THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 08 Jun 2024, 08:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Bands you are going to see  (Read 14643 times)

Filk

Bands you are going to see
« on: 01 Aug 2006, 10:34 »

As much as i hate Chicago, living close to it has some perks.

Shows i'm planning to see:
08/05 Ditty Bops
08/07 Wolf Parade, Holy Fuck, Frog Eyes
08/20 Venom
09/03 Pig Destroyer
09/14 Mastodon
09/16 Buckethead
09/18 Tool, Isis
09/19 Napalm Death
09/22 Gigantour (Opeth, Megadeth, Arch Enemy)
09/23 Celtic Frost
09/30 Kamelot, Epica
10/03 KMFDM

I really can't wait til September, it's going to be the month of non-stop metal!

What are your plans for the next few months?

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #1 on: 01 Aug 2006, 11:04 »

I hate you so much right now.
When I got to Napalm Death I almost broke down to tears.

GODAMNIT.

Depeche Mode just cancelled their Israeli tour and I so hope that Aborted wont do the same.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Re: Bands you are going to see
« Reply #2 on: 01 Aug 2006, 11:15 »

Quote from: Filk
As much as i hate Chicago, living close to it has some perks.

Shows i'm planning to see:
08/05 Ditty Bops
08/07 Wolf Parade, Holy Fuck, Frog Eyes
08/20 Venom
09/03 Pig Destroyer
09/14 Mastodon
09/16 Buckethead
09/18 Tool, Isis
09/19 Napalm Death
09/22 Gigantour (Opeth, Megadeth, Arch Enemy)
09/23 Celtic Frost
09/30 Kamelot, Epica
10/03 KMFDM

I really can't wait til September, it's going to be the month of non-stop metal!

What are your plans for the next few months?

I'm probably going to Gigantour myself (except at the Oakland show, which is one of the first ones, I think it's 9/8), but I'll have to check the dates for the Mastodon, Buckethead, and Kamelot tours to see if there are any dates around here. So, thanks I guess!
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #3 on: 01 Aug 2006, 11:59 »

so wait.. you live near chicago, and you're NOT going to lollapalooza?

i'm crushed!

on the topic of plans in the near future, i guess that's the only real show i'll be going to for the next couple years. it is an investment, a wonderful investment!
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Filk

« Reply #4 on: 01 Aug 2006, 12:12 »

I'm probably not.
The only bands that i have at least slight interest in are Broken Social Scene and Sonic Youth, and i decided it's not worth paying $150 to see two bands.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: 01 Aug 2006, 12:13 »

Look on ye mighty and DESPAIR.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Filk

« Reply #6 on: 01 Aug 2006, 12:30 »

That and M'era Luna Festival
<drool>

Now why the hell did i move out of Germany? :(

I'll trade you all the Lollapaloozas you want for one of those.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #7 on: 01 Aug 2006, 12:35 »

I just checked Lollapaloozas line-up, and NO.

I totally wouldn't mind swapping out, say, Legion of the Damned for Deadboy and the Elephantmen though. Just so I could be at the front drunk off my face screaming 'PLAY SCREAM OF THE BUTTERFLY' for their whole set.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #8 on: 01 Aug 2006, 12:48 »

i only have plans so far to see one show next week (mae and the spill canvas). and i think that'll be it for the summer, unless someone interesting decides to come to cincinnati. we usually don't get anyone interesting during the summer...
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #9 on: 01 Aug 2006, 12:50 »

I was sure Wacken was on the 1.8 this year for some strange reason.

Anyway, I'd love to see Soilwork live, just for nostalgia's sake.
In fact, I want to see most of these bands live, damn it.

That's it!
I'm saving up so that next year I can go to Wacken and I'll still have my long hair! Yeah.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #10 on: 01 Aug 2006, 12:55 »

sometime in the next few weeks i plan on seeing Gwar with Three Inches of Blood and, later in the month, Journey with Def Leopard.

thats about it, i suppose
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Tokuma

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • http://www.last.fm/user/tokuma/
« Reply #11 on: 01 Aug 2006, 13:00 »

Right now there aren't many concerts I can afford to go to. I mostly have to stick to local stuff, not that thats bad. Infact its good.

Of Montreal  Saturday August 19
Built To Spill Saturday October 14

And I am thinking of going to this:
http://hhbtm.com/popfest/schedule.html

Mostly to see Deerhoof, but the other two nights have some great bands playing as well, including The Mountain Goats and The Apples In Stereo. Damn I love living in Athens...

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #12 on: 01 Aug 2006, 13:39 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
(poster for the best show ever OMG I hate you so much)

Look on ye mighty and DESPAIR.

I expect a full written summary of Motorhead, Celtic Frost, Gamma Ray, Morbid Angel, Ministry, Nevermore, Atheist, and Amon Amarth. WITH SET LISTS.

Opeth and Arch Enemy you can just tell me whether or not they played the good stuff.

Seriously though, I would probably kill to go to that show.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #13 on: 01 Aug 2006, 14:15 »

Casiotone for the Painfully Alone
I Heart Hiroshima
Bluebotte Kiss

all pretty small.. the big acts have just left

The Strokes and the Dresden Dolls and the Arctic Monkeys are coming, but i don't have tickets

and Lilly Allen is playing at the tiny rock club hipster hangout... might go just for the novelty of seeing a bestselling artist in Britian in our tiny little rock club

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #14 on: 01 Aug 2006, 14:22 »

MAYBE A Silver Mount Zion, but with the way my wallet is looking, I seriously doubt it.

Against Me, the Soviettes and the Epoxies is a definite though. I know Against Me have really dropped in quality. But fuck it.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

timehat

« Reply #15 on: 01 Aug 2006, 14:36 »

Man, some of that Wacken lineup looks pretty fucking awesome. I'd love to see Atheist. I'd be really afraid to be in Whitesnake at a festival where Emperor, Six Feet Under, and Morbid Angel are playing. If those bands don't kick Whitesnake's asses themselves, their fans probably will.

Jayfarer

« Reply #16 on: 01 Aug 2006, 14:45 »

8/1 (today) - Manu Chao
8/3 - Broken Social Scene & Bloc Party
10/9 - Sufjan Stevens

I need money to go to anymore concerts.

Maedros

« Reply #17 on: 01 Aug 2006, 16:05 »

The only concert I have lined up to see so far is Sufjan Stevens, but I'm going to start looking at some band websites and see who else is coming here.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #18 on: 01 Aug 2006, 16:19 »

Quote from: Storm Rider

I expect a full written summary of Motorhead, Celtic Frost, Gamma Ray, Morbid Angel, Ministry, Nevermore, Atheist, and Amon Amarth. WITH SET LISTS

I wouldn't know Gamma Ray and Morbid Angel songs from each other, and I'd probably have a bit of trouble with Atheist. Also, I plan drinking enough beer to have trouble even with, like Ministry and Finntroll, bands I own every recorded note of.

Spinless

« Reply #19 on: 01 Aug 2006, 16:33 »

If anybody is seeing Cursive this month in Manchester, I'll be the guy holding the 'GAE FOR TIM' sign. It has a cute portrait photo of him wearing a beanie.

GuitarJunkie

« Reply #20 on: 01 Aug 2006, 16:49 »

Quote from: timehat
If those bands don't kick Whitesnake's asses themselves, their fans probably will.

It's Whitesnake though man, they'd be used to it. They would just be like "Here I Go Again" ....

</awfulpun>

Lets see, I'm seeing the Stones and Motorhead. And most likely Metric, The Spinto Band and thats about it so far. I live in Birmingham. Bands don't like Birmingham.

Maedros

« Reply #21 on: 01 Aug 2006, 17:27 »

Quote from: GuitarJunkie
Quote from: timehat
If those bands don't kick Whitesnake's asses themselves, their fans probably will.

It's Whitesnake though man, they'd be used to it. They would just be like "Here I Go Again" ....

</awfulpun>

Lets see, I'm seeing the Stones and Motorhead. And most likely Metric, The Spinto Band and thats about it so far. I live in Birmingham. Bands don't like Birmingham.

That's what sucks about St. Louis, too. Bands love the hell outta Chicago, but they seem to shun STL like we have the plague.

logosmonkey

« Reply #22 on: 01 Aug 2006, 17:36 »

Hmm
Aug 4th Dash Rip Rock
Aug 30th Th' Legendary Shack Shakers

Hmm.. I know there are some others that I can't think of right now but ...
Oh and Buckethead is magnificent live!

messynessie

« Reply #23 on: 01 Aug 2006, 18:05 »

no good shows of bands that i actually like coming up :( except for muse but i will be in germany when they are in ireland such luck eh!
so it shall be the spraoi festival this coming weekend with a variety of local and international bands of all sorts which should be interesting!
and then in a few weeks i think theres a bluegrass festival on in a little fishing village near me so i'll be there...the atmosphere is great i only go for the parties pity bout the music :(

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #24 on: 01 Aug 2006, 18:39 »

Quote from: Maedros

That's what sucks about St. Louis, too. Bands love the hell outta Chicago, but they seem to shun STL like we have the plague.

Guys. I live in Kansas. You could live in fucking Greenland and get more concerts than we do.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Maedros

« Reply #25 on: 01 Aug 2006, 20:45 »

Quote from: Kai
Quote from: Maedros

Guys. I live in Kansas. You could live in fucking Greenland and get more concerts than we do.

Hey, you've got Blind Guardian coming in September (I think). Ass. :P

Rubby

• The German Chancellory building
    • http://members.shaw.ca/baby.snakes
« Reply #26 on: 01 Aug 2006, 21:15 »

Oh man, you guys suck.
I dont see bands, I'm poor.

The Hammered

« Reply #27 on: 01 Aug 2006, 23:22 »

8/6: Sonic Youth, Go! Team.
11/11 (probably): Decemberists, Alasdair Roberts.

RallyMonkey

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #28 on: 02 Aug 2006, 01:26 »

Red Hot Chili Peppers - 8/15

And... that's it. I might go check out the kids from thatRock School documentary on Saturday, since they are playing here, but only if I can find someone to come along with me, which is proving hard.

Living in Idaho, you don't find many good bands come through. Some notables so far this year have been Nine Inch Nails and Sigur Ros. Otherwise, yeah.

I was really, really, really hoping that the Decemberists would come back through here again this tour. My wishes were not granted, and I was close to shedding a tear.

I wish I lived in Portland, The Decemberists and Sufjan Stevens with-in 4 days of eachother. That would be heaven.

camfa

« Reply #29 on: 02 Aug 2006, 01:40 »

All on one day @ pukkelpop 2006 (Belgium)

- You Say Party! We Say Die!
- Gomez
- Infadels
- The Magic Numbers
- We Are Scientist
- Flatcat
- Mastodon
- Beck
- Snow Patrol

and!!!!

- Radiohead!!

i'm just too happy :)

Filk

« Reply #30 on: 02 Aug 2006, 05:55 »

Update:
While compiling the list yesterday i found out that 3 Inches of Blood were in town for the night, so off i went to see them straight from work.
The opening bands were average at best. Kind of, one riff repeated through the whole set, type of deal.
But 3IoB were abso-fucking-lutely great! You have no idea how heavy they can get live. Think Amon Amrath/Bloodbath heavy. The vocals were somewhat drowned in the guitar sound though.

Side note: Having a family is neither grim nor necro, and it's not metal at all. In fact it's actually christian. (my dad got all worried where the fuck i was until i came home at 2am)

corwinzor

« Reply #31 on: 02 Aug 2006, 21:08 »

The only shows coming up that I'm going to are Of Montreal... and Bonnie Prince Billy/Will Oldham is doing a free show at a record store near my house. Also my band might get to play with this hardcore group from Japan called Envy at the end of the month...exciting!!

Night Rocker

« Reply #32 on: 03 Aug 2006, 00:01 »

i heard that the who are going on tour i September around NYC and Philly
i hope to see them again before they die of OLD AGE. does anyone know of anyother rock(not heavy metal) bands playing around the places i mentioned?

Rather Confused

« Reply #33 on: 03 Aug 2006, 03:53 »

I go to as many local'ies as I can afford. Stuff like The Gin Club, Iron On and Little Lovers. Insofar as touring bands I've currently got tickets for.

Danzig
Okkerville River
Dresden dolls

Quote from: The Eyeball Kid
I Heart Hiroshima
I love the drummer from them, She's allways got this expression of "shit! where am I? Oh well better start drumming like crazy!"

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #34 on: 03 Aug 2006, 04:56 »

I actually missed that show at the powerhouse with I Heart Hiroshima, Iron On, and Ben Elys new band, because I passed out on the couch watching Arrested Development drinking coronas around lunchtime. :(

I was looking forward to that, because I've only seen I Heart Hiroshima a few times and I loved the energy they had, which is saying something, because typically I wouldn't even look twice at a band without a bassist. How were Elys band? They had a pretty terrible name as far as I recall, but I loved the Gurge.

Also, on topic, this weekend I am going to see the Kidney Thieves at the Rev on Friday, and Never on Saturday at the Alley Bar, if that means anything to anybody, both extremely fantastic local acts. I was hoping the Grates might play a show while they were in town with the Artic Monkeys, but to no avail, and unless someone buys me a ticket, It's not really worth it. Apart from that, I am mostly holding out for a Tool tour, it seems like every metal band I can't fucking stand is touring Australia this year, and the ones I really love are screwing us right off.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

OllieA

« Reply #35 on: 03 Aug 2006, 05:01 »

The Boy Least Likely To in October. Whooo.

Rather Confused

« Reply #36 on: 03 Aug 2006, 05:38 »

Quote from: Hat
How were Elys band? They had a pretty terrible name as far as I recall, but I loved the Gurge.

Jump 2 Light Speed be tharr name. Quite rockin' they be.

Quote from: Hat

Also, on topic, this weekend I am going to see the Kidney Thieves at the Rev on Friday, and Never on Saturday at the Alley Bar, if that means anything to anybody, both extremely fantastic local acts. I was hoping the Grates might play a show while they were in town with the Artic Monkeys, but to no avail, and unless someone buys me a ticket, It's not really worth it. Apart from that, I am mostly holding out for a Tool tour, it seems like every metal band I can't fucking stand is touring Australia this year, and the ones I really love are screwing us right off.

I'm off to Ex Com on friday (80's goth stuff Wooo). but maybe I'll run into you. Same here on the wanting Tool thing, but don't count on it. They're fully booked til' mid-december (Damn you europe!). Did you go to Dragonforce?

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #37 on: 03 Aug 2006, 06:08 »

Nah, I actually don't like Dragonforce much at all, they get on my nerves if I listen to more than one song a day by them. Although I was told their keyboard player did a solo with his nose, which sounds pretty impressive, and some female friends of mine got invited to "party" with them at their hotel afterwards, but turned them down because they're party poopers. Dragonforce, Opeth and Queensryche are pretty much the bands I refer to above, so I guess its unfair to say I can't stand them, but they're the three bands all my friends are obssessed with and won't stop playing 24/7, so I get a bit terse on the subject of them

Also I just found out that G3 is coming in December. I honestly do not give a fuck about Satriani, Petrucci, or Vai, but I am probably going for the sole purpose of seeing Billy Sheehan rip up live.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Polish Tiger

« Reply #38 on: 03 Aug 2006, 06:15 »

There doesn't seem to be much ahead later this year in Stockholm, but Mogwai in September is a must-see at least.

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #39 on: 03 Aug 2006, 07:04 »

Quote from: Rather Confused
I go to as many local'ies as I can afford. Stuff like The Gin Club, Iron On and Little Lovers. Insofar as touring bands I've currently got tickets for.

Danzig
Okkerville River
Dresden dolls

Quote from: The Eyeball Kid
I Heart Hiroshima
I love the drummer from them, She's allways got this expression of "shit! where am I? Oh well better start drumming like crazy!"

Her name is Susie. She hangs out on the The Grates forums and she's very nice. You should say hi to her sometime.
The band is also in the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs video, pretending to be the YYYs

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #40 on: 04 Aug 2006, 10:33 »

The only show I have coming up is an awsome local one, Grasshopper at the Grog&Tankard, 8/5/06
I mean seriously folks, Hot Drummer Chick!
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #41 on: 04 Aug 2006, 10:55 »

You do mean Tankard, the Thrash Metal band, right?

Also, get this:
"Well, seems shit comes brown & comes very brown across our way this year... After having the show confirmed by every band member, our drummer Gilles suddenly grew more of a vagina than Olivia & even after paying the flights which were non refundeable he couldn't care less & cancelled the show. We were shocked in the first place & quite pissed off to say. Since we do not believe in letting people down, even in such a hostile climate, both our friends from whorecore & ourselves were finding a solution to make this show still possible. We have come up with Peter from Emeth on bass and Matan Shmueli on drums who are both practicing their testicles off to fill in on the show. We will be working our fumous arses hard to give the best show possible under the circumstances & hope everyone can understand the situation, we as a band were put against the wall by unreliability & unprofessionalism from some people which is anything but acceptable. Either way we're looking forward to abort all of yous next week, get ready for some death fucking metal!
Aborted"

I love these guys.

And the Twilight Singers are coming here on 30.8 along with Greg Dulli and Mark Lanegan. Best concert to close up the summer.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

ayePod

« Reply #42 on: 04 Aug 2006, 11:48 »

I'm going to see Death Is Not Glamorous and Chaos Days next Sunday and I am super hyped about it. It's not often that two awesome punk rock bands with good ethics come to this town.

I'm also planning on going to the Indian Summer Festival which will involve me hating everyone who thinks they're Karen O and loving everyone who's there to have an awesome time.

Hairy Joe Bob

• FIGHT YOU
  • shame machine
    • Pete Strong - Writer & Artist
« Reply #43 on: 04 Aug 2006, 12:08 »

12/8: British Sea Power @ Newhaven Fort.

22/9: The marvellous Pipettes!
What thou lovest well remains,
the rest is dross.

Joey JoJo

• Plantmonster
    • http://www.myspace.com/punchthedj
« Reply #44 on: 04 Aug 2006, 13:15 »

Damnation Festival '06. Mainly to see Biomechanical, Kingsize Blues, Stampin Ground, Ephal Duath and Axis of Perdition.

EDIT: KharBevNor, I hate you for going to Wacken, so you know. :(
When I asked my doctor why it hurt when I urinate, he pointed out that my penis was on fire.  I guess that's why he's the doctor.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #45 on: 04 Aug 2006, 13:20 »

Wow, Ephal Duath must be absolutly amazing live.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Joey JoJo

• Plantmonster
    • http://www.myspace.com/punchthedj
« Reply #46 on: 04 Aug 2006, 13:21 »

I'll let you know after Damnation, it's not until October unfortunately.
When I asked my doctor why it hurt when I urinate, he pointed out that my penis was on fire.  I guess that's why he's the doctor.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #47 on: 04 Aug 2006, 13:24 »

Heh, I'm going to see My Dying Bride in greece in October with a few good friends.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #48 on: 04 Aug 2006, 14:57 »

Vaux, The Casualties, Hellogoodbye, Billy Talent, Near Miss, Helmet, Bouncing Souls, and Saves The Day two days ago at Warped Tour.

I don't really have any concert plans coming up besides Warped next summer.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #49 on: 04 Aug 2006, 21:14 »

I'm going to see The Herd play in under a month, Michael Franti & Spearhead a little after that. My music scene stuff is curtailed by too much uni atm...

I missed seeing Linus Loves last night. Damn you, trivia nights followed by random drinking!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up