THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 19:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Muse - GO SEE!!!!  (Read 16829 times)

midi

Muse - GO SEE!!!!
« on: 08 Nov 2006, 21:17 »

Hey guys. First post, new to QC, love it, yadda, yadda, yadda....

I seen Muse last night and seeing as QC is my "new fav website" I wanted to tell everyone about it.

GO SEE MUSE!!!

These guys are amazing. Matt Bellamy may be the greatest front man ever. If you heavn't heard them, go check them out.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: Muse - GO SEE!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 08 Nov 2006, 21:29 »

Okay, firstly, way to street team.

Secondly, although Muse are brilliant live, they are one of the most disconnected live bands I've ever seen. It was like machines were playing it.

Thirdly, they gave me tinnitus when I saw them. Therefore, I am forever spiteful.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

midi

« Reply #2 on: 08 Nov 2006, 21:33 »

Ok, I'm from Scotland so not sure what 'street team' is.

For the record, I was only introduced to QC about 3 months ago and proceded to spend the next 4 days solid (at work  :wink:) reading every single strip.

And Muse are amazing, sorry. I don't get your robot thing. Matt Bellamy's voice is just astounding. The fact that the music is also ace is an added bonus.

midi

« Reply #3 on: 08 Nov 2006, 21:54 »

Ok, does what I've written come across as a blatant Muse advert? Is that what 'street team' means?

Listen, you don't like modern prog rock type stuff, don't see Muse. You won't like them.

If you want to see what the offspring of Queen and NiN would look like, go see Muse. You will not be disappointed.

I also seen Radiohead a couple of months back. They played Creep. Was good.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #4 on: 08 Nov 2006, 23:52 »

Thirdly, they gave me tinnitus when I saw them. Therefore, I am forever spiteful.

Vaux on Warped Tour this summer gave me a ringing in my right ear that took a good two days to go away. Crazy.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #5 on: 09 Nov 2006, 02:05 »

I'm with Tommy.  Everyone was into them senior year of high school, and I just didn't get it.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: 09 Nov 2006, 02:21 »

Vaux on Warped Tour this summer gave me a ringing in my right ear that took a good two days to go away. Crazy.

Try seeing Motorhead in a medium sized venue with really bad acoustics.

"SHALL I TURN THE SOUND UP BOYS AND GIRLS?"
*audience screams no as Lemmy gleefully turns the nobs on every amplifier up to ten*
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Yossarian

« Reply #7 on: 09 Nov 2006, 03:46 »

There was a time (until about two years ago), when I was pretty amazed at MUSE and their music. "Showbiz" was a fine debut and "Origin of Symmetry" is just great, with "Absolution" as a strong, though not quite as powerful follow-up. Although my fascination cooled down a bit since then, yet when I'm in the mood for some tuned-up emotions, singing and musical scores at high volume - these guys still are among my favourites (esp. in the car!). Personally, I haven't seen them live, but would have loved to then, since friends of mine told me that they were great when on stage.

But unfortunately with their new album "Black Holes & Revelations" they completely lost me. No edges left, no hitting the guts of the listener - just boring stuff :-( .
« Last Edit: 09 Nov 2006, 04:03 by Yossarian »

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #8 on: 09 Nov 2006, 03:55 »

i got given so many bad accoutns of muse i refused to buy their first album and since i don't listen to comercial radio i still havn't heard them
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #9 on: 09 Nov 2006, 04:00 »

Midi, I think it's pretty safe to say almost everyone on the forums knows what Muse sound like or have an opinion on them. I liked a few of their older songs but their new stuff is the same with the volume turned down.

Yossarian

« Reply #10 on: 09 Nov 2006, 04:09 »

@Gridgm: It's a sad fact that where I live, commercial radio wouldn't even touch them (but who knows - maybe that's changing with the latest album... well, not all changes are for the better)

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #11 on: 09 Nov 2006, 06:34 »

they play them on the radio here...

i saw muse a year and a half ago and i was amazed. they are a good live band, or at least i thought so. they didn't really talk, though, which i don't really like it when bands do that. but it was still a good show. and öde is right...we had a topic on muse a while ago and i don't think many people on here like them, or if they do, most only like their older stuff.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

midi

« Reply #12 on: 09 Nov 2006, 14:54 »

Yeah, I have to say I think they sound amazing live but Matt doesn't talk a lot.

And I think Absolution was definitely a dip in form but Black Holes and Revelations is a bit of a step back in the right direction. Knights of Cydonia is awesome live. They started with it and the place went nuts.

Ach, maybe it's just cos I'm up here in the Highlands of Scotland and we don't get bands like that all that often.

And no-one has told me what 'street team'ing is yet. I feel uneducated.

<sigh>

'How can we win,
When fools can be kings....?'

midi

« Reply #13 on: 09 Nov 2006, 15:02 »

How big are they in the US anyway.......?

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #14 on: 09 Nov 2006, 18:36 »

people either don't know who they are or they like them. i'm in cincinnati, which is a decent sized city, and most of the people i know who know of them like them. (but that isn't a whole lot of people.)
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #15 on: 10 Nov 2006, 00:28 »

They're completely obscure in Canada, I'll have you know.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #16 on: 10 Nov 2006, 00:38 »

A street team is a bunch of fans who voluntarily sign up to plug their favourite band all over the place for free, and will be coerced into handing out fliers and shit and occasionally getting tickets into shows.

As for 'if you don't like modern prog rock blah blah blah,' The Mars Volta are one of my favourite bands.

I don't see what you aren't getting about 'they're like machines onstage.' It is what it is. They just do versions exactly like on record. Now, I'm all for live competence, but why bother going to see them live when it's exactly the same? They stir up the odd song, but most of them are just duplications or less good versions. They're not bad per se, just robotic, as I said, and very distant. Matt Bellamy is a great showman and I think he's very likeable, especially in interviews, but when I saw him live I don't think he said two words.

rae

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #17 on: 11 Nov 2006, 02:50 »

I'm going to see these in Cardiff on Sunday. I'm looking forward to it considering I missed seeing them in 2003 due to giving myself concussion two days before. It was not pretty.
Mook.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #18 on: 11 Nov 2006, 05:55 »

They're completely obscure in Canada, I'll have you know.

another reason to move to canada.

damn straight ay
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #19 on: 11 Nov 2006, 05:59 »

I hope midi does not stop posting because of the shite reaction his first excited post got.

Come on, guys. He enjoyed the show. Fuck, I enjoyed Nickelback's show when I was sixteen*, and I knew better.

[size=05pt]*admitting this took more courage then i'd ever mustered prior to today[/size]

messynessie

« Reply #20 on: 11 Nov 2006, 07:00 »

i like muse, saw them live 2 years ago and was meant to go see them last week but i is broke :(
absolution is my favourite album, i'm not too fond of the new one but i suppose i haven't exactly listened to it a lot. it's just not grabbing my attention and making me want to turn the volume up like the other albums did!

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #21 on: 11 Nov 2006, 08:16 »

Johnny C, I feel I should respect you for your courage, but a thought keeps on hammering at my mind over and over again and it is that you paid to see Nickelback

It makes my various musical indiscretions at sixteen look positively hip by comparison.

Dawg it is cool, when I was 12 I owned about four Boyz II Men albums, I should not be able to mock anyone
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2006, 08:21 by Hat »
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

El Opium

« Reply #22 on: 11 Nov 2006, 09:56 »

Mention of Muse just makes me think like it's 1999, and considering it's 2006 that's rather a long time ago. In conclusion: They should all quit that band.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #23 on: 11 Nov 2006, 10:22 »

you paid to see Nickelback

No, I got the tix for free. A friend won 'em but her boyfriend had bought floor seats.

boyz ii men are still princes in my heart

midi

« Reply #24 on: 21 Nov 2006, 17:41 »

i gather they do okay.

where abouts in scotland are you? i'm just above aberdeen.

Yeah, I'm in Aberdeen. As Borat might say, 'It's nice!'.

midi

« Reply #25 on: 21 Nov 2006, 17:52 »

See the argument that hearing them live is the same as putting on there CD isn't strong for me.

There is an undefinable quality, IMO, that live music has which a CD never will (apart from the obvious fact that they are 'there'). Even seeing a band who sound identical to their CD is still better than just listening to them at home.

I'm not explaining myself very eloquently so I apologise. Hopefully you get what I mean.

PS - Thanks for letting me know what street teaming is. I can promise you I'm not one of them. I was just excited having seen Muse the night before. And I'd always wanted to jump onto the QC forums.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #26 on: 21 Nov 2006, 21:06 »

They right a catchy pop tune, that's for sure.  Nothing new and inventive, nothing really long-lasting, but by all accounts better than most of the other tripe out on the airwaves.  At least, that's my opinion.  I've never been a huge fan, I just like trying to sing along to the songs.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Jooooosh

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #27 on: 22 Nov 2006, 06:16 »

my god i dont think ive heard a more annoyingly drony POS album than the newest Muse one. Talk about a dissapointment
fast-food for thought

notselfcreated

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #28 on: 08 Dec 2006, 11:01 »

I like a few tracks from the new album. Actually Knights of Cydonia is my least favorite. I prefer Starlight, Supermassive Black Hole, and Map of the Problematique. But I also love Hysteria, Butterflies and Hurricanes, and Time is Running Out from the Absolution album.

They're just really talented.

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #29 on: 08 Dec 2006, 15:38 »

people either don't know who they are or they like them. i'm in cincinnati, which is a decent sized city, and most of the people i know who know of them like them. (but that isn't a whole lot of people.)

or they've heard one radio track and don't really care too much for it and are turned off by all the hype

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #30 on: 08 Dec 2006, 17:51 »

Try seeing Motorhead in a medium sized venue with really bad acoustics.

"SHALL I TURN THE SOUND UP BOYS AND GIRLS?"
*audience screams no as Lemmy gleefully turns the nobs on every amplifier up to ten*

I think I would sacrifice my hearing to see Motorhead.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

camelpimp

« Reply #31 on: 08 Dec 2006, 18:28 »

I have little opinion on Muse. I heard "Knights of Cydonia" and thought it was cute, but not really intriguing or anything. I believe the Your Bands Sucks column on SomethingAwful described the song as "a soundtrack for a Highlander sequel set inside Freddie Mercury's butt" which is kind of accurate.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #32 on: 09 Dec 2006, 02:19 »

I would say that it is an awesome description, and don't understand why it would be considered an abrasive opinion..

chamberk

« Reply #33 on: 09 Dec 2006, 03:33 »

I have little opinion on Muse. I heard "Knights of Cydonia" and thought it was cute, but not really intriguing or anything. I believe the Your Bands Sucks column on SomethingAwful described the song as "a soundtrack for a Highlander sequel set inside Freddie Mercury's butt" which is kind of accurate.

I think that's why I like them.

camelpimp

« Reply #34 on: 09 Dec 2006, 03:52 »

I would say that it is an awesome description, and don't understand why it would be considered an abrasive opinion..

I guess some people don't like music set in other people's butt. Even Mercury's! (Well, probably 'cuz he's dead)

Half arsed ninja

« Reply #35 on: 09 Dec 2006, 03:57 »

Knights of Cydonia is an okay track the 1st few times I heard it I thought it was really good but it been played over to death especially in the uk. I now find you can't turn on the tv without an ad for something using it.

Most of my friend snub Muse calling it the poor mans radiohead, and I don't find Muse the best band out I will admit when I hear a muse song I sing along with a smile on my face.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #36 on: 09 Dec 2006, 04:58 »

The Radiohead comparison is such bollocks.

jolijn

« Reply #37 on: 09 Dec 2006, 05:16 »

they are like a poor man's radiohead and queen?

i still like some of their songs

Half arsed ninja

« Reply #38 on: 09 Dec 2006, 05:20 »

Raidohead are overrated. Ok computer is class though.

chamberk

« Reply #39 on: 09 Dec 2006, 05:52 »

The thing about Radiohead is that they are experimental, as proven by their last few albums.  Muse just wants to rock, though, and I respect and enjoy that.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #40 on: 09 Dec 2006, 08:07 »

I think the whole "Muse=Radiohead" thing is just because their frontmen both have weird fucking voices.

FireStarter

« Reply #41 on: 09 Dec 2006, 08:08 »

I know I've said this before, although I did download just about all of the Muse backcatalouge (just because I have about 200 gigs of free hdd space and about 400gigs more inbound) The ONE song I can't stop listening to from Muse is Apocalypse Please......and It's sorta like We Will Rock You and We are the Champions to me, I put Radiohead - Karma Police right after.... I don't know why, but those two tracks justs sets me off..Yeah Muse maybe trite bullshit >shrugs< I like the Orchestration of Apocalypse Please....especially the way the semi gentle vocals layered overtop of someone abusing a piano. I just don't know why I like that song so much but I do....and Karma Police is one of my ALL TIME favorite Radiohead tracks....well after Fake Plastic Trees....I would say that Creep is a decent Radiohead song, but not one that I would say defines them as a band....Now again I am going to garner the scorn of the QC music forums as a whole when I say this....I like Dave Matthews Band. Yeah that's right I like them...infact right now I'm listening to Tripping Billies....go ahead pile the scorn on...infact I should start a new thread "I like DMB and I don't give a FUCKING SHIT what the hell you say about them." There's just something cool about a guy who makes Mr. T look small digging in and fiddling like a bluegrass solo....yeah fuck you all DMB Kicks ass...

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #42 on: 09 Dec 2006, 08:20 »

Whoa there, chief. Easy on the crazy.

camelpimp

« Reply #43 on: 09 Dec 2006, 08:35 »

So... Muse is an amateurish Radiohead.

Inside Freddie Mercury's butt.

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
« Reply #44 on: 09 Dec 2006, 12:39 »

I hope midi does not stop posting because of the shite reaction his first excited post got.

Come on, guys. He enjoyed the show. Fuck, I enjoyed Nickelback's show when I was sixteen*, and I knew better.

[size=05pt]*admitting this took more courage then i'd ever mustered prior to today[/size]

I was 14...

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #45 on: 10 Dec 2006, 00:42 »

I really liked how FireStarters post ended up being about Dave Matthews Band.  It's really quite interesting psychologically how he can start on one topic, then ramble on until you aren't quite sure what he's talking about anymore.

Iron_Fist

• Larger than most fish
  • Derp-derpa doo.
« Reply #46 on: 15 Dec 2006, 23:13 »

I listened to a few of muses songs and thought to myself "you know what this is bordeline angsty teen music... and it sucks" and deleted every one of their songs.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #47 on: 18 Dec 2006, 03:08 »

Knights of Cydonia is an okay track the 1st few times I heard it I thought it was really good but it been played over to death especially in the uk. I now find you can't turn on the tv without an ad for something using it.

I've got to admit, the video for that song is pretty damn fine. Also, the song itself ain't bad, in that it's pretty much a rock take on Ennio Morricone, which is commendable.

If only that whiny fucker didn't have to sing so loud!
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

ZeNbRaIn

« Reply #48 on: 21 Dec 2006, 02:03 »

Hey all, first post so be nice. I'm from the UK so i guess we've had alot more exposure to Muse than the americans on this board and i've been to see them once in concert a few years back and once at a festival. Used to be a big fan, i had the first two albums for a while then misplaced them and never got back into them which i suppose is a vote against matt 'n' co. They can be a bit angsty, and Matt Bellamy definitely has one of those love it or hate it voices, at times i think he shows genuine lyrical and vocal talent but at the same time they can be quite a bloated proposition. Their live shows are impressive and the intense loyalty of their core fanbase means theres usually a good atmosphere, not many bands can drive a crowd that wild with a piano and bass like they do when 'sunburn' gets played. Generally i like them but fail to get enthusiastic about any new releases or tours these days, although i certainly understand their appeal. For me they exist as an entry point to alternative rock that i think is a good thing, perhaps not a band you'll be listening to in 20 years but they definitely entertain their audience, provide an alternative to the generic pop/commercial house/commercial rap that i put up with all day on the office radio, and display technical and artistic abilities far in excess of the rest of mainstream british rock. Rating these guys out of 10, which i realise is pretty lame, but i'd give em somewhere around a 7, dipping to 6 on days when i'm not in the mood for falsetto vocals, rising to an 8 when i'm in the mood for some pompous stadium RAWK. There's nothing to dislike or resent about Muse, and anyone who does feel that much bile towards this band should calm down and redirect their attention to the infinitely less entertaining plethora of mediocre indie that haunts the airwaves.

jonflying

« Reply #49 on: 08 Jan 2007, 14:34 »

Okay, firstly, way to street team.

Secondly, although Muse are brilliant live, they are one of the most disconnected live bands I've ever seen. It was like machines were playing it.

They also gave me tinnitus in at the Cardiff gig. They have really **cked up my ears. Please contact me if you have tinnitus due to the Muse concerts.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up