THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 04 May 2024, 03:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Most disappointing album  (Read 21196 times)

Jillybean

Most disappointing album
« on: 16 Nov 2006, 19:17 »

You know how when you hear one or two songs off an album and you think it's going to be the best album ever so you rush out to buy it and when you listen to it you realise that the rest of the album is shit.

I hate that.

I think the last time I did that, it was Orson's album.  'No Tomorrow' and 'Bright Idea' really sold them for me, and I heard a lot of hype about their album.  When I actually listened to it I was crushed at how forgettable the rest of it is.  I maintain that those are two very good songs, but the album is awful.

cTony

Re: Most disappointing album
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2006, 19:41 »

And thats how i justify getting near-whole albumns off p2p networks before buying them !
Hence, i've never done that myself.... YET.

But i'll end up doing in someday im sure... And i'll report.

Jillybean

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2006, 19:43 »

I have occasional flashes of conscience . . . which proves the p2p is the way to go!!!

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2006, 20:31 »

The new Dresden Dolls was kind of disappointing for me.  I've talked about it on the "What Are You Listening To?" thread before; other than a couple gems, the songs just feel kind of sluggish.  Amanda Palmer had SO much vitriol coming out of her music in the self-titled album, but in Yes, Virginia it just seems kind of tame.  I still like the album overall, but it was nowhere near what I had expected it to be.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2006, 23:12 »

St. Anger, obviously. Good god. I can't believe I paid monies for that.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2006, 23:27 »

Oh, sush. St Anger is a good album.

I have done this. Notably Shivaree's " I Oughtta Give You A Shot In The Head For Making Me Live In This Dump". Everything is so right about them ... the look, the name of the singer, Ambrosia Parsley, THAT single, Goodnight moon ... but the rest of that album ... is ... not as good.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2006, 23:35 »

Changed.

Thanks.
My Art.

bff

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2006, 23:53 »

St. Anger, obviously. Good god. I can't believe I paid monies for that.

slow learner  :evil:

I always let myself get overly let-down when a bands sophmore effort isn't up to snuff.  Intellectually I understand all the factors working against them, yet I let myself be drawn in everytime.  Most recent example I can think of:  "The New Romance" by Pretty Girls Make Graves.

camelpimp

« Reply #8 on: 17 Nov 2006, 07:57 »

The Cure's "Disinigration", Joy Division's "Substance", Corkscrew's albums in general, Jasemine Star or whatever that was called.

As I can recall from flipping through my CD-collection.

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
« Reply #9 on: 17 Nov 2006, 12:39 »

The Cure's "Disinigration", Joy Division's "Substance",

two albums I throughly enjoy.

Narr

« Reply #10 on: 17 Nov 2006, 12:56 »

I heard "Fire It Up" by Black Label Society on Guitar Hero and thought "That song is kind of neat."

Bought the album with it.  Whoops.  That was a mistake.

Brian Majestic

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #11 on: 17 Nov 2006, 13:18 »

Seconded.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #12 on: 17 Nov 2006, 17:56 »

I'm split down the middle. I too love Disintegration, but I'm thoroughly unable to understand the appeal of Joy Division.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #13 on: 17 Nov 2006, 20:38 »

Joy Division's "Substance".

I could go into a spiel about the fact that if this was your first Joy Division purchase that was unwise, as it's a collection of b-sides, twelve inches, EPs, etc. not an album and so isn't a good introduction to the band.

But, instead...fuck you, you're wrong. Fuck you.

As far as biggest disappointment, I'm going to say the most recent Mars Volta album. Frances The Mute was a masterpiece. I didn't expect it to be as good as that, or anywhere near. But I expected it to be worth listening to, for fuck's sake.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Will

« Reply #14 on: 17 Nov 2006, 21:08 »

I'll agree with you that it's not as good as Frances The Mute was, but I wasn't so disappointed in it that it was unlistenable.  Probably not going to be making my year-end top 10 list though...
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #15 on: 18 Nov 2006, 01:20 »

I'll agree with you that it's not as good as Frances The Mute was, but I wasn't so disappointed in it that it was unlistenable.? Probably not going to be making my year-end top 10 list though...

I didn't say it was unlistenable, I said it wasn't worth listening to.

Also, I'm going to add Left by Hope of the States to this list. Their first album is one of my favourite albums ever. The second one is wank.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #16 on: 18 Nov 2006, 05:09 »

'Tim' by the Replacements.

I cannot think of a single way in which a band's magnum opus could be mightier than this one. It is a superb record, and as such I'm just going to say Dig Me Out by Sleater-Kinney to see what you're going to do about it.

Huh?

HUH
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #17 on: 18 Nov 2006, 05:21 »

Saves The Day - Stay What You Are

I heard 'Say You'll Never Leave', thought it was awesome and got given this album instead, which is utter gash. But I didn't part with money for it.

Also, Tapes n' Tapes. Insistor is one of my favourite songs of this year, and yet the rest of the album is so very very dead. Even Cowbell isn't that great...but again, I didn't pay for it, so can't feel too ripped off.

And Bright Eyes - A collection of songs...

The guy in my local record shop actually refused to order it in on the basis of its inherent terribleness, but being the occasional completist I am, insisted on buying it at a later date.  And then sold it a fortnight later.

But then, for every bit of crap I've got, I've found something brilliant enough to negate it.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #18 on: 18 Nov 2006, 05:59 »

When I think of the two albums that I was more disappointed than any others, they would have to be:

The Third Album - Big Star
Pressure Chief - Cake
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Jillybean

« Reply #19 on: 18 Nov 2006, 18:49 »

But then, for every bit of crap I've got, I've found something brilliant enough to negate it.

The advantage of having a large collection :)  Actually, another one that I was really disappointed in (I don't expect anyone to know this one) was MacUmba.  I'd borrowed it from someone who loves them, they're a celtic/reggae band, and she'd let me listen to one track which was brilliant.  The album itself was just more of the same.  I'd wanted a lot more originality from it.  In saying that, the Feeling's album is a huge grower on me, I just listened to it all when I was exercising and it impressed me.  I hadn't really liked it that much the first time I listened to it.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #20 on: 18 Nov 2006, 23:49 »

Seconded.
You know what's disappointing? That no one bothered the spell Disintegration correctly. And I cannot think of one thing that was disappointing this album. On another note, Black Cherry by Goldfrapp, So, How's Your Girl by Handsome Boy Modeling School, Death Cab's Plans, Rilo Kiley's More Adventurous, Tortoise's TNT & Talib Kweli's The Beautiful Struggle all kind of let me down. There have been more, but I can't really think of them right now...
I like the way you work it.

muffy

« Reply #21 on: 19 Nov 2006, 00:10 »

I loved Plans!

But agreed on Rilo Kiley - that album was terrible in comparison to their other stuff - I blame the move from an independant label to a major, which kind of said - 'ok, twee's cute, but your singer's cuter, lets create an indie Christina Aguilera so that the boys will rush out, buy the album and a box of tissues'...

I'm not normally a fascist about major labels, I tend to think it benefits more bands than it hinders, but
a) I'm a saddle creek fetishist and
b) they took all the personality out of that album.

Another disappointing album was Mansun's Little Kix - they did Six, which was all brilliant proggy goodness and shat over the dying embers of Britpop, and then created a follow up consisting of MOR, radio friendly bilge that would make even Richard Ashcroft yawn.

It was a long time ago, but I still feel cheated, damnit!

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #22 on: 19 Nov 2006, 00:14 »

St. Anger is mediocre-good, but better than Reload which is mediocre.

Like many peoples have said I p2p albums before I buy so Im yet to be dissapointed. :)
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #23 on: 19 Nov 2006, 00:19 »

St. Anger is fucking terrible guys, I dunno where the hell this is coming from.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #24 on: 19 Nov 2006, 01:06 »

St. Anger is good, for a record that sounds like it was written and recorded entirely up Metallica's collective asshole.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #25 on: 19 Nov 2006, 01:17 »

I don't get the hate for Plans, especially those who go on about how the switch to a major ruined Death Cab. Sure, it's not as good as Something About Airplanes or Transatlanticism, but it really sounds like standard Death Cab.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

soak

« Reply #26 on: 19 Nov 2006, 03:43 »

() by Sigur R?s.

I bought ?g?tis Byrjun totally on a whim without ever hearing a song and it was the most awe inspiring music I had heard since a similar experience with GY!BE. After that I guess that () couldn't help but be a let down but the album itself is depressing.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #27 on: 19 Nov 2006, 04:59 »

() is one massive fucking downer, but that doesn't mean it's bad necessarily.

I know most people will think I'm some pop-loving moron for saying it, but I still prefer Takk... to any Sigur Ros I've heard.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: 19 Nov 2006, 05:01 »

The guy in my local record shop actually refused to order it in on the basis of its inherent terribleness, but being the occasional completist I am, insisted on buying it at a later date.  And then sold it a fortnight later.

What kind of shit-cunt wanker would refuse to order you a record just because he thought it was bad? Never shop there again, he and his whole damn family deserve to starve, the cunt.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #29 on: 19 Nov 2006, 05:03 »

The guy in my local record shop actually refused to order it in on the basis of its inherent terribleness, but being the occasional completist I am, insisted on buying it at a later date.? And then sold it a fortnight later.

What kind of shit-cunt wanker would refuse to order you a record just because he thought it was bad? Never shop there again, he and his whole damn family deserve to starve, the cunt.

Indeed.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #30 on: 19 Nov 2006, 05:40 »

Apoptygma Berzerk - You And Me Against The World

What the fuck did they smoke that convinced them that dropped their tried-and-tested genre-defining synthpop sound in favour of some shitty Stereophonies/Killers-lite bullshit and hiring the guirarist from Korn were good ideas?  :cry:

muffy

« Reply #31 on: 19 Nov 2006, 06:59 »

The guy in my local record shop actually refused to order it in on the basis of its inherent terribleness, but being the occasional completist I am, insisted on buying it at a later date.? And then sold it a fortnight later.

I forgave him when he recommended me an Azure Ray gig as a better alternative for my money...

And then accidentally slated his shop for being full of muso snobs for an NME article.

Scytale

« Reply #32 on: 19 Nov 2006, 08:25 »

Sometimes I buy a record think its really shit and then fall in love with it years later, Anathema's "A Fine Day TO Exit" was like that.

As for most recent disspointing album:

"Operation Mindcrime 2" by Queensryche. I love the original Op Mindcrime and I was hoping so much the sequel would live up to the originals legacy. There are a couple of good songs on there, I like the first 4 or 5 tracks a lot, but it's missing the huge songs the original had to close it off theres no "I Don't Believe in Love" or "Eyes of a Stranger". It's still the best thing Queensryche have put out in about 10 years though  :lol:

Felix_

« Reply #33 on: 19 Nov 2006, 08:28 »

Hmm...I thought the new Arcturus was one of the more disappointing records in a long long time.

On "St. Anger", I just heard 3/4th's of the record the other day, and I have to say it was easily one of the worst records I've ever heard in my life.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #34 on: 19 Nov 2006, 14:19 »

However bad Mindcrime 2 might or might not be ... it's still Mindcrime 2. And therefore awesome. I'll stick to that.
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2006, 19:17 by BeoPuppy »
My Art.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #35 on: 19 Nov 2006, 14:42 »

FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #36 on: 19 Nov 2006, 14:49 »

Or, you know ... we could let it go.
My Art.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #37 on: 19 Nov 2006, 15:25 »

However bad Mindcrime 2 might or might not be ... it's still Mindcrime 2. And therefor awesome. I'll stick to that.

i'm going to go with beo for once on this mindcrime 2 is brilliant and once they cut out all the crap stuff (and they do do this live) it works alot better

also i have to say there's nothing like the feeling of 40,000 people simultaneously shouting live s+m song to set the mood
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

TrueNeutral

« Reply #38 on: 19 Nov 2006, 18:22 »

I listened to St. Anger ONCE.

NEVER AGAIN.

This is saying something, because I have sat through countless spinnings of each Godsmack record and I can't sit through that.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #39 on: 19 Nov 2006, 20:59 »

I was talking about this on Gabbly last night

but, basically, after all the hubub about St. Anger, I realized I couldn't even remember what it sounded like. So I went and downloaded it.

BIGGEST MISTAKE EVAR

but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #40 on: 19 Nov 2006, 23:07 »

Hey, don't worry. I'll come visit your mangled ears in the hospital.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #41 on: 20 Nov 2006, 06:04 »

are the ears all that remained after his brain liquified?
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

Recent Vintage

« Reply #42 on: 20 Nov 2006, 06:19 »

Also, the Shout Out Louds album, was pretty bad.  I heard The Comeback and expected gold, and found out that the only song above mediocre was in fact The Comeback.

muffy

« Reply #43 on: 20 Nov 2006, 06:35 »

Never Ever and Please Please Please weren't that bad, even if the latter was a total Smiths rip...
but yeah, the rest was a bit weak.

It even made it onto the O.C soundtrack...

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #44 on: 20 Nov 2006, 10:37 »

I'm downloading St. Anger. Expect a track-by-track review.

Will

« Reply #45 on: 20 Nov 2006, 10:53 »

Johnny, because of you, Lars Ulrich is going to have to sell his house.  You should be ashamed.

NAPSTER BAD!  MONEY GOOD!

kablaaamo

« Reply #46 on: 21 Nov 2006, 02:00 »

You know what disappointed me? Fucking Sufjan Stevens. Everyone I know went on and on about how awesome he was, and how much I'd like him...and he seemed the type that generally I might like....but so not true. Boring as all hell. Best album of 2005 my ass.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #47 on: 21 Nov 2006, 07:05 »

Amputechture by The Mars Volta is pretty much a one trick pony, and the last song is hardly worthy of being an album ender.
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #48 on: 21 Nov 2006, 07:11 »

I'm downloading St. Anger. Expect a track-by-track review.

you miserable bastard.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #49 on: 21 Nov 2006, 07:21 »

I'm only miserable in that I listened to it all the way through, wrote the review and watched this damn forumbox eat my post.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up