THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 07 Sep 2024, 20:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mail Servers...or something?  (Read 3170 times)

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
Mail Servers...or something?
« on: 14 Aug 2006, 17:02 »

okay this is for you seriously knowledgable people out there. i am trying to send out a bulk e-mail to all of my clients from my work computer. We use a program called Proschool (v3.0) to store everything from clients, classes, instructors, payments, to attendence. it pretty much does it all.

anyway, all info on clients gets loaded into this program. family names, addresses, phone numbers, etc etc.
There is a spot to put an email address on the client page. some people give us their emails, some dont, some people dont have emails. whatever.

I am trying to send a bulk email to every client in the database that has an email address. I've got everything worked out (recipients, message, attatchments, and the "from address" which is just the business email account). But when i click send it says "Null Remote Access" and doesnt send the email.
So i went to Setup and Configure to see what was wrong and on the "General" info page it has a section titled "email setup" with four blank spaces entitled:
"from email:"   contains our business email
"from name:"   contains the name of the owner
"SMTP server:"   (blank)
"SMTP user id:"  (blank)

So i need help in figuring out where to find the missing information. From my desperate searchings on the interwebs i have concluded (with 37% certainty, mind you) that i already have what i need, i just need to fill in the blanks. However, that is my question: Do i already have what i need? OR do i need to download some kind email server program which seem to be available all over the internet. Or is there some third option i am completely ignorant of?

I dont claim to know alot about computers so if all this makes no sense, i apoligize.

edit: I just thought of an alternative question: Is there a way to import email addresses from Proschool into Outlook Exrpess? Or something else along those lines? I need some help here.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

logosmonkey

« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2006, 17:59 »

Ok one, your SMTP server should be something linke mail.yourworksdomain.com or perhaps smtp.yourworksdomain.com... user name is, well , the username you use to check your email..

I've never used proschool so I can't tell you much (and I can't find the manual on the net) but their site does say they have a bulk email manager which I assume is what you are using, so exporting to outlook seems kind of pointless.... though if you really want to you may be able to export your database records out to excel, the table containing the email addresses should be in a field by themselves and you could just cut/paste the whole shabang into outlook.

logosmonkey

« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2006, 18:02 »

Oh, also from their database they do mention they have new export options which will very likely let you export to excel... alot of programs will (SAP and others). It's accessed through the Database Explorer .. if you've any idea where that's located (cause I sure don't! :P)

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2006, 18:15 »

there was a smtp that i found in my email options (or wherever i found it) and it was something like outgoing.verizon.net or something like that.

and i tired using that with the several different user names but none of them seemed to make any difference. i even tried the other smtp (incoming.verizon.net) when i got desperate but to no avail.

i found Database Explorer but its rather complicated and non-userfriendly so i'm going to try to figure it out tomorrow when i'm less tired.

i'll let you know how it works out.
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

logosmonkey

« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2006, 18:21 »

Well if you are using your works email addy here is why your smtp is not working.

"Starting next week, verizon has said, its e-mail servers will not deliver any mail originated by verizon customers unless they have an e-mail address that ends in verizon.net, bellatlantic.net, or a ''domain name'' corresponding to a World Wide Web domain hosted by verizon. [...] [T]he policy has alarmed a number of customers, primarily those who use non-verizon companies to host their Web sites. Some say they feel they are being forced to choose to move their e-mail accounts from verizon over to their Web hosting company or, because it is probably easier, move their Web hosting business over to verizon to be able to keep sending e-mail from their existing domain name."

logosmonkey

« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2006, 18:22 »

See this thread for some more info on the above
http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum23/3930.htm

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2006, 11:14 »

it is a verizon.net e-mail address. that's why i didnt get why it wasnt working.

nihilist

« Reply #7 on: 15 Aug 2006, 11:40 »

Hrm.  I don't think Verizon will like you, not in the least.  Bulk e-mail?  That's a really bad idea.  If your company doesn't have its own mailserver, something fishy is going on.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #8 on: 15 Aug 2006, 16:26 »

Well, maybe if i explain it, it will sound less malicious.
We are a gymnastics center and every so often we produce a newsletter that needs to be sent to clients to notify them of schedule changes, fee adjustments, or upcoming events/fundraisers. We are not a huge company or anything, it is a small, local business. So, naturally, I am the one who has to address every single envelope and lick every stamp etc. . .a process i can't keep doing now that we have a larger number of clients.
Sorry i didnt explain that earlier.
Pages: [1]   Go Up