Essentially, there's no way the issue can be fairly represented in 2 hours.  I'd rather have multiple hotlinked pages explaining every facet of an issue than a linear narrative structured according to one point of view.  This is not to say the internet is unbiased...far from it.  But it's easier to make an opinion given the full body of knowledge about the issue.

Also, I dislike my pleasure being interrupted by blatant politics.  Film = pleasure.  A little social commentary never hurt, but the filmmaker saying " Look!  You should be offended!" is too damned condescending to take seriously.  Michael Moore, take note.

Mnementh

An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #21 on: 08 Jul 2006, 23:43 »

I'm a little confused like by this, you're saying people should stop making movies that offend your sensiblities?

Because no one else is going to those movies, and likes them.

And because I have a huge list of movies that should never have been made if that rule applies to me as well.

Maybe you're just not the desired audience dude?

Kana

• Plantmonster
An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #22 on: 09 Jul 2006, 01:02 »

Before flaming persists I'd like to point out I don't side with any political side and think they're all trash and don't bother to vote.  But if by saying Al Gore's movie is a serious documentary then I will not hesitate to introduce that if that is your bread and butter factual feed for global warming...then my silly friends, please go read Micheal Crichton's "State of Fear" because thats just about as factual as Al Gore's work and has some nice juicy tidbits that Da Vinci Coder-type people will grab onto and hold onto dearly as the worlds-end truth.

Also, regarding the Da Vinci Code...awesome book, but silly that so many people think its 100% factual hardcore.  Although being an agnostic always on the verge of atheism it was a bit more fun to read evilly. :)

Kid Modernist

An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #23 on: 09 Jul 2006, 01:25 »

The Da Vinci Code is a horrible book.

Mnementh

An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #24 on: 09 Jul 2006, 10:49 »

Dan Brown is a horrible writer, and The Da Vinci Code is a terrible book.

Johnny C

• Mentat
An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #25 on: 09 Jul 2006, 11:24 »

Please make that into a t-shirt and sign your name on it, Mnemneth. I would buy it so fast.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #26 on: 09 Jul 2006, 11:40 »

Quote from: Mnementh
Dan Brown is a horrible writer, and The Da Vinci Code is a terrible book.

Seriously.

The church a couple blocks from me (This is Kansas, there's like, a church to every six people) has had a little banner up, "Dissecting the Da Vinci Code" for weeks. I don't know whether they're still "dissecting" it or if they were just too lazy to take it down, but it makes me giggle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up